• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why are there still Melee competitions?

Birdygamer

Smash Cadet
Melee is severely broken, all you find on competition is Fox, Shiek, or Marth, you rarely if ever find someone higher and the game is like over a decade old, why does this game still have such a huge competition scene despite a severely bad balance? It's just predictable now

KatKit

Smash Lord
The Sailor Moon fighting game, which is older and objectively more broken, is still played competitively. Mostly as a side event, but the point still stands.

A game like Melee has a lot of depth; people keep refining and evolving the meta even now. It's unique and fun to play/watch. It isn't going anywhere. My point is that fighting game enthusiasts are loyal as heck, especially if a game is solid. Now, excuse me while I go play Smash 64.

Last edited:

Birdygamer

Smash Cadet
Since when does it have much depth? You know how to win a Melee competition? Use Fox

KatKit

Smash Lord
The fact that a competitive game has a top tier character doesn't mean that it lacks depth. It also doesn't mean that someone will automatically win if they pick that character.

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
Melee is severely broken, all you find on competition is Fox, Shiek, or Marth, you rarely if ever find someone higher and the game is like over a decade old, why does this game still have such a huge competition scene despite a severely bad balance? It's just predictable now
You're clearly over exaggerating in your first statement and you didn't even include Falco who I'd argue is more popular than Sheik. Additionally, it seems like you've been sleeping under a rock for the past 2 years because HBOX Puff has been dominating the Melee competitive scene. Pikachu, Yoshi, Captain Falcon, and Peach are all also viable options to win tournaments and people with the right skills have done exactly that.

"Severely broken?" Really? If someone's arm is severely broken, they are physically unable to use it. Yes the game may have its issues, but no it is not "severely broken".

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
I’m sorry you underestimate the giant that is competitive Melee.

The fact that Melee has a strong meta, a steep learning curve, and a large community naturally draws people to strive and become better. Sure, it’s busted, but so is MvC2, an older game which is still being played to this day despite seing the same characters over and over. The verdict is that nothing is “predictable” in the meta; there have been insane matches with low tiers that have blown my mind. I think you should do yourself a favor and carefully observe at least ten Melee matches to truly understand just how deep this game can get.

Last edited:

Don Weaso

Smash Rookie
Since when does it have much depth? You know how to win a Melee competition? Use Fox
Since when does it have much depth? You know how to win a Smash 64 competition? Use Pikachu
Since when does it have much depth? You know how to win a Brawl competition? Use Meta Knight
Since when does it have much depth? You know how to win a Smash 4 competition? Use Bayonetta

Top Bottom