• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's more likely? Isaac or Geno?

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
Unrealistic biased answer from me is Isaac because I love the death out of Golden Sun and I never played Mario RPG so I can't say I can appreciate Geno the same way others do.

Realistic answer it's really 50/50 here both suffer from the same problems of relevancy. Both have a lot of love form their respective fanbase. I'd have to ultimately say Geno ONLY for the fact that Sakurai has gone on record about wanting to add him in.

Last edited:

TBone06

Smash Ace
Unrealistic biased answer from me is Isaac because I love the death out of Golden Sun and I never played Mario RPG so I can't say I can appreciate Geno the same way others do.

Realistic answer it's really 50/50 here both suffer from the same problems of relevancy. Both have a lot of love form their respective fanbase. I'd have to ultimately say Geno ONLY for the fact that Sakurai has gone on record about wanting to add him in.
Based on how things are going, I don't see the relevancy issue hurting either of them. K. Rool and Chrom both aren't really relevant anymore. Sakurai has gone on record he's adding highly requested characters. I think popularity trumps relevancy to a degree. The fact that Ashley was disconfirmed shows that the more relevant characters don't necessarily have the advantage.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
I'd Say Geno; Especially since Sakurai has gone on record to say that even HE wants the star puppet to be in the game; and has wanted him to be in Since Brawl!!

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
Only thing potentially holding Geno back is Square. Sakurai already said he wanted to put him in, so if Square agrees...he'd probably be in by now.

Isaac has to deal with Golden Sun now being a long dead franchise with no indication it'll continue. It's also possible his Assist trophy was removed in Smash U for contract reasons with Camelot? Who knows.
But you gotta think, it has been even longer since king k rool was in a game than isaac, and he at one point had an assist trophy. So i think it is all coming down to the ballot and fan demand. If this is the case i say they both have a good chance at this point. Also camelot only owns the program for the Golden Sun games, nintendo owns the characters.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I'd say both.

Isaac and Geno are very popular ballot picks.

And they do come from very old RPG's.

So idk.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think Smashboards might be skewing your perspective on the last one. Isaac does seem more popular here, but at large, usually the edge goes to Geno.

It certainly wasn't Geno's relevance that got him that costume...
Geno’s costume is also a nod to the fact that Sakurai considered him for Brawl.

I don’t know about other sites, but Isaac beat Geno handily on the Reddit poll of 10k votes (even beating K. Rool) and he was in the top 10 of Tumblr’s Nintendo characters poll (as was Geno for third party).

Geno support was huge during Brawl but isn’t as big now.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Honestly I think it could depend on how well they did on the ballot.

I do think people have been downplaying Isaacs popularity in polls, from what I've seen the Isaac thread on Smashboards isn't just an echo chamber.

KurouKamen

Smash Cadet
Isaac, as seen with Shovel Knight Sakurai is using the ballot but he still has to decide on whether or not to make said choice a fighter or not. Geno is a one off Mario character and the fact Square licensed only two songs makes me doubtful Sakurai will bother. Issac is a first party whom is easier to add in as well as representing a new franchise, not just another Mario rep. Also do not compare Geno to Ridley and K Rool, those guys are recurring main villains, not a party member for one spinoff game.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Porque no los dos?

If I had to pick one as more likely, I'd give it to Geno due to getting the Mii costume + Sakurai explicitly mentioning him in interviews. But I think they're both among the two most likely characters remaining, assuming the trend of popular fan favorite picks continues.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Unfortunately Geno.

But Isaac isn't completely unlikely at this point either with Ridley and K. Rool being added, and that image. Still have to wonder what happened to his Assist.

Last edited:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Geno just has so much going for him that it that point, I would be shocked if he didn’t make the cut.

-One of the biggest fan requests since the pre-Brawl days, similar to a couple of reptiles that made it in just recently. While things were a little quieter pre-Smash 4, I know for a fact he had a strong amount of Ballot support. Clearly, this game is all about big fanservice.

-While Square support is iffy, we know that they seem to have no problem with Sakurai utilizing Geno, or else they wouldn’t have let him show up as a Mii Costume over the vast number of other characters they could have pushed instead.

-Sakurai thinks he is a good fit for Smash, and has talked about him directly, something that few other characters can claim. If it wasn’t already obvious, he knows that Geno is a big request, and he seems on board with it. The Mii Costume might have been made as a compromise, but K. Rool, Chrom, and Inklings show that it’s not a death sentence.

It’s a relatively perfect storm, from what I can see. This isn’t to say I think Isaac is doomed, by any means, but if I had to make a bet, I’d say smart money is on Geno.

Last edited:

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
geno probably but why not both. that whole picture on the smash bros website where it mimics the battle from the golden sun games really gives a hint. it's weird but I think Geno is more likely. I'm sure he is 100% in

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Isaac mostly because Sakurai has failed to get Geno twice now. Maybe 3rd times the charm but due to being a first party and not having issues with negotiations I give this to Isaac.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
This is a tough one while I don't have any strong feeling towards either character (never played Golden Sun and didn't really care for Mario RPG enough to get far into it) I have to say Geno is probably more likely simply because I see him higher on more fan polls than Issac. The fact that he had a Mii costume in Wii U/3DS, and Sakurai has directly mentioned him in interviews I give the edge to Geno.

Though personally if Sakurai held a gun to my head and told me to choose one I'd probably go with Issac. Simply because I would like to see a Golden Sun stage as well as Golden Sun music tracks. Where as while Geno is yes technically a Square character he is also a Mario character and I doubt we would get a Mario RPG stage to accompany him (we didn't get another DK stage when they added Rool or a Metroid stage with Ridley). Not to mention sorry personal bias but I'd rather see Captain Toad or Paper Mario for another "Mario rep" more than Geno.

Top Bottom