• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's more likely? Isaac or Geno?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Thinking about Newcomers that could still potentially be announced that are demanded heavily there's only two real names that comes to mind. Geno and Isaac.

So, who is more likely?

PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD CIVIL! IT'S MEANT FOR DISCUSSION, SPECULATION, AND DEBATE NOT FLAMING!

D

Deleted member

I'd argue that Geno is more likely at this point.

He's already on the radars of the Smash Developers because of both his Mii Costume and Sakurai pushing for him as far back as Brawl. Plus with Cloud being in the game you don't really have to worry about that whole "who should be the FIRST Square-Enix rep" debacle anymore.

Isaac on the other hand is from a series that was never a super hard heavy hitter and has more than fallen out of relevance. And there's a lot of debate right now on whether or not the 103 stages shown in the direct are all the stages in the base game. If they are then the lack of a Golden Sun stage raises some questions since a character from a series not already on the roster typically brings a stage from that series with them.

Isaac could break that trend though. And the ballot probably did him some favors. I'm not saying that Isaac has no chance but I would say that Geno is more likely.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Oh geno by far

Sakurai wants geno

Square enix more cooperative

Ballot is confirmed used for ultimate newcomers (proof Is k rool, dark Samus, chrom, Simon, daisy and ofcoarse Ridley)

Geno is the last one from brawl character list

We already got cloud

Honestly I would be shocked if geno not in at this point

DogManStar

Smash Ace
I'm gonna say Geno. Sakurai himself wants him, he's got a mii costume, and I think he's more popular overall. I wouldn't be surprised to see Geno at this point, Isaac would definitely shock me more.

SamDunk

Smash Cadet
From what I can tell, Geno seems to be much more requested, and fan service really seems to be guiding Sakurai in his decision making process this time. Plus, we have record of Sakurai saying he wanted to put Geno in.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The better question to ask is whether or not Skull Kid is more likely than Geno.

Isaac has a different ballgame of criteria to overcome that does not make the match-up against Geno that substantially interesting to discuss.

The entire discussion of this thread would just be mostly Geno responses, with a couple of Isaac supporters coming in to say that Isaac was arguably more voted than Geno in the ballot.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Only thing potentially holding Geno back is Square. Sakurai already said he wanted to put him in, so if Square agrees...he'd probably be in by now.

Isaac has to deal with Golden Sun now being a long dead franchise with no indication it'll continue. It's also possible his Assist trophy was removed in Smash U for contract reasons with Camelot? Who knows.

Baddies are back

Smash Apprentice
To be fair we don't actually know how square is cooperating as we've only seen exactly what square allowed in 4 with no evidence of anything else. So really I'd say it's a coin flip with fifty fifty odds. And really, taking an objective look at everything, Isaac has fewer obstacles to overcome than Geno does because Geno is less relevant than Isaac in terms of games and is owned by a third party.

D

Deleted member

The better question to ask is whether or not Skull Kid is more likely than Geno.

Isaac has a different ballgame of criteria to overcome that does not make the match-up against Geno that substantially interesting to discuss.

The entire discussion of this thread would just be mostly Geno responses, with a couple of Isaac supporters coming in to say that Isaac was arguably more voted than Geno in the ballot.
Remind me, has the Skull Kid assist trophy from Wii U/3DS been shown in Ultimate yet?

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Geno probably is more likely. If Isaac isn’t playable I hope his assist trophy comes back!

cybersai

Smash Ace
Also why is this thread only asking between the two of them specifically? They have nothing in common, and others like Bandana Dee are probably up there. Or Ashley before she was deconfirmed.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Geno, but that is only because Sakurai was on the record for saying he is interested in bringing Geno to Smash. I am sure Square Enix will be cooperative and Sakurai can negotiate a good deal for bringing the dream of Geno in Smash. Time will tell, but I think both Issac and Geno should make it in.

D

Deleted member

Also why is this thread only asking between the two of them specifically? They have nothing in common, and others like Bandana Dee are probably up there. Or Ashley before she was deconfirmed.
I would guess it has something to do with NonSpecificGuy's stance on Isaac and Geno being "the ones that come to mind" in the realms of likely characters yet to be revealed.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
I would consider several other characters as more likely before either, but out of those two, Geni for sure (can’t believe I’m saying that). He seems to be a much more popular choice, and has Sakurai bias to boot.

It’s weird how much my thoughts on particular characters’ chances have changed over the past decade or so of speculation. I’ve never considered Geno likely. I’ve always thought of him as an obscure “bandwagon” character that people decide to support because it has become more and more trendy over the years and because he has a very appealing design. I considered Isaac to be a strong possibility for Brawl, but after that my expectations dwindled.

However, since were scraping the bottom of the barrel for newcomers, that along with the fact that all Ultimate newcomers so far fit the theme of fan service, I’d say Geno actually has a chance now due to his undying popularity and his vocal fan base.

D

Deleted member

To be fair we don't actually know how square is cooperating as we've only seen exactly what square allowed in 4 with no evidence of anything else.
That sad moment when you remember that yesterday's direct revealed that so far there are still only two Final Fantasy Music Tracks -_- I really hope we get more.

Baddies are back

Smash Apprentice
That sad moment when you remember that yesterday's direct revealed that so far there are still only two Final Fantasy Music Tracks -_- I really hope we get more.
I hope we get more as well, overall I find another final fantasy character to be more likely than Geno. Probably Terra or a black mage because Terra is a main character in 6 and black mage because of the original final fantasy.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
To be fair we don't actually know how square is cooperating as we've only seen exactly what square allowed in 4 with no evidence of anything else. So really I'd say it's a coin flip with fifty fifty odds. And really, taking an objective look at everything, Isaac has fewer obstacles to overcome than Geno does because Geno is less relevant than Isaac in terms of games and is owned by a third party.
This is basically my stance on things. I realize that the fact that Sakurai wants Geno is a decent excuse for him being more likely but evidence shows that Square only has as much in Ultimate as they did in For and that's to say, near minimum. Isaac on the other hand may be irrelevant but so is Geno, and for that matter, K. Rool. I'm not really too sure who is more requested but just going by what's on here Isaac has more pages than Geno in terms of their respective threads.

I think Isaac is more likely but, again, it's subjective. I could definitely see both happening.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Sakurai hadn't worked with Square and included Geno in the last game I'd say Isaac.

But he did. So I won't.

D

Deleted member

This is basically my stance on things. I realize that the fact that Sakurai wants Geno is a decent excuse for him being more likely but evidence shows that Square only has as much in Ultimate as they did in For and that's to say, near minimum. Isaac on the other hand may be irrelevant but so is Geno, and for that matter, K. Rool. I'm not really too sure who is more requested but just going by what's on here Isaac has more pages than Geno in terms of their respective threads.

I think Isaac is more likely but, again, it's subjective. I could definitely see both happening.
One other point that might be in Isaac's favor is that around the time of Smash 4 speculation, there was at least a decent crop of people who gave up on Geno because they just didn't find him likely.

That might mean that Isaac ended up with more ballot support than Geno. But that's just a guess.

Let's be real though, both of them would be amazing additions to the game.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Bandana Dee has more relevancy than both of them so I feel like he has far more of an advantage. For Geno and Isaac there's one pro and one con to both of them really.

Geno: pro, he had a Mii costume. Easy to see him and K. Rool sharing that as they're both very popular. Con, Square is, seemingly, not being very cooperative if Final Fantasy is anything to go by.
Isaac: pro, he's a first party character, no complications with another development studio to worry about. He's also incredibly popular. Cons, his series had an incredible lack of content from his series in For. The only thing it got was music. So, really I could see it going either way I hope Sakurau just say **** it and adds both because I adore both characters, however, I'm in the club that Isaac is more likely but again that's subjective.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I think Isaac is likelier. First party, was in more games, is more relevant, and (this is my perception) has more support.

However, I’m feeling they’re both getting in.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think Isaac is likelier. First party, was in more games, is more relevant, and (this is my perception) has more support.

However, I’m feeling they’re both getting in.
I think Smashboards might be skewing your perspective on the last one. Isaac does seem more popular here, but at large, usually the edge goes to Geno.

It certainly wasn't Geno's relevance that got him that costume...

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
And about the FF songs, it could be that they have something planned for Square related stuff later and don't want to give anything away for now. I could easily see them dropping a Zack echo and then bringing up a bunch of new FF stuff like assists or even items. They are not on the final build after all, and other things could take precedence. Plus, that is FF music, music that has tons of different composers to ask and is apart of one of the biggest RPG franchises of all time, compared to SMRPG and it's one game(That while has some historical importance, does not factor here). Plus, from the Sakurai and Nomura interviews, Square was very hands off when it came to how Cloud was made, so Square isn't even that bad when it comes to the characters themselves.

Edit: So yeah, I am a leaning on Geno. Still want to see both in the game though.

Last edited:

domriver

Smash Lord
I think Smashboards might be skewing your perspective on the last one. Isaac does seem more popular here, but at large, usually the edge goes to Geno.

It certainly wasn't Geno's relevance that got him that costume...
QFT.

Also Geno for the all already stated facts. Issac not to sure. They are probably both in though. Issac was in the polls. Though I believe Geno was higher than Issac hmm

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
OMG this thread, lol.

I'm going to go for Geno since he had representation in Smash 4. Other characters that got costumes are getting the upgrade to character ...or should I say kharacter... status.

He's got over one of his biggest hurdles which was always Square's involvement with the game. Now Square seem to be as protective of their IP's as usual with only having 2 FF7 songs in Smash, and Square's protectiveness is the biggest problem I see. But he was able to get a costume in Smash 4, so I don't think it's as big a problem as people think

Isaac is a complete unknown. No word from Sakurai or representation in Smash 4. So, I don't think we know anything about how likely he really is.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
With Ridley and K. Rool being added, they seem to be going all out with the highly requested fighters so I'd have to go with Geno.

Elin

Your face is strange... Is it always like that?
NNID
ShinySilverEevee
3DS FC
5301-1189-1305
even sakurai wants geno in, the most he has going against him at this rate is not appearing in another game besides his debut but that doesn’t seem to matter

whereas golden sun is 100% forgotten by nintendo

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
Geno is almost guaranteed at this point given that Square is involved with Cloud, especially since they got the rights to use him for a Mii Gunner costume. Isaac is extremely unlikely given how Golden Sun is pretty much forgotten by Nintendo to the point where his assist trophy was gone in SSB4.

grizby2

Smash Lord
I feel like sakurai is really paying attention to the fans now, so if he wants to surprise us with something that's BIGGER or at least CLOSE to Ridleys reveal, then i'd say he'd pull out Geno on us.

iirc, Geno has a following among both western and eastern fans right? Geno is like.... that one character you think is lost to the past, but then sakurai can be like "HA! YOU THOUGHT! BUT HERE HE IS!" I think that would make for some spectacular hype! even though i'm not the biggest geno fan, theres something in the back of my mind that absolutely knows how HUGE of a deal he would be!

if all else fails though, I can see geno being an echo fighter for megaman, despite being from a different franchise~

TBone06

Smash Ace
I think they are both the remaining big guns in regards to old, requested characters. I think there's a lot of evidence for the inclusion of Geno. Clearly I'm biased, but I really believe he'll complete the threesome of Ridley, K. Rool and Geno. I think the Mii Costume was definitely a precursor as well as the fact that Sakurai clearly wants him doesn't hurt either.

Isaac being missing from Smash 4 doesn't rule him out in my opinion, but I do think it could show that Golden Sun isn't a factor for them. However, it could mean they removed him as an AT to make him a playable character, and it didn't turn out. I definitely want to see both.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
That's a real good question as both have seen better days but still have a faithful following in the Smash community. If I really had to pick on, I'd say Geno just barely steps ahead since he has been beloved since SNES days, even if he's pretty much forgotten by the general gaming community now. Plus, he's part of the biggest gaming series, which has to amount for something.

With that said, I do vastly prefer Isaac over Geno, if nothing else that he brings more new content to Smash than Geno would.

Nimbostratus

Smash Journeyman
It's pretty hard to discuss Isaac as we have no idea what went on behind-the-scenes during Smash 4. What happened to his Assist Trophy and why? His name hasn't been mentioned, so his situation could have ranged anywhere from just barely missing out to being completely ignored.
I do think Isaac may have been more popular on the Ballot, but it's possible Geno edged him out as well. I wouldn't be shocked to see Isaac get confirmed out of the blue, and there are more reasons to be optimistic now than there were at the beginning of SSBU speculation. But given the lack of behind-the-scenes evidence of any kind, while there are clear points in Geno's favor (working with Square, name dropped by Sakurai, getting a Mii costume), I have no choice but to say Geno by a strong margin.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Surprising Geno.

Everything seems to be going in his favor while Isaac’s series has now ceased.

I’d love to see Isaac but I just don’t see it happening at this point.

Top Bottom