• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why are people so into paying for online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
no, I'm making people see that it's nothing but a ripoff.
if this was just to get more money, That doesn’t make it a rip off. Nintendo needs money to support their buisness, and I wouldn’t call 5 bucks a month a rip off. It’s quite generous.

Last edited:

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
if this was just to get more money, That doesn’t make it a rip off. Nintendo needs money to support their buisness, and I wouldn’t call 5 bucks a month a rip off. It’s quite generous.
so you're okay with companies getting money for nothing? They will just slack off.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
if a business is not trying to make money then it's called a charity and I believe nintendo is not a charity

D

Deleted member

Guys.... you guys gotta stop replying to this thread. Nothing is being accomplished, and at this point, nothing really matters. Crazy Hand 2001 Crazy Hand 2001 , if you dont like that you are paying for online, just dont pay for it. At this point I just want to end this thread and I will seek a mod if this keeps going because at this point this is just wasting server storage.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
^ That right there. Anyone else replying to this thread are only wasting their gotdamn time cuz this **** is getting nowhere fast.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Guys.... you guys gotta stop replying to this thread. Nothing is being accomplished, and at this point, nothing really matters. Crazy Hand 2001 Crazy Hand 2001 , if you dont like that you are paying for online, just dont pay for it. At this point I just want to end this thread and I will seek a mod if this keeps going because at this point this is just wasting server storage.
I mean yeah, true, I’ll stop now...While I’m making my final post, I’ll respond to Crazy Hand...
so you're okay with companies getting money for nothing? They will just slack off.
I said they need money to support their buisness, using that same logic, we could say every Nintendo game should be free.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
There was a more... reasonable spin-off of this topic. Hang on, I'll go dig it up...

EDIT: Found it. Everyone who actually wants to have a reasonable, intelligent discussion about Nintendo Switch Online (read: everyone with a higher IQ than Crazy Hand 2001 Crazy Hand 2001 (read: everybody except for Crazy Hand 2001)), let's go over there. Close this thread. And Crazy Hand 2001's account while we're at it.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
They meant that this thread is going nowhere.

It keeps going back to the same thing.
And it's all Crazy Hand 2001 Crazy Hand 2001 's fault. He sounded like he had a sensible viewpoint at first, but he's completely ruined this thread, his credibility, and the validity of his opinions by completely and utterly refusing to accept that his opinion is not undeniable, objective, immutable fact. He wants this thread to be an echo chamber where his word is law and gospel because he is either unable or unwilling to acknowledge that other people have the right to have opinions that are not carbon copies of his opinion, and have the right to argue in support of their opinions and to have their opinions be fairly judged on the merit of their arguments. Either way, he clearly has no respect for other people, so he does not deserve respect. I'm not even sure if he deserves access to the Internet.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I'm not even sure if he deserves access to the Internet.
This is something I can agree with. Based on what a handful of Google searches told me, the actual internet itself can range from $360 to $1440 a year, so internet is clearly out of his financial range if he is unable to pay the $20 a year.

Last edited:

RyuIsDio

Smash Rookie
How I see it is, well, this may not be a too popular opinion, but it's just 20 or so something dollars for a year, if I remember. I haven't really checked and it may be possible that they might fix their crappy servers, but it's not really guaranteed...well, that's what I think.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
This is something I can agree with. Based on what a handful of Google searches told me, the actual internet itself can range from $360 to $1440 a year, so internet is clearly out of his financial range if he is unable to pay the $20 a year.
The $20 is just adding to the internet expenses along with other stuff he needs like food and electricity. He could use that $20 for a game or amiibo or a book or whatever he wanted to buy. And having a free service for so long and then having to start paying for it is awkward for all of us, even if it is cheap. There's also the difficulties of adapting to change. And adding a new annual payment could throw off your financial plans.

D

Deleted member

The $20 is just adding to the internet expenses along with other stuff he needs like food and electricity. He could use that $20 for a game or amiibo or a book or whatever he wanted to buy. And having a free service for so long and then having to start paying for it is awkward for all of us, even if it is cheap. There's also the difficulties of adapting to change. And adding a new annual payment could throw off your financial plans.
Brother you really should backtrack and look thru this thread. But, you can continue to talk to the OP if you want but its honestly wasting time.

Also, as a responsible adult, people should have money to the side for things like this if 20$ is such a big deal. I think if you have money to buy video games, then you should have money to pay for something like this. And if you dont want to, dont do it?

One final thing, I think that the OP is getting a real kick out of all this attention, so if I was yall, I would just got of this thread for good.

Thats all I have to say about the matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Price changes is awkward for all of us, but we have to accept it and move on. It has happened throughout history. Inflation has something to do with that, but things change. Nintendo needs more money so they can support themselves, and the player base was outraged at the joke that is the WiiU wifi system where you pay nothing extra but get crapped on 50% of games. This was a good move for them financially.

By the way, on a grander scale of living on your own, how is $20 going to throw off financial plans in any significant way?

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
When you have to pay thousands of dollars on bills every month and your job doesn't give you enough money, that $20 can be precious.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
When you have to pay thousands of dollars on bills every month and your job doesn't give you enough money, that $20 can be precious.
So you lose the ability to buy one Amiibo a year or maybe you don't go out to eat as often. Why does it matter? People have to manage their resources while keeping up with life changes very often.

If you get into a car accident, your insurance rates get raised. You would have to manage. For all I know, gas prices could go up 10% tomorrow. I'm still pumping that stuff into my car no matter what happens. Tax reform may get passed many years down the road and you may end up having less money in your pocket at the end of the year than the previous one. Unfortunate events like these costs tons of money to cope with. $20 a year is not only a drop in the barrel, but it's one that supports Nintendo, the company that is making our next big video game. You guessed it.
It's Yoshi's Crafted World.
It's Just Dance 2019.
It's Fitness Boxing.
It's Smash Ultimate.
So it's next to nothing to consumers on a grand scale and it supports Nintendo. I'm glad that they're finally doing this. Maybe now we can get some dedicated servers so that our online conditions improve.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
But how is the online right now? People still have lagging problems right?
Time is required for everything, and in the case of a grand upgrade for a large service, that time could be pretty long. Can we at least wait until February to begin judging Nintendo too harshly about this?

Last edited:

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
So you lose the ability to buy one Amiibo a year or maybe you don't go out to eat as often. Why does it matter? People have to manage their resources while keeping up with life changes very often.

If you get into a car accident, your insurance rates get raised. You would have to manage. For all I know, gas prices could go up 10% tomorrow. I'm still pumping that stuff into my car no matter what happens. Tax reform may get passed many years down the road and you may end up having less money in your pocket at the end of the year than the previous one. Unfortunate events like these costs tons of money to cope with. $20 a year is not only a drop in the barrel, but it's one that supports Nintendo, the company that is making our next big video game. You guessed it.
It's Yoshi's Crafted World.
It's Just Dance 2019.
It's Fitness Boxing.
It's Smash Ultimate.
So it's next to nothing to consumers on a grand scale and it supports Nintendo. I'm glad that they're finally doing this. Maybe now we can get some dedicated servers so that our online conditions improve.
Why do people think the online servers will improve? Super Mario Party should be a very strong indication of what online play will turn out to be. AKA the same as always.

Maybe that's why I continue this for months. Because morons assume that the servers will improve.

Do people really think the online will improve? I bet all Nintendo will do is lock characters behind online play so that more people will want to subscribe.

And why would Nintendo need the money? They're a company. They won't go bankrupt.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Quit asking for the thread to be closed. There's no harm in discussing Online.
Except it's basically the OP spewing the same **** every comment. Pretty sure it stopped being about discussion about 3 or so pages ago once people realized the OP is ignoring all the well thought out arguments.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Except it's basically the OP spewing the same **** every comment. Pretty sure it stopped being about discussion about 3 or so pages ago once people realized the OP is ignoring all the well thought out arguments.
Then maybe people should stop thinking "the online will improve" or "there will be dedicated servers". And do not accept things as they are like this guy\

Fine with me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Super Mario Party should be a strong indication of what the online will be like for all games. Not that the online will be barebones for say, Smash Bros, but there will be no dedicated servers or the like. If there were, Nintendo would be wasting money making SMP online when no one will play that.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
Then maybe people should stop thinking "the online will improve" or "there will be dedicated servers". And do not accept things as they are like this guy\

Super Mario Party should be a strong indication of what the online will be like for all games. Not that the online will be barebones for say, Smash Bros, but there will be no dedicated servers or the like. If there were, Nintendo would be wasting money making SMP online when no one will play that.
Maybe you should stop telling ppl what to think?

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Paid online isn't something I like to support, but at the end of the day, Nintendo is a business. If enough people are willing to pay for their Switch online service, Nintendo has the right to seize that opportunity. If enough people are not satisfied with it, they can choose to boycott the service and vote with their wallets. However, most people right now seem to be satisfied with the online, so nothing has been done yet. It's just how capitalism works. Those are my two cents.

Last edited:

FNUStory

Smash Cadet
No what should be a strong indication of paid online in general is how Nintendo addresses it over the next few months. That will be good proof of how online will be like for all games. You're taking one bad example of online and using it to hate on all examples of online. Here where I live, we call that bigoted stereotyping. Besides, you have no proof Nintendo won't make dedicated servers.

Again, you have absolutely no proof of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom