• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's your most nostalgic fighter/newcomer request?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
We all know that nostalgia plays an important part in liking a fighter, or wanting a newcomer. So who's you most nostalgic fighter or newcomer request?

D

Deleted member

Crash Bandicoot. Ive enjoyed that game series since I was like three, so it make me really happy if he ever made it in for nostalgia sake. :)

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Nostalgia-wise, Banjo Kazooie. There are other characters I want more, but if we're going to childhood, that's easily my choice

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Bomberman... Bomberman 64 is one of my all-time favorite games.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
King K.Rool was it before. Now it's definitely both Dixie Kong and Isaac.

Room100

Smash Apprentice
Sylux from Metroid Prime: Hunters since that was a favorite of mine growing up. More unlikely people like Master Chief or Ray Mk III also fall into that category.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Crash Bandicoot was pretty much the 1st videogame franchise I really got into.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Ridley was that character for me. Nowadays it's a toss-up between Dixie, Sora, and Terra, with Sora being the first character that came to mind for me when discussing potential 3rd party newcomers in Brawl.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Crash Bandicoot and Cloud were the first two characters I wanted in Smash, and with Cloud already in the game I'm halfway to getting my ultimate nostalgia picks.

Although Midna herself is a character I have a lot of nostalgic attachment towards, she didn't even exist back when I put all that mileage into Crash Warped.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I guess Geno and Banjo, but it feels really reductive to say that Nostalgia is the reason I want them in. I feel like Nostalgia has become a bit of a buzzword with a negative stigma attached to it and it really doesn't sit well with me.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I know she's a third-party with less then no chance of getting in, but Chell from the Portal series is probably the only character request I have that could qualify as "Nostalgic."

My childhood was mostly dominated by Pokemon and Lego, and I don't really feel "Nostalgia" towards Pokemon so much as "it's a thing that I still play nowadays." So... yeah...

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I've wanted Marina Liteyears since Smash 64 and my baby self was all over the Super Smash Bros. board on VG Chat campaigning for her to be in Smash for Dolphin.

I even voted for her in the Smash 4 ballot. The impossible dream will never die.

I'd Negæte That

Smash Cadet
Kirby's return to dreamland was basically the only game I played during my late elementary school years, so I'd be happy if Banadana Waddle Dee or Magolor got in. It was basically my favorite Nintendo game at the time.

Middle school was when I was introduced to Halo and basically the only series I played, esp. reach and odst. So in the highly unlikely chance that Chief gets in that would be my nostalgia hit. Bonus points for Buck.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
King K. Rool was that character for me. DKC along with SMW and Sonic 2 were the first games I've ever played. I have fond memories playing DKC while my mom watched. My mom wasn't that big into gaming and didn't seem interested in watching any games I played. The only games she enjoyed playing with me and my sister were Mario Kart 64, DK64, and Mario Party 2 (she would only play as DK in these games) and one of the very few she was obsessed with watching me play as a kid were DKC and ESPECIALLY DK64. DK64 was the first game I ever 100% completed (well 102% in DK64) and it was mostly because I enjoyed having my mom be interested in the thing I enjoyed doing the most, playing games! She LOVED K.Rool she thought he was a great villain just sad she didn't live to see the day he finally got into Smash.

Most nostalgic newcomer I want NOT in Smash yet? Honestly there isn't one anymore. I REALLY want Dixie Kong but I didn't play DKC2 and DKC3 as a kid. I first played them in 2009 on Wii VC. I also want Medusa but mostly do to Uprising and liking her design. Captain Toad and Bandana Dee I also support but both are fairly recent characters so have no nostalgia for them just think they both deserve to be on the roster.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Midna + Wolf Link.

The Wii was the only console I've ever sat outside a store to get. My friends and I sat in the cold outside a K-mart on lawn chairs to get three of the six that would be available. And it was all for Twilight Princess. When I got my Wii and got home, I plugged it in, started playing, and was so exhausted I fell asleep with the Wiimote strapped to my hand and hanging off the couch.

I loved Twilight Princess so much, and convinced myself a Wii was all I needed solely because of it and Brawl. Out of all of tLoZ's non-Triforce characters, Midna has always been and will likely always be my favorite.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
My nostalgia pick is Tails. Sonic 2 was my first even video game, and I always chose Tails as my player over Sonic. Add to that the EGM hoax, and I’d say he’s the most deserving character for Smash in my mind.

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
I think nostalgia is one of the worst reasons to want a character.
Why so? I think nostalgia is one of the best reasons to want a character. There's nothing quite like seeing a character you grew up with and idolized as a child make it into Smash. For me, seeing Banjo or Dixie make it in would be awesome, because they were the first two video game characters I played as, in Banjo & Kazooie and DKC3.

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
Toadette because Double Dash was amazing and I remember unlocking Toadette
Petey Piranha because Super Mario Sunshine was one of my childhood games and I remember Petey Piranha being a tricky boss
Tetra because Wind Waker was my first ever LoZ game
Most Sonic Characters because I did play Sonic games back in the day, Most notably Ultimate Flash Sonic and Sonic Heroes

Vermilion

Smash Cadet
I think nostalgia is one of the worst reasons to want a character.
Nostalgia is one of the worst reasons to expect a character. I think it’s a perfectly fine reason to want one, however. People like to play as characters they have fond memories of.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Ryu Hayabusa, because he was the reason I wanted to be a ninja back in the NES days.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
If I had to choose a character, it would be Grovyle and Celebi to represent the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers games. I played those a heck ton, and even a stage would suffice and make me nostalgic.
Chibi-Robo and Louie from Pikmin might make me a bit nostalgic. And a character with no chance, Sackboy, would also do the trick. I don't really want him in because he's owned by Sony and it would feel out of place, but he'd make me nostalgic.
Don't know if this fits, but a PokePark stage would make me feel nostaglic.

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Vaati but you could argue he could of been in Brawl if it had more time or started development sooner. One game one the GameCube one on the GBA. He was hot during the time

Duke Nukem I guess, because you could say his Character is dead while still in the hearts of some fans. (If you want to know why I feel like he actually should be in. he had a shrink ray, a freezethrower, a jet-pack, holograms, he used melee combat, he can jump around like Lara Croft, gots a lot of one liners to use for taunts, had games made for Nintendo consoles what where more than just ports.)

Edit to add one

An Overlord from an overlord game. His games are so dead I forgot he existed.

I would say Ray but he’s not going die im not going allow it

Last edited:

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman
Zapdos, definitely. When I was small it was my favourite Pokemon - I'm really not sure why, given that I only started really playing Pokemon with DPP, but it still has a soft spot in my heart.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Ridley, Dark Samus, Simon Belmont, K. Rool, and Snake. In no particular order.

Got 1 of them years ago, then they took it away, and then they came back by giving me everything I've wanted since I was a wee boy

The Lord giveth

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
77990-kickle-cubicle-nes-front-cover.jpg

kickle-1.png

Kickle. Nostalgia for when I was a kid and me and my mom would play this together.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Probably Milon from Milon's Secret Castle

It's not too many years ago that I played the game for the first time, but for some reason it's a very nostalgic character.
It also had a sequel but it was Japan-only
too bad that people consider it one of the worst games ever, I don't remember it being that bad and if I remember well I completed it without a guide, so...
I think it's hard and a bit unintuitive but it's fine to me, I like exploring those rooms and it felt like unlocking secret areas in Peach's Castle in Mario 64.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Definitely the Demi-fiend. SMT3 was one of the first JRPGs that shocked me with its world and designs. It showed me that videogames weren't just "guy with sword roaming fantasy world" and that decisions mattered.

Also, it got me into Devil May Cry so that's a big plus.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Probably Erdrick as, out of my top requests, Dragon Quest was the series I was most attached to as a kid.

I still love me some River City Ransom, Contra, Ninja Gaiden, etc. but I wasted entire summers of my life playing Dragon Quest games.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Poochy! Cause i loved the Yoshi series and is my most wanted for DLC
Sorry for the double post

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
There aren't really that many characters left that I want in Smash, but of those I do, Skull Kid's probably my most nostalgic

pezaddict

Smash Lord
Toadette because Double Dash was amazing and I remember unlocking Toadette
Petey Piranha because Super Mario Sunshine was one of my childhood games and I remember Petey Piranha being a tricky boss
Tetra because Wind Waker was my first ever LoZ game
Most Sonic Characters because I did play Sonic games back in the day, Most notably Ultimate Flash Sonic and Sonic Heroes
I've been wanting Petey Pirahna since Brawl was announced to be playable (and I have the post history here to prove it :-P), so I'd put him on my list also.

Other than that? I'm gonna go with an oddball pick and say Tiptup from Diddy Kong Racing since that was my first console game and I still really like it.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Classic Link (meaning "Classic", OoT, and/or TP) as an echo since I have too much affection for the old design to accept BotW Link as the base Link.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
We all know that nostalgia plays an important part in liking a fighter, or wanting a newcomer. So who's you most nostalgic fighter or newcomer request?
King K. Rool and Ridley for sure. I've been wanting both of them since I first saw their trophies in Melee. I've waited 17 years before their inclusion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom