• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why aren't there any "similar normals, different specials" semi-echoes? (as opposed to "similar specials, different normals")

Quillion

Smash Hero
When it comes to semi-echoes, there are three general patterns I can see:
  • They have mostly similar specials and normals to their template: (:ultdoc:, :ultpichu:, :ultyounglink:)
  • They have mostly similar specials, but different normals to their template: (:ultfalco:, :ultganondorf:, :ultlucas:,:ultroy:, :ulttoonlink:, :ultwolf:)
  • Specials and normals are about half-similar, half-different to their template: (:ultluigi:, :ultisabelle:)
But oddly, despite Sakurai's penchant for using semi-echoes and echoes to decrease overall resources when plausible (mostly), we don't have any semi-echoes that mostly have similar normals, but different specials.

I personally don't get it, since having semi-echoes that share normals but not specials would be one of the best ways of creating the illusion of unique characters without doing too much animation work; they would only need to fully animate four moves as opposed to the jab, tilts, Smashes, airs, grab, and throws. Besides, normals aside from Smashes aren't particularly unique; most would admit that specials help more in appearing (not necessarily being) unique as they are "specials" after all.

I guess Jigglypuff in 64 was one of Kirby, but that ship has sailed, and now we're left with no semi-echoes that mainly share normals but not specials.

rlwrgh

Smash Apprentice
The Castlevania characters kind of have this with the holy water difference and it is also the main function of the miis, but more would be good. I agree with your idea that it would be easier to make a character seem more unique just by changing the 4 specials. Off the top of my head it won't ever happen but since I'm a fan of starfox I want slippy and peppy in using this type of treatment, and with the work they had in smash 4 with the custom moves there is some precident for that though idk if any of that work would be able to be copy pasted or used to save them any deleopment time.

Quillion

Smash Hero
The Castlevania characters kind of have this with the holy water difference and it is also the main function of the miis, but more would be good. I agree with your idea that it would be easier to make a character seem more unique just by changing the 4 specials. Off the top of my head it won't ever happen but since I'm a fan of starfox I want slippy and peppy in using this type of treatment, and with the work they had in smash 4 with the custom moves there is some precident for that though idk if any of that work would be able to be copy pasted or used to save them any deleopment time.
Would Slippy and Peppy use weapons from Assault, or would they go more original like Fox was? I feel the latter is more likely since Nintendo ignores all of the non-EPD-developed Star Fox titles.

I think other good candidates for "similar normals, different specials" semi-echoes would be Galacta Knight to Meta Knight, and a revamp of the other Links to Link (plus an OoT/TP Link full echo for good measure).

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
I’d argue changing the Specials doesn’t even need to be done to make a character feel unique. You’d be surprised at how different, sat, Daisy would feel if her counter healed instead of counterattacking, or plucked the same vegetables every time, and so on.

That’s not to say I disagree with your point. I’ve been campaigning for a Shadow Mario cline with different specials for years, but this seems like the best time for semiclones to live up to their fullest potential.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I’d argue changing the Specials doesn’t even need to be done to make a character feel unique. You’d be surprised at how different, sat, Daisy would feel if her counter healed instead of counterattacking, or plucked the same vegetables every time, and so on.
I agree that just changing hitbox properties or frame data is enough to make a character feel unique even if they're an echo. But I said "appearing" unique, not necessarily being unique.

Those seem like cool ideas for Daisy, though. I'd say that her Down B should have her pull out various sports balls.

rlwrgh

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps this will become an unofficial thing when the modding community opens up this game more.

Perhaps this will become an unofficial thing when the modding community opens up this game more.
would it be within the intent of your op to come up with examples of this or should I open a new topic?

Davidk92

Smash Cadet
They have mostly similar specials and normals to their template: (:ultdoc:, :ultpichu:, :ultyounglink:)
*JonTron voice* Excuse me, whaaaaaaat?

I don't play Pichu very much, so I can't speak for them, but like... Doc and Yink are only superficially similar. Both of them have PLENTY of moves that their "original" counterparts don't have (and in Doc's case, absolutely should have dammit). So I don't see how you can say they're "mostly similar".

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero

I don't play Pichu very much, so I can't speak for them, but like... Doc and Yink are only superficially similar. Both of them have PLENTY of moves that their "original" counterparts don't have (and in Doc's case, absolutely should have dammit). So I don't see how you can say they're "mostly similar".
Man, I really hate it when people deny the similarities with moves just on the numbers behind them even though the animations are anywhere from similar to identical.

Really, is Doc just having different animations for d-air, b-throw, side special, and down special really "plenty" to you?

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778

This is purely on animation alone.

Moves that Mario doesn't have that Doc does:

*Dair
*B-Throw
*Neutral B (arguably)
*Side B (arguably)
*Down B

Moves that YL has that Link doesn't:

*Dash Attack
*Grab (throws are identical)
*Down B

Last edited:

Davidk92

Smash Cadet
Man, I really hate it when people deny the similarities with moves just on the numbers behind them even though the animations are anywhere from similar to identical.

Really, is Doc just having different animations for d-air, b-throw, side special, and down special really "plenty" to you?
I would need to boot up Smash and run through their movesets to give exact examples (which I'm not going to since it's freaking two am over here), but I can guarantee there's way more than just that.

Also, "different animations"? Yeah, the only difference between a rapidly spinning drop and a mid-air stomp is the animation, is it? The only difference between using fire and electricity is the animation, is it? The only difference between a special hitting from the side and below is animation, is it?

Quillion

Smash Hero
I would need to boot up Smash and run through their movesets to give exact examples (which I'm not going to since it's freaking two am over here), but I can guarantee there's way more than just that.

Also, "different animations"? Yeah, the only difference between a rapidly spinning drop and a mid-air stomp is the animation, is it? The only difference between using fire and electricity is the animation, is it? The only difference between a special hitting from the side and below is animation, is it?
Look, I'm not saying that they play identically. I'm saying that several moves are similar, either due to animation, numbers/properties, or some combination of the two.

And believe me, I'm not part of the "clones suck" crowd. I agree that just copying animations for another character, then modifying the hitbox properties and/or frames will make them play differently.

But video games are a visual medium. You can parrot that mechanics matter more than visuals all you want, but it's clear that they copied and or tweaked certain moves to make another character. Just making Mario's n-air's clean hit later in the move for Doc doesn't make it not similar. Just reusing a lot of Smash 4 Link's animations for Young Link doesn't make him not similar to lefty Link.

I can tell you're passionate about the idea of semi-echoes being their own character, but if you're just here to deny similarities between semi-echoes and their templates. I suggest you don't participate in this topic.

Last edited:

Davidk92

Smash Cadet
Look, I'm not saying that they play identically. I'm saying that several moves are similar, either due to animation, numbers/properties, or some combination of the two.

And believe me, I'm not part of the "clones suck" crowd. I agree that just copying animations for another character, then modifying the hitbox properties and/or frames will make them play differently.

But video games are a visual medium. You can parrot that mechanics matter more than visuals all you want, but it's clear that they copied and or tweaked certain moves to make another character. Just making Mario's n-air's clean hit later in the move for Doc doesn't make it not similar. Just reusing a lot of Smash 4 Link's animations for Young Link doesn't make him not similar to lefty Link.

I can tell you're passionate about the idea of semi-echoes being their own character, but if you're just here to deny similarities between semi-echoes and their templates. I suggest you don't participate in this topic.
You didn't say "SEVERAL" you said "MOST". And if you're not part of the "clones suck crowd" you're certainly acting like it.

I'm not here to "deny" anything except that Doc is way more than just a copy-paste of Mario. Hell, I've argued in the past that Mario should have DOC's moveset more than anything (heck i might even make a topic about that here...). And to accuse me of somehow thinking ALL semi-echoes aren't identical for it and telling me not to participate is horse**** and you ****ing know it.

Quillion

Smash Hero
You didn't say "SEVERAL" you said "MOST".
Yeah, most of the moves are still similar. I just didn't want to repeat words over and over.

And if you're not part of the "clones suck crowd" you're certainly acting like it.
Then explain why I want semi-echoes that share normals but not specials.

I'm not here to "deny" anything except that Doc is way more than just a copy-paste of Mario. Hell, I've argued in the past that Mario should have DOC's moveset more than anything (heck i might even make a topic about that here...). And to accuse me of somehow thinking ALL semi-echoes aren't identical for it and telling me not to participate is horse**** and you ****ing know it.
And I'm not saying that Doc is a Mario copy-paste. But a lot of aspects, hell most moves, were copied and tweaked to make the semi-echoes. For some they do something like make Mario's n-air be strong on late rather than clean; for others they change the animation for Doc's Side-B (plus it doesn't help recover, but oh well). But again: just changing those frames and/or hitbox properties on most moves, even with identical, non-edited animations, are enough to make the characters play different. Please don't make me repeat myself further.

And when I said "you shouldn't participate in this topic", literally all you're doing is attacking me for commenting about those three characters fulfilling a certain general pattern of semi-echoes, which is only tangentially related. You haven't said a single word about why there aren't any "similar normals, different specials" semi-echoes.

In all honesty, I think you're just as bad as the "clones suck" crowd if you're attacking my desires as someone who is part of it.

Davidk92

Smash Cadet
Flaming Warning
k you do that

I'm going to bed, I'm too tired and sick to deal with this ****.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778

Nobody discredits their playstyles, which everyone agrees are distinct.

It has been stated how stats and property changes distinguish a move from others.

And many people are aware of the different interactions between elemental attributes.

But it would be unwise to discard animations.

Quillon could have definitely used a better tone, though.

Last edited:

Kamtheman56

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kamtheman56
3DS FC
3222-6187-6285
Even changing something like the stats of a character such as run speed, jump height, attack damage, or even hitbox properties can make them feel completely different. Think for example Falco, Young Link, or even Ganondorf all in Melee. With only one wholey unique thing to them and the rest were stat differences or hitbox properties but felt very different to play and that was perfectly fine. If they would've done the same with Smash4 Clones or Ultimate Echoes I would've been perfectly down for it. Easy ones that come to mind are Richter is slower and weaker than Simon but is faster and his holy water travels forward along the ground when used instead of stationary.

TL:DR Simple stat changes go a long way

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think Isabelle comes closest towards what you are saying OP. However, I’d like more characters included like this. I also agree the Star Fox cast could work like this, always was an advocate for more clonish newcomers like this as long as the character they’re adding is worth it, for example; Toad, Slippy Toad, Impa, Funky Kong, Raichu, Charizard X, Mewtwo Y/X (one a total glass canon the other heavier with more brawling moves) ... name it. There’s lots to work with still!

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
The Castlevania characters kind of have this with the holy water difference...
The difference between their Holy Waters is literally the most insignificant detail possible. Literally the only difference between those two moves is their elemental properties. They are the epitome of the wasted potential that most of the Smash Ultimate echoes are.

Contrast that with Ness and Lucas* whose specials are clearly based on the same theme, but have way more differentiating characteristics:

PK Fire
  • Ness's traps you in fire, Lucas's explodes.
  • Ness's travels 45 degrees downward in air, Lucas's always travels straight horizontal.
PK Thunder
  • Lucas's turns tighter
  • Ness's in stronger, but disappears when the head touches a fighter. Lucas's continues.
Their PSI Magnets are also different, but I'm not confident I know the differences well enough to list them. Point is that even though their specials look similar, there are enough difference between them that those differences affect how you use them in every aspect of the match, and not just a boring technical difference like "one hurts Red Pikmin, the other can set off bombs". Any idiot can tell the difference between Ness's and Lucas's specials after using them for one match, but you have to be told the difference between the two Belmonts' Holy Waters.

* I know they're not echoes! That's not the point.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Even changing something like the stats of a character such as run speed, jump height, attack damage, or even hitbox properties can make them feel completely different. Think for example Falco, Young Link, or even Ganondorf all in Melee. With only one wholey unique thing to them and the rest were stat differences or hitbox properties but felt very different to play and that was perfectly fine. If they would've done the same with Smash4 Clones or Ultimate Echoes I would've been perfectly down for it. Easy ones that come to mind are Richter is slower and weaker than Simon but is faster and his holy water travels forward along the ground when used instead of stationary.

TL:DR Simple stat changes go a long way
Yeah, I don't even get why they're not doing stat changes for echoes anymore.

But even then, I don't get why they choose to declone most echoes by changing their normals but only one special at most. It seems like less work to just change the four specials rather than 11 normals.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think the rest the reason is quite clear, they spend a lot of work into the returning of all earlier Smash games, newcomers outside of the obvious most wanted requested like K.Rool and Ridley mixed with other personal picks amongst the popular and realizable whereby not a top priority. They where made to beef up the total amount of playable characters, much like in Melee but even with less priority. In Melee, the clones where added to add into the total amount of newcomers. They had nothing else as main priority, Ultimate had! This is why they went so far to add every previous character back. I would also argue the Melee clones where more important/ requested / “core” characters around that time. And went for statistical differences from the original characters. In hindsight, we should be thankful for he differences in Echoes as Chrom and Ken. They play quite a lot different in the end from their counter parts.

I myself am totally down for more clones, as long as they are good worthy additions and not totally random and unfitting. There’s lots of possibilities still, especially amongst Nintendo ranch uses that haven’t had a newcomer for a long time; Zelda, Kirby, Star Fox.. these are the franchises that started Smash. To make things more interesting, they could bring back stuff from earlier Smash games.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I think the rest the reason is quite clear, they spend a lot of work into the returning of all earlier Smash games, newcomers outside of the obvious most wanted requested like K.Rool and Ridley mixed with other personal picks amongst the popular and realizable whereby not a top priority. They where made to beef up the total amount of playable characters, much like in Melee but even with less priority. In Melee, the clones where added to add into the total amount of newcomers. They had nothing else as main priority, Ultimate had! This is why they went so far to add every previous character back. I would also argue the Melee clones where more important/ requested / “core” characters around that time. And went for statistical differences from the original characters. In hindsight, we should be thankful for he differences in Echoes as Chrom and Ken. They play quite a lot different in the end from their counter parts.

I myself am totally down for more clones, as long as they are good worthy additions and not totally random and unfitting. There’s lots of possibilities still, especially amongst Nintendo ranch uses that haven’t had a newcomer for a long time; Zelda, Kirby, Star Fox.. these are the franchises that started Smash. To make things more interesting, they could bring back stuff from earlier Smash games.
I know the Melee echoes are started out as straight clones with different stats, but later games differentiated their normals. Brawl's semi-echoes started out sharing specials but not normals. Ultimate's echoes, Chrom and Ken aside, share stats and normals.

What I'm wondering is why they won't change specials and not normals on semi-echoes. Again, just changing 4 specials instead of 11 normals seems like less work.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
What I'm wondering is why they won't change specials and not normals on semi-echoes. Again, just changing 4 specials instead of 11 normals seems like less work.
Well, it can actually result in more work depending on the direction they take with the specials.

Of course, this would apply mostly in extreme cases.

Their PSI Magnets are also different, but I'm not confident I know the differences well enough to list them.
Ness's covers his whole body, while Lucas's is projected from his hand, giving him a blindspot in his back. Lucas's heals more, but has slightly more endlag.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Well, it can actually result in more work depending on the direction they take with the specials.

Of course, this would apply mostly in extreme cases.
Maybe if they're going to make the specials have all-new mechanics, sure. But say if they gave Toon Link new specials based on his Wind Waker's items. Deku Leaf recovery would work like G&W's up-B, Skull Hammer could work like DK's headbutt, and Grappling Hook could work like Isabelle's side-B.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
Maybe if they're going to make the specials have all-new mechanics, sure. But say if they gave Toon Link new specials based on his Wind Waker's items. Deku Leaf recovery would work like G&W's up-B, Skull Hammer could work like DK's headbutt, and Grappling Hook could work like Isabelle's side-B.
I'd still say that takes a fair amount of work.

Daisycakes

Banned via Warnings
Probably for balancing reasons. They don't want to change too much with the echoes because then that's a whole new moveset to balance.

ze9

Smash Ace
Specials are the most defining moves of a character, if you're gonna give someone 4 unique specials you might as well just go all-in and make a complete new moveset.
They also probably take longer than normal moves to program/balance. Just think of how many more weird interactions are born from Isabelle's fishing rod or Ridley's scraping you against the floor compared to, say, Luigi's fireball having a different trajectory or Wolf's slightly stonger reflector which are both based on things already in the game.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Specials are the most defining moves of a character, if you're gonna give someone 4 unique specials you might as well just go all-in and make a complete new moveset.
Not necessarily. Say if Galacta Knight were a semi-echo of Meta Knight, it would be hard to come up with normals that are distinct for him. But specials would be easy, as he has his light swords, circling laser, shield beam, and thunderbolts.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Yeah, this is definitely a valid point.

But I still would have wanted a few more changes for them.

I do understand that they can't be too different, but please.
Yeah, stat changes would just have been enough, but hopefully not as quick 'n dirty like Doc is (though the new moves are appreciated).

Even then, if they have trouble creating new specials for the semi-echoes, they could just derive them from other characters. Like my suggestions earlier:

But say if they gave Toon Link new specials based on his Wind Waker's items. Deku Leaf recovery would work like G&W's up-B, Skull Hammer could work like DK's headbutt, and Grappling Hook could work like Isabelle's side-B.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Many feel this path is what the Octolings or a revised Dark Pit could take in a future game: similar normals, but different weapons from their games.

rlwrgh

Smash Apprentice
Many feel this path is what the Octolings or a revised Dark Pit could take in a future game: similar normals, but different weapons from their games.
it might be good to use some of the better custom moves from smash4 as a base to start making these new echoes with new specials

Quillion

Smash Hero
Ken is only 10% faster on the ground., yet it makes such a difference.

Then again, Ken could be seen as the closest to a semi-clone in an Echo Fighter, so...
Ken's the only echo with that kind of Melee-like stat change. Dark Pit and Lucina have hitbox changes here and there, but they're still not on the level of the Melee echoes.

I admit, it's kinda hard for me to think of outright different specials for the Octolings other than the charger. I was thinking that they could have the charger for their neutral B, then just have the rest of their specials and normals be the same but with different weapons from the corresponding class (like Dynamo for Side-B or Clash Blaster for Up-Smash).

Maybe Dark Pit can have claws for Side-B and a club for Down-B. Claws would be similar to Pit's Brawl Side-B without reflecting, while Club could reflect projectiles while being a keep-away damage move.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778
Ken's the only echo with that kind of Melee-like stat change. Dark Pit and Lucina have hitbox changes here and there, but they're still not on the level of the Melee echoes.
That's the thing.

Ken is a well-made clone (fitting, for he is the original clone character in FGs). Lucina's changes are noticeable and do have an immediate effect on her playstyle, and so do Chrom's (though his are a bit more extreme). Furthermore, though Dark Pit doesn't have much changes, these do have some weight to them, meaning that must consider choosing the one that fits you the most between him and Pit.

It's why Dark Samus, Richter and Daisy, as fighters, annoy me (which is sad because I love them as characters). There is simply no reason to choose between them or their original (Samus, Simon and Peach) outside of character loyalty. I appreciate them taking the time to change Dark Samus's non-combat animations (and some moves), but the other two are alternate costumes at best.

And yeah, 3.0.0 making Daisy's turnips match Peach's annoys me to no end.

Also, Dark Samus should have also kept her electric bombs from pre-release.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I always felt that Proto Man could work like this. He can do all of the same things as Mega Man, so they could easily give him the same normals. Then he could borrow some of Mega Man’s custom specials from Smash 4, along with a shield bash for his side special.

They could do a similar thing with Medusa. Give her all of Palutena’s normals (with some visual tweaks), along with some of Palu’s unique custom specials from Smash 4.

Smash 4 had some really interesting custom specials and I’m surprised that they didn’t do anything with them for Ultimate.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I always felt that Proto Man could work like this. He can do all of the same things as Mega Man, so they could easily give him the same normals. Then he could borrow some of Mega Man’s custom specials from Smash 4, along with a shield bash for his side special.

They could do a similar thing with Medusa. Give her all of Palutena’s normals (with some visual tweaks), along with some of Palu’s unique custom specials from Smash 4.

Smash 4 had some really interesting custom specials and I’m surprised that they didn’t do anything with them for Ultimate.
I think they could go further and just give them unrelated specials altogether. Just having to work on specials alone probably saves a lot of work.

Other obvious candidates for a "similar normals, different specials" semi-echo include Galacta Knight for Meta Knight (give the former his signature abilities in his boss fights) and Octoling for Inkling (give the former different weapons like a Splatling and Charger).

Top Bottom