• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Why buy the Wii u version?

VA3TO

Smash Apprentice
Lets be realistic, and I know that is rare. Who would spend $350 for a console just for smash?Everyone and their grandma has a 3ds, so why put out $350 for a Wii u?

While you COULD say "It has different stages", but to casuals it doesn't matter. Casuals are who really matter, and when they already have one system they would rather get the 3DS version.

Even if people don't have a 3ds and are waiting for smash it is cheaper to buy a 3ds and smash. People who are "true fans" will buy both, of course.

But this game needs to sell, and the 3ds is the better platform. The Wii u has two big(ER) series on it being pikmen and NSMBU. Why buy a console with no games when you can get a 3ds and-
Monster hunter
Kid icarus
Luigis mansion
Mario kart 7
NSMB2
3D land
SMT IV
Animal crossing
Paper mario
Fire emblem
OOT 3D
Star fox 64 3D.

Explain to me again why smash bros U.

I can see what you are trying to say even though it sounds like you are a complete filthy casual; but here's my two pence...

I do agree that the casual audience will more than likely buy it for the 3DS being the more popular system and all but the majority of Smash players will get it for the console regardless. People WILL buy a Wii U just to play Smash in HD for the first time, its inevitable. Being more competitively viable on the Wii U is also a plus seeing as Melee performed so well at EVO this year.

Squartle

Smash Apprentice
This is the stupidest discussion I have ever read on Smashboards. I have no idea what OP is on, but I want some.

There is literally nothing that the 3DS version will do better than the Wii U. NOT. ONE. THING. It's not a question of preference, we are talking about PROCESSING POWER.

There are three reasons, and three reasons only that consumers will buy the 3DS version:
  1. Cost. Since the 3DS is already well-established, the mobile version will be much easier for people to justify spending money on.
  2. Portability. Smash has never been on a handheld before. However, I don't really consider this a balance-tipping factor in the war between versions because this is the major selling point of all handheld systems and their respective games, not just 3DS Smash Bros.
  3. To complete the experience. From what I've seen, a surprising number of people are planning to spring for both versions so that they can have access to all the content. Again, I don't exactly consider this a balance-tipping factor, since pretty much the same reasoning can be used to get the Wii U version.
I'm not sure how you aren't grasping this. People aren't going to buy the 3DS version with the illusion that it's somehow a higher-quality experience than the HD home console big-screen experience that Smash Bros. has iterated on for more than a decade. It will be more polished, more streamlined, and it will most likely have more content simply by virtue of having more disc space than the 3DS cartridge.
I can say nothing more here. If you think people are going to buy the 3DS version because they actually believe it is the superior game, I can't help you. May God have mercy on your soul.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I know you are defending the Wii U, and I am not saying you are wrong for it, but come on. Saying that people who rather get 3DS is wrong is just as bad as what the OP said about the Wii U. I mean, you could say that the 3DS won't have HD, but I never heard of the Wii U having 3D. XBone is gonna have HD, the Ps4 is gonna have it, and so will the Wii U, but the 3DS is the only thing to support 3D. It will also have two screens all the time, so the characters on the bottom of the screen on the Wii U can be on the other screen for the 3DS. And if you haven't noticed, the only thing that has a second screen for the Wii U is a gamepad, so giving the gamepad special features is being unfair to other controls. The 3DS is superior in certain ways, and the Wii U is in others. If I wanted a fighting game with amazing graphics, I would be playing Dead or Alive instead of Smash.

Squartle

Smash Apprentice
I know you are defending the Wii U, and I am not saying you are wrong for it, but come on. Saying that people who rather get 3DS is wrong is just as bad as what the OP said about the Wii U. I mean, you could say that the 3DS won't have HD, but I never heard of the Wii U having 3D. XBone is gonna have HD, the Ps4 is gonna have it, and so will the Wii U, but the 3DS is the only thing to support 3D. It will also have two screens all the time, so the characters on the bottom of the screen on the Wii U can be on the other screen for the 3DS. And if you haven't noticed, the only thing that has a second screen for the Wii U is a gamepad, so giving the gamepad special features is being unfair to other controls. The 3DS is superior in certain ways, and the Wii U is in others. If I wanted a fighting game with amazing graphics, I would be playing Dead or Alive instead of Smash.

I didn't say people who would rather get the 3DS version are wrong to do so. I said that if their reason is because they think the 3DS version will actually be the superior Smash Bros. experience, they are wrong. The 3D screen is a cool feature, but it will hardly elevate the mobile version above the home console version.

I'm not quite sure what you said in the middle of that paragraph, so I'm going to ignore it and ask that you clarify. That whole bit about "being unfair to other controls".

Also, Dead or Alive has literally no place in this conversation. I don't play Smash Bros. because I want to play a fighting game, I play Smash Bros. because it's a unique and fun experience that no other game can replicate yet.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I'd rather get a 3DS smash because I will have a better experience with it. Does that make me delusional? Sure, the Wii U has this and that, but I will be able to devote more time into the 3DS one, because I can take it anywhere. I also have the ability to customize my characters unlike the Wii U.
There's also the fact that if I want to run a tournament, I won't have to set up TV's and Wii U's, because I already have my set up right in my hand.

Networker1

Smash Journeyman
I'd rather get a 3DS smash because I will have a better experience with it. Does that make me delusional? Sure, the Wii U has this and that, but I will be able to devote more time into the 3DS one, because I can take it anywhere. I also have the ability to customize my characters unlike the Wii U.
There's also the fact that if I want to run a tournament, I won't have to set up TV's and Wii U's, because I already have my set up right in my hand.
You reasoning here is a little sketchy... what makes you think it will be easier to run tournaments over a dozen 3ds's instead of 3 Wii Us? (just throwing 12 players out there, it could be any number)

Squartle

Smash Apprentice

You may have a better experience because what you are clearly looking for in your Smash game is portability. You'll notice above, that's one of the reasons I listed to buy the 3DS version.

However, you are delusional if you think that the actual gameplay, the GAME, will be better on the 3DS. We're still not certain how the character customizability works or to what degree either, so this isn't really an argument you can start using yet.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
An argument I can't start using yet? Isn't that what you can say about this whole 3DS vs Wii U topic? Also, aren't most tournaments 1v1? A dozen 3DS's in a tournament would be quicker than three Wii U's. This doesn't mean that you are only going to have that many Wii U's though, or people like you said (this was directed to Networker1).
Squartle, the gameplay is going to be the same on both, same characters, same physics, and same moves. The only difference would be adventure mode, and also, the Wii U could just have more useless stuff. I'm not saying I won't get the Wii U version, I will, just want to prioritize the 3DS version.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
You know, I have a feeling one of the biggest reasons why the Wii U one will be considered better is because of 1080p replays and ease of recordability from like PVR's.

JetpackX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JetpackX
3DS FC
0877-2713-1529
I also think the Wii U version will be simpler to have, because what if a few friends want to play SSB4? They shouldn't have to buy a 3DS just to play one game.

JetpackX

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JetpackX
3DS FC
0877-2713-1529
Also, I think tournaments would be harder with the 3DS, because how would you record a 3DS without modding it using a capture card?

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Also, I think tournaments would be harder with the 3DS, because how would you record a 3DS without modding it using a capture card?
This is really the only problem I see with the 3DS. Luckily people have already come up with a solution somewhere in the 3DS forum.

EDIT: I'm done defending the 3DS here. I mean, if someone made a thread asking why people would buy the 3DS, I would probably do the same as what people are doing here with the Wii U.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Back when melee came out, I bought the smash cube and was first acquainted to my dear friend the smash controller,

enter 2006 when I bought the interactive smash console in excitement for smash bros brawl. I still have that console for the simple sake of playing hack smash and regularly update my library of smash controllers for respectable brawls, melees and 64s.

Alas after E3 2013 I bought the smash U awaiting for the next smashing good time. Now I do have a nintendo game here and there that I play occasionally but for me, smash has been the console seller since 2001. I can without a doubt that I'm not the only one either. I have friends who bought the Wii and smash controllers just for Brawl and/or Melee. That being that is the only game they have for that system.

Salty the SLUG

Smash Ace
Lets be realistic, and I know that is rare. Who would spend $350 for a console just for smash?Everyone and their grandma has a 3ds, so why put out $350 for a Wii u?

While you COULD say "It has different stages", but to casuals it doesn't matter. Casuals are who really matter, and when they already have one system they would rather get the 3DS version.

Even if people don't have a 3ds and are waiting for smash it is cheaper to buy a 3ds and smash. People who are "true fans" will buy both, of course.

But this game needs to sell, and the 3ds is the better platform. The Wii u has two big(ER) series on it being pikmen and NSMBU. Why buy a console with no games when you can get a 3ds and-
Monster hunter
Kid icarus
Luigis mansion
Mario kart 7
NSMB2
3D land
SMT IV
Animal crossing
Paper mario
Fire emblem
OOT 3D
Star fox 64 3D.

Explain to me again why smash bros U.
You forgot Pokemon X and Y. =3

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Smash and Zelda are the whole reason why I keep buying Nintendo Consoles. Anything else is just icing on the cake.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I honestly wouldn't know, but I was thinking a free for all... like in the tourney mode on Brawl...
I wish they did free for all tournaments. Most people would most likely camp away though, so I don't think it will happen soon.

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
I wish they did free for all tournaments. Most people would most likely camp away though, so I don't think it will happen soon.
Ah free for alls, the only time ganondorf's warlock punch has a chance of hitting XD

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Ah free for alls, the only time ganondorf's warlock punch has a chance of hitting XD
I remember there was this one stage with only four blocks (custom stage), and I used Ganondorf's Down special to hit everyone right away. That was a huge mistake because everyone was knocked right above me and just juggled me around.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
Can this thread.... die? It's already died on the inside.
I was trying to respond to other threads, so I can move this one back where no one can see it.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
You just HAD to bump this thread back up

finalark

SNORLAX
When I was a kid, a portable Smash Bros game was my dream.

Now that I'm an adult, ****ing having to hunch over to look at that tiny ass screen to play smash AND demanding that all of my friends go and blow $200 or so if they want to play with me.

Not only that, but since I never really go on vacation anymore I don't really even play handheld games anymore as it is.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
When I was a kid, a portable Smash Bros game was my dream.

Now that I'm an adult, ****ing having to hunch over to look at that tiny *** screen to play smash AND demanding that all of my friends go and blow $200 or so if they want to play with me.

Not only that, but since I never really go on vacation anymore I don't really even play handheld games anymore as it is.
Dude, your signature is just hilarious.
Anyways, I think that Wii Fit trainer will definitely eat corn. I mean, it's healthy, and she doesn't have to worry about dancing.

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Not simply because the 3ds is doing better. Most all the casuals who supported the Wii ae gone. It is moar likely to sell on the 3ds the Wii u will get the usual, but like I said the 3ds has that. The 3ds will have more of a community.obviously because of higher sales. More people playing online. And I wouldn't be surprised to see 3ds running 60FPS. If Mk7 does smash will
Just because Mario Kart 7 runs at a solid 60 FPS does not mean Smash will. Smash is a game that is more chaotic, so maintaining a solid frame rate with four different AIs, dynamic backgrounds, stage collisions and effects, items appearing and effects, final smashes, and others might not be enough for the 3DS to handle. It could if the game was optimised well, however.

nessokman

Smash Lord
Just because Mario Kart 7 runs at a solid 60 FPS does not mean Smash will. Smash is a game that is more chaotic, so maintaining a solid frame rate with four different AIs, dynamic backgrounds, stage collisions and effects, items appearing and effects, final smashes, and others might not be enough for the 3DS to handle. It could if the game was optimised well, however.
Excuse me? You act as if there are always hellish situations on screen. Mk7 can handle 8 karts, beautiful scenery, while multiple people are using triple red/green shells, blue shells, bomb ombs blowing up, and bullet bill. And it can do all that running 60 FPS. And Aldo manages that online.

3ds can handle smash, it will be just as good frame wise.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Technical limitations aren't a problem for the 3DS, unless you're gonna pull a Black Hole glitch which even made the Wii feel like throwing in the towel.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I think another thing in the Wii U version's favor is the filesize of the disc. The maxinum size of a Wii Game is 25 GB, 3 times the size of Brawl's. Meaning if Sakurai uses as much space as possible. It will have much more content then any Smash game's ever had before. And with no filesize hog like the SSE. And the fact they had so much music with a nearly 8 GB Brawl disc. There's literally so much potential and could lead to alot of surprises when the game releases. Especially when in the site for the game it isn't showing as much as Brawl did. We'll literrally only have a whole bunch of screenshots showing occasionally some of the new items and stages, and of course the occasional character reveal. But otherwise there's more room for surprises.

I'm not saying the 3DS won't have it's good amount of content. The maximum size of a 3DS game is almost just as big as a maxinum Wii game. But the Wii U when used to it's full potential could have 3x time that. And when you have both, you technially have a maximum of 33 GB of content spread across two games.

And content's a really big deal for Smash. The extra content we got in Melee and Brawl all added to the experience. And for those like me that have chosen Brawl as my favorite of the games. We point to the massive amount of content. Smash 4 could make Brawl seem empty in comparison.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I think another thing in the Wii U version's favor is the filesize of the disc. The maxinum size of a Wii Game is 25 GB, 3 times the size of Brawl's. Meaning if Sakurai uses as much space as possible. It will have much more content then any Smash game's ever had before. And with no filesize hog like the SSE. And the fact they had so much music with a nearly 8 GB Brawl disc. There's literally so much potential and could lead to alot of surprises when the game releases. Especially when in the site for the game it isn't showing as much as Brawl did. We'll literrally only have a whole bunch of screenshots showing occasionally some of the new items and stages, and of course the occasional character reveal. But otherwise there's more room for surprises.

I'm not saying the 3DS won't have it's good amount of content. The maximum size of a 3DS game is almost just as big as a maxinum Wii game. But the Wii U when used to it's full potential could have 3x time that. And when you have both, you technially have a maximum of 33 GB of content spread across two games.

And content's a really big deal for Smash. The extra content we got in Melee and Brawl all added to the experience. And for those like me that have chosen Brawl as my favorite of the games. We point to the massive amount of content. Smash 4 could make Brawl seem empty in comparison.
I'd actually like to see how much Sakurai puts in the game. I have no idea what he would do with so much storage though.

Squartle

Smash Apprentice
I'd actually like to see how much Sakurai puts in the game. I have no idea what he would do with so much storage though.
I would like the answer to this to be, "As much music as I possibly can". And costumes.

Top Bottom