• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why are mii fighters looked down upon?

Mardemonneko

Smash Rookie
They are a fighter just like anyone else. All the disrespect towards these characters is honestly saddening.
May I remind you the customization levels of these characters is crazy.
The outfits you can choose in case you get bored of one.
Sword Fighter's kill confirm that's really easy to set up.
Mii brawler's basically free damage suplex move.
Gunner's fair being a free projectile whenever you want.

There are many benefits to each character and I hate all the disrespect they get.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Only uncreative people dislike the Miis. Literally anyone can be a fighter in Smash, and people throw the opportunity away?! I do not get it.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Only uncreative people dislike the Miis. Literally anyone can be a fighter in Smash, and people throw the opportunity away?! I do not get it.
Only people who whine and throw tantrums if they don't get exactly what they want dislike the Miis.

Mr.Human

Smash Rookie
I’m not sure I think that since the mii’s as a whole are never seen as a fighter more of a thing to play with

Quick_S

Smash Rookie
They are a fighter just like anyone else. All the disrespect towards these characters is honestly saddening.

There are many benefits to each character and I hate all the disrespect they get.

Personally, I think they are a gimmick. Also, how do people transfer mii fighters to new setups? Do you have to set your mii up every time? That's just plain annoying.

Arrei

Smash Lord
I've never held any strong opinions about the Mii fighters, but I've also never liked how the Miis looked. Their type of simplistic cartoony aesthetic just didn't strike a chord with me the way other player avatars like, say, the AC villagers did.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
They're really boring as characters and not ones people tend to look to in a crossover fighter.

For me, my biggest gripe is that they've got no personality and they really don't represent any games or have interesting references.
They're just "there" to serve as bad bootlegs of other things or fanficy OCs.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Miis in Smash 4 had two problems: you couldn't customize them all that much, and they weren't competitively legal because of the appalling custom parts system.

Ultimate has been a positive step forward in both directions, with the only thing left to do going forward would be "sacrificing competitive legallity to go full-on SoulCalibur with its customization options" (though this could include not using Miis). Going this route would probably eliminate the concerns expressed already in this thread in earlier posts. If they end up doing this in Smash 6, my hope is that they don't try shoving RPG elements into the Custom Characters like they did in Smash 4.

As for the general stigma... Yeah, some people get salty over the mere concept of custom characters. **** em.

Last edited:

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace

They're ugly and have boring movesets.

shammah121

Smash Cadet
I think they're okay! Personally I feel the the Miis represent games like Tomadochi life, Miitopia, Wii Sports, whatever else they're in-----I also feel they represent the Wii franchise along with Wii Fit trainer (AKA the gimmicky aspect of Nintendo)
To me they've always stood out because they just look weird when they're with all the other characters. They don't really have like personality and they can come off as stale sometimes especially in games like Smash 4 and Smash Ultimate where they like to advertise the fact that fighters show a lot of expression. I do feel they're a decent addition to the roster because people who are causal gamers may not know who Cloud is, but they'll know what a Mii is. At the same time though they're not gonna pick a Mii fighter over Icon characters that can appeal to casual gamers in a better way (a la Kirby, Mario, Isabelle, Pikachu)

Mardemonneko

Smash Rookie
Perhaps the biggest criticism against the mii fighters are that they are not actual characters, but instead avatars? Am I correct?

D

Deleted member

Perhaps the biggest criticism against the mii fighters are that they are not actual characters, but instead avatars? Am I correct?
Well kinda, yeah.

Though on the other hand, Robin and Corrin are also in the game, who also are custom avatar characters.

That said, I think the main stigma pertains to how they were implemented in Smash 4, where you'd never be certain what their kill percentage would be due to the varying weight system and how not every character could have custom moves very easily.

That said, Miis have a standardized weight now, as well as a more streamlined customization system (ie, they're the only ones having that), so at least the competitive scene can ease up on it sometime.

Unless they prove my assumptions right and will be super stubborn about hating them because massive egos or whatever.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Keep in mind that this is all in my opinion.

Mii Fighters are fun to play, but a ***** to create. One of the problems that I have is that, in any game with a character creator, if I'm going to create a character, I want it to look good, and Miis in general look ugly as hell, even with effort put into them. I mean, I'm sorry, these things look like those bowling pin dolls with limbs.

If I'm going to play these characters, I would prefer something like Black Knight's outfit and hat. Covers everything and makes the Mii's looks irrelevant. Even if it clips into itself like hell, it still looks better than most of the Mii Fighters I've seen.

As a fighter, they're very fun to play. I'm partial to Mii Swordsman myself, and not just because of the mentioned outfit/hat. A very strong character with fun little combos. And the voice modification makes it kinda cool too. :p

But yeah, overall, the real issue that I have is the creating part of the Mii. Otherwise, I have no issues with them.

Mardemonneko

Smash Rookie
But yeah, overall, the real issue that I have is the creating part of the Mii. Otherwise, I have no issues with them.
Sad that the third party costumes are all but mostly gone, but where's the knight armor outfit? Where's the wizard outfit? Why were they cut, the knight armor was one of the best!! Also rip geno outfit.
And the akira wig, which had a bandana I really liked.

Yeah the other problem is getting outfits to match and look even decent. But that's part of the magic of these characters that literally no one else has in the cast. Bored of an outfit / color? Make a new one!

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Because they’re a thing of the past to me and I simply don’t care about them.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
Theyre lame and, cringey. Theyre like interlopers on a roster of familiar and iconic video game characters and, its just like, why are you here; wii sports was a fad and nobody cares about it anymore. Imagine playing mkwii back in the day and getting into an online match with a bunch of mii's, is this mario-kart or mii-racing? Lame.

Edit: same goes for wii fit trainer. The only way i can understand these type of "characters" is for the casuals that like to get high on the couch and, have a kickback at someones house playing smash. Not gonna lie, that does sound fun though.

Last edited:

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
I think it is because they aren't aesthetically pleasing and a lot of times they just put mii costumes in to mimic characters that could not be put into the game. There are also just mechanically improved characters on the roster that are better in this patch than the mii swordfighter/brawler/gunner. Why play a character that is not aesthetically pleasing and just in general not that good as a character when you could play other characters that:

1) Have better character models
2) The actual character and not some costume
3) Better competitively

Most people play the mii characters because it is funny to play them. Like it isn't a big deal they're in the roster but I don't care about them. The more the merrier.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I think I would have liked them better if they were just the default designs as normal fighters. Maybe a set of preset designs or something akin to Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings. I do like that you can get the default ones through WoL though.

shammah121

Smash Cadet
Low key, I love playing as Mii Gunner! She's very fun to play as and her initial design is basic....in a cute way XDD

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
All people who play as Mii fighters are chads because Mii fighters are absolute units. Although...admittedly I'm not particularly inclined to play as them because the way they play just isn't my style. By the way I'm pretty sure the Knight armor and Mage outfit are indeed gone because I'm like 90% sure I have all customization parts for Miis (except the Rex outfit I think) and I haven't seen either of those. Unless by Knight armor you mean Black Knight in which case that is indeed still available. By the way did anyone notice that Mii swordfighter's sword trails change based on the costume? That was a nice touch.

I went on more tangents in this post than Vsauce does in an entire video.

Persanic

Smash Rookie
Personally, I think they are a gimmick. Also, how do people transfer mii fighters to new setups? Do you have to set your mii up every time? That's just plain annoying.
There is a mii transfer thing on the switch

Mardemonneko

Smash Rookie
hold up, THEY CUT THE KNIGHT ARMOR AND MAGE OUTFIT!?!

Welp... it looks like Bionichute Bionichute was either lying to me about all the costumes returning to didn't actually understand my question, then. For reference,
I did not see them in datamine posts, I did not see them in lists of costumes, I did not see them anywhere :(

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
You just have to use your imagination. I'd say Skull Kid is the best character to play as using Miis because it completely covers the face, but for folks like Waluigi and Isaac, it requires a suspension of disbelief. No, it's not going to look spot-on like that snubbed Assist Trophy, but the fact that it's an option continues to delight me.

Don't even get me started on portraying non-human fighters like Funky Kong and Wart...now that's harder to go along with.

Christian_CAO

Smash Apprentice
people look down on the mii fighters because of their inclusion in smash 4
They divided the ruleset a bit and were the flagship perpetrators of custom moves in smash being considered for tournament play
their entire being revolved around custom moves but since everyone else had custom moves as well it created the question, of mii's are in than custom moves should be allowed too.

If custom moves were actually something of merit, like with Palutena, megaman and the Mii's we wouldn't have had too much of an issue deciding on custom moves. Instead the majority of the cast had janky garbage brawl psa attribute modification trash instead of real actual moves. Couple that with DLC characters not even having custom moves at all and we have ourselves an impossible situation where no one can be happy but most can agree that custom moves are stupid for the majority of characters.

The Mii's having differen't stat parameters based on their height and "weight" made for a puzzle of a matchup character that wouldn't be normally understandable for people who prefer consistency in their meta-game.

Mii's were banned because they were janky, but now in Ultimate they are the only characters with custom moves which makes things far less messy. Also they have set heights and weights regardless of the mii used to make the fighter.

Now no one should have an actual "issue" with the mii's past their physical appearance which can be customized anyway so who cares? Some costumes look hella cool. The breath of the wild yiga clan one in particular is amazing. If they keep on supporting the game with dlc, mii costume customization may be the best thing to happen ever if more costumes turn out like the yiga one. If they put a full mask and not the dumb hat style headgear it could be too cool.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I think it is because they aren't aesthetically pleasing and a lot of times they just put mii costumes in to mimic characters that could not be put into the game. There are also just mechanically improved characters on the roster that are better in this patch than the mii swordfighter/brawler/gunner. Why play a character that is not aesthetically pleasing and just in general not that good as a character when you could play other characters that:

1) Have better character models
2) The actual character and not some costume
3) Better competitively

Most people play the mii characters because it is funny to play them. Like it isn't a big deal they're in the roster but I don't care about them. The more the merrier.
None of those seem like very good reasons to look down them.

Competitively, Miis are much better and way less janky this time around with their readjusted proportions and moveset buffs. The custom moves give them some versatility and variety in their gameplay.

In regards to aesthetics, that is merely subjective. Miis are hardly the ugliest type of character you'll ever see.

The point about the costumes makes me roll my eyes. No one should realistically expect every character they wish for to be in the game. Making a costume out of someone is way to pay homage to them despite the actual character not being in the game. You'd think people would appreciate this gesture, but I suppose when some of them see a Mii wearing a costume of Black Knight, Zero, Tails, Megaman EXE, Monster Hunter, K.K. Slider, etc., they fall to the ground and curse to the heavens wishing that they'd never do that. For them, It's either the real deal or bust. No middle ground in between despite that some of the characters I mentioned earlier are highly improbable. They are so sensitive to that that I'm surprised the real world hasn't eaten them alive.

Bigg_Official

Smash Rookie
NNID
littlesnowball
Switch FC
SW-3288-0122-4917
Not sure if anyone else shares this with me, but I personally feel a dislike for Mii fighters due to the fact that their movesets are just combinations of other characters. For example, Mii Gunner can basically just have a Samus moveset, or a Swordfighter can just have a Marth moveset.

If I'm gonna use a moveset that's just a carbon copy of another character, I'll just play the character it's based on. I know that argument can be turned around be questioned in regards to echo fighters, but unlike echo fighters Miis just seem bland and gimmicky to me. Again that's just my opinion.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
None of those seem like very good reasons to look down them.

Competitively, Miis are much better and way less janky this time around with their readjusted proportions and moveset buffs. The custom moves give them some versatility and variety in their gameplay.

In regards to aesthetics, that is merely subjective. Miis are hardly the ugliest type of character you'll ever see.

The point about the costumes makes me roll my eyes. No one should realistically expect every character they wish for to be in the game. Making a costume out of someone is way to pay homage to them despite the actual character not being in the game. You'd think people would appreciate this gesture, but I suppose when some of them see a Mii wearing a costume of Black Knight, Zero, Tails, Megaman EXE, Monster Hunter, K.K. Slider, etc., they fall to the ground and curse to the heavens wishing that they'd never do that. For them, It's either the real deal or bust. No middle ground in between despite that some of the characters I mentioned earlier are highly improbable. They are so sensitive to that that I'm surprised the real world hasn't eaten them alive.
As much as you want to say aesthetics is subjective it is objectively the reason why people choose not to play mii characters. It is not merely subjective and there is an obvious reason why. Yes, some people may find Mii characters more appealing but I guarantee that is the minority and if you'd like we could make a poll regarding the miis in the future.

Regardless, being able to customize your moveset does not make them versatile. If you have a bunch of crappy specials and tilts among the moves you can choose from it makes no difference. The only mii right now that even has a decent set is the swordsman because of gale special + up b. Yeah you're right, it isn't realistic to expect all characters to be in the game but the expectation is that most people are looking for a character, not a costume of that character in the game. In addition to all that like I said the besides the swordsman most miis aren't really that good so it is less reason for people to play miis unless they're playing with their friends or something.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
As much as you want to say aesthetics is subjective it is objectively the reason why people choose not to play mii characters. It is not merely subjective and there is an obvious reason why. Yes, some people may find Mii characters more appealing but I guarantee that is the minority and if you'd like we could make a poll regarding the miis in the future.
And you would still be wrong. More than aesthetics, the main reason why Miis didn't see much use was because of their restrictions in online play and the fact that there wasn't a very practical way to transfer from one system to another. It was a bit pointless to customize your own character in moveset and appearance when you were imposed limitations on how you would use them.
Granted, this is a crossover, so the actual characters hold more appeal by default. But fighter customization features have their place in a game like this as they provide a player with more options and way to express personality.

Regardless, being able to customize your moveset does not make them versatile. If you have a bunch of crappy specials and tilts among the moves you can choose from it makes no difference. The only mii right now that even has a decent set is the swordsman because of gale special + up b. Yeah you're right, it isn't realistic to expect all characters to be in the game but the expectation is that most people are looking for a character, not a costume of that character in the game. In addition to all that like I said the besides the swordsman most miis aren't really that good so it is less reason for people to play miis unless they're playing with their friends or something.

Being able to customize your move set DOES make your character more versatile. Swordfighter can get a counter, a reflector or a thrusting move; Gunner gets a reflector, an absorption field or a zoning tool. That fits the bill for having versatility. I don't think you were using the right definition in the first place.
All three fighters are actually decent and I can't think of a crappy special move except for perhaps Exploding Side Kick and Grenade Burst, the latter which has uses in free for all battles.

I know that people prefer the character rather than the costume, but are you seriously going tell me that when they see a Knuckles or Protoman Mii outfit, they are like "Welp, there goes that character's (non existent) chances". They wouldn't be added anyways, so I stand by my point.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
If we are talking about SSBU I am pretty sure they are online capable seeing as how I'm able to use them (besides the transfer issue). I would not be wrong as it is a reason people do not play the miis and like I said objectively it is a reason.

Also saying they are versatile implies that they are capable... Does it not in the context that you were using the word? There are a lot of characters in the roster that are "versatile" superficially but when you get down to the nitty gritty they are lacking in the areas they cover and you're much better off sticking with their strong points. That and you can't rematch people with a different mii character so they pretty much lost the ability to adapt online.

And honestly, there is a decent amount of people who would get mad if the character they wanted was a mii costume and Nintendo told them "Sorry we couldn't add ________ to the roster but here is this mii costume you can use to play as __________!". Not everyone would be upset but some people do look at miis and think they just get in the way.

I never said mii fighters don't belong in SSBU, I'm just explaining why they aren't popular and why people don't like them.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
If we are talking about SSBU I am pretty sure they are online capable seeing as how I'm able to use them (besides the transfer issue). I would not be wrong as it is a reason people do not play the miis and like I said objectively it is a reason.

Also saying they are versatile implies that they are capable does it not in the context that you were using the word? There are a lot of characters in the roster that are "versatile" superficially but when you get down to the nitty gritty they are lacking in the areas they cover and you're much better off sticking with their strong points. That and you can't rematch people with a different mii character so they pretty much lost the ability to adapt online.

I never said mii fighters don't belong in SSBU, I'm just explaining why they aren't popular and why people don't like them.
To clarify, I was referring to Smash 4 where you were imposed with limitations when using Miis. I'm aware you can use them in Ultimate's online, thankfully.

And you lost me at the second paragraph.

RenegadeKnight

Smash Rookie
It's probably more to do with the mii's not holding nostalgia for a lot of the people playing competitively. There from the wii area, which was more of a casual system with the whole motion control gimmick. I figure someone who grew up playing the mii games would have a better opinion of miis.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It's probably more to do with the mii's not holding nostalgia for a lot of the people playing competitively. There from the wii area, which was more of a casual system with the whole motion control gimmick. I figure someone who grew up playing the mii games would have a better opinion of miis.
Nah, I played a ton of Wii Sports with my family. It's one of the few times that I could get my close-minded parents to get out of their comfort zone and enjoy themselves in an active way with the rest of me and my siblings so Miis hold a close place to my heart.

Issue is, these Miis don't even reference those games and are just "generic fighter insert" which I'm honestly not a fan of.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
To clarify, I was referring to Smash 4 where you were imposed with limitations when using Miis. I'm aware you can use them in Ultimate's online, thankfully.

And you lost me at the second paragraph.
I'm saying there is a lot more to versatility than "Oh this character can adapt in different ways". Like I said, versatility implies a mii can adapt but can a mii really adapt if all its moves are nerf'd versions of moves other characters already have? Why not just pick Samus instead of Mii gunner. Why change a mii character when you can pick another character who excels in a different area.

Last edited:
Top Bottom