• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who ya Gonna Call? Luigi! - A Complete Guide

Who ya Gonna Call? Luigi! - A Complete Guide

Drybones08

Smash Rookie
NNID
Drybones08
Drybones08 submitted a new guide:

Who ya Gonna Call? Luigi! - A Complete Guide - For Competitive and Casual Play!

*Guide and all values applicable as of 3DS version 1.0.4*

Introduction:

This is Luigi. He is a Mario clone.
Wait, no he's not!!!! He's totally different.

For starters, he watches his weight and actually grooms his mustache. But you're not reading this guide to learn the beauty of Luigi. You're reading this guide to learn...
Read more about this guide...

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Good first post!

Although I would argue some of the ratings on there are a bit too high or low [D throw being a 2, his best throw and possibly move by while his f and b through are 3. Nair and dair being rated lower than uair and fair, which I feel the former are better for combo setting and spikes respectively. I think missile and fireball are more 2 or 1.5 myself]

I like your presentation of different strategies for Luigi playstyles. I think the combo section can use more simplified laid out move schematics. Also the combos could utilize more Dair and D throws.

All in all, not a bad little guide. Needs a bit brushing up, but it's pretty good.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Very well written, but I agree with Yonder that some of his moves (d-throw being the best example, it should be 3 seriously it's great and is his best throw) should be rated diiferently. You may also want to mention the d-throw to up-b setup, as that is a very reliable setup that Luigi has access to.

Nonetheless, it's a great guide and very useful!

an1bal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anibalt
3DS FC
0018-2664-8234
Dthrow is way underrated. you can combo into somany things!

Drybones08

Smash Rookie
NNID
Drybones08
Okay guys, so I experimented with the Down Throw a bit and decided to ramp it up! Thank you so much for the tips! I'll edit it posthaste.

EDIT:

I changed it, and added you all to the special thanks section at the end. You guys drove me to post this first patch.

Last edited:

Donyoku

Greed
I love the guide post, it will be helpful when new people are interested in playing Luigi. I think you should change the thread name though since we have a Luigi Guide already with combos and damages percentages. I think your post is more of an intro into the character and the pros and cons, while the other Guide is more of an numbers type guide. I guess there both guides in there own ways, I think your guide is great and will definitely help gain more Luigi mains. Only other thing is make sure most of the Luigi community agrees with your claims of course and it will probably be stickied to the Luigi Threads once its agreed upon. Good Luck and great job dude.

Donyoku

Greed
Maybe I'm dumb, but I don't see a Luigi guide for SSB Wii U/3DS. Am I mistaken?
I hope you didn't take what a said as an offensive or anything. I really didn't want it to come out that way. And here is the link, like I said it isn't the same type of guide they're touch on different points. I was just saying to cut down on confusion it could help for them to have different titles instead of both using guide. But my bad if it sounded offensive.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Maybe I'm dumb, but I don't see a Luigi guide for SSB Wii U/3DS. Am I mistaken?
It's not an actual guide on the Guides section, which is probably why you didn't see it. You're not dumb.

Donyoku

Greed
I took no offense, I just felt a little dumbfounded for awhile. But, this guy wrote something really good. Thanks for the link!
Ok cool, but good work none the less! And of course you aren't stupid!

Last edited:

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
@ Drybones08 Drybones08 Went through your guide again and remembered how excellent it is.

One thing you may want to change is how you said his N-air has good sideways knockback, when in fact it has good vertical knockback. You will probably want to detail that it can KO an opponent who is up high near the top blast line at kill percentages.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Don't forget to add a bunch of his BnB combos from Dthrow. A lot of them can be altered and freestyled but here's a handful of the ones I use:

Dthrow-->Fair-->Fair
Dthrow-->Fair-->Uair
Dthrow-->Fair-->Nair
Dthrow-->Rising Cyclone
Dthrow-->Up B (I believe your guide talked about waiting for them to hit the ground but you can jump up and Up B them)
Dthrow-->Dair (tight timing but possible. Can get an early kill if you do it by the edge and hit the meteor sweetspot)
Dthrow-->Fair-->Nair-->Utilt x3-->any aerial (the Utilts after the Nair aren't guaranteed. It depends on what the opponent does. Also you might not get 3 depending on percentage. Utilts can be subbed for one Usmash. This combo is also possible with Uair instead on Nair)

Last edited:

Drybones08

Smash Rookie
NNID
Drybones08
Thank you very much guys, I added Greenflame's correction. I'm adding the stuff STiCKY suggested tomorrow. Also adding you to the special thanks.

Last edited:

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Thank you very much guys, I added Greenflame's correction. I'm adding the stuff STiCKY suggested tomorrow. Also adding you to the special thanks.
I just want to say I'm also making my own guide. It's not supposed to rival your guide or anything, it's just to share my own personal knowledge and generally just give it a shot. Your guide is great, by the way!

Drybones08

Smash Rookie
NNID
Drybones08
The more Luigi the merrier! Welcome to the guidemaster's club!

Feel free to use anything you want from my guide. I'll even post a link to yours in mine if ya want.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
The more Luigi the merrier! Welcome to the guidemaster's club!

Feel free to use anything you want from my guide. I'll even post a link to yours in mine if ya want.
I'll likely link your guide in mine as well, yours is actually really good.

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
Nice guide. I do feel you give sideb too much credit though. Missle is both a lot slower and does not travel as far as previous games. Because of that it can be pretty easy to edgeguard Luigi when someone sees him charging missle offstage. Along with decreased height from jumping cyclone (and extremely difficult jumpless cyclone for little rise) Luigi's recovery is pretty lackluster.

I say consider making uthrow a 1 rating. Any situation you could uthrow, dthrow is much more rewarding in every way.

Last edited:

Drybones08

Smash Rookie
NNID
Drybones08
Hey Sticky, do you mind if I just edit what you typed there but keep it generally the same and just add it to the guide? I'll put you at the TOP of the special thanks! :D

And Thunder, mulling over that you're right. Changing it now.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Hey Sticky, do you mind if I just edit what you typed there but keep it generally the same and just add it to the guide? I'll put you at the TOP of the special thanks! :D

And Thunder, mulling over that you're right. Changing it now.
Yeah no problem! Just happy to help out.

Drybones08

Smash Rookie
NNID
Drybones08
Hello everyone,

I finally updated the guide! I added quite a bit of new stuff, updated the combat values to reflect the current version, and did a bunch of cleaning up.

If anyone is still interested, let me know what you think. If there are suggestions here which I have not addressed, I'm currently editing them in.

Thanks for sticking with me everyone!

- Drybones08

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Really nice! If someone asked me for a good Smash 4 Luigi guide, I'd honestly point them to this one and not even my own. Mine isn't finished - I should really get around to that.

Drybones08

Smash Rookie
NNID
Drybones08
Wow, that means a lot! You're an excellent sport.

I've been keeping tabs on your guide, by the way. It's a much-welcomed addition to the kingdom of Luigi guides. It has some information that I overlooked! Also, some areas of yours are more extensive than those of my own.

I'm waiting until it's done to review it.

Perhaps we can collaborate on something, sometime. Wonderful work, honestly!

PS- EDIT: I thought about it, and used this color text to point out your guide within my own! You deserve it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom