• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why can't every pokémon trainer pokémon be their own character, then have the option to still play switching pt

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for the long title, but yeah...
I didn't play Smash 4 much, but when I did, I was always playing Charizard.

I loved playing Charizard, that I didn't try any other character on the roster except Mario & Greninja... Then he was slammed back into the Pokémon Trainer's gang...

I miss solo Charizard, so it got me wondering...

What if you had the option to play as the trio, or just one. Each one alone will have its own moveset, like Charizard did in Smash 4, and there own final smash...
Or, if you prefer Pokémon Trainer, you can choose them instead, and have access to the trio, just without there Down B or Solo Final Smash...

What do you think? Yes, before you ask, this is just an idea to get my Solo Charizard back...

Also, every Charizard, Squirtle, or Ivysaur amiibo would have the choice to be itself, or PT...

I think this sounds cool... Do you have any issues... Let's re-phrase that, What are your issues with my idea? Looking forward to reading your complaints- I mean thoughts...

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
I hated solo Charizard, but I'd be more than down for that idea.

Solo Squirtle sounds like it would super fun, and I'm all for making them more distinct so my sis can play Charizard while I play Squirtle.

Plus it'd spice Smashdown up a notch, separating them into three different slots.

I remember having an idea about making the Trainer an extra for any and all Pokemon reps and having a "build your team with the Pokemon characters in the game" function specific to the Trainer as a character, but separated 'mons would be a nice first step towards that otherwise fairly unrealistic idea (that I'd still really love to have tho).

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
I remember having an idea about making the Trainer an extra for any and all Pokemon reps and having a "build your team with the Pokemon characters in the game" function specific to the Trainer as a character, but separated 'mons would be a nice first step towards that otherwise fairly unrealistic idea (that I'd still really love to have tho).
I really like that idea, feels like it also fits the theme of Pokemon well! If you wanted to make a team of Ivysaur, Pichu and Incineroar then you can etc.

LittleGamer

Smash Rookie

Would be pretty cool in casual play honestly. I'm pretty sure it would be broken in competitive but when playing with friends it would really be super fun, especially since there are a lot of Pokemons in the cast.

Extremmefan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Extremmefan
3DS FC
1435-9705-2987
Would be pretty cool in casual play honestly. I'm pretty sure it would be broken in competitive but when playing with friends it would really be super fun, especially since there are a lot of Pokemons in the cast.
I think it'd just be reverted to the default team in competitive anyways. TOs would just put a rule for it to either use the separated 'mons or the default team.
So since competitive is pretty much self-managed anyways, I'd like that feature for casual play really.

Voodoo7995

Smash Journeyman
I was thinking you could have a full 4-special special moveset, and switch between :ultsquirtle::ultcharizard: with :GCLT::GCRT: and :GCB:.
I think Shield-B could do it just fine, similar to inkling's refill ability. Then they could all have they're own D Special at least...

D

Deleted member

Shield B Switching sadly wouldn’t work as well since you can’t do it in the air. But all in all I like the idea of having the Pokémon Trainer as they are, then in the next 3 character slots are the 3 Pokémon separately. It would be nice to have the option.

As for Down B’s and Final Smashes:

Squirtle:

Down B - Scald
Final Smash - Bubble Beam

Ivysaur:

Down B - Leech Seed
Final Smash - Solar Beam

Charizard:

Down B - Rock Smash
Final Smash - Blast Burn

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
I really hope this happens. I wanna play solo Squirtle and I'd be curious to see what they'd do for the Down-Special.
Maybe they can do this much later in the game's lifespan when perhaps they are a bit more lax in the updates and content.

LittleGamer

Smash Rookie
I would see Squirtle doing a Dive with Down B. Like, you can stay one or two seconds underwater (=hidden in floor) and pop by dropping the b button. If you stay too much, Squirtle reappers and have a bit of lag, without doing damages. Maybe it could do a splash if you do it real quick, that does not do damages but put the opponent away like neutral b.

For Ivysaur, I'd see something like Piranha plant gas, Ivy delivering spores.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
I would see Squirtle doing a Dive with Down B. Like, you can stay one or two seconds underwater (=hidden in floor) and pop by dropping the b button. If you stay too much, Squirtle reappers and have a bit of lag, without doing damages. Maybe it could do a splash if you do it real quick, that does not do damages but put the opponent away like neutral b.

For Ivysaur, I'd see something like Piranha plant gas, Ivy delivering spores.
I love that idea for Squirtle! I feel like the character sometimes struggles to get back down safely so having Dive as the Down B would further push the character's mobility.
Otherwise, another area Squirtle sometimes struggles in is its KO power so it could also have 'Bubble Beam' as its Down B which would be a medium ranged attack meant primarily for confirming KOs at hight percent if used wittingly. Grounded, it would shoot forward but in the air would shoot downward and suspend the pokemon for a brief second, giving nice coverage below against chasing opponents without risking a down-air hurt-box.

For Ivysaur it could have 'Poison Powder' which would be a thick purple burst of powder that poisons the opponent if caught in its somewhat lingering hitbox but leaves Ivysaur slightly vulnerable if not landing the initial burst. The move would have some noticeable start-up lag too making it more of a prediction tool or another overall way to control space. I can also see this giving Ivysaur more options to their ledge game, similar to how Piranha Plant has a 'poison' cloud it can use for ledge-guarding.
Other potentially more interesting moves that could be used instead would be Leech Seed, Sleep Powder, and Growth. However, thematically, Poison Powder does fit with Ivysaur's dual Poison typing.
Of course Solar Beam (from Project M) could also be used but I kinda doubt they'd do that and its a bit too redundant in Ivysaur's moveset. Not to mention Wario has a similar mechanic in his fart move which is considered fairly busted.

Top Bottom