• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's the best character but least technical?

notkain

Smash Rookie
Like I know Fox is really technical.

But for someone who doesn't have much tech skills yet, which character requires least tech but also is a pretty good character.

Just curious!

Popopidopop

Smash Cadet
Like I know Fox is really technical.

But for someone who doesn't have much tech skills yet, which character requires least tech but also is a pretty good character.

Just curious!
HINT it's a fruit, it is pink and it's best player is named after a fleet.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Puff, Peach

Sheik can be played in a nontechnical way with a good amount of success. She can be played pretty technical too though

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
If you're simply trying to learn a gateway character (a character that you can use to get a feel for the mechanics before moving to a more complex character), try Marth. His moderately sized dash dances and wavedashes help you get a feel for the game's movement. His sword and grab helps you learn about spacing. Since his recovery is limited, naturally you'll teach yourself more about DI and varying your recovery options. While he's not the best character, he's best to learn the game through imo and is the most balanced when it comes to strength proportionate to tech skill.

Sheik isn't bad either. Her aerials and tilts help you learn about shield poking, gimping/edgeguarding, and spacing (without a disjointed hitbox like Marth's sword). Her grab game helps you get used to tech chasing. Her needles helps with camping, her up-b helps with learning how to vary your recovery options, etc. Since most of her aerials have little lag, quick, powerful, and link together easily, you may also get a feel of how to combo in this game. Some may disagree, but I think Sheik, out of all the characters in the cast, has the most moves that are actually effective with frequency in competitive play. Unlike Marth, she also has a sex kick, one of the most important moves in Smash. As many different characters have a sex kick in their pocket, learning to use Sheik's will serve you well later. Also unlike Marth, she has much better and more flexible Oos options that you can learn and get used to. On the flip side, you're more likely to learn the value of wavedashing and dashdancing through playing Marth rather than Sheik simply because he does it better. Plus, Marth's match ups are generally straightforward and easier to understand.

While Puff arguably utilizes the least amount of wavedashing out of the top tiers, she relies heavily on l-canceling and spacing. Depending on who you're playing, not knowing how to play Puff properly will get you slaughtered almost immediately due to her glass canon like qualities. She'll seem relatively straightforward and even an easy win character, but as you move higher and higher up the rankings, you'll find more and more players that know how to absolutely wreck any Puff aside from a few special ones.

Peach is decent for learning how to play defensive because she can utilize turnips, d-smash, floating, and various Oos options to promote that specific playstyle. She also requires very little wavedashing and other AT's, but her some of her moves can be laggy and very punishable/interruptable, which can make it difficult to get used to. She also arguably requires the least amount of L-cancelling, which practically makes "tech" skill per se very small at early levels. However, she still requires precision. In higher level play, missed moves can potentially lead to death if your facing a Fox or Falco.

Falcon is good for learning about SHFFLing and tech-chasing. Since Falcon has such an abysmal recovery, you may naturally learn how to play more safe and utilize baiting while still being on the offensive. Otherwise, he's difficult to use.

You can also play Fox and Falco on the side. Both of these characters are still excellent even without their shines. Their various recovery options using Up-b and side-b for example can help you learn different ways to recover back on stage. Falco especially can help you learn how to camp using lasers, which are possibly the best projectiles in the game. Since their so fast, playing and getting used to their speed will naturally get you used to the game's overall speed (for lack of better words). Plus, as Fox and Falco are among the most common characters you'll meet in tournaments, learning how they play will eventually benefit you in the end when learning different characters.

tl;dr or if you're not looking for a gateway character, just Marth and Sheik. Peach/Puff if you really don't want to learn how to wavedash.
Remember though that every character still utilizes wavedashing and wavelanding to different extents in the highest levels of play. It's very helpful to learn.

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Yeah Fox really doesn't require technicality to be abused, as long as you know how to grab, usmash, and laser (though this will obviously not get you very far with him)

Peach is the first character that comes to mind for less technical AND still viable, but even she has a weird playstyle compared to a lot of characters. Like...to this day I cannot play Peach whatsoever. I'm awful with her because it really is a completely different way of going about doing everything, as opposed to Fox, Ganon, Falcon, Sheik, etc.

Sheik is good in a different sense though, in that she has like infinity auto-combos that involve lots of tilts and grabs. But you really do need to be able to short hop and l-cancel with her (imo) to make like....anything happen. So in that case, she is technically more technical (lol) than Peach

Then there is Jiggs, who (like Peach) has a completely unique style unlike any other character. She requires much more -precision- than Peach does though. So if you consider precision to be a form of tech skill, then Peach is less technical than Jiggs.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
If by technical you mean purely buttons being pressed than Peach is least technical. Honestly, you can play any character with without a ton of buttons. You don't need crazy shine shield pressure to play Fox.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Tech skill is something you can grind in your room. Pick a character you are comfortable with because there's going to be a lot of work for you to do regardless.

Hax

Smash Champion
Wait what? at higher levels Peach is far more technical than Sheik/Jigglypuff. precision definitely falls under techskill; Sheik and Jigglypuff have much more generous room for error on just about everything. Peach's positioning during both combos and neutral game has to be immaculate. FC'd/DJC'd aerials alone make for a much more technical character than Sheik/Jiggly.

Popopidopop

Smash Cadet
Yes the fact that you dont have to lc your arials sure make for a higher technical error chance.......???!@$//&@/!/!/¥₩₩♡♡♥♥♡£`€}+

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
All I know is that even IF Puff's aerials are easy to use, they are not easy to space, and Puff is strictly a bad character if you're not experienced with her. Most the people here who suggest Puff being extremely easy probably have never touched her in their life and if they did they probably quit after losing repeatedly for 3 hours.

I'm just a little unsure where the easy suggestion of getting into the game changed from Sheik to Puff because I don't think that's ever going to change. It's always going to be Sheik.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Puff is better, and easier to use lol. You Bair and then pull away right after you do it (most of the time) so that you cannot be punished. You do not have to worry about being gimped as her, and you can go for risky edge guards without them actually being risky. Sheik is mad easy to use, but not easier than Puff/Peach is (at least not puff). They're definitely the top 3 easiest though. Falco 4th since his tech skill is easy but you can autopilot easy with him (for example his jump/short hop is 2 frames easier to do than Fox/Sheik's short hops are).

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
Puff is better, and easier to use lol. You Bair and then pull away right after you do it (most of the time) so that you cannot be punished. You do not have to worry about being gimped as her, and you can go for risky edge guards without them actually being risky. Sheik is mad easy to use, but not easier than Puff/Peach is (at least not puff). They're definitely the top 3 easiest though. Falco 4th since his tech skill is easy but you can autopilot easy with him (for example his jump/short hop is 2 frames easier to do than Fox/Sheik's short hops are).

"Puff is better"

That's an opinion. And not that it matters, but it's one that a majority of people consider wrong.

"And easier to use"

Also an opinion just like everything else in this thread.

"Bair thing"

Let me know how that works on Mango.

"You do not have to worry about being gimped as her"

You're joking right? That's completely character and stage dependent for one, but for two, she is a gimp in herself. In addition, Mango has something to say about your non-gimping thing.

"Can go for risky edge guards without worry"

That's only somewhat true. If she gets illusioned by Falco and is forced to jump/air dodge on, you can kill her, and I'd argue pretty easily/well too since she'll usually be out of jumps.

As for Falco, I don't know how much I agree or not about him being 4th. I don't really care though as that doesn't pertain to the topic of who is easiest overall. I'd also completely disagree that Peach is "easy" to use. I'm a bit unsure of where all these blanket statements about Puff and Peach have come from, and I have a large suspicion it's on the scale of Armada and Hungrybox doing so well with them. And if that's the case then I have nothing to say except that that's pretty funny.

I think that everyone is hard to play in their own unique way. If you play with nothing in mind other than emulating what other players do then you will never find the same success as said player, because all you're doing is taking what they do and applying it, except you're not as good at it because you haven't been in said situations enough to know the intricacies like they do. But in terms of who is easiest to just pick up and go, I'll always personally say Sheik.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
"Puff is better"

That's an opinion. And not that it matters, but it's one that a majority of people consider wrong.

"And easier to use"

Also an opinion just like everything else in this thread.

"Bair thing"

Let me know how that works on Mango.

"You do not have to worry about being gimped as her"

You're joking right? That's completely character and stage dependent for one, but for two, she is a gimp in herself. In addition, Mango has something to say about your non-gimping thing.

"Can go for risky edge guards without worry"

That's only somewhat true. If she gets illusioned by Falco and is forced to jump/air dodge on, you can kill her, and I'd argue pretty easily/well too since she'll usually be out of jumps.

As for Falco, I don't know how much I agree or not about him being 4th. I don't really care though as that doesn't pertain to the topic of who is easiest overall. I'd also completely disagree that Peach is "easy" to use. I'm a bit unsure of where all these blanket statements about Puff and Peach have come from, and I have a large suspicion it's on the scale of Armada and Hungrybox doing so well with them. And if that's the case then I have nothing to say except that that's pretty funny.

I think that everyone is hard to play in their own unique way. If you play with nothing in mind other than emulating what other players do then you will never find the same success as said player, because all you're doing is taking what they do and applying it, except you're not as good at it because you haven't been in said situations enough to know the intricacies like they do. But in terms of who is easiest to just pick up and go, I'll always personally say Sheik.
Umm.. we're talking about entry level not the world level here. Wtf...

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
You have to l-cancel for Ganon to be worth ANYTHING in entry level melee

You do not have to l-cancel anything for Peach to be useful in entry level melee

As Kage said, this guy is talking str8 noob status stuff, not 1337 Evo championship level play. Anyone who has a free pass to completely bypass the utility of basic tech skill (eg. Puff, Peach, Sheik (sorta)) is going to be more noob friendly to begin with. It's that simple. People keep looking for a debate here for no damn reason lol

Popopidopop

Smash Cadet
Yeah think about why noobs get r*ped.
1, they dont DI good enough and die early, play as shiek and you will die, as puff you die kinda early and as peach its np you won't die.
2, poor recovery. Oh play peach or puff and you are fine, shiek gets r*ped once again.
3 neutral game. Turnips and fc arials to dsmash and ul be fine as a noob, bair spam and ur almost fine, play shiek and feel just as lost as any other character.
Now which character comes out ahead on all 3 key points?
Yes it is the pink queen of f**king everything

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
For noob level? Link.

So many of his good attacks are ground or specials or FJ nair.

Your alternatives are Sheik, Doc, and Luigi.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
For noob level? Link.

So many of his good attacks are ground or specials or FJ nair.

Your alternatives are Sheik, Doc, and Luigi.

My first character when i picked up the game was Link actually then Samus. Back then I didn't even know that jumping was a commitment but I knew at least both those characters had really strong ground moves, you are right. My friend and I we used to do 2v2 and put the 2 comps level 9 with handicap 1 or 2, fun times.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
i play all of the characters at top level, that's how i know

I disagree, when you are top level, you tend to forget what you did when you were ****. There's nothing really concrete to compare to. Just like when you get older, you get the impression your eyes cant see as far as when you are young but.. how can you really compare that? Its no longer tangible.

Doctor Pink

Smash Apprentice
I personally would say Doc. He is easy to use without much tech-skill, and he is very good. Not quite top, forcing you to work for your wins a bit more. Also, Hi M2K!

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
I'm actually pretty surprised that Sheik isn't in the vast majority here.
First, the learning curve for Sheik is very, very stable with no barriers or advanced techniques that you absolutely have to learn in order to improve (with the exception of L-canceling, of course). Unlike Falco and Peach, both who have some pretty tricky techniques that are downright necessary for their characters, Sheik has nothing of the sort, so you don't have to dedicate time to play by yourself and learn such techniques. You just play other people, and you get better. It's that simple. Even Marth has a chaingrab against spacies that's super important to learn. That's not to say Sheik has no advanced techniques, just that they are much less important on her than any other character.

In regards to Puff, spacing is lot harder than people are making it out to be. I guess spacing doesn't count as techskill, but it's still really tricky compared to most things Sheik can do. Also, not only is Sheik generally considered to be stronger than Puff, but more people would agree she's more fun to play as, and everyone and their grandmother would say she's more fun to play against. Puff is widely acknowledged as the most frustrating character in the game, and for a good reason. Sheik causes some rage (much less so now than back in the day) because of how easy to use she is, but that kind of proves my point.

That said, Marth, Puff, and Peach all come pretty close to Sheik in terms of easiness of use. It's not a massive difference, but all the same, I think Sheik takes the cake for this one.

notkain

Smash Rookie
tl;dr or if you're not looking for a gateway character, just Marth and maybe Sheik.

Yes, actually this is what I really looking for, I didn't know how to word it, but a gateway character is what I was looking for!

D

Deleted member

best characters are like fox falco sheik marth peach jpuff ICs.

of which fox is probably the easiest.

stay away from ICs at least.

good luck.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
best characters are like fox falco sheik marth peach jpuff ICs.

of which fox is probably the easiest.

stay away from ICs at least.

good luck.
Am I mis-remembering or did you not used to think IC were viable?

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Yes the fact that you dont have to lc your arials sure make for a higher technical error chance.......???!@$//&@/!/!/¥₩₩♡♡♥♥♡£`€}+
If you've never watched Armada, I can see why you'd post this. But Peach absolutely needs L cancelling.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I agree with M2K in regards to Jiggs. I tried getting back into smash around 2010, and went to a tournament where all my characters were just straight demolished by this dude and demoralized me hardcore. My friend Ryan was talking to me about how good Puff was during the time where Puff was pretty much a smash god, and so I switched to Puff at the tournament before it started and played as many friendlies as possible. Even without anything but half-way decent spacing, I outperformed what I was doing with my other characters cause Puff is so hard to punish (which was my major problem, I was playing '06 style doing stupid aerial pressure with Marth and crap).

Puff, probably more so than Marth, is all about spacing. It's an important trait that every character needs to be amazing at as well, and she requires VERY little tech at entry level so you can really focus and develop it. I very much recommend Puff for a new player wanting to break into the scene. Sheik is my second pick, for similar reasons, but she is easier to punish and has more demanding tricks to learn.

Top Bottom