• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who would make a good secondary for Ryu

Plesioth

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheBlackWaltzKeo
I recently picked up Ryu are a month ago, and I want to know what characters do Ryu mains use to cover their bad MUs or to compliment their Ryu. I tend to have a hard time with zoners personally, so I'm considering picking up Pikachu. Would he cover those type of characters?

SonofCereal

Smash Rookie
If you ask some people, they will say that Ryu doesn't have any bad matchups. IMO, this is partially true. I think he definitely has some bad matchups, but none of them are unwinnable.

A lot of people have Cloud as their secondary for Ryu as Cloud
  1. Because Ryu sometimes has trouble with disjoint.
  2. Cloud doesn't have to worry about being camped because he forces approaches by charging limit.
  3. Very easy to pick up, which is good because an optimal Ryu requires a lot of time and practice.
I personally also have Fox as a secondary, but that's just personal preference. I think Pika would work well as a secondary because he has the speed to get past zoners.

Neutricity

Smash Apprentice
If you ask some people, they will say that Ryu doesn't have any bad matchups. IMO, this is partially true. I think he definitely has some bad matchups, but none of them are unwinnable.

A lot of people have Cloud as their secondary for Ryu as Cloud
  1. Because Ryu sometimes has trouble with disjoint.
  2. Cloud doesn't have to worry about being camped because he forces approaches by charging limit.
  3. Very easy to pick up, which is good because an optimal Ryu requires a lot of time and practice.
I personally also have Fox as a secondary, but that's just personal preference. I think Pika would work well as a secondary because he has the speed to get past zoners.
Are there a lot of Ryu/Cloud on you area?

TheSteveEngine

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheSteveEngine
3DS FC
3909-7548-2082
Cloud is really nice in my opinion because he's kind of like the antithesis to Ryu. He's a lot easier to use than Ryu, for starters, and has good disjoints which is good since I struggle against sword users.

CascadedVolcano

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4012-5046-9617
Ike and Captain Falcon are my other 2 characters besides Ryu since they all have fairly strong combo games. Captain Falcon is good since he has a far better grab game than Ryu and Ike is good since he has strong finishers all around. Cloud seems to be a popular choice and I agree with that. Those 3 are probably your best 3 options for secondaries. I'd say avoid Bayonetta since she has a far different combo game than Ryu.

TheGlove

Smash Cadet
If you want to play characters that are relatively easy and good against zoners the best options would probably be Mario and Fox who are both good zone breakers. Pikachu is good against most zoners as well, Including Rosalina, but he has issues killing so at higher levels you may find him harder to play if you do not put in enough time training with him.

Characters who have strong anti zoner attributes include Mewtwo, Lucas, and Rosalina.

goodgrief

Smash Rookie
someone that can take diddy kong.

So like, Cloud, pikachu, marth, diddy himself, villager, sonic, weegee, olimar, megaman, rosalina

Kid Alchemy

Smash Rookie
Honestly Ryu's worst matchup is Rosalina. It's the closest thing to his "unwinnable" matchup. Nearly all her hits a multi hit due to luma and her galaxy hitboxes so that beats focus attack. And she has the tools to keep Ryu from even landing a hit and has decent enough power to kill Ryu at a reasonable percent. That said, fox is a good secondary for Ryu. He can handle any matchups where the opponent is projectile heavy or is able to space Ryu out. I also use Luigi as a counter pick if my opponent is shield happy and isn't falling for strong ftilt since Luigi gets more off of grabs than Ryu.(Plus I have a second Shoryuken xd)

Orioxified

Smash Rookie
Honestly Ryu's worst matchup is Rosalina. It's the closest thing to his "unwinnable" matchup. Nearly all her hits a multi hit due to luma and her galaxy hitboxes so that beats focus attack. And she has the tools to keep Ryu from even landing a hit and has decent enough power to kill Ryu at a reasonable percent. That said, fox is a good secondary for Ryu. He can handle any matchups where the opponent is projectile heavy or is able to space Ryu out. I also use Luigi as a counter pick if my opponent is shield happy and isn't falling for strong ftilt since Luigi gets more off of grabs than Ryu.(Plus I have a second Shoryuken xd)
I heavily disagree, I believe Ryu/Rosalina is even at worst. Tatsumaki can almost always kill luma with a single hit. Most of Rosalinas moves are large and beat focus attack yes, but if you learn ryu's spacing with his aerials you can avoid her longer laggier moves and punish with a hard hitting aerial.

Top Bottom