• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who's a good secondary for a Bowser Jr. main?

beartic

Smash Cadet
NNID
bearticyo
3DS FC
0018-2064-4339
I've been looking for a good secondary to use alongside Bowser Jr. but I'm not really sure on who I should try. I can use Pac-Man, Jigglypuff, Kirby, Shulk fairly well so maybe one of those could become my secondary? Anyone else have any ideas? Feel free to suggest characters I haven't listed as that's very helpful :> Thanks!

Super ninja panda

Smash Rookie
I recommend shiek.she covers every single bad match up after she gets nerf go Rosalina & luma cuz why not lol

beartic

Smash Cadet
NNID
bearticyo
3DS FC
0018-2064-4339
I've tried Sheik before but I feel as if everyone knows how to deal with her now as she's so common and for Rosalina, I really don't like her moveset and I find her difficult to use

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
I also main Duck Hunt, who definitely can handle certain MUs better than Jr can, like Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Robin. I secondary Zelda, Charizard, and Ryu (he's probably the highest up on the tier list out of the folks I've mentioned here).

All of the characters you've mentioned in your 1st post fare better against Olimar than Jr. I've dabbled in all 4 of those characters, and they definitely can better handle some MUs that Jr struggles with, like Yoshi, Mario Bros (Doc included), and Greninja.

beartic

Smash Cadet
NNID
bearticyo
3DS FC
0018-2064-4339
I guess I'll have to test them against some of his matchups again to help decide, thanks :>

Kantrip

Kantplay
Meta Knight is a good secondary because he does well against Sheik and Rosa, two of junior's tougher matchups.

beartic

Smash Cadet
NNID
bearticyo
3DS FC
0018-2064-4339
I might consider that as I enjoy using him!

Dayzin

Smash Journeyman
Currently on a search for my own secondary also. Tried Dunk hunt and Mewtwo but didn't really work out. Currently on Fox and I he might be a solid pick ( at least to me idk about matchups) though i heard he may of gotten nerfed after yesterdays patch.

-Grimm-

Smash Rookie
I have Luigi and Lucas as backups. Luigi only improves a few matchups (link, toon link, Lucas/Ness, etc), but can be a good mixup if you're getting read too much as jr. Lucas is even better for the bad matchups and is less predictable than Luigi because of the lack of solid Lucas representation

beartic

Smash Cadet
NNID
bearticyo
3DS FC
0018-2064-4339
I have Luigi and Lucas as backups. Luigi only improves a few matchups (link, toon link, Lucas/Ness, etc), but can be a good mixup if you're getting read too much as jr. Lucas is even better for the bad matchups and is less predictable than Luigi because of the lack of solid Lucas representation
I've been using Lucas alot at the moment too and feel like I can use him fairly well, so maybe I should consider him, I have so many options now lol

beartic

Smash Cadet
NNID
bearticyo
3DS FC
0018-2064-4339
I don't think that Ness and Mario are that bad for Jr in fact I think both of those match ups are even
Mario is pretty awful to be honest, Ness is bad but not as bad as mario

TheQTpie

Smash Cadet
NNID
Qu1nn9250
Mario is pretty awful to be honest, Ness is bad but not as bad as mario
in the past i've won against players playing both mario and ness that were on par with me in skill level while playing jr. I think it's just a matter of playing the match up right imo

beartic

Smash Cadet
NNID
bearticyo
3DS FC
0018-2064-4339
in the past i've won against players playing both mario and ness that were on par with me in skill level while playing jr. I think it's just a matter of playing the match up right imo
I guess it's just personal opinion, but most jrs seem to agree the mario is awful for us

Pandarian

Smash Rookie
NNID
PandarianX
Meta Knight is a good secondary because he does well against Sheik and Rosa, two of junior's tougher matchups.
def agree with rosa, but as a meta knight main, sheik MU is actually awful for mk, you need lots of matchup knowledge to perform well vs one, not great for sheik.

punkonjunk

Smash Cadet
NNID
punkonjunk
3DS FC
3480-2775-5641
Switch FC
Sw-7819-1079-8971
I secondary/co-main corrin, who covers a ton of my bad matchups with BJ. My biggest problems with BJ are getting crushed by faster or very rangy, disjointed characters like link, fox, diddy, cloud, etc. The massive range and similar frame data/feel really clicked into place for me when I picked up corrin.

And, bonus, side-b spam is natural for both characters. BJ has more options, but corrin has ridiculously dangerous tipper and crazy range and mobility out of it.

Top Bottom