• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who wants to build a Captain Falcon Edgeguard video?

thespymachine

Smash Ace
A couple of years ago, motbob posted some incredible Mew2King Edgeguard videos of Sheik and Marth.
These videos are incredible resources for people maining those characters to better understand the EG game.
Think about it: the brain can't help but build patterns on how to edgeguard with a certain character when it watches TWO HOURS straight of edgeguarding with that character.

I think we can do something similar with Falcon.

Initial Ideas
  1. Start with the Top 5 Falcons: Wizzrobe, S2J, n0ne, Gahtzu, and Gravy
  2. Search for vids of them playing against the most represented characters (from 2016-17, for now): Fox, Falco, Marth, Sheik, Peach, and Falcon (and Puff and Samus)
  3. Inspect each vid for edgeguards, and categorize them by Character and Stage
  4. Create a playlist of Captain Falcon Edgeguard videos: a video of all the edgeguards, a video for edgeguards against each specific character (maybe a Fox+Falco one too), and a video for each Character+Stage combination
Potential Plan of Action
  1. Gather a group of dedicated people to get clips together. We could get the clips together on here then get them in a Google Doc.
  2. Have each person search through a specific timeframe of a specific player. This is so people aren't looking through the same videos as others.
  3. Organize the videos accordingly. We can systemize this, require people to include: Character, Stage, and Player.
  4. Put clips together and make the videos. Profit?

I actually (partially) started a project like this by myself after I saw the motbob's Sheik vid, but saw right away how much time it would take for me to go through all the vids, and I didn't really have knowledge or software to put together a vid of that magnitude. And, now, I'm a full-time worker, full-time student, part-time TO with less and less time on my hands. So I wanted to share this idea. What do you guys think?

Edit: Decided to just restart my old project and just go through 2016 vids vs Spacies for now, using only vids on vods.co

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Xw061hBCL2X776gdfmPHLM13J3pktRdorC3BZ-UKoXE/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:

JustSomeKid

Smash Rookie
I really like your enthusiasm about bringing this to the table. But I can't help but feel that a compendium of every falcon edgeguard would lose its flavor after ~10-20 edgeguards. I think a better idea would be to categorize each edgeguard falcon has (should be under 20 for all characters, falcon sucks.) and provide 2-3 examples of them being used correctly/incorrectly and put them all in a 10 min-ish video. For example, if a fox is recovering from underneath final destination at a 70 degree angle and medium distance away, Wizzy here refreshes his invincibility and edgehop bairs into a pivot downward angled forward tilt to cover the high option. Something like this could definitely be helpful for new falcon mains.

Last edited:

thespymachine

Smash Ace
I really like your enthusiasm about bringing this to the table. But I can't help but feel that a compendium of every falcon edgeguard would lose its flavor after ~10-20 edgeguards. I think a better idea would be to categorize each edgeguard falcon has (should be under 20 for all characters, falcon sucks.) and provide 2-3 examples of them being used correctly/incorrectly and put them all in a 10 min-ish video. For example, if a fox is recovering from underneath final destination at a 70 degree angle and medium distance away, Wizzy here refreshes his invincibility and edgehop bairs into a pivot downward angled forward tilt to cover the high option. Something like this could definitely be helpful for new falcon mains.
I see where you're coming from. A more 'instructional' type of video would be best.
I would definitely put the work for that on someone else for sure, because there are many more Falcon players that are more skilled and knowledgeable of the game that could do a way better job and faster. And that's kind of the point of me wanting to do this: force myself (and others like me) to constantly think about the EG game and test and retest options in my mind. It's sort of the in-between of watching full sets to study and shadow-boxing/theory-crafting.

Hopefully someone can come along and do a better job.

G4n0nM4st3r

Smash Rookie
An edgeguarding video would be great, but we're getting ahead of ourselves here. We need footage of Falcons edgeguarding properly first, and so far, that is extremely rare.

S2J is more or less out of the discussion. Look at n0ne, Wizzy and the way Gahtzu uses stomp on stage to gimp sweet spot double jump attempts.

The Falcon community needs to get together and explore more ways of handling double jump sweetspots and things like space animal up B sweetspots. Falcons need to start getting OUT THERE.

If you wanna become good at edgeguarding, then just ALWAYS follow them off stage in friendlies. Eventually you'll stop SDing and start gimping.

Rachman

be water my friend
I've only done a few Wizzrobe videos so far, but going out there super deep to take out a starting up-B from a spacie is a major theme.
Honestly, just do Wizzy edgeguards vs spacies from the past year. I don't think he ever attends locals so most of the vods of him playing should be easy to find

GooseKhan

Smash Rookie
Falcons edgeguards are very reaction-oriented, once a character has exhausted certain options, they become more susceptible to certain edgeguards. The falcons I see taking most advantage of this aspect were Hax$ and n0ne, they were aggressive about edgeguards but still smart about it. (e.g everytime a spacie would exhaust their DJ, he would react with either a nair or knee). While n0ne experiments with generally unused options, like vs PPU at G3. I like it when falcons use the character's oddities at not only flashy moves but also unsuspecting options. My main point being , use falcon footage of falcons just kneeing their opponents at the right time because (though it may sound primitive, it's true) kneeing is probably the best option, and knowing when to do that is paramount. good luck on ur project dood.

Top Bottom