• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who Should I Play?

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I recently dropped my top 3 characters due to poor results (Falco, Ganondorf and Samus) and now have 5 characters I am interested in playing (I would say I have moderate success with all of them). They are Pit, Yoshi, Duck Hunt, Donkey Kong and Pac-Man. Who should I play? (I enjoy playing all of them and am decent with all of them as well)

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
Well, it’s more of how you feel about the character and how the character feels to you, imo, rather than having one picked out for you. Your choices should match what you’re trying to look for in the game and what you want to do with the character. I picked Ganon as a main because I’m just evil and I always loved villains. His play style is on the cruel side, his attacks are strong and I prefer to play patient games, so I’m in no rush to really win. Play with my food, lol.

What’s your personality like?
What’s the personality of the character?
What’s your goal?
How do you want to approach your opponents?

I doubt everyone thinks like this, but I do and it’s helped. I tried out Ness, Lucas, Mario, Duck Hunt, and Lucina before ultimately picking Wii Fit and Ganon. I have my eyes set on Peach rn tho

Last edited:

Burritotoad

Smash Rookie
NNID
Burritotoad
3DS FC
3222-6453-9602
Which of those characters fo you feel the most comfortable with? For me I play with a character whose moveset is fun yet fitting to my playstyle

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I always feel the impact of every hit with all of these characters, as I feel that connected to all of them. I’d say playing the 3 characters I had for so long makes me get tired of losing, but at the same time I want to have fun while doing so. Going by that logic, I think I can eliminate PAC-Man. I still really want to play Duck Hunt and I feel like the other 3 are kind of tied for 2nd.

Sayabi

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1950-8537-6804
If you want, here's a guide helping you to choose.

TL;DR: pick a character you like playing (ie. their mechanics), you like as a character (ie. you'll have to love their style, their personality, if they fit you, etc), and you can win with (ie. it's good to main Zelda but you'll end up getting bored if you keep losing with her)

Last edited:

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
That was a great read. I went into it expecting nothing and was going to post a video over the same topic.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I agree, I really liked that link, thanks, I think I’m pretty consistent with Duck Hunt and Pit, I have fun with all 4, and honestly I find Pit, Yoshi and Donkey Kong to be fun and consistent, but nothing terribly interesting. Maybe Duck Hunt is my character...

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Have you considered checking out a character discord from smashcords? It's pretty much smashboards 2.0.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I think I found those at some point, but it’s all good as I finally found my new main! I never thought I would be back to the character I mained the first week of the games release, but Bowser has finally come home :) I would say this thread is resolved

Top Bottom