• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why am i so bad

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
"bad" and "good" are relative, start comparing yourself to a potato and a pair of latex gloves instead of top-level professionals and you should be good

Crosstails20

Smash Journeyman
Umm, I don't think that was what he was talking about, but in general, if you play a bunch of for glory, just watch your replays and see what you do wrong and try to fix it.

Jamisinon

Smash Apprentice
Step 1: Attitude. Losing doesn't make you inherently bad. Try not to view matches in absolutes. While winning should be a goal, improving is a better goal. Always strive to improve. Improve your strengths, change your weaknesses. Watch gameplay of yourself to see what worked and what didn't. Watch tutorials or streams of high level gameplay to see what high level players are doing and try to implement things you see into your gameplay. It's never too late to learn/unlearn habits.
There are plenty of peeps that will be willing to play friendlies (especially if you are capable of making it to any tournaments). Playing friendlies is a great way to improve. People are generally friendly in person in the community. You can play a set and ask people what they think you should work on/what are your weaknesses. The community always strives to help each other improve.
Like others before me in the thread have stated the more specific you can be with your questions the better we can help answer them. Are you just losing? Struggling to recover? Difficulty edge guarding? Neutral game? Reactions? etc.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
The first step is to take a look at guides and videos online to get a better idea of how your character works. Your profile says you main Mario, so why not check out Smashboard's Mario guide section, and/or some videos online? That'll give you an idea of how he works, what his combos are, and the technicalities that people have learned.

Of course, you don't want to be a complete carbon copy of what you find in those guides. Head into Training Mode, and try out the combos and tricks you've learned. Once you've got the hang of them, try and see if you can create anything unique yourself! It's fine if you can't, but having combos and tricks that you do that most other players of that character don't will help surprise opponents who are familiar with that character's usual combos and strategies.

Also, as has been suggested, take a look at your replays and see where you're slipping up. Are there any common things you do that end up with your opponent hitting you? Do you have the hang of all of the mechanics? Look at where you're making mistakes, and then make an effort not to do that in your next game. Slowly, you'll start to fix those mistakes!

Lastly, practice is important! Keep playing matches, and take a look at what you do wrong in your losses! You can do it! :)

Crystanium

Smash Hero
The fortunate thing about being "bad" is that it's temporary. The more you take time to learn, the better you become. All hope isn't lost. I don't know the details of what's going on, or why you consider yourself to be a "bad" player. What you could try is developing ways to observe how your opponent plays while you're in a match. This is different from simply watching a video of someone, or a replay of yourself. Here's some tips.

1. Watch what your opponent is doing. Does he/she jump a lot? If so, watch the number of jumps your opponent performs. Does he/she get up from the ledge a certain way? How does your opponent react when you get close?

2. Watch replays of what your opponent does and try to find patterns of how a particular character is played. For example, having played against a number of Mario mains, I am aware that if Mario throws me down and follows up with up tilt, I'll take the first hit, since that cannot be avoided. However, I can jump out before the second up tilt to avoid ending up in a combo. My opponent is now forced to try using down throw to up tilt to up special. I just thwarted Mario's combo game.

2.a. Watch replays of what you do and avoid performing attacks that leave you vulnerable and use different attacks or defensive options in certain situations. Sometimes if my opponent uses an attack like up special and is returning, but is trying to be evasive to throw me off, I'll settle for a down smash, rather than a side smash, since the former is more likely to connect. Or, I won't commit where I don't see a possibility of doing so. A quick, single jab will do, rather than using an attack that can leave me open if my attack is shielded.

3. Go to training mode and find ways to perform different combos. Some characters have a harder time avoiding Mario's down throw to up tilt special. These tend to be characters who fall faster. Or, you could try down throw to up air, up air, so on and so forth.

4. Look up Zenyou on YouTube. He's a professional player who has Mario's combo game down to a T. Try to implement his combo game because when Mario's opponent is caught in a combo, it can be very difficult to escape. All one can hope for is that there's a poor input. Otherwise, Mario's opponent is at the mercy of Mario, and it's not a fun place to be in.

Last edited:

Squii The Fish

Smash Journeyman
I play zelda.

I have played at least 5 days a week, for most weekends since the 3DS online.
These kinda crappy feelings happen, i just played against a shiek who destroyed me 20 games in a row, crapped on me in the name tags all that shizz.
im attending my first major next week and day 1 I have always doubted my skills.

In the words of my mom (paraphrased of course) , "if this is a tirefire your passionate about don't be afraid to throw your body in"

Because sometimes, just sometimes, tire fires burn very very bright.

Spirit Toons

Banned via Warnings
I feel you, I used to be decent at Smash, but going back I suck now. I think some nerfs hurt my favorites.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Step 1: Attitude. Losing doesn't make you inherently bad. Try not to view matches in absolutes. While winning should be a goal, improving is a better goal. Always strive to improve. Improve your strengths, change your weaknesses. Watch gameplay of yourself to see what worked and what didn't. Watch tutorials or streams of high level gameplay to see what high level players are doing and try to implement things you see into your gameplay. It's never too late to learn/unlearn habits.
There are plenty of peeps that will be willing to play friendlies (especially if you are capable of making it to any tournaments). Playing friendlies is a great way to improve. People are generally friendly in person in the community. You can play a set and ask people what they think you should work on/what are your weaknesses. The community always strives to help each other improve.
Like others before me in the thread have stated the more specific you can be with your questions the better we can help answer them. Are you just losing? Struggling to recover? Difficulty edge guarding? Neutral game? Reactions? etc.
Oh my GOD I cannot agree with this more. If you are down on yourself during the match, you will psyche yourself out every single time. Stay positive.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Oh my GOD I cannot agree with this more. If you are down on yourself during the match, you will psyche yourself out every single time. Stay positive.
Worst thing about that, is when you play against someone you know, that always beat you. You give him so much space&free room, it's terrible.

Which is why I always love playing against people I teached how to play before. I am by all means, only mediocre. But the respect they give me during a game is insane. People who won locals over me, lose in fun casual matches versus me.

And what will help you the most:
Keep playing. Keep focussing.
There are a billion things you can learn, but just playing against randoms or friends, trying to learn that one thing -during- actual matches, is the best way to master it. Thats how I atleast learned how to approach with Luigi back when I knew barely anything about Neutral.

A victory will become pulling that one thing off. Not winning entirely.

Last edited:

rav10li

Smash Rookie
NNID
rav10li
3DS FC
0190-2809-7564
Just remember it's a game. Losing is no biggie. Also, watch replays of yourself - when you're not in the zone playing it will be much easier to spot where your mistakes are.

Top Bottom