• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

who's your main and what is your complaining about him?

Junno

Smash Rookie
:ultsonic: it isn't very strong, and the roll is easily counter by the shield.

Firox

Smash Master
:ultgreninja: Desperately in need of a better grab. Was god-tier in Sm4sh, but now has 10 frames for his FASTEST option? What the hell is up with that?!

GhostM

Phantom
:ultfalcon:
Already wrote about Falcon’s issues that I have with him, so I’ll just drop it down in a spoiler since it’s quite frankly really long and in depth. Trust me, it's really long, so you might get bored by reading it.
This is about how you guys feel about Falcon in his current state, with the latest patch being 4.0. Patch 3.1.0 did fix and tweak some minor issues with Falcon, but I feel like there is much more issues to fix to really help him excel in top level play.

For me personally, I will always play and main falcon in every single smash title, even in Brawl. I enjoy his fluent air and ground speed which helps excel with his already decent combo game. My problem with Falcon derive from issues that surround him in Ultimate that aren’t present in older smash titles, including Smash 4. I understand that his playstyle is a lot more different from what Smash 4 has to offer, but I feel like Falcon is a mid-tier character, lower from his normal placements in older smash titles excluding brawl, where he would normally be a B-tier character. I decided to compromise a list of issues that I personally have with Falcon in the current state of patch 4.0.

Issues with Falcon:
For a character like Falcon who is designed to rely on his ground speed and overall speed, Falcon has a short initial dash and one of the worst turnarounds in the entire game. His dash barely even helps to avoid getting hit, especially his turnaround speed being 13 frames long. His dash is overall worse than characters who were designed to be slow. Apparently when beginning the turnaround, he is the only one to have the problem where his model is pushed in the wrong direction for the first couple of frames.
View attachment 233696
Rockcrocking is when a Falcon player gets punished for landing their recovery move on another person since it sends Falcon at a weird angle that can be used to hit him. It’s not only Falcon that has this issue, but Ganondorf as well. You shouldn’t be punished simply because you landed your recovery move on an opponent. Falcon’s recovery has a huge emphasis on vertical movement, which is why his recovery is very linear and susceptible to gimps. Rockcrocking is just another weakness that hinders his already exploitable recovery. There are videos by FatalityFalcon that explain Rockcrocking in depth, but this screenshot should be able to sum it up easily.
View attachment 233677
Falcon’s Kick is a great kill move ever since patch 3.1.0, but his hitbox placement means that any characters who low profile or crouch can avoid the move entirely with correct positioning.
View attachment 233676
View attachment 233697
Up Tilt is a great anti aerial move and more faster ever since the 3.1.0 patch, but the bad thing about it is that Falcon’s leg is intangible, but places his hand in front of his leg which has a hitbox that can be used to still hit him, which doesn’t make any sense. The first screenshot shows his intangible leg hitbox, and the second one shows the hitbox of his hand which makes the intangibility useless.
View attachment 233679View attachment 233681
Jab is a decent move for falcon, coming out on frame 7 which can be used to rack up % alongside his other moves. The problem comes in when his jab doesn’t really connect in a fluent matter, causing it to whiff and allowing him to be punished for using one of his fastest tools for attacking. It especially whiffs with smaller characters such as Pichu for this instance, and can whiff with normal characters who are the same height as falcon.
View attachment 233699
Even with patch 3.1.0 in place that makes Raptor Boost come out faster, I still find it whiffing from time to time, and sometimes even seeing the fire come out of Raptor Boost but doing absolutely nothing.
View attachment 233700
Sometimes when you Up B and try to land on your opponent, it will miss even though you are directing it right next to them. This will also happen if your opponent is shielding.
View attachment 233704

*These videos are not mine. Credit is given to gng_ssb via twitter and others on the hashtag #FixFalcon. I knew about these problems but these clips are great examples of the problems that were listed on my list. Credit to FatalityFalcon for the visual hitbox display of UTilt, easy for anyone to read.

In all honesty I have no idea why Falcon has these issues in Ultimate. I never once had any issues like the ones on the list using him in Smash 4, well except maybe rock-crocking since it's been in the game since Melee, but it was never a prevalent issue for Falcon. I just hope that maybe one day all of these issues will be fixed, since it's really hindering Falcon's performance and holding him in mid-tier. If all of these problems were fixed, Falcon would be a much better character, but us Falcon mains for now will have to live with these issues.

:ultdoc: - Dr. Mario:
Other than his recovery that’s holding him back, there are other things in mind with that character that are sort of problematic, and things that I would definitely like to be tweaked. Some small ideas are to tweak forward air to be another viable kill option instead of just solely opting for Dr. Tornado. His dair and aerials are great, but I don't see forward air being utilized more. I guess this is only just me, and its probably just my bias since Dr. Mario's forward air in Smash 4 was a great kill option. I would just tweak it in general to be another good kill option offstage, since Dr. Tornado is a viable option, shown below, where the hitboxes are fairly good, and the end hitbox covers his entire body with some small amounts of range:

Don't get me wrong, It's a great move offstage and grounded, but I feel like it completely out performs the function of using forward air offstage as another kill option. Other than that, the only tweak that is just a minor issue would be to just slightly increase his air speed by a small amount, but just make it so that he's slower than Mario. It's better to keep echo characters different from another.

Last edited:

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
:ultincineroar: Only beef I have is the big boy is slooooooooooow. Everything else about him is great. If he had faster movement all across the board, even just by a smidgen, I'd love him more. Yet as he stands, I still love the crap out of the character.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
:ultkingdedede:: Hoo boy.
-Airspeed is pathetic
-Too slow overall
-Fastest OOS option is frame 6
-Gordo should not be able to be reflected
-It should not be possible to roll through inhale
-Inhale should come out faster
-Would it kill the devs to give Dedede an aerial that's safe on shield?

Top Bottom