• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who would you rather Ike replace? Roy or Marth?

JPW

Smash Ace
it probably was wise not to show the Zelgius pic, because you have pushed a certain theory for a spoiler.

Now people could be drawing all these different conclusions, even though I kind of felt it, I don't know if it's true or not. I've heard it around.

The Bombshells going to drop, the fact that you're linking these two together says a lot regarding possible spoilers.

anyway onto who prefer Ike replacing. Of course it's got to be Roy. Let the blue hairs go at it. Ike vs Marth.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Dude, a lot of people have not played FE 10 and many people wanted to find out for themselves who The Black Knight is. To me he wasn't as cool after I found out who he is and how he's basically a traitor to his own nation.

Zelgius is not cooler than Marth.

The Black Knight is not as important to the series as Marth and doesn't deserve a spot at the cost of his.

Marth has a very unique style in melee that you would be taking out without giving any proper replacement. Marth has the style of an elegant swordsman (I can kill you, but I'd rather not stain my sword with your tainted blood additude.) Ike doesn't really fit that role because, well, he's not feminene. That's actually a very popular style amongst Japanese Swordsmen you know. Battosai the Manslayer http://images.animelab.com/gallery/Rurouni_Kenshin/Images/kenshin329.jpg

Sesshomaru
http://naraku5.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/sesshomaru10.jpg

Sasuke
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/1UP_Badger/Naruto343_152.jpg

Byakuya
http://www.absoluteanime.com/bleach/byakuya.jpg.

Get the point. Some people actually like for their swordsmen to look feminen because it makes them look less hardend by the world. The look more sophisticated because they haven't had any need to build their muscles, but instead focused on their intelegence. That is the kind of style Marth has and that is the one that needs to be replaced before you even consider taking him out.

San Diego, CA (in Yo Mama's house!) PM ME IF U WAN
u sed that funny lol. but yea, wen i saw him fighting black knight for a few sec i was like "yee. alrite Ike!!"
EDIT: @ Sonic Wave. whoa dude. i respect yer point of view on marth, but do u actually think that those four really look feminine?
plus i think Marth is going to return. IMO, there will be 3 FE reps: Marth for speed, Ike for speed and power, and ???(maybe Roy)???-for power. (or maybe Ephraim! whoo)

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
he deserve it marth just a pansy girly boy he can't kill a deer

if u saw the anime u will see how he were sensative(spelling??)he is just the worst lord ever
and i hate him very much and ike he is the coolest fire emblem char and i did warn that thier is a spoiler ok!! plz i know fire emblem don't teach me !!!!

ike is in brawl marth not confirmed yet :p Muahahahahahaha(maniac lughting)

and zelguis cooler then marth

see ike is a mercebery and i hate every 1 u mentioned

do u know marth can't even hold ike is sword by his 2 hand

but ike hold by 1 hand and ike have a unique style to if u played por

u will know that every 1 amazed from ike is unique style he is to nice

spacialy "Aether" u don't know ike very well

RyuDragonKing

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't care about Marth, but he has better chances than Roy. Roy was thrown in to promote a game, whereas Marth is the first FE. I say if Roy goes, so does Marth.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Roy easily since Marth was the first FE lord and his sword is the series logo in SSB. Roy is just a clone.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
You know, I'd be able to take your post more seriously if you had some sort of grammatical accuracy in there.

That "pansy" killed a dragon bit*h. Seriously, muscles aren't important for a swordsman because he has...a sword.

Zelgius is a traitor and traitors aren't cool to me. He enjoys killing as a way to test his own skill and to me that's not cool.

How can you hate Sesshomaru?!! He's like the Badaass of all anime. Personal preferance.

Marth's sword has 3 wieght. Marth's con is 5. Marth can hold his sword just fine. Besides, he drove that thing through a dragon, twice, with immunity to magic, dragon slayers, and even other dragons.

I did play PoR. Ike does have a unique style, but he can't replace Marth because he has a unique style. You'd be getting rid of one of the most unique styles in melee. Marth was different from all the other swordsmen. He was elegant and sophisticated. He's obviously not worried about dying if he has time to consider his morals.

I know Ike better than you.
I know why the Black Knight betrayed Begnion to work with Ashnard. I know why Laguz have a magic growth. I know what Ike's growth rates are in both PoR and GoD. I know how much Aether Does in GoD. I know why Mist can wield the Aldonite. I know when the Black Knight joins your party. I know when Ike kills him.
There's a lot of things that I know about Ike. What I'm saying is he's not even remotely similar to Marth. I'm talking about why Marth is valuable and shouldn't be cut. I never said I don't like Ike. I said that I like Marth's style more than Ike's.

edit: Why aren't my spoiler tags working? Did I do something wrong?

GenG

Smash Lord
Please people, don't overflood the post with spoilers. Many of us haven't played GotD yet... mostly because it hasn't been released here.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
I know I'm practically alone in this, but I think Ike should replace both Roy AND Marth, and I don't think the Black Knight should be allowed in either. Why? Because they all essentially wield the exact same sword...really long straight sword held in one hand. It's a complete insult to the variety present in Fire Emblem. The "sword" archtype includes longswords, broadswords, greatswords, sabers, rapiers, katanas, knives, dual daggers, and whatever the hell that thing Hector can wield is supposed to be. Even if you limit it to just lords, you still have rapiers, longswords, greatswords, and katanas, if not more. And that's not even thinking about axes, lances, bows, or magic. To look at that and say "Let's just use that one three times" is a complete waste.

In my mind, Super Smash Bros. is a fighting game before it is a Fire Emblem game. To that end, characters should be chosen not only for their popularity and relevance to the series (though it is a valid concern) but also by how positively they impact the variety of combat styles available in the game. "Tough guy with a greatsword, lithe guy with a greatsword, and armored guy with a greatsword" is not as fun or interesting as "Guy with a greatsword, super-fast girl with a katana, and guy with a frigging huge axe", no matter how you slice it.

I believe that there will be three Fire Emblem characters. One will be Ike (obviously), one will be either Lyn or Hector (but not both, as ferociously as I may hope), and the third will be a fan favorite from the Japan-only portion of the series (probably Marth again (unfortunately) or this Sigurd guy I hear so much about).

GenG

Smash Lord
The sword doesn't matter. What matters is how they wield them. Link and Marth have a very similar sword, yet their style isn't similar at all. Marth is graceful, stylish, elegant, sophisticated, and Ike is bold, brute, a beast. Having Ike leaves Hector out of question, since both are axewielders in spirit. That would be redundant for sure. And the GBA characters aren't worthy enough...

Marth could still be the anti-Ike, and there's still the posibility of change.

To be honest, there are a LOT of characters that offer a slightly different flavor this time around. If you think they’re all going to be the same as they have been, it’ll be rough for you.

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
roy will be gone because he was promoting an upcoming game (FE6) and he was just marth but much worse.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
For the topic question, it seems that Ike is sort of replacing Roy as the power swordsman, seeing as Sakurai suggests that strength is his main attribute (the holding a two handed sword in one hand part). Put this with the fact that Roy's chances of returning weren't that great beforehand, it seems as though we won't be seeing Roy this time around, as his chances have been shot down a bit further.

As for Marth, we can't really tell until we see more of Ike in action. If it turns out that Ike has similar moves to Ike, then I feel it would hurt Marth's chances a bit (unless Sakurai has redone Marth and simply given parts of his old moveset to Ike). Though the fact that Sakurai says that one of his special moves is aether (I don't think he meant as a Final Smash, as he did clearly say 'special move') seems to suggest that Ike will most likely play differently to Marth at least as far as special moves are concerned, and it wouldn't be much of a stretch to think the rest of him plays differently too.

While I can't say I'm as confident as I used to be about Marth's return (largely because I thought he'd be the first FE character revealed, so Ike has made me a little concerned about him), it does seem that a lot of people are writing him off far too soon. He's still by far one of the most notable FE characters in the series, despite his Japan only status as far as is games are concerned.

Nergal

Smash Journeyman
I doub't Roy is in. Marth is the original Lord, so logic dictates that he stays.

Shine-Fu

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't discount all three, but people who are saying marth isn't coming back don't know their stuff. He was the first, the original. His appearance or lack thereof is irrellivent. He was very popular before, (that got him in in the first place) He single-handedly drove interest in the FE games over here, and was also popular in-game with players, enough for point two.

He won't get cut. Roy might due to the clone factor, but anyone thinking marth is gone is mental.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
I don't like either because they weren't in english FEs. This is not too biased, but Roy and Marth can go to hell. Ike and Ephraim are the new Roy and Marth.

EXE

Smash Cadet
I think that both should go away. Fire Emblem has new characters every game, so if we have someone stuck in SSB this guy won't let us play as the newer Lords.

SilverLight

Smash Apprentice
EXE has a good point, but the other valid point is that Marth is Fire Emblem iconia, in Japan anyway. Ike might get cut next Smash, for a new and more popular lord.

I think it's safe to say that Roy is of no significance (considering his advertising purpose for Fire Emblem 6 has been fulfilled in Melee).

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
EXE has a good point, but the other valid point is that Marth is Fire Emblem iconia, in Japan anyway. Ike might get cut next Smash, for a new and more popular lord.

I think it's safe to say that Roy is of no significance (considering his advertising purpose for Fire Emblem 6 has been fulfilled in Melee).
**** Marth. If he's an Icon for FE in Japan, he's ONLY an Icon for FE in Japan. Ike shouldn't be cut, PoD is awesome, like SS. Ephraim and Ike are the new Roy and Marth.

SilverLight

Smash Apprentice
Well Ike might not be around forever. I'm doubting that they'll keep including him. But he is essentially the North American Fire Emblem icon. Who knows, maybe by next Smash there will be no need to cut. Id est, there will be enough characters so that there may be Ike, Marth, and the next lord.

tstumo

Smash Journeyman
I want him to replace both. Marth and roy although I like roy dont serve any purpose returning. especially since Ike is now in Brawl.

Shuma

Smash Hero
I don't think Ephraim stand's a chance, the Black Knight has a bigger chance of getting in.

CPTNfalcon

Smash Apprentice
Ike newcomer, Roy gets a new moveset, Marth dies of cancer and "unfortunately" gets replaced by the Black Knight

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
I don't think Ephraim stand's a chance, the Black Knight has a bigger chance of getting in.
Ike newcomer, Roy gets a new moveset, Marth dies of cancer and "unfortunately" gets replaced by the Black Knight
Ephraim AND the BK should get in. The only reason not so many people like Ephraim is because he has no life enemy. I wonder if Laguz and the Undead will be in Adventure mode or Subspace Emissary. I feel all three should ake a stance.

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Performing aerial bombing raids on the Marth forum
They'll both be gone. Its probably going to be Ike and Titania (or another one of his unique allies) to represent the Fire Emblem series.

Seriously, it would be dumb if there were two blue-haired swordsmen. Ike already is much more creative than Marth is, and we haven't seen all of his moves yet!

Top Bottom