• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who still plays competitively?

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Wifi is definitely a great way to improve. I play almost exclusively on it at this point, since there's no nearby smash scene. :(

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
Is it bad I play the Basic Brawl with random despite the things that happen there? It has been a long time but I do know I run into competitive players there. Until I get out of Florida things should be better.

:phone:

Shurikan

Smash Apprentice
been pika since 64 but started to become more of a competitive pika a few months ago.

i say im at the middle stage of a high competitive lv.

my problem is the same as some others here...i play too agressively. i rush in too much even though i know deep down i need to become more patient.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
l;/ fgtbtbby5tebrvuj , mnbvbvtdbhbbnhygfhgfngfyngf6hbtfrfvnv3ceqqcqcqcav,iop,oytbvtrytbtbvbtbttg tg dtg dtg dtg dhg hhb ybybtbtg g gu bbbCCCCCCC

bxcccccccccccccccxl; k.lo'p'pp'[

.kk.kj.xszz'
]x

(this is a message to all of you from my baby cousin Addison. She's 7 months old. :p)

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
I'm sorry, when she was brought in I thought it was the social thread so I let her mess around.

Vee, you can add "Since" to this list, he's my roommate who also uses pikachu.
He's also actually willing to talk about stuff, so tell him to go to the HVC chat if you see him in the pony chat when you are planning something.

Volt_Storm_7

Smash Journeyman
been pika since 64 but started to become more of a competitive pika a few months ago.

i say im at the middle stage of a high competitive lv.

my problem is the same as some others here...i play too agressively. i rush in too much even though i know deep down i need to become more patient.
Now, I wouldn't say that. You can be aggressive, but you have to be smart about it. There are times when it is appropriate and times when it is not. Trust me, I learned the hard way through trial and error in the Japanese community. It's important. Being patient only gets you so far, the key to winning to being smart , focused, punishing, and knowing when to be aggressive and not.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
Alright, anyone want to try and start up the chat again? I'm up for some wifi friendlies if anyone's interested.

Cassio

Smash Master
Sorry I was occupied tonight. Gonna update this tomorrow and Ill be hanging out in the chat for for awhile, so stop by

xat.com/highvoltageclan

I think I might move things to skype eventually.

Cassio

Smash Master
People are on on and off throughout the day. I try to stay on the chat in the afternoons.

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Well, I guess i'll give it a shot.

I'm from the carribean ( St. maarten ) and fairly new Pikachu (about 1 week) main. Hoping to train as much as i can for a regional tourney in july. I choose pikachu because i just like pikachu but i'm seeing it's really tough playing pikachu.

As for strengths? I'm not sure what my strengths are at the moment.

But for my Weaknesses? I'm to impatient and aggressive, i tend to roll into the opponent alot, if i spot dodge i usually do it more than once and end up being punished. hoping to get any advice.

I'm not that familiar with the MU's

Thanks in advance for any tips.

The thread title got me thinking. Has anyone ever tried to not play competitively once you tried for a long time? Trying to revert back to a time when you knew nothing at all about competitive play is extremely difficult.

You could try switching to a different character. That will lower your abilities a bit. But the fundamentals feel ingrained. Positioning, various timings, and techniques are really hard to revert back from.

The point of me even considering this is because playing competitively can feel a bit bothersome at times. You run into conflict with people who are certainly worse than yourself from time to time and its no longer fun. Its really only the most fun when your among people who are about the same in abilities.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
It's pretty much impossible to have fun playing casuals once you've learned how to play competitively on any level. It's just way too easy.

It carries into other games too. Now no matter what I play, I automatically start analyzing the easiest way to win lol.

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
KayLo: Your avi is excellent.

Roller: Just stand there for a little bit. See what she does. Fairs are usually the thing to watch for. See what she does leading up to them, and before them. Then figure out where you can get in.
Then, make yourself really really hard to hit. If you can't hit her, at least she can't hit you.

Cassio

Smash Master
Ive heard at high level its even. Also I love casuals.

Anyways, I like xat a lot more but it just seems inconvenient because people pop in at different times, and I cant sit in front of my computer all the time and usually miss people :(. So yeah I think Im going to start a skype group to make things more convenient. Add me: cassio_of_the_stars or let me know your skype name.

Im still gonna try and set xat office hours for 6 PM PST on weekdays, so if youre around stop by even if Im not there for whatever reason. At least that way everyone tries to be on at once even if just for a bit.

Edit: also Im on the xat right now. http://www.xat.com/highvoltageclan

Scatz

Smash Champion
Scatz5 for me. I'm on almost all the time. I answer that much more often than I do Xat. That is, if I'm not playing Dragon Nest full screen =P

Roller

Smash Legend
Peach v ics is +1 peach, imo. esam is a top ics and still fears peach with them. He lost to vinnies peach with ics not too long ago.

But yeah, I have no idea who I want to use vs peach. I use ICs vs every other character now, but I may go back to pika for her. Or falco, since I have one of those now.

Only get to play Mikey at tourneys so I don't get much practice to experiment with.

But with pika, punishing fair start up is the way to go? With our own fair?

PZ

Smash Lord
Peach v ics is +1 peach, imo. esam is a top ics and still fears peach with them. He lost to vinnies peach with ics not too long ago.

But yeah, I have no idea who I want to use vs peach. I use ICs vs every other character now, but I may go back to pika for her. Or falco, since I have one of those now.

Only get to play Mikey at tourneys so I don't get much practice to experiment with.

But with pika, punishing fair start up is the way to go? With our own fair?
Depends on how they use the fair
Reatreating=no
For an approach=yes

Cassio

Smash Master
Pikachu destroys peaches that rely on fair for the MU. Fair, ftilt, and fsmash are all capable of beating it depending on the situation, you just have to be aware of the uses. My personal opinion is that peachs ftilt and smart use of dair (if they just space float dairs that shouldnt be beating you) are worse once the pika has a reasonable understanding of the MU.

Anyways, skype group is getting pretty big guys and theres several new pikas as well! Make sure to give me your skype name or add me: cassio_of_the_stars .

Top Bottom