• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who would you want as a 3rd playable character?

Maikou

Smash Ace
Where was all of this Carrie support before?
Well, the N64 Castlevania games seem to be kind of obscure compared to the rest of the franchise. Plus, the protagonists of the games don't have as much uniqueness in terms of moveset potential as a lot of other Castlevania Protagonists do. They've all only got two basic attacks, and their sub-weapons are the same as every Belmont's. (The axes, the Holy Water, daggers, Crosserangs, etc.)

That said, I support Carrie and Cornell because they both have unique aspects. Carrie wields a pair of ring-shaped blades alongside her magic, and Cornell's not only appeared in Castlevania Judgement, but also was apparently designed as a "close-range martial arts character", so besides his claws and the odd claw beams he can use in Legacy of Darkness, he's not hard to make up moves for. Carrie's a bit more difficult to do because she's 12 and only uses a simple homing shot as her magic attack, but she has potential and it'd be cool to have an explicitly pre-teen girl slaying gods in Smash.

Most of Smash's kid characters are boys, and Pichu's gender is ambiguous. The Ice Climbers and female Villagers might count, but they also might not, it's hard to tell how old they are. I think the female Pokemon Trainer/Leaf is the only explicitly pre-teen girl on the roster, and she hangs out in the background like the male/Red while she directs her Pokemon.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Carrie's a bit more difficult to do because she's 12 and only uses a simple homing shot as her magic
Carrie Fernandez confirmed Ness echo.
Speaking seriously, I'm a huge nerd regarding everything CV 64 / LoD related and while Carrie wouldn't be my first pick for that game, I still like spellcaster archetypes, and I'm sure is Carrie ever get in, she would have some of sypha's moved anyways (after all, Fernandez seems to be a translation of Belnades) Maybe is the color palette, but I also like a lot her CV 64 design (the white and pink one for LoD, not so much) But yeah, certainly she's not happening...

So that's why I would find her interesting even if like 4 people ever "gets" her...

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Yeah i’m a big Aria/Dawn of Sorrow nerd, so the answer is Soma of course, he could use all kinds of weapons, and the soul system can make him one of the most unique characters.

Peeton

Smash Journeyman
NNID
starwolfe
I would LOVE Albus as the third character! Sure, Shanoa would represent Ecclesia better but Albus is just too cool! I’d love to play as the actual Albus and not the weird colored model that you see in game

Apollo500

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna say Shanoa. I think she'd be a lot of fun to play, and there are any number of routes they could take with her moveset. Just so long as Nitesco's one of them ;)

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Loving the amount of Shanoa and Soma love in this thread. Either would be a blast. Soma could copy abilities Kirby-style and Shanoa is just a cool character with one of my favorite games in the series.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Yeah both Shanoa and Soma are great characters, i hope there's at least trophies of them in the game, and don't forget Johnatan and Charlotte.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Alucard is my first choice. SOTN is where I first got into the series and Alucard has remained as one of my favorite characters of all time.

although if I was gonna pick anyone else I'd say Maria Renard. although that would make for quite the obnoxious character xD imagine megaman pellets but they are mini boomerang style attacks.

Etikx

Smash Rookie
Can't be Alucard = He's an assist trophy (Like RIP Waluigi) and a Primary Spirits
Can't be Dracula / Soma / Trevor / Charlotte / Gabriel / Jonathan / Juste / Leon / Maria / Nathan / Reinhardt / Shanoa = They are Primary Spirits
Can't be Hector = He's an assist Spirit
Can't be Carmilla / Shaft / Hugh / Yoko / Julius = They are Unclassified Spirits

Logically,
Can't be Albus from Castlevania : Order of Ecclesia, since Shanoa can't
Can't be Morris Baldwin from Castlevania : Circle of the moon, since Nathan can't
Can't be Gilles de Rais & Charles Vincent from Castlevania 64, Since Reinhardt can't
Can't be John Morris / Eric Lecarde/ Stella & Lorette from Castlevania : Bloodlines, since Jonathan and Charlotte can't
Can't be Isaac from the Netflix Serie, since Trevor and Hector can't

That sadly only leave :
Can be Christopher Belmont from Castlevania II : Belmont's Revenge
Can be Sonia Belmont from Castlevania Legends

I hoped Shaft for the counter vilain part of the already playable caracter but NOPE

Last edited:

Green Cumulon

Smash Rookie
Julius as an echo but if it could be a totally new character move set, Eric Lecarde would be cool and we don't have a spear user yet.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
Can't be Alucard = He's an assist trophy (Like RIP Waluigi) and a Primary Spirits
Can't be Dracula / Soma / Trevor / Charlotte / Gabriel / Jonathan / Juste / Leon / Maria / Nathan / Reinhardt / Shanoa = They are Primary Spirits
Can't be Carmilla / Shaft / Hugh / Yoko / Julius = They are Unclassified Spirits

Logically,
Can't be Morris Baldwin from Castlevania : Circle of the moon, since Nathan can't
Can't be Gilles de Rais & Charles Vincent from Castlevania 64, Since Reinhardt can't
Can't be John Morris / Eric Lecarde/ Stella & Lorette from Castlevania : Bloodlines, since Jonathan and Charlotte can't

That sadly only leave :

I hoped Shaft for the counter vilain part of the already playable caracter but NOPE
I don't think Spirits were made with DLC in mind.

That being said, I've played four Castlevanias since the characters were announced (I, IV, Lament of Innocence, and III), and I probably enjoyed Lament of Innocence the most, so my vote is for Leon. He could be a replacement echo for Richter in the next game, in the same vein as Lucina. Since he never had the chain whip, he could just have a whip that does the same damage across its length, unlike Simon and Richter's (which I've heard does more damage at the tip).

pinguinocsm

Smash Rookie
I would love Astarte to make it, the goddess boss from Portrait of Ruin.
Forward Smash: attacks with her stick, with additional wind when charged.
Neutral B: Temptation, causing damage with no knockback to female characters, stunning male characters if charged (something like corrin neutral B). Shooting hearts like Palutena's Autoreticle, no hard to evade.
Side B: attacks with her veil, reflecting projectiles and stunning, like mewtwo side B, but with more range; also works as counter
Up B: launchs her green magic things while jumping, something like Robyn
Down B: summon a random mummy
Final Smash: traps closes foes into a ancient stone wall, then breaks it. Just like her death.
One always can dream.

I support either Dracula, Soma, Shanoa and Jonathan+Charlotte, with the latter ones being my favorites, fighting like Pokemon Trainer with the possibility of battle as a duo like Ice climbers.
Another totally improbable duo that i would love to play as: The vampire sisters Stella and Loretta. They could be always together on stage, but only one of them takes damage, as the "active" fighter while the other being like in a "ghost" state following her sister. Both of them have some nice floats seconds in any direction as second jump for recovery, so their up B is only for attacks.
Stella:
Forward smash: secret furios wave, ranged when charged
Neutral B: hurricane, projectile
Side B: crescent moon, slashes and set the crescent moon, that goes after foes
Up B: a charged attack, loretta creates a growing ice blade that then is used by stella to crash foes (like roy neutral b).
Down B: "Ready sister!" Changes active role
Loretta:
Forward smash: charges a blizzard shot.
Neutral B: aimed ice shots
Side B: ice lions or wolfs or whatever she shots.
Up b: drops blades of ice from a distance above her, that can be directed horizontally, at cost of her movility.
Down B: "sister!" Changes active role
Final smash: "please observe", while summoning a blizzard, loretta creates a huge ice block that is then violently slashed by stella.

Last edited:

astralorange

Smash Rookie
I'm sure I'm in the very tiny minority but I'd pick Cornell. A few reasons for this... 1. he was on a Nintendo system (Legacy of Darkness on N64). I know these games are very maligned with the CV community (although I love them), but Cornell being a werewolf able to transition to human/werewolf form would make for some really interesting gameplay. Either a Down B that transforms betwene forms with slightly different moves, or perhaps a build-up meter like Little Mac and Cloud have for their KO punch / limit break that transforms him temporarily to werewolf increasing his size and power for a short time. Or even use it as a final smash where he transforms, does one big move then transforms back though I feel like that would be a wasted opportunity.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The third Castlevania character would have to be Alucard.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
as much as i would love the whole castlevania judgement cast and more (soma in smash) I am honestly very happy for what we got and certainly not expecting anything more...

that being said.... Alucard is totally smash material... the guy is
A-Iconic
B-Genre Defining
C-Nostalgia AF
D-Beloved by Sakurai
E-Still relevant
F-His base game can be easily emulated in a smash moveset
G-Have been already considered for smash

I still do agree that Belmonts are a better first rep (and i love em)

That being Said, Dracula is also a very big candidate (although for now he works pretty well as a boss (as a ridely supported i hate hearing that words coming from my mouth)

And Soma and Shanoa while more niche, have the adventage of being in 2 amazing games and being interesting characters overall. (Soma also can kinda play the Dracula card i guess)

Logically,

That sadly only leave :

while I apreciate that you used some logic to say stuff like morris baldwin wont go over nathan and the like... do you really think that if we are getting a whole new character would be sonia belmont because alucard, soma and shanoa are ATs/Spirits?

is like saying, lets add Booster instead of Geno because Geno is already an spirit DX (if you are asking who the hell is booster, yeah.. thats kinda my point)

BTW, CASTLEVANIA COLLECTION CONFIRMED...

Friggin finally!

i wonder if they are putting psx games on that collection?

Castlevania, Castlevania III, Super Castlevania IV, Castlevania adventure II, Rondo of Blood, Symphony of the night, Aria of sorrow and Order of ecclesia would be a SICK Compilation...

If rondo and symphony are not applicable due to non nintendo.. i would still love legacy of darkness and harmony of dissonnace instead :x

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
3, unless you're saying something about Soma's second game...
lets put it this way, Aria of sorrow and order of ecclessia are 2 very solid games that i would recommend even to non castlevania fans. dawn of sorrow? i would recommend it to people who enjoy the metroidvanias and don't care too much for the story (although Julius mode was great)

Decent fun,(and the soul sistem was better, although the sigil part can die) but wouldnt say exactly iconic.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
For Castlevania: For a 3rd I’d obviously pick Alucard. For a 4th I’d pick Trevor Belmont. (Yeah I know it’s unoriginal)

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Soma is definitely my pick. Give him the Claimh Solais for his smashes and souls for his specials and assorted normals. Fill in the gaps with punches and kicks.

There's one soul in particular that I think could make him really unique: Puppet Master. Map it to a special, probably down special since that's where all the quirky moves tend to go, and have it throw out a puppet for light damage. Use it again when the puppet is on the field to switch places with it. It would be used for both recovery mixups and setting up combos.

He could also use Medusa Head to hover in midair, similar to Peach/Daisy.

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
Soma is definitely my pick. Give him the Claimh Solais for his smashes and souls for his specials and assorted normals. Fill in the gaps with punches and kicks.

There's one soul in particular that I think could make him really unique: Puppet Master. Map it to a special, probably down special since that's where all the quirky moves tend to go, and have it throw out a puppet for light damage. Use it again when the puppet is on the field to switch places with it. It would be used for both recovery mixups and setting up combos.

He could also use Medusa Head to hover in midair, similar to Peach/Daisy.
I always likened Soma to Kirby: he gets the neutral B of whomever he defeats.

But yeah, Soma and Shanoa can be hard since they can do just about anything with the right souls.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
Honestly I think castlevania only needs simon really. Richter was just a nice bonus. But just for fun if there had to be another character, Alucard without a doubt

Top Bottom