• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why are mii fighters looked down upon?

Mardemonneko

Smash Rookie
Not sure if anyone else shares this with me, but I personally feel a dislike for Mii fighters due to the fact that their movesets are just combinations of other characters. For example, Mii Gunner can basically just have a Samus moveset, or a Swordfighter can just have a Marth moveset.

If I'm gonna use a moveset that's just a carbon copy of another character, I'll just play the character it's based on. I know that argument can be turned around be questioned in regards to echo fighters, but unlike echo fighters Miis just seem bland and gimmicky to me. Again that's just my opinion.
Because samus as a swirling nair, projectile forward air, projectile up air, explosive dash attack, a reflector, and a recovery that shoots a projectile under you, right?

Nepht

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4207 3323 3722
Never came across Mii hate. Mii's are all me and my group of friends use. You can make your own hero and punch Mario right in the plunger. Online I have come across LOTS of Mii Fighters. They seem pretty popular to me.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Because samus as a swirling nair, projectile forward air, projectile up air, explosive dash attack, a reflector, and a recovery that shoots a projectile under you, right?
The point is those are all weak versions of things other characters have. You make it sound like it is as simple as having those attacks just makes the attack good.

Spacing, frames, and a bunch of other things make those attacks good.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
None of those seem like very good reasons to look down them.

Competitively, Miis are much better and way less janky this time around with their readjusted proportions and moveset buffs. The custom moves give them some versatility and variety in their gameplay.

In regards to aesthetics, that is merely subjective. Miis are hardly the ugliest type of character you'll ever see.

The point about the costumes makes me roll my eyes. No one should realistically expect every character they wish for to be in the game. Making a costume out of someone is way to pay homage to them despite the actual character not being in the game. You'd think people would appreciate this gesture, but I suppose when some of them see a Mii wearing a costume of Black Knight, Zero, Tails, Megaman EXE, Monster Hunter, K.K. Slider, etc., they fall to the ground and curse to the heavens wishing that they'd never do that. For them, It's either the real deal or bust. No middle ground in between despite that some of the characters I mentioned earlier are highly improbable. They are so sensitive to that that I'm surprised the real world hasn't eaten them alive.
See also my earlier post about entitled tantrum-throwing.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
The point is those are all weak versions of things other characters have. You make it sound like it is as simple as having those attacks just makes the attack good.

Spacing, frames, and a bunch of other things make those attacks good.
Their point was just that those are things that Mii Gunner has that Samus doesn’t. No other character has that specific collection of moves, so, if a player likes that specific mixed and matched collection of moves, they’ll want to consider playing Gunner.

Tubby_Squirrel

Cheerful, fat rodent
Switch FC
3618-6481-0607
Because they're really janky and it's impossible to tell what move-set you're playing against.
There's an easy (local) Tournament work around in simply including the movement in the Mii's name. ex My Ashley would be named "1122" or "1122Ashley"

All miis with in a class sharing height, wight, and hit boxes removes most of the randomness. And to the poeple concerned about the time it takes to set up a mii, try doing it~ You'll be pleased to discover it takes almost no time at all.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Their point was just that those are things that Mii Gunner has that Samus doesn’t. No other character has that specific collection of moves, so, if a player likes that specific mixed and matched collection of moves, they’ll want to consider playing Gunner.
You're right. I don't see how thats viable though, characters tend to be strong because of specific moves that combo into other moves. Having several mediocre moves doesn't bode too well.

1FC0

Smash Lord
It's probably more to do with the mii's not holding nostalgia for a lot of the people playing competitively. There from the wii area, which was more of a casual system with the whole motion control gimmick. I figure someone who grew up playing the mii games would have a better opinion of miis.
I am not sure about this. Most other characters have a lot of lore associated with them or are at least part of a big franchise. Mii's have neither. Without good lore or a big franchise they will probably seem generic to people and therefore people will not care much about them. It is often the lore or the franchise which draws people to certain characters.

R.O.B. has the same problem. He has very little lore (none of which is referred to in Smash) and his franchise has only 2 games and both of them are very unpopular. I think that R.O.B. is an unpopular character because like the Mii's he has little lore and is from a very small franchise.

Last edited:

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
R.O.B. has the same problem. He has very little lore (none of which is referred to in Smash) and his franchise has only 2 games and both of them are very unpopular. I think that R.O.B. is an unpopular character because like the Mii's he has little lore and is from a very small franchise.
At least R.O.B has Brawl's Subspace Emissary to flesh out his general character and backstory within the Smash universe.

I think Miis would be seen as better if they had some more reference to their home series, considering it's actually expansive at this point. Why no Miitomo, Miitopia, or Mii Streetpass Plaza references?

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
At least R.O.B has Brawl's Subspace Emissary to flesh out his general character and backstory within the Smash universe.
Few people really like Smash OC a lot and one mode in one Smash game would probably be far to little to replace a good franchise anyway.

I think Miis would be seen as better if they had some more reference to their home series, considering it's actually expansive at this point. Why no Miitomo, Miitopia, or Mii Streetpass Plaza references?
Do people really care about that? E.g. do you know someone on these boards who is dedicated to the Mii franchise? Compare that with Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, DK, Bayonetta, FE, Metroid, and many others. Those are franchises that have people dedicated to them. Mii's do not have that kind of franchise behind them. They are generic characters in generic games. Which is probably why they have been chosen to be the customisation characters.

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
Do people really care about that? E.g. do you know someone on these boards who is dedicated to the Mii franchise? Compare that with Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, DK, Bayonetta, FE, Metroid, and many others. Those are franchises that have people dedicated to them. Mii's do not have that kind of franchise behind them. They are generic characters in generic games. Which is probably why they have been chosen to be the customisation characters.
I don't know about dedicated especially considering Mii games by nature are casual-oriented. But it would definitely make them feel like they work within some sort of canonical framework, you know. Something to grip themselves onto to make them a lot less just... there. Like, whenever some characters get more reference to their home series, no matter how small, it feels sorta like a sign that a lot of care was put into them. Like with DK's dash attack being changed to the roll in Smash 4, or how Wario's dash attack is changed to the Shoulder Bash in Ultimate. IDK.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Because you can't make a moveset just from references. Miis don't have set abilities, they either do what everyone does or what the game requires. That's why they use what other fighters use to fight.

And Mii stages have plenty of references.

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
Because you can't make a moveset just from references. Miis don't have set abilities, they either do what everyone does or what the game requires. That's why they use what other fighters use to fight.

And Mii stages have plenty of references.
I wouldn't expect an entire moveset with reference unless your name is Mr. Game and Watch. But we can't act like the Miis don't have an established franchise to work off of. I understand they are sorta blank slates to a point, but all three have unique moves that no other fighter has, so saying they need to be generic is kinda pointless.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I wouldn't expect an entire moveset with reference unless your name is Mr. Game and Watch. But we can't act like the Miis don't have an established franchise to work off of. I understand they are sorta blank slates to a point, but all three have unique moves that no other fighter has, so saying they need to be generic is kinda pointless.
I'm not saying they need to be generic, I'm just saying giving them specific references won't do them good in Smash, where you can dress them up and moveset customization is a thing.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I think it comes down more to the customization aspect of them and that being being looked down on. I mean miis were kind of the face of that in 4 and the only fighter in ultimate with changeable specials.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
There's an easy (local) Tournament work around in simply including the movement in the Mii's name. ex My Ashley would be named "1122" or "1122Ashley"

All miis with in a class sharing height, wight, and hit boxes removes most of the randomness. And to the poeple concerned about the time it takes to set up a mii, try doing it~ You'll be pleased to discover it takes almost no time at all.
Yes but no one actually does that online. They make their OC's and name them something janky and it's like "swordfighter? Did they pick the kill confirm? Or something else?" It's a lot simpler for them to name them with the numbers and I wish people actually did.

And what's worse is you're right it takes five minutes to make a mii.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Probably because they aren't real characters. And they took up development resources that could have been spent adding 3+ other, actual characters.

I'm okay with them, but I can see that being the argument against them.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yes but no one actually does that online. They make their OC's and name them something janky and it's like "swordfighter? Did they pick the kill confirm? Or something else?" It's a lot simpler for them to name them with the numbers and I wish people actually did.

But being unpredictable gives them an advantage.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I don't have problem with them. Just another character on the roster.
Miis in Smash 4 had two problems: you couldn't customize them all that much, and they weren't competitively legal because of the appalling custom parts system.

Ultimate has been a positive step forward in both directions, with the only thing left to do going forward would be "sacrificing competitive legallity to go full-on SoulCalibur with its customization options" (though this could include not using Miis). Going this route would probably eliminate the concerns expressed already in this thread in earlier posts. If they end up doing this in Smash 6, my hope is that they don't try shoving RPG elements into the Custom Characters like they did in Smash 4.

As for the general stigma... Yeah, some people get salty over the mere concept of custom characters. **** em.
All the concerns regarding Miis have pretty much been addressed with Ultimate. Their heights and weights are now fixed. The only thing with customizations now is people just need to set up their specials lineup and use one of the guest Miis. And of course, allow only the default costumes. Simple.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord

I’m pretty sure you can’t actually see opponents’ Miis’ names online, anyway, it changes their name to just “Mii Swordfighter” / ect, unless you mean wanting them to change their Switch user account name so that they have their setup as their tag.

It’d probably be better if it just showed their customs setup on the loading screen or something, hopefully they patch in something like that even though it seems pretty unlikely...

Tubby_Squirrel

Cheerful, fat rodent
Switch FC
3618-6481-0607

You can't. Online it does not show your custom name, it just shows 'Mii Swordfighter' You would have to change your Switch Nick Name.

I
It’d probably be better if it just showed their customs setup on the loading screen or something, hopefully they patch in something like that even though it seems pretty unlikely...
I could get behind this.

. And of course, allow only the default costumes. Simple.
Why is it so unanimously agreed that its so important the mii's be limited to default costumes? Nintendo isn't going to put in offensive costumes...

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Why is it so unanimously agreed that its so important the mii's be limited to default costumes? Nintendo isn't going to put in offensive costumes...
Some costumes could be seen as misleading due to the shape of the model not matching the hitboxes. For example, the Rex costume holds a sword that’s visually shorter than that of most other Swordfighter costumes, resulting in cases where the opponent looks like they’re out of range of the sword but still gets hit. It’s really just something competitive players should know about before attending a tournament, but I can see why people would be annoyed by that.

Top Bottom