• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why are there only 4 Heroes?

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Hero could've been like Bowser Jr. and each one of his 8 alts could have been a different character. There are plenty of heroes to go around. They even have the rights to use them since they are all featured in the Final Smash. So why did they only go with 4?

I most likely think it's due to development time. Making 8 unique models is a lot for DLC time. But could you imagine if all 8 of them were different heroes? What would you have wanted the other 4 to be?

Me, personally? I'd want the other 4 to be the heroes from:

Dragon Quest 1
Dragon Quest 2
Dragon Quest 6
Dragon Quest 10

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
i think it's mostly because as it stands it gives each hero their own alternate appearance rather than just having one and only one color

Bowser Junior's schtick was cool and all but it did mean you couldn't have any cool little reference colors these were just the characters as they usually are no bells or whistles attached

and when in smash the default appearance is always the most bland

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
for 1 think it was because his model would have been bigger than everyone else's
for 2 the hero in that game canonically couldn't use magic
for 6 I got no idea because I never played 6 or did research on it.
for 10... it just might be because we never saw 10 here in the west.

Personally, I'd have preferred it if they chose alternate costumes from DQ8 and DQ11 for their respective heroes and use those as alts while using gender swaps for DQ3 and DQ4's Heroes.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
for 1 think it was because his model would have been bigger than everyone else's
Why is that? Is it the helmet? The horns don't have to have a hurtbox.

for 2 the hero in that game canonically couldn't use magic
for 6 I got no idea because I never played 6 or did research on it.
for 10... it just might be because we never saw 10 here in the west.
I never knew that about 2. Too bad. And I didn't think it would matter if 10 never came out in the West since most westerners are unaware of the series anyway. Besides I like 10's design, even if he did come from a divisive game that tried to introduce MMO stuff.

Truth be told, I've only ever played DQ 1 and 3. Never got far with them because old NES Rpgs are, well, very grindy. But I've always been fascinated with the series due to it's art style and music. So I look at a lot of the characters and enemies from the games and read up on them. As a result I wanted even more of those great designs in Smash. Am I being greedy?

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Because 4 is a party in DQ. But really its amazing we even got this many.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I do really wish that at least the Dragon Quest 1 the hero was playable. I started with dq1, and I thought it was delightful in its Simplicity and a how short it is. I'm kind of a fan to be honest. Probably a weird decision considering what the rest of the series has to offer, but I think it's my favorite. And anyway not having the one who started it all kind of feels weird to me. I guess I kind of understand how mother fans feel now ? ( I say, as if I wasn't also a mother fan )

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Because making more models and getting a different VA to grunt for all of them is probably more work and money than they're willing to put in.

LethalHero

Smash Cadet
NNID
LethalHeroX120
Dragon Quest 1- big model + couldn't use some spells that are showcased in smash
Dragon Quest 2- can't use magic
Dragon quest 5 - the story isn't really about the Hero, more on the other characters plus mostly depicted in his artwork with a staff.
Dragon Quest 6- said to be a black sheep from fans (otherwise I don't know.)
Dragon Quest 7- literally a kid
Dragon Quest 9- not sure (maybe the wings?)
Dragon Quest 10- more of an MMO more than a main series game.

Other than that, these are my guesses.

TheLightningYu

Smash Rookie
i think it's mostly because as it stands it gives each hero their own alternate appearance rather than just having one and only one color
But to be honest, i really enjoy the color references with alternative Erdrick -> Madason, Red Luminary for Angelo from DQVIII and alternative for Eight -> Terry from DQVI.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Dragon Quest 1- big model + couldn't use some spells that are showcased in smash
Dragon Quest 2- can't use magic
Dragon quest 5 - the story isn't really about the Hero, more on the other characters plus mostly depicted in his artwork with a staff.
Dragon Quest 6- said to be a black sheep from fans (otherwise I don't know.)
Dragon Quest 7- literally a kid
Dragon Quest 9- not sure (maybe the wings?)
Dragon Quest 10- more of an MMO more than a main series game.

Other than that, these are my guesses.
9's issue is that they don't have a definitive design as the hero is completely customized by the player in that game

Folt

Smash Ace
Because Classic Mode wanted references to DQ heroes across the series, with the other battles repping DQ battles against DQ enemies.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
I do really wish that at least the Dragon Quest 1 the hero was playable. I started with dq1, and I thought it was delightful in its Simplicity and a how short it is. I'm kind of a fan to be honest. Probably a weird decision considering what the rest of the series has to offer, but I think it's my favorite. And anyway not having the one who started it all kind of feels weird to me. I guess I kind of understand how mother fans feel now ? ( I say, as if I wasn't also a mother fan )
While that makes sense, and the Dragon Quest I Hero is cool, Erdrick (Dragon Quest III Hero) is the one who really started it all. So I think the lineup works.

Top Bottom