• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who was the least wanted character in Smash history?

Who was the least wanted character added?

• Total voters

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Corrin. They were decided before their game even released, so it was literally impossible for anyone to want them in Smash.

Nintykid

Smash Apprentice
YEAH FOR THE NONE ANSWER!

My reasoning is easy. I kinda like all the characters introduced in Smash honestly and I don't feel like any of them are a wasted slot.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
YEAH FOR THE NONE ANSWER!

My reasoning is easy. I kinda like all the characters introduced in Smash honestly and I don't feel like any of them are a wasted slot.
You can still like a character but not necessarily want them before their release. I didn't want Wii Fit Trainer but I still like their inclusion in the game to this day.

My answer is probably Piranha Plant. I don't think anyone even really considered it an option, much less desired it.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
That's not the point. The point is a character like Captain Falcon never had the moves he displayed in SSB. Same with Zero Suit Samus. Even Ganondorf hardly represents his most basic abilities fans have seen. This means most (if not all) characters are Smash originals.
Sure, but that's not at all what makes Mr Game and Watch an original Smash character and has nothing to do with my argument. He is the equivalent of if they had a character named "Mr. Metroid" (which is even more specific because that's a game series rather than a system) who kinda looked like a generic Galactic Federation trooper that had an amalgamation of abilities from Samus, Space Pirates, Kraid, etc etc. That character would be none of those despite having all their moves, thus it is an OC. Samus, Link, Ganon, anyone else in the roster is not like that whatsoever.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
:ultroy: being one of the first advertisement characters added. :ulticeclimbers: and :ultgnw: are close seconds as the whole off the grid pick or retro pick weren't known patterns coming along either, but some people may of thought about them at some point. Everyone after Melee probably got attention from some people pretty much.

Also...

Being in the Original game kind of makes her gets a free pass as the game wasn't huge or have the raging fan base it has now.
Jigglypuff

None of these characters belong on here and should not have any votes cause it's atrocious. All 4 of these had somewhat active fan bases and it's beyond ridiculous to think they are anywhere close to the others.
Isabelle
Bayonetta
Incineroar
Joker

Arrei

Smash Lord
Sure, but that's not at all what makes Mr Game and Watch an original Smash character and has nothing to do with my argument. He is the equivalent of if they had a character named "Mr. Metroid" (which is even more specific because that's a game series rather than a system) who kinda looked like a generic Galactic Federation trooper that had an amalgamation of abilities from Samus, Space Pirates, Kraid, etc etc. That character would be none of those despite having all their moves, thus it is an OC. Samus, Link, Ganon, anyone else in the roster is not like that whatsoever.
I think people aren't quite getting the distinction that you're describing GW as a wholly new character who didn't exist before Smash while all the characters everyone else keeps bringing up are just original depictions of an existing character (or a character still in development in cases like Roy). There's a massive difference between the two concepts when we're talking about how possible it is to "want" someone who didn't even exist until they suddenly did.

However, on that topic, is having zero want truly automatically the "least wanted"? If there was a character who everyone vehemently did NOT want, someone somehow universally reviled, wouldn't that send their "want" level down into the negatives past zero?

In that interpretation, I would have to wonder if hotly-contested characters like Chrom wouldn't take the title of least wanted. Despite being highly requested by some, many were also vocal about things like Smash's glut of anime swordfighters, of Fire Emblem reps, of Marth echoes, of Awakening's worth as a game... The same could apply to several other characters, but I think "least wanted" needs to factor in whether or not a character had a vocal opposition to their inclusion.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
None of the above. I welcome all characters to Smash whether I care about said character or not.

VillainFan42

Smash Cadet
NNID
VillainFan42
3DS FC
4511-1345-7864
Huh, I looked at the poll up above and I didn’t see Chrom as an option.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Khao Khao
That's irrelevant. You still have other Smash originals, just created differently. I'm not sure why you mentioned Mario.

Sudz Sudz I'm not even talking about a character like "Mr. Metroid". The fact is plenty of characters have abilities exclusive to Smash. To deny this is to ignore what's there.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Sudz Sudz I'm not even talking about a character like "Mr. Metroid". The fact is plenty of characters have abilities exclusive to Smash. To deny this is to ignore what's there.
So you're not addressing the topic whatsoever. Got it.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Counter argument.

Chrom was very wanted/expected in Smash 4 times due to Awakening in general and the Gematsu leak. Chrom sentiment built up after he didn't get his chance during Smash 4.
People wanted Chrom. No one wanted a Marth clone.

Shroob

Sup?
Funny. I 'gotcha.
Real talk tho, I don't see the issue here.

We pretty much knew even back in Smash 4 that Chrom would be a hybrid of Marth and Ike, which Sakurai more or less admitted to that being the reason he didn't even make it into 4 in the first place.

I feel like Chrom's current moveset is the de-facto way to represent Chrom. He's a descendant of Marth that uses Aether. How 'else' could you do him?

By all intents and purposes, Chrom is right up there with Ken as arguably one of the best implemented Echo Fighters as to how they'd be conceptualized in Smash.

Last edited:

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
Dark Pit - at least the other echoes/'unwanted' characters aren't a literal colour scheme of an existing fighter.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Probably Corrin. A character from an unreleased game in most of the world in a game where people felt Fire Emblem was over-represented with enough clones and sword wielders. While Corrin's different, Corrin was still a bridge too far for many people at the time of the reveal.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
How can you want or not want a character that doesn't exist yet? That doesn't make any sense.
It makes complete sense why i wouldn't want a character that doesn't exist yet in Smash. Why would you want them when everyone would have preferred a character that they actually know. Like Wario or Dedede.
It's not that hard to get.

Aeronite's Kiseki

Smash Journeyman
I'll be honest and say either Dark Pit or even the Miis….I mean they could've gave him Pit's Brawl moveset and that'd be just fine, but a total clone is a no go...and I think in the past I've seen people dislike the idea of Miis making the cut...I assume by next game they will be gone for reasons.

VillainFan42

Smash Cadet
NNID
VillainFan42
3DS FC
4511-1345-7864

We pretty much knew even back in Smash 4 that Chrom would be a hybrid of Marth and Ike, which Sakurai more or less admitted to that being the reason he didn't even make it into 4 in the first place.

I feel like Chrom's current moveset is the de-facto way to represent Chrom. He's a descendant of Marth that uses Aether. How 'else' could you do him?

By all intents and purposes, Chrom is right up there with Ken as arguably one of the best implemented Echo Fighters as to how they'd be conceptualized in Smash.
There are a couple reasons I didn’t want Chrom.
-I feel like Robin and Lucina are representation enough for Fire Emblem Awakening
-I personally have nothing against clones/Echo Fighters, but I draw the line at having a clone of a clone (Yeah, I know Roy was de-cloned but my point still stands)
-I don’t mind Fire Emblem having so many reps but now we have FOUR people with the exact same shade of blue hair. Three was already pushing it, but I give Lucina a pass because she wasn’t originally intended to be her own character, it just kinda happened.
-Also, this means that of the 7 Fire Emblem reps, three of them are from the same game. Granted, Awakening was insanely popular, but still.
-It feels like he was an afterthought even by Echo Fighter standards, since they didn’t even bother to change Robin’s final smash.
-I never really found Chrom all that compelling in his home game.

Yeah, I have my biases, but out of all the Ultimate newcomers, Chrom was literally the only one I wasn’t happy to see.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

The issue is that Awakening doesn't need three fighters, Fire Emblem already had more than enough fighters to begin with, if we were going to get another fighter they should have been more unique, Chrom's character is boring, we don't need another blue haired sword wielding Fire Emblem hero. They rushed Chrom in at the last second (most likely because Intelligent would have a fit if there wasn't a FE newcomer), he feels more like bad aftertaste after eating black licorice. He'd be better off in Robin's Final Smash and victory pose and an assist trophy at best. He's a clone of a clone, which sucks. There's no reason, in my opinion, why he should be in.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Roy and Mr. Game & Watch, they didn't even existed before Smash, I don't know what everyone is arguing.

I'll be honest and say either Dark Pit or even the Miis….I mean they could've gave him Pit's Brawl moveset and that'd be just fine, but a total clone is a no go...and I think in the past I've seen people dislike the idea of Miis making the cut...I assume by next game they will be gone for reasons.
Dark Pit isn't the only clone in the game. Daisy and Richter have even less differences.

Plus, Miis are important and they had people asking for them. This whole "echo chambers are complaining, so they'll be cut" thing never worked out in the past.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The issue is that Awakening doesn't need three fighters, Fire Emblem already had more than enough fighters to begin with, if we were going to get another fighter they should have been more unique, Chrom's character is boring, we don't need another blue haired sword wielding Fire Emblem hero. They rushed Chrom in at the last second (most likely because Intelligent would have a fit if there wasn't a FE newcomer), he feels more like bad aftertaste after eating black licorice. He'd be better off in Robin's Final Smash and victory pose and an assist trophy at best. He's a clone of a clone, which sucks. There's no reason, in my opinion, why he should be in.
He's in because he can get in without preventing other series' getting a character and he was requested by a lot of people. That's it.

You need to force your brain to its limits to not get why he's in after Sakurai spelled it out for you.
There are a couple reasons I didn’t want Chrom.
-I feel like Robin and Lucina are representation enough for Fire Emblem Awakening
-I personally have nothing against clones/Echo Fighters, but I draw the line at having a clone of a clone (Yeah, I know Roy was de-cloned but my point still stands)
-I don’t mind Fire Emblem having so many reps but now we have FOUR people with the exact same shade of blue hair. Three was already pushing it, but I give Lucina a pass because she wasn’t originally intended to be her own character, it just kinda happened.
-Also, this means that of the 7 Fire Emblem reps, three of them are from the same game. Granted, Awakening was insanely popular, but still.
-It feels like he was an afterthought even by Echo Fighter standards, since they didn’t even bother to change Robin’s final smash.
-I never really found Chrom all that compelling in his home game.

Yeah, I have my biases, but out of all the Ultimate newcomers, Chrom was literally the only one I wasn’t happy to see.
You are just saying why you didn't want Chrom, not why he wasn't wanted in general. I assume it's because he was indeed wanted and it's obvious and you are just salty about this.

Btw, let's see...it seems most people voted for :ultwiifittrainer: and :ultpiranha:. Well, if anyone needed more proof on Smash fanbase having no long-term memory...

Also, why Isabelle and Bayonetta are in the list but :ultzss: or :ultpokemontrainer: aren't? You guys even know what's requested means or is this just a salt poll?

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
He's in because he can get in without preventing other series' getting a character and he was requested by a lot of people. That's it.

You need to force your brain to its limits to not get why he's in after Sakurai spelled it out for you.
I'm not mad that he's in.

I'm mad that they put barely any effort into him. He deserved more.

I'd rather not have Chrom at all than have Chrom but he's another Marth clone :/

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm not mad that he's in.

I'm mad that they put barely any effort into him. He deserved more.

I'd rather not have Chrom at all than have Chrom but he's another Marth clone :/
  1. He wouldn't get more anyway
  2. He plays very differently from Roy, the character he's actually cloned from
  3. Just pretend he's not in the game. Some people wanted him regardless of his moveset

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
  1. He wouldn't get more anyway
  2. He plays very differently from Roy, the character he's actually cloned from
  3. Just pretend he's not in the game. Some people wanted him regardless of his moveset
  1. Yeah you're right about not getting more, but it's still lame.
  2. He's about as different from Roy as Lucina is from Marth. Different hitboxs and Ike's up B don't automatically separate the two. The animations and hitbox placements (where the sword hits, not how) are almost copy pasted.
  3. Pretending he's not in the game would only make things worse. I know some people wanted him in regardless but I'm not one of them. I wanted to get something out of his inclusion at the very least.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
I have, actually. You're just trying to narrow the definition of what a Smash original is.
??? The conversation was literally about Mr Game and Watch being an OC, you seem to think it has something to do with characters having movesets unique to smash which makes zero sense in the context of what was being said, which is that G&W even by name did not exist prior to his inclusion in Melee.

You either completely missed what the discussion was about, are trolling, or are grasping at straws as a coping mechanism to protect yourself from being wrong in a meaningless argument. Cringe, either way. Reread the thread and hopefully you can piece together what's going on, but I don't have anything else to add so if you don't get it from that then you're just gonna have to stay confused. Good luck.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
??? The conversation was literally about Mr Game and Watch being an OC, you seem to think it has something to do with characters having movesets unique to smash which makes zero sense in the context of what was being said, which is that G&W even by name did not exist prior to his inclusion in Melee.

You either completely missed what the discussion was about, are trolling, or are grasping at straws as a coping mechanism to protect yourself from being wrong in a meaningless argument. Cringe, either way. Reread the thread and hopefully you can piece together what's going on, but I don't have anything else to add so if you don't get it from that then you're just gonna have to stay confused. Good luck.
The thing is with G&W is that he never existed before Smash. At least Captain falcon, R.O.B., Ganondorf, etc. had some form of existence before they became fighters. Even if their movesets are totally made up, they had some affiliation with Nintendo. G&W, however, did not exist, period.

Top Bottom