• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WHOBO 5 - Melee October 19-20th (M2K Confirmed), 2013 - October 19th, 2013 - Houston, Tx

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace

Venue name: Zuma Fun Center (South)​
Address: 6767 Southwest Freeway, Houston, Tx 77074​
Phone number: 713.981.7888​

October 19 (Saturday) 2013:​
Venue opens at 10am and will start the events at 12 noon. If you are late you will be DQed (No Exceptions) so be on time.​
(Times)​
1vs1 - 12 noon​
2vs2 - 1:00 pm​
1vs1 Low Tier - 2:00 pm​
If everyone wants to add more tournaments I will be open to this like crew battles for example.​
October 20 (Sunday) 2013:​
Venue opens at 11am and will start Top 8 at 12 noon. If you are late you will be DQed (No Exceptions) so be on time.​
Top 8 for all games including Brawl/Melee/Project M/64!​
*All pricing info (venue and event fees) can be found at http://airbrushking.net/tournaments/whobo5 and please remember to purchase everything (venue fee/events) in ONE purchase. Doing this will ensure you are entered into everything that you requested as well as make things easier on my end. Also, venue fee will increase every 30 days so please register asap. If you have any questions/comments or issues with registering, please email Info@AirbrushKing.net and post in this thread.​
(1st 5 people to Pre-Register for Project M or Melee will receive a FREE Whobo 5 Melee Poster)
Payout for Melee 1vs1​
1st=48% of normal pot​
2nd=25% of normal pot​
3rd=11% of normal pot​
4th=8% of normal pot​
5th(x2)=4% of normal pot​
Payout for Melee 2vs2​
1st=45% of normal pot​
2nd=25% of normal pot​
3rd=15% of normal pot​
4th=10% of normal pot​
5th(x2)=2.5% of normal pot​
We are going to be using the Apex Ruleset: http://www.apex-series.com/rules/melee/ and Wobbling is legal!​
The speed of any tournament is largely dependent on the total amount of setups it possesses. I need 10 or more FULL set-ups (wii/ssbm/tv) in order to get this event done on time. When the tournament starts, there will be ZERO friendlies/MMs so the more fullset-ups you bring, the faster we will get these events done and the more time we will have for MM/friendlies.​
FREE DRINK COUPONS FOR BRINGING A FULL SETUP
This is a 1st come 1st serve so if you bring a Full Setup Tv/Game/Console you will receive a FREE drink coupon!
20 Coupons for Brawl / 10 Coupons for Project M / 10 Coupons for Melee
Hotel Address: 6687 Southwest Freeway, Houston, Tx 77074​
Phone number: (713) 776-2633​
Rate: 89.99$ a night with mentioning Group Code: WB5​
Important Note: Cash will not be accepted as a form of payment to book your hotel room. Everything must be done through credit cards only (Preferably in advance). When calling to reserve your room you need to mention Group Code: WB5 and the following dates have been reserved: Oct 18, 19, 20 for you to choose from. This is a 1st come 1st serve so book your hotel now before this special rate sells out!​
Reserve your room online by clicking the link below:​
(AMENITIES AND PERKS)
FREE Complementary high speed internet and hot breakfast offered daily without any additional charges.​
Option to earn IGH rewards points or frequent flyer airline miles. For more information ask guest services for more details!​
(Other Hotel Options)​
ALT OPTION 1: Make posts in this thread and Houston Melee FB group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/223986011009934 so players can probably house you.​
ALT OPTION 2: Go to http://www.hotels.com and type in the address to WHOBO 5 and it will find you all the hotels(from dirt cheap to mega expensive) in a 20 mile radius of the WHOBO 5 venue.​
ALT OPTION 3: Find out who is staying in a hotel and offer to help pay for some of the cost. By doing that, you get housing AND its cheaper for everybody involved. I highly recommend this.​
ALT OPTION 4: http://www.couchsurfing.org/ this site allows you to find free housing from people all around the usa(in this case, you want houston ). However, you will not know who the person is untill you arrive at their house(you can call them ahead of time if u need to). There have been several smashers who done this and reported back saying it was an AWESOME experience. Its 99.99% safe but take caution just in case.​
If you have any questions, comments, issues with registration post in the thread or pm me. Lets get HYPE and Ill see you all there!​

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
This looks awesome, I'll definitely go if I can. I think you should use the apex ruleset instead of my old ruleset for now, except with wobbling legal.

rustyw

Smash Cadet
I'd be down for a 64 tournament. I know others in Austin would be, too...

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
sweet. make sure to specify that wobbling is legal though
Got it! Looking forward to seeing the old melee crew there...

I'd be down for a 64 tournament. I know others in Austin would be, too...

Announcement #3: Smash 64 has officially been added as casuals and if enough interest a tournament will happen on the spot. The entry fee for singles will be $10 and doubles will be $5 each person. There will 3 medals given out to 1st place champions only, 1 for 1st place singles and 2 for 1st place doubles. For everyone thats entering for 64 needs to buy Venue Fee online and in the notes section mention that you are attending for smash 64, your gamertag, and what tournaments you are entering Singles, Doubles or both. If a tournament happens the entry fees will be collected once you receive your wristband at the door. Visit http://airbrushking.net/tournaments/whobo5 for Online Venue and Game Registration!

Holiday Inn Hotel Reservations: The group rate will be $89.99 a night and there will be 2 options to booking your room either by Phone or Online. Check below for options!

Option 1 (Phone): Call (713) 776-2633 and mention Group Code: WB5. Cash will not be accepted as a form of payment to book your hotel room. Everything must be done through credit cards only (Preferably in advance). The following dates have been reserved: Oct 18, 19, 20 for you to choose from. This is a 1st come 1st serve so book your hotel now before this special rate sells out!

Option 2 (Online): http://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/houston/housf/hoteldetail?groupCode=wb5

Frisbie

Smash Journeyman
DeAngelo, didn't you say something about Hax wanting to go to this? If you got word on whether he is coming or not, that would greatly increase the hype for this

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
what's the reason for mdsr over standard?
What do you mean?

DeAngelo, didn't you say something about Hax wanting to go to this? If you got word on whether he is coming or not, that would greatly increase the hype for this

I just pmed him and once he pm's me back ill let everyone know or just tell him to post that he is coming in the thread!

WaterlessFishie

Smash Journeyman
The only difference between the two rulesets you posted was in the first you used standard DSR and now you're using MDSR. Why the change? I guess it's more of a question for Frisbie since he seemed to decide the ruleset lol.

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
The only difference between the two rulesets you posted was in the first you used standard DSR and now you're using MDSR. Why the change? I guess it's more of a question for Frisbie since he seemed to decide the ruleset lol.
Frisbie could answer that question better than I can since he decided the ruleset!

Sidenote: Went to Zuma to hang the Whobo 5 poster in the window and to give them flyers to hand out to every customer that comes thru the door. 3 months to go and its showtime!

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
Whobo 5 Melee Medals Announcement: With this being the last Whobo to end the series we want to go all out so here are the 1st place Melee Champion Medals to be awarded to Singles and Doubles so a total of 3 medals will be given out. We are thinking about doing a 3 day event next year with your support if the turnout is good for melee this year so ill give more details about it soon. Venue fee increases August 1st so Pre-Register now at www.airbrushking.net/tournaments/whobo5 and more announcements are on the way so stay tuned!

Dashyoshi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Fluttershy230
3DS FC
2578-4278-5682
I'm hoping I to get to go with my friend TiGGer so i can put my Yoshi up to the test

D

Deleted member

I don't know if I can afford to make a 4 hour drive down to Houston, and it would cost more money to stay at a hotel but I'm hoping I can making enough money by October in order to go, but if I do, you'll see me there.

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
Definately joining. Need to get good, and the only practice I get is against my brother who's a pretty damn good Marth when he takes it seriously, but 90% of the time isn't. Need more exp to level up

Dashyoshi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Fluttershy230
3DS FC
2578-4278-5682
Definately joining. Need to get good, and the only practice I get is against my brother who's a pretty damn good Marth when he takes it seriously, but 90% of the time isn't. Need more exp to level up
Yeah same here

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
We are going to need setups so make sure you bring a full setup if you can. I would like to run this tournament quickly!

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
We are going to need setups so make sure you bring a full setup if you can. I would like to run this tournament quickly!
I could bring a wii with a copy of Melee and and SD card with P:M on it. I couldn't get a TV though. Also, how many of those Melee posters will be available if you are selling them? They look awesome and I really want one.

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
I could bring a wii with a copy of Melee and and SD card with P:M on it. I couldn't get a TV though. Also, how many of those Melee posters will be available if you are selling them? They look awesome and I really want one.

Im going to be bringing a few tv's so your set will be much appreciated. It will be needed and ill have a few posters with me so when you get your wristband just let me know you want one. Are you coming solo or with some people?

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
Im going to be bringing a few tv's so your set will be much appreciated. It will be needed and ill have a few posters with me so when you get your wristband just let me know you want one. Are you coming solo or with some people?
Might be coming with my brother, maybe

Ezzee

Smash Apprentice
My brother decide not to come. Oh well, might decide to sign up for the brawl tourney too. Not sure though.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
I'm from the San Antonio smash scene and just moved to the Houston area...what thread is good for newcomers like me

Airbrush_King

Smash Ace
Countdown to Whobo 5 begins NOW! Oct 9 is the last day of online venue and pre-registration so if you haven't done so do it asap. Me and Xyro will be making a trip to the venue next week to setup up early so everything is organized. Looking forward to seeing everyone Oct 19-20...

Top Bottom