• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why are smash 4 controllers bad?

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
My old controllers are starting to malfunction like shielding when not suppose to, failing to grab, going wrong way,etc. A lot of players complain saying that smash 4 controllers aren't the way to go. If all I did was use the smash 4 circuit board would that work?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Clunky triggers (some can even get stuck down, but most are fine... Final press requires more force)

commonality of snap back issue

Not as good as Japan white, in regard to the percentage of controllers which will shield drop and backdash perfectly

They just feel different (texture, springy buttons and sticks, honestly the even feel ever so slightly bigger)

But really they're not bad. Every kind of GameCube controller (any color or model) can be bad. Lots of great sm4sh controllers out there.

Last edited:

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Really? In my experience the black ones have better triggers than the white ones
I mean the 2007 Japan white edition, not sm4sh white. I've tested several sm4sh white vs black and couldn't notice anything different in triggers. That quote was taken out of context also, I was referring to their ability to shield drop/backdash.

Squire

Smash Apprentice
I recently busted one of my old whatever-2001-something-idk-I-got-it-when-I-was-11 edition controllers and got a black smash 4 one to replace it and it felt a little off. I couldn't put my finger on it, but I kind of played around with it a bit, and let my friends use it for a few matches and they came to the same conclusion. They're just lower quality for whatever reason. They're kind of clunky, and honestly it almost felt a little loose or like... almost a 3D printed feel. A lot of my tech was ever slightly thrown off with it. Finally decided to get a Japanese white one and it's amazing. Idk, the sm4sh ones feel like a bunch of pieces of plastic (which they are, to be fair), the white Japanese ones feel so much smoother.

As far as just using the circuit board, it may work. I've taken mine apart and switched out buttons from my old controller to not much avail, but I haven't switched the shell or anything, so maybe. Worth a shot.

If it doesn't work though, it's worth the extra few bucks to get the Japanese one imo.

Red Ninja

Smash Rookie
M2K prefers the original controllers for melee: (from this article from thescoreesports http://www.thescoreesports.com/smas...rcoming-distractions-and-the-ideal-controller)

"
There is one other factor that M2K likes to bring up. He talks about his controller a lot, and how Nintendo's newer Smash 4-branded Gamecube controllers don't cut it for high-level Melee.

"I like the older generation," he says. "The older models are better, they haven't made the new ones as good. Nintendo made it with like, plastic and stuff. I don't think they care too much because they know it sells to most people, but I like the older generations of controllers. They were made with more metal instead of plastic. I don't know all the differences, but they were made better in a few areas."

Mew2King says that Smash 4 doesn't require as precise of a controller since you don't need to move the stick as much or as quickly for certain maneuvers. If a controller gets stuck during a dash animation in Melee, that could cost you a stock. Mew2King says he has a handful of what he would consider good tournament controllers. Anything else isn't even good enough for practice, which is why he doesn't play very much Melee at home.
"

FireTails

Smash Cadet
Wait they were considered bad? I have no problem with mine.
Crappy sticks and triggers, if you wanna play at a high level, just use the plat, blue, white, mario, black, or spice orange, or emerald blue. Loool a lot of controllers. Just don't use the sm4sh controller, it isn't as good for shield dropping as people make it out to be.

Mr Snak3_

Smash Apprentice
I've only used the sm4sh controllers and so far only noticed a flick back issue.
Might get an original one to see if there's a difference.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Crappy sticks and triggers, if you wanna play at a high level, just use the plat, blue, white, mario, black, or spice orange, or emerald blue. Loool a lot of controllers. Just don't use the sm4sh controller, it isn't as good for shield dropping as people make it out to be.
Lots of top players use sm4sh controllers. In the grand scheme of things, there's always a gamble involved no matter what model controller you go with. That's the reason why there are mixed opinions. Well, that and most players do not have experience with more than 10 controllers. I disagree with any negative comments regarding sm4sh controllers shield dropping ability. I've used and owned a lot of these, both black and white. Only the 2008 Japan white controllers have a better average for easy shield dropping. Although I would take a perfect platinum controller over a perfect sm4sh controller, you're more likely to find a perfect sm4sh controller.

Last edited:
Top Bottom