• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's your pick?

KayaMarley

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone, this is a thread just for funsies. go ahead and list 5 characters you want in Smash Ultimate as DLC. The only rules are that they must be videogame characters first (no goku, batman, etc).

I'm making this thread because i'm curious to see what people really want (please no meme characters i.e. no waluigi unless you actually want him in.) Im looking to see what everyone wants, not what would be funny, or just cuz. thanks!

KayaMarley

Smash Cadet
To start things off, my picks are...

1) Neku Sakuraba from The World Ends With You
2) Serge from Chrono Cross
3) Sylux from Metroid Prime
4) Edelgard from Fire Emblem Three Houses
5) Jak and Daxter from Jak & Daxter

There are others i want but they are already represented in some way, either as spirits or assists, and while i'd love for them to be playable, im ok with that. just glad they are getting represented at all honestly. (but RIP Goemon only being Mii Fighter Costume :sadeyes:)

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
1.) PaRappa Rappa from PaRappa the Rapper
2.) Byleth Eisner from Fire Emblem Three Houses
3.) Edelgard von Hresvelg from Fire Emblem Three Houses
4.) Phoenix Wright from Ace Attorney
5.) YoRHa No.2 Type B from NieR: Automata

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I change my mind all the time, but...

1) Dixie Kong
2) Ganon
3) Donkey Kong Jr.
4) Spring Man
5) Paper Mario

KayaMarley

Smash Cadet
Only 5? Damn that sucks...

Dixie Kong
Crash Bandicoot
Rayman
Ratchet (separate)
Clank (separate)
lol post more if you want. i was just trying to keep posts from being to long (especially if you were going to explain why you'd feel they'd fit, tool kits, etc.)

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Crash
Doom Slayer
Spyro
Dante
Heihachi

Dan

Smash Lord
Geno, Isaac, Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee and the fifth is tough for me since they already put so many of my most-wanted in (K. Rool, Ridley, Banjo, etc)... let's go Master Chief since he's probably the biggest gaming icon not in there. Honorable mention to Crash as well, but I feel like four more characters is a safe amount to expect.

Monochrome Kirby

Smash Rookie
Bandana Waddle Dee
Tails
Claude ( I know A lot of people wants Edelgard or Byleth to be 3H rep but I prefer choose Claude as 3H rep)
2B
Jin Kazama

I know BWD and Tails are Spirits already but I would love to see them as Playable.

Last edited:

KayaMarley

Smash Cadet
Geno, Isaac, Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee and the fifth is tough for me since they already put so many of my most-wanted in (K. Rool, Ridley, Banjo, etc)... let's go Master Chief since he's probably the biggest gaming icon not in there. Honorable mention to Crash as well, but I feel like four more characters is a safe amount to expect.
it's so funny to me (not your post but just in general). the idea of master chief in smash is a big nope for me, as i feel he doesn't fit (kinda feel the same about snake tbh, but hey hes in and hes pretty cool.), that being said he definitely is huge and have loved the halo series for years. i grew up playing it with my brother, since it was the only 2 player story driven shooter at the time. so funny how i love him and yet dont want him in. guess im pretty weird haha!

Dan

Smash Lord
it's so funny to me (not your post but just in general). the idea of master chief in smash is a big nope for me, as i feel he doesn't fit (kinda feel the same about snake tbh, but hey hes in and hes pretty cool.), that being said he definitely is huge and have loved the halo series for years. i grew up playing it with my brother, since it was the only 2 player story driven shooter at the time. so funny how i love him and yet dont want him in. guess im pretty weird haha!
That's not weird: Kingdom Hearts 1 is one of my all-time favorite games and I couldn't care less if Sora is in Smash... I'd much rather have Geno.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
1. Isaac
2. Phoenix Wright
3. Monokuma
4. Waluigi
5. Geno

After my top three I mainly just want whatever the community wants. Sure I have other "wants" but they're not strong enough to outweigh the satisfaction I'd get from seeing other big community favourites (like Dixie or Bandana Dee) get in.

I don't think Waluigi is as much of a meme character these days, I think there's genuine desire to see him playable. At least for me there was a time I didn't like him that much, but he's grown on me....so what if he's a "meme"?

Last edited:

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Update: Added in 5 more characters.
1. Bandana Dee (Kirby)
2. Poochy (Yoshi)
3. Shake King (Wario)
4. Heavy (Team Fortress)
5. Octane (Rocket League)
6. Zacian/Zamazenta (Pokemon)
7. Titan Dweevil (Pikmin)
8. Centipede (Atari)
9. Earthworm Jim (Earthworm Jim)
10. Amateursu (Okami)

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
My choices (Note: I'm excluding Echo-Fighters)

1. Lugia
2. Fawful
3. Knuckles
4. Shantae or Ray-Man
5. Midna

Last edited:

KayaMarley

Smash Cadet
1. Isaac
2. Phoenix Wright
3. Monokuma
4. Waluigi
5. Geno

After my top three I mainly just want whatever the community wants. Sure I have other "wants" but they're not strong enough to outweigh the satisfaction I'd get from seeing other big community favourites (like Dixie or Bandana Dee) get in.

I don't think Waluigi is as much of a meme character these days, I think there's genuine desire to see him playable. At least for me there was a time I didn't like him that much, but he's grown on me....so what if he's a "meme"?
The problem is waluigi only has as big of a fanbase as he does now because of the whole "him not being in smash" meme. if it was genuine from the start that would be one thing, and i feel as though for those that really do want him in, it's sort of been ruined by the meme at this point, which is unfortunate. dont get me wrong, the guys cool, i just dont feel like he should get in only to humor some joke, and it seems sakurai feels the same. and to the whole "so what if he's a meme" thing, as you've stated there are plenty of characters that other people want, many of which are large icons, or have a major following and deserve to be in smash, and a meme character would be very disrespectful. it'd be like saying "welp there's nothing left, so screw it" when that isn't the case by a long shot. even some characters who aren't particularly well known, but rather are very interesting and from cool games (persona used to be in this boat before 5 came out) should have a chance over a joke character. that's just my opinion though, so take that as you will.

D

Deleted member

1. Pauline
2. Adeleine
3. Mach Rider
4. Viewtiful Joe
5. Layton

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
The problem is waluigi only has as big of a fanbase as he does now because of the whole "him not being in smash" meme. if it was genuine from the start that would be one thing, and i feel as though for those that really do want him in, it's sort of been ruined by the meme at this point, which is unfortunate. dont get me wrong, the guys cool, i just dont feel like he should get in only to humor some joke, and it seems sakurai feels the same. and to the whole "so what if he's a meme" thing, as you've stated there are plenty of characters that other people want, many of which are large icons, or have a major following and deserve to be in smash, and a meme character would be very disrespectful. it'd be like saying "welp there's nothing left, so screw it" when that isn't the case by a long shot. even some characters who aren't particularly well known, but rather are very interesting and from cool games (persona used to be in this boat before 5 came out) should have a chance over a joke character. that's just my opinion though, so take that as you will.
I think ultimately how he attained his large fanbase is largely unimportant. The fact is that he has a large fanbase.

Also I think calling an inclusion "disrespectful" is a bit overly dramatic. Waluigi would not be "disrespectful".

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
The problem is waluigi only has as big of a fanbase as he does now because of the whole "him not being in smash" meme. if it was genuine from the start that would be one thing, and i feel as though for those that really do want him in, it's sort of been ruined by the meme at this point, which is unfortunate.
The thing about Waluigi is that he's a high-profile Mario character that's playable in dozens of games, so pretty much everyone expected him to make playable in Smash for 3DS/Wii U and again in Ultimate, and we're all kind of bewildered that he keeps being relegated to assist trophy status and trolled by Sakurai in official media.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The problem is waluigi only has as big of a fanbase as he does now because of the whole "him not being in smash" meme.
It's easier to focus on this purple guy in particular when Smash fans don't have to worry about Mewtwo being cut or Ridley being a boss.

KayaMarley

Smash Cadet
I think ultimately how he attained his large fanbase is largely unimportant. The fact is that he has a large fanbase.

Also I think calling an inclusion "disrespectful" is a bit overly dramatic. Waluigi would not be "disrespectful".
Of course an inclusion isn't disrespectful. it's the fact that he's already included, and to make him full fledged and write that off as an "inclusion" when there's others that could have been, then yes, i find that to be a little disrespectful to fans of other series', and characters with much bigger followings. I also believe it matters where the fan base comes from, but i also understand why someone might not. personally, if his fandom revolves around a joke, then it should be taken as a joke. sorry if that sounds a little harsh :(

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Of course an inclusion isn't disrespectful. it's the fact that he's already included, and to make him full fledged and write that off as an "inclusion" when there's others that could have been, then yes, i find that to be a little disrespectful to fans of other series', and characters with much bigger followings. I also believe it matters where the fan base comes from, but i also understand why someone might not. personally, if his fandom revolves around a joke, then it should be taken as a joke. sorry if that sounds a little harsh :(
First of all, fandom size doesn't matter when we got Banjo before Steve and Terry before Scorpion (frankly it shouldn't even be a problem for Waluigi)
Second, is it disrespectful for ZSS in Smash 4 to have a congratulations screen that references Bayonetta only to have her join the battle as DLC?

KayaMarley

Smash Cadet
First of all, fandom size doesn't matter when we got Banjo before Steve and Terry before Scorpion (frankly it shouldn't even be a problem for Waluigi)
Second, is it disrespectful for ZSS in Smash 4 to have a congratulations screen that references Bayonetta only to have her join the battle as DLC?
Are you being serious? Banjo has had a large fanbase for years, (much larger for much longer than steve's lol) and at no point did i say fanbase was the only deciding factor, its just largely taken into account. Besides, Waluigi has literally nothing to offer. Sakurai has already stated this much. He's never even had his own games. He has no substance as a video game character, and just because he's from the mario series, that doesn't change that. Seriously, if he was removed from all future party games, it wouldn't even slightly matter. he literally only exists so that wario could have a side character/brother as well as a counter to mario having luigi, and even luigi gets his own titles and appearances in main titles that aren't his own from time to time. can't remember the last time (or ever) that waluigi got that treatment.

Also putting Steve from minecraft above banjo doesn't even make sense, when for many people Banjo has always been considered nintendo rather than microsoft based, so naturally that's going to be the pick when it comes to a rep from that company. That much should be obvious. Terry also makes more sense than scorpion due to him being from one of the biggest fighting game characters of the retro age (Terry existed way before Scorpion did). adding him in smash was a no-brainer when we have characters like Ryu and Ken (we could honestly use one more retro fighting game character to bring it up to 4), not to mention mortal kombat totally does not fit smash at all. like i know certain characters in smash are rated M (snake, Simon and Richter Belmont), but they can all be toned down, where as a Mortal Kombat character cannot. The Kombat series' whole shtick is being overly brutal and gory, and Sakurai has always held it to be extremely important to properly represent the character and the series they're from, so in what way would toning scorpion down, or advertising that game in a T rated game (or is smash E10 now??) going to be ok? Mai Shiranui from the King of Fighters games was omitted from any representation at all because she's considered too risque. hell i remember people complaining quite extensively because Snake doesn't have any cheeks now (that always cracked me up but still holds some ground in this point).

and how does a very small insignificant reference that most people don't and would never even know about, count as representation of a character in smash? especially in a past installment :rolleyes:. that's nowhere near the same thing as an Assist trophy or spirit, as those actually show the character in reference. sorry but your arguments for this are kinda laughable, and this is the problem i have with the" walugi for smash" as a whole. Smash bros is a game that is meant to sell other games. Waluigi doesn't sell any games, because the only game it could sell (barely, if at all) is smash, and i doubt there's even one person alive who is refusing to buy smash just because waluigi isn't in it, lol. an obscure "reference" to a character without even showing anything of that character or the games they're from (your bayonetta "argument") doesn't sell any games either. hell simply having the presence of a character in smash, either playable, spirit, or assist trophy, raises awareness of that said character and can give people an interest that they previously may not have had.

Waluigi for smash is just nonsense following a dumb trend thats grown old. He's already in the game. just leave it be for this installment and move on. maybe the Waluigi "fans" will get lucky next time, but it honestly sounds like Sakurai couldn't care less, and neither could I. besides this isnt really a thread for debating waluigi. follow the rules of the thread please.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
1 Adeleine & Ribbon
2 (Classic) Ganon
3 Karate Joe
4 Captain Syrup
5 Hornet

(there are others btw, this is just my top 5 at the moment).

2. Jill (Drill Dozer)
This was one of my most wanted characters during the Smash 4 speculation, though my interest has gone when they put in Bowser Jr instead, who uses the same mech suit gimmick as her would have, including drills for attacks. I still would have prefered Jill over Bowser Jr though, and I wouldn't mind her being added in the future anyway, she can still bring gear-charged attacks and switch drill spin direction as unique features.

Drill Dozer brought me one of the most unique moments of my gamer life, the moment when I defused the bomb just a frame before the timer ran out, like in an action movie... I will never forget of that awesome lucky moment.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Or Adeleine, for that matter. Sakurai already said that a fun moveset is more important than relevance.
You fell for it, bro. :laugh: Its a quota Sakurai used because Terry wasn't considered relevant before his inclusion to Smash.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
You fell for it, bro. :laugh: Its a quota Sakurai used because Terry wasn't considered relevant before his inclusion to Smash.
That wasn't his point, though. His point was that you don't NEED to be relevant to be in Smash. The last time we saw :ultkrool:, for example (not counting his Trophy in Smash 4), was in Mario Super Sluggers from back in 2008.

KayaMarley

Smash Cadet
Neither does Piranha Plant.
Ok but your getting too hung up on just one factor for things. All of it needs to be taken into account, and waluigi literally has nothing. Piranha plant has featured in every major mario title, and there has been plenty of different types of him, both varying in color (alt skins) and abilities (a direct translation towards a moveset). Again, thats not a proper argument for waluigi to be in smash when he has absolutley nothing. Nothing for movesets, no game appearances outside of just party games (hell even goomba and toad do way better than waluigi in that regard), and he doesnt promote anything. You could technically argue that while P.plant is just a basic mario enemy, he does still promote the main line series in some capacity, where as waluigi doesnt. Hes literally a useless character and theres no point at all in him being made into a character. Since you cant seem to move on and respect the rules of this thread, please see yourself out. Thanks :)

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
That wasn't his point, though. His point was that you don't NEED to be relevant to be in Smash. The last time we saw :ultkrool:, for example (not counting his Trophy in Smash 4), was in Mario Super Sluggers from back in 2008.
K. Rool was ultimately added due to the ballet. :laugh:

whitesnake

Smash Apprentice
To start things off, my picks are...

1) Neku Sakuraba from The World Ends With You
2) Serge from Chrono Cross
3) Sylux from Metroid Prime
4) Edelgard from Fire Emblem Three Houses
5) Jak and Daxter from Jak & Daxter

There are others i want but they are already represented in some way, either as spirits or assists, and while i'd love for them to be playable, im ok with that. just glad they are getting represented at all honestly. (but RIP Goemon only being Mii Fighter Costume :sadeyes:)
If they put in a Chrono cross character before Chrono trigger I think people would be upset

Top Bottom