• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Whose voice do you prefer? Male or female's?

Dawn111

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2079-9069-5382
I think people are going to disagree with me, but am I the only one who prefers Female Robin's voice? Mainly because I love Lauren Landa, and I honestly think that Male Robin's voice is kinda bad and annoying. I'm not against David Vincent though, because he's a good voice actor as well, but Lauren Landa made Robin more appealing and adorable in my humble opinion. Then again, she's one of my favorite voice actresses, because she did a amazing job on voicing Squigly and Kyoko, and I generally prefer female roles more anyway. You can disagree with me if you want, but please do not flame me. Not everyone is going to love or hate the voices.

Last edited:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
I play Female Robin basically for this reason. I mean, I think pink is also the best costume, but I could just as easily settle for the blue or green ones. -or I could if I didn't dislike M-Robin's voice.

I agree though, nothing against the VA, but I just vastly prefer F-Robin. (Also, M-Robin never says "Time to tip the scales!" specifically so F-Robin wins by default. Fite me.)

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
3 reasons I prefer M-Robin:

1) Calmer voice, which is a very similar one to the 3rd voice option in Awakening for M-Robin.

2) His scream when sent flying isn't this annoying high-pitched one like F-Robin's. It's similar to Bayo's imo.

3) I like his attitude. He's got this "make one mistake and checkmate, then I'll look at you and say 'figure it out' " feel to him where F-Robin is like "make one mistake and checkmate, then I'll look at you and say 'you just lost to a girl' " feel to her. Both are fine though, and F-Robin makes for some hilarious salty moments amongst friends, but M-Robin has a more mature feel to him.

I originally used F-Robin too but I eventually gravitated to M-Robin the longer I played and practiced Robin.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
3) I like his attitude. He's got this "make one mistake and checkmate, then I'll look at you and say 'figure it out' " feel to him where F-Robin is like "make one mistake and checkmate, then I'll look at you and say 'you just lost to a girl' " feel to her. Both are fine though, and F-Robin makes for some hilarious salty moments amongst friends, but M-Robin has a more mature feel to him.
You know, it's funny you say that because I think this has a lot to do with why I dislike M-Robin's voice. I think he's a lot cockier and I'm just not keen on it, and I honestly think F-Robin is the more mature of the two because of that. Though, I think it's down to how I interpret her voice clips.

I think the key differences are their victory quotes and down taunt clips. M-Robin has a lot more "aggressive" voice clips than her IMO. The only F-Robin quote I think is personally worse is "Ha! Checkmate!" compared to M-Robin's "The key to victory lies within." from the same victory pose, and even then I take that more as F-Robin having a moment of "I've got it!" than her rubbing it in.

Again, it's totally down to personal interpretation though, so I don't blame you for taking her voice clips in a different way. I just didn't think someone would have such a polarising opinion to mine so quick and I find that interesting. :p

Dawn111

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2079-9069-5382
I play Female Robin basically for this reason. I mean, I think pink is also the best costume, but I could just as easily settle for the blue or green ones. -or I could if I didn't dislike M-Robin's voice.

I agree though, nothing against the VA, but I just vastly prefer F-Robin. (Also, M-Robin never says "Time to tip the scales!" specifically so F-Robin wins by default. Fite me.)
I agree with this completely. Female Robin sounds alot more mature and convincing than her male counterpart. People have said that her voice is annoying, but I personally find that Male Robin sounds alot worse. That, and I'm a big fan of Lauren Landa's voice.

Last edited:

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
You know, it's funny you say that because I think this has a lot to do with why I dislike M-Robin's voice. I think he's a lot cockier and I'm just not keen on it, and I honestly think F-Robin is the more mature of the two because of that. Though, I think it's down to how I interpret her voice clips.

I think the key differences are their victory quotes and down taunt clips. M-Robin has a lot more "aggressive" voice clips than her IMO. The only F-Robin quote I think is personally worse is "Ha! Checkmate!" compared to M-Robin's "The key to victory lies within." from the same victory pose, and even then I take that more as F-Robin having a moment of "I've got it!" than her rubbing it in.

Again, it's totally down to personal interpretation though, so I don't blame you for taking her voice clips in a different way. I just didn't think someone would have such a polarising opinion to mine so quick and I find that interesting. :p
I find that checkmating someone and then taunting saying that you just checkmated them to be redundant. Like, yeah, that's cool and all, but you were outplayed and the checkmate is simply the finisher. If it's more aggressive then so be it, I like it that way. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen lol.

The only two things I truly dislike about M-Robin is that 1) his hair looks awful on the win screen and 2) he never says "Time to tip the scales!" like someone else mentioned. That will always be against him imo.

And yeah F-Robin is cool too, I used to only use Red Robin but I switched to Blue Robin after a while. I do switch color (and therefore gender) to match my team color though, so I don't mind F-Robin at all.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
The male one for me. I find the female's voice really irritating.

Last edited:

Cherpumple

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cherpumple
I prefer the Male voice for pretty much the same reasons Dream Cancel Dream Cancel said above. I like how his voice seems more collected, but still confident. Only thing that doesn't sit well with me for Male is how the "Time to tip the scales" line is altered.

I find the high pitched screams when Female is being launched or KO'd extremely annoying. Though I do somewhat like her sassy attitude during her victory lines, I think it fits her personality really well.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
You know, I thought a lot of people would prefer F-Robin's voice like me (I see more rep for her from more serious Robin players/mains all in all.), but it's just not seeming the case at all... Interesting!

I wonder if anyone here has played the game with both Japanese and English VAs and if the other language's lines and delivery makes a difference on their opinion (I'm sure it would. Maybe I'd prefer M-Robin's JP voice!?)? Otherwise I'll just have to agree to disagree with the M-Robin fans out there. :rolleyes: lol

Dawn111

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2079-9069-5382
You know, I thought a lot of people would prefer F-Robin's voice like me (I see more rep for her from more serious Robin players/mains all in all.), but it's just not seeming the case at all... Interesting!

I wonder if anyone here has played the game with both Japanese and English VAs and if the other language's lines and delivery makes a difference on their opinion (I'm sure it would. Maybe I'd prefer M-Robin's JP voice!?)? Otherwise I'll just have to agree to disagree with the M-Robin fans out there. :rolleyes: lol
I'm with you there. Sure that F-Robin's voice is high-pitched, but I personally find it more appealing and lively than M-Robin's.
As for the Japanese voices however, I would prefer M-Robin more, because to be honest, I'm not a fan of Miyuki Sawashiro.

Last edited:

Jakkun

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5069-4413-4635
Honestly, I thought the same, since I'm used to seeing Male Robin players get outright dissed in general. Though this forum is generally above such pettiness, which is quite refreshing.

That said, I prefer the Male's because he seems like a calm & collected kinda guy who is just easy to get along with. Like you could go out to tea with him and hold a nice long chat. Female Robin gives me a mildly haughty vibe (though this may be due to me watching SFV videos and her VA voices Karin in that game), but I dont have anything against her voice in general.

Amygdala

Smash Rookie
Honestly? I like them both.
Female Robin comes off to me as more energetic and optimistic, radiating confidence. Let's not forget the sass, because we've got sass on our sass. I like her lines, and she says It's Time To Tip The Scales! She seems like the kind of person to throw figs at gynophobes, and use subliminal messages on the daughters of goddesses.

Male Robin in my personal opinion comes off as a bit more mature, calm, and collected. He's got confidence and cockiness like his female counterpart, but is a bit less haughty and energetic about it. Also, he doesn't say It's Time To Tip The Scales, which is saddening. I also truly hate his "It seems our fates are joined." Line. It's just weird the way his tone shifts.

Ultimately, I prefer Male Robin's characterization over his female counterpart's, but will admit that female Robin's VA did pull of a slightly better iob in the convincing department for all lines. The male voice was a hit and miss, with some lines "It seems our fates are joined./Lucina, I hope I didn't hurt you." kind of whiffing, but others "It's going to be alright./ The key to victory lies within." being done very well.

But hey -- at the end of the day we all have opinions.

Last edited:

Emmington

Smash Cadet
I use female Robin over male Robin, but only because male Robin's voice is kinda annoying IMO. Female Robin's voice seems to have more emotion/slightly better acting.

Last edited:

Dawn111

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2079-9069-5382
I use female Robin over male Robin, but only because male Robin's voice is kinda annoying IMO. Female Robin's voice seems to have more emotion/slightly better acting.
I agree with you as well. You, Amygdala, Conn1496, and I are some of the few people who prefer Female Robin over Male.

Nyrélhos

Smash Rookie
I like female Robin's voice, but I definitely prefer male Robin's voice by far.

Both are in accordance with the personality of the character (female is more energic/arrogant ; male is more calm/stoic) and for both of them, I think that was the best way to interpret them.

Now personally, I reeeeaaally prefer male Robin's voice for two reasons :
1 : I like his personality. He is always very calm, open-minded, honest and just cool. For me, it fits better to a good tactician than female Robin.
Like someone said before, I feel like I could spend plenty of hours discuss with him on several subjects and he wouldn't be annoyed.
2 : I just love his voice and, for me, it's the best voice I've ever heard. Even when I began Fire Emblem Awakening, I noticed that voice immediately.

Amygdala

Smash Rookie
Hn.

If it's not because the majority prefer Female Robin's voice, then why are M!Robins a dying race? Is this another case of Waifu Wars...?

Dawn111

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2079-9069-5382
Hn.

If it's not because the majority prefer Female Robin's voice, then why are M!Robins a dying race? Is this another case of Waifu Wars...?
M!Robin's a dying race, only because that his looks and beauty are much more boring than F!Robin's. F!Robin is cuter to many people.

Last edited:

Wnyke

Smash Cadet
I prefer female cause I still dream about the day MORGAN skin will be available for smash along with her voice... I really liked her as a character... Female Morgan skin for future DLC please...

anyway I only like male robin neutral skin and female robin red skin so I don't put much attention to the voices...

Top Bottom