• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is your Main and why do you main them?

What is your Playstyle?

• Hyper Agressive

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Agressive

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Aggression : Defensive

Votes: 127 54.7%
  • Defensive

Votes: 29 12.5%
  • Turtle Defensive

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Bait n Wait

Votes: 20 8.6%

• Total voters

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Mewtwo. Really versatile, really fun, and extremely effective at mix-ups and mind-games. I'm not really sure why I enjoy him, I just do. I like his high risk, high reward archetype as well.

Wnyke

Smash Cadet
Robin cause redhead, and lucina cause redhead, charizard cause red, and king dedede cause red coat...
that's weird... my favorite color is purple though...

Anyway the reason to play my characters is because it clicks, what clicks???... I have no idea, just seems right... they just fit...

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
My main is Cloud for a few reasons:
  1. He's Cloud
  2. I really like his moveset
  3. He's Cloud Strife
  4. His Limit Breaks are the most satisfying thing to land
  5. HE'S CLOUD STRIFE!!!
...did I mention that he's Cloud Strife?

But jokes aside, I really enjoy the fact that he has great range AND decent frame data. That in itself is pretty darn impressive! I also really enjoy killing with Limit Breaks and Limit Canceling is a really fun technique that opens many options. Plus, his moveset is so darn good, especially his aerials and specials! Also, he's extremely fun to play with for me, which is the first thing I look for when I search for a main.

I also have Bowser as my secondary and I'm trying to get better with Corrin as well.

Last edited:

TheSpnBrm

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4871-7612-2614
Mains are :4myfriends: and :4feroy:, I tend to choose based on MU and how I feel geared to play that MU at that current moment.
With Ike being more defensive and standing my ground versus Roy being more movement based and quickening the pace of the game.

My playstyle switches between Zoning/Pressure & Punish/Hit &Run

I main Ike because I've always loved his range and strength behind his blows alongside his fundamentally based kit.
You are rewarded for your solid game play, and reads. showing that you have an understanding behind why you make the decisions you do.

Likewise this why I main Roy with the difference being that you're also really rewarded for showing an understanding of movement and positioning.
These characters to me are the reason I get better at this game because these fundamentals are heavily ingrained in whether you'll win or lose.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
My three mains, :4cloud:, :4bayonetta:, and :4ryu:, all come from my love for their games and how well they mesh with me as a player. Plus I'm a sucker for crossovers.

Cloud initially didn't interest me very much but I started messing around with him and fell in love. He feels so natural to me. The combination of speed, power and range was something that really made me feel at home. Before a couple of days ago I'd never actually played a Final Fantasy game. Started with 7 on an emulator, and playing the rest of the PSX games to start off. :x

Bayonetta is my wife.

Ryu works so well for me as a (mediocre-to-bad) Street Fighter player because he combines the fundamentals of Street Fighter with the engine of Smash. All of Ryu's moves have punch to them, something I like a lot when it comes to picking characters. I'm naturally a passive-aggressive player so Ryu works for me. Plus I love autocombos. Ryu makes me feel like I'm playing PM Lucario except he's a character that I actually care about.

SmashBuster

Smash Rookie
NNID
SmashBustr
:4shulk: has been my main since day one. There is so much to learn and so much diversity. Changing any stat you want on the fly or even just cycling through arts to mess with your opponent. I play Defensive and am aggressive when I need to be. So he suits me perfectly. Also his edge guarding with jump arts is officially one of the best as he can travel far off stage and make it back. I could go on but you all get the point. I intend to discover his true power! Behold the Power of the Monado!

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Ah what the heck, I'll post reasons for all my mains, secondaries, pockets, and former/partial pockets (Basicially pockets that I don't really use as much as other pockets). Also an old secondary I dropped EXTREMELY early, around like March-May.

:4kirby::This was my first smash bros game, so I didn't know much about how this stuff works. So I tried to use who I thought would be the strongest and biggest, thus best, which I decided were Bowser and Ganondorf. Turns out...... I hate both of them. So I was playing around with characters trying to see who the heck I liked. On the second day of having it, I tried Kirby and loved him, espicially because of being able to steal other people's moves with inhale. Of course, back at this time, the first month of playing, I didn't know much, I just spammed jab, dash attack, specials, and grab (But only pummel), I didn't know about the rest of the moveset (I knew there were throws, but I liked just pummeling more), and his playstyle fit really well with my noob ways. Now I play this game good now, and he still fits, which is amazing.

:4jigglypuff::Jigglypuff, for that one month of being a sucky noob, I hated since jab wasn't rapid, Dash Attack wasn't muilti-hit, I didn't know how to use rest or sing, nor that you charge rollout, and her pummel wasn't really fast. I used to hate all of that, but don't mind it at all now. So now I don't hate her, I love her for being an aieral version of Kirby, whom I also love.

EDIT LATER

Last edited:

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
I was going to main Sheik but after the patch, I wasn't sure so I picked up Robin. I've decided to play a character that I think is fun rather than one I think will win. I loved FE Awakening so I like Robin a lot as a character. Plus I like being able to have the options of a sword and projectile.

I'm also maining Ganondorf for dat disrespect and Jigglypuff because she feels more rewarding than my old main Kirby

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
I switch my main to Cloud. He feels really natural to me and he is also a high tier character so i can still get good results with him. I am used to playing Melee Marth so i think it makes sense to main Cloud in Smash 4.

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
:4luigi:This has a story behind it, so bare with me here. So it was back when I got Brawl when it first came out. My older brother had gotten it for me, boasting I could never beat him. I went into full throttle and went for Link instinctively. Though from the start, it was obvious that my brother knew Link like the back of his hand. He played him since the N64 days. After getting creamed I spent that entire summer refining Link. But it just wasn't meant to be. It wasn't until I picked up:4samus:
It was the battle of projectiles. Missiles and bombs and arrows rained from all sides. It lasted nearly 10 minutes before I did him in with the up smash.

Then he decided to get incredibly real. He brought out his real main,:4mario: and I learned how to grab that day. He pummeled me off the stage. He was older, I was younger. It seemed right that Luigi was the choice to combat him. Several grab battles later and I one with Luigi. I wanted to learn how to use him, and parties nonstop. I just wasn't at the level required. That wasn't until ssb4 came out. Luigi was back, stronger than ever, and it didn't take bricks to unlock. Ever since I've learned the importance of an excellent grappler and to take the initiative with stout counterplay. Use your defense as offense so to speak. It wasn't long until I began stumbling on to for glory and went to local tournaments. The rest is history.

Flux0r

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Flux0r
:4bayonetta:.

...please don't hurt me.

I played her original games and i loved her personality and attitude as a character, so i was already dead set on maining her when she got released. Luckily, she turned out to be pretty damn good.

I had already been co-maining :4sheik:and :4zss:for a long time, so there was obviously no demand for a viable character that fit my style, i was instead longing for something "new" and "fresh", Bayonetta answered my prayers.

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
:4bayonetta:.

...please don't hurt me.

I played her original games and i loved her personality and attitude as a character, so i was already dead set on maining her when she got released. Luckily, she turned out to be pretty damn good.

I had already been co-maining :4sheik:and :4zss:for a long time, so there was obviously no demand for a viable character that fit my style, i was instead longing for something "new" and "fresh", Bayonetta answered my prayers.
Well, everyone's just so salty about Bayonetta that they forget how easy it is to break her combo. Seriously, you just need a weak projectile and she simply can't rush in to her kill combo. If someone is good with her, excellent. If someome needs to improve, they don't need to drown in sodium chloride all day. Study replays, find out what you did wrong, and stay determined. Smash has no truly broken characters, that's why the patches exist.

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
:4mario:

He's my favorite video game character, I love his combo-heavy playstyle, and he's a really good character. He fits me pretty much perfectly. I play him aggressive or defensive depending on the situation. If my opponent is sloppy and goes for unsafe approaches, I wait and punish hard. If they play slower, I go for a more aggressive tact and take advantage of their bad reaction time. If they are skilled and play safe, punishing when they see fit, I use a mix of aggressive and defensive to defeat them.

I love Mario and always will!

itsmeMOB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
itsmeMOB
:4littlemac::4zss:

Little Mac because I really love Punch Out. It's a game that grew on me and I love sports. He's an underdog character and that perfectly describes who I am as well. As far as moveset goes, he feels perfect for myself, even though I play him more defensively than aggressively, I tend to play more on the aggressive side and it usually works out for me because I am very patient with him.

ZSS because I played her in Brawl and decided to pick her back up in Sm4sh. Also, this is a dual maining situation because this helps cover matchups that Little Mac obviously has trouble doing with the exception of my pockets. I love Samus as a character as well, but I was never really good with her in Smash when she had the power suit. Most of the characters I play are lightweight to around the average weight, and ZSS felt so crisp, and smooth to me, and on top of my liking of Samus, this is who I decided to use from the transition to Brawl into Sm4sh since :snake: was taken away from me and I had knowledge of her already. (Konami why :()

I-ninja

Smash Cadet
NNID
I-ninja13
3DS FC
4527-9851-5719
I Main the Dorf :4ganondorf:, because I want to be the Bizzarro flame of Smash 4, and change the meta with disrespect.

I second Lucena:4lucina: because, I'm to aggressive for tipper, and not aggressive enough to go full Roy. She also covers :4ganondorf: pretty well.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I Main the Dorf :4ganondorf:, because I want to be the Bizzarro flame of Smash 4, and change the meta with disrespect.

I second Lucena:4lucina: because, I'm to aggressive for tipper, and not aggressive enough to go full Roy. She also covers :4ganondorf: pretty well.
People are still making those jokes? They're pretty stale by now IMO.

I-ninja

Smash Cadet
NNID
I-ninja13
3DS FC
4527-9851-5719
Yeah "Lucena" is a crew in joke at my expense at this point. My Lucina is how to say very showy, and very reckless, just like anything you see at the WWE.

DPKdebator

Smash Apprentice
Ever since I started playing Smash, I've played with everyone's favorite plumber, Mario. :4mario:

Mario has always been my favorite character in a video game, and has been that since I was about five years old. His primary color is red, which is also my favorite color. In terms of his traits as a character in Smash, I like him because he is balanced and is equipped for almost every situation out there (aggression, spacing, edgeguarding, etc.) and does not have as large of a learning curve as other characters. I've also had plenty of time to polish my playstyle (even if it isn't the most polished in the world) since he's the first character I played.

gamecubeguy214

Smash Apprentice
I play that good old' yellow circle, PAC-MAN. I play him mainly because he's probably the most fun character in the game. I've been playing since I failed against Lv. 1 CPUs.

Dr. Corndog

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DrCecilCorndog
Yoshi. I love the character and the games he's appeared in; I've played him since Smash 64; and now, he's finally good.

Degero

Smash Rookie
NNID
devonwfx
Robin, currently. Might end up switching to Lucas because my friends keep telling me that playing Robin makes me bitter, lol

Perikong M.TurtleBits

Smash Rookie
NNID
PeriInTheFamily
I main :4luigi: since the first Smash I played (64) It was the character that I liked the most, and later on I learned how to play and loved his moveset. Been maining him since then, it's like a tradition for me. Also he's one of if not my favorite videogame character. But I'm also very attached to :4dedede: because he's Dedede, man, the best sort of villain ever.

NDS-Boy

Smash Rookie
NNID
ShadowMetalMario
3DS FC
1633-4789-4746
I play Mewtwo.

~Why do you main Mewtwo?

~Because its the one I can play for real, also he's ma favorite. I can make more combos as Mewtwo than as any characters I can play. I will always play him, to get better with, and having fun with.

Kulty

Smash Ace
My main is:4mario:and my competitive secondary is:4shulk:.

:4mario:: Without a doubt my favorite video game character of all time and one of the only two Smash characters that I like in all Smash games, the other being:4marth:(which I solo main him in PM). I love his aggressive playstyle and can be played patiently. His moves are very versatile and I love his creativity throughout his combo game. I love his main platforming games, 2D and 3D, but I do prefer 3D Mario games slightly more in general. While he's considered to be among the best characters in the game, I love him a lot and I have a ton of fun with him. Never going to drop him no matter what happens to him in the next few balance patches.

:4shulk:: The first time I've heard about Shulk is throughout the Gematsu leak that happened during Smash 4 development. I did not know who he was, where he came from and how he would play. It wasn't until his reveal trailer that I started to admire him. This trailer made me so hype to try this character out. At first, he felt a little awkward to play, but I got used to him pretty quickly for a technical character like him. I absolutely love his unique playstyle throughout his Monado Arts, his character because he's so hype, so funny, so energetic and his British accent. I started to play Xenoblade Chronicles and I'm excited to play this game more.

_Jack_

Smash Cadet
I am not an offensive player in the slightest. Rather, I prefer a very defensive playstyle in which I use attacks with long range and projectiles to keep my opponent out and get my hits in when they make a mistake. I also love characters who have a special gimmick that makes fighting against them very unorthodox and unlike fighting any other character. My playstyle also consists of using this gimmick to it's fullest extent in order to confuse my opponent and make them slip up more. I also prefer to use characters I like from their own games instead of just picking someone because of a moveset. I main :rosalina: and :4shulk:...

:rosalina:
Contrary to what many may believe upon seeing this, I don't main Rosalina because she's good. I play her because I love both her character and how she feels to use. Super Mario Galaxy is one of my favorite games of all time and I absolutely loved Rosalina in that game. She's one of my favorite characters in gaming and was my dream pick for Smash 4. I didn't even think she'd make it. I assumed she'd just be thrown in as an assist trophy or a background element on the Mario Galaxy stage. But, nope. Sakurai went all out and made her a playable character in the game. When I saw her trailer, I was heartbent on maining her, even if she wound up being absolute garbage. I've been maining her since Day 1 and I remember feeling so comfortable the first time I used her. She felt absolutely perfect and it wasn't hard to get used to her "2-in-1" gimmick because of my past experiences maining Ice Climbers. Rosalina feels like a character that was made for me.

:4shulk:
Shulk is a weird story. I didn't know anything about him or his game when he was "announced" (leaked) to be in the game. The only thing I did know about him was that he existed and his name was Shulk and that was because of the Gematsu leak. I didn't really think a whole lot of Shulk when he was announced and when I first started playing the game. When I watched his trailer, I felt like I could be good with him since he seemingly fulfilled my playstyle requirements. However, when the game came out, I was too busy trying to learn Rosalina and other characters and I didn't really think much of him since I didn't even know who the heck he was as a character. However, in November of 2014, my friend, who was having some difficulty finding a main, tried out Shulk and quickly gave up, telling me that Shulk was awful. Knowing of his Monado Arts gimmick, I told him that he probably didn't spend enough time using the character (as he did the same thing with Pac-Man) and that I would show him that Shulk is good. So, I picked him up and fell in love with how he plays. I eventually managed to get my hands on a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles and play the game for myself, too. Shulk is now my favorite character of all time. Everything is perfect about Shulk. His range is immaculate and possesses some of the best spacing tools in the entire game. As long as I use attacks wisely, I can make it very hard for my opponent to approach me. His Monado Arts are very flexible and cause his gameplay to be very diverse and interesting. No other character in the entire game can change their playstyle at the blink of an eye like Shulk can. With arts, Shulk can become one of the best edgeguarders in the game with one of the greatest aerial mobilities, one of the fastest characters in the game with one of the best approach speeds, the heaviest character in the game and one of the most irritatingly difficult characters to KO, the owner of one of the best damage outputs in the entire game, and the owner of a moveset full of kill moves. Playing Shulk allows for so much creativity because there is no right or wrong way to use the arts. If it works for you, then do it. That's why, in my opinion, Shulk is the most interesting character to watch in the game. No two Shulk players are the same because each Shulk player uses the arts in completely different ways. Sure, his drawbacks are very noticable. If you do something wrong and get punished for it, it's going to hurt A LOT because of art weaknesses and his pitiful frame data. However, this makes him feel very rewarding to play. That and his victory theme is god tier, so why wouldn't you try your heart out to win with this guy? That aside, like Rosalina, Shulk just fits my playstyle perfectly and I never get bored using him because of how complex playing him is and how creative you can be with the Monado Arts.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Fox and previously Yoshi.

Fox, because while he seems like a lost cause to fight as and learn sometimes, he is my buddy, and my favorite Nintendo protagonist. Fox seems to have a recovery that has literally worked i situations where Yoshi wouldn't have a prayer trying to recover. Besides, Fox doesn't suffer from the end lag Yoshi suffers from in many of his attacks.

As for Yoshi, mainly because when I first picked up Smash, in the Mario Kart and Mario Party games, I would choose Yoshi, so it seemed natural when Melee made its round to choose Yoshi.

Playstyle? I can't say I have any one type in particular, I just fight, panic, and repeat. Whatever happens, happens. Although if I had to really go into it, Yoshi requires a aggressive type of playstyle, while Fox is a mix of defensive and aggressive.

tipsyCalibrator

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jack0vAllTrades
Wii U Fox is a character that fits perfectly as a character for me. He's a super aggressive and rushdown oriented, he's agile and fast, he's got a ton of combo potential, and he's not too complicated. That's pretty much everything I look for in a fighting game character. He's also one of the few high tier characters that doesn't get a lot of complaints, so I don't have to put up with a lot of **** that people say about other top tiers like Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, Cloud, Captain Falcon, etc. He kind of goes under the radar and doesn't really get a lot of **** from anyone (other than the pew pew animals joke I guess). He's also a pretty cool character, maybe not as cool as Falco or Wolf, but still pretty badass in his own right. He's a war hero who stopped a ton of major wars singlehandedly, runs his own team of mercenaries, and chopped off his legs and replaced them with robot ones (or something like that. I'm not really up on Star Fox lore or anything so some of that's probably wrong). He's also fairly flashy, certainly not Captain Falcon or Bayonetta levels of flash of course, but definitely flashy. I also like his design, especially with his orange alt, because it makes him look like a rebel pilot from Star Wars (I mean he IS a space pilot and Star Fox is already kinda Star Wars with animals anyway)

Also, foxes are ****ing cute and I love them (I swear I'm not a furry)

Last edited:

ElectroLightning

Banned via Warnings
NNID
kultava
I'm a Ganon main, here's my story..

I was shaken, my friend just destroyed my Mega Man (previous main) 12 times. I basically gave up and clicked the random button.
Darn it! It was Ganon... The Gunship came down and dropped my dreaded enemy, ZSS... She came at me like a bullet, I panicked and used Flame Choke, it worked. I followed up with Down Tilt and a Forward Aerial.. I still lost, but barely. Then I decided Ganon would be my main. 2 months later, I challenged him again. I did a Zero-to-death 3 times and destroyed most of his playable roster. Then he brought out Marth, Sheesh, he really is desperate I thought. I was wrong, DEAD wrong! I was able to take a stock and nearly finish it with a meteor smash, but he air dodged. He killed me with some weird variation of the Ken Combo.

Well that's why I main Ganon....

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
:4link: Since the start of the Smash series. I've mained him in every single game because of my die-hard love for the Zelda series. He's been my all time favorite Nintendo character since the beginning of time (See what I did thar?) and a childhood hero during my earlier years as a kid.

GeflGabe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeflGabe
3DS FC
4141-7244-4594
Switch FC
SW-7469-5871-5880
Marth, for these reasons.
1. His moveset and combos are just my style.
2 Ever since I picked up fire emblem, it's been one of my favorite games.
3 The powerful mechanic known as tippers.
4 He has a sword.

Tythaeus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xX-R4GE-Xx
3DS FC
4038-7179-8613
I main Bayonetta because I have no soul and don't mind handing people the quickest of L's.

Serious note, her games are ****ing awesome. I couldnt help not maining her.

randa20

Smash Rookie
NNID
Randa20
I main zelda! I just really love playing with her she's a lot of fun & im pretty good with her. I played with her since melee & have never dropped or had a co-main. Zelda always got the job done for me

jcx

Smash Journeyman
:4villager: is my way to go!

1. He's top tier
2. He fits my punish-heavy play style
3. He's good at camping, so Bayonetta is easier
4. He's extremely fun to play, at least for me. In fact, I switched to him from a higher-tiered character, Mario, because I was enjoying Villager much more.

EDIT:
Wii U Fox is a character that fits perfectly as a character for me. He's a super aggressive and rushdown oriented, he's agile and fast, he's got a ton of combo potential, and he's not too complicated. That's pretty much everything I look for in a fighting game character. He's also one of the few high tier characters that doesn't get a lot of complaints, so I don't have to put up with a lot of **** that people say about other top tiers like Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, Cloud, Captain Falcon, etc. He kind of goes under the radar and doesn't really get a lot of **** from anyone (other than the pew pew animals joke I guess). He's also a pretty cool character, maybe not as cool as Falco or Wolf, but still pretty badass in his own right. He's a war hero who stopped a ton of major wars singlehandedly, runs his own team of mercenaries, and chopped off his legs and replaced them with robot ones (or something like that. I'm not really up on Star Fox lore or anything so some of that's probably wrong). He's also fairly flashy, certainly not Captain Falcon or Bayonetta levels of flash of course, but definitely flashy. I also like his design, especially with his orange alt, because it makes him look like a rebel pilot from Star Wars (I mean he IS a space pilot and Star Fox is already kinda Star Wars with animals anyway)

Also, foxes are ****ing cute and I love them (I swear I'm not a furry)
Unfortunately, Smash 4 Fox goes under the radar because his multishining, "TORIYAAAH" screaming Melee iteration is the face of competitive Smash. Smash 4 Fox needs more love!

Last edited:

tipsyCalibrator

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jack0vAllTrades
Unfortunately, Smash 4 Fox goes under the radar because his multishining, "TORIYAAAH" screaming Melee iteration is the face of competitive Smash. Smash 4 Fox needs more love!
Yeah, I figure it's probably because he was the best in Melee, and then came down to being not so good in Brawl, so everyone just stopped caring about him. On the one hand, it would be kinda cool to see more Fox representation, but at the same time it's kind of fun maining a character that no one pays attention to

Routa

Smash Lord
I main :4miisword:.

- One of the few characters that feel right to play as (for mii)
- I'm a hipster
- Kool kidz use Miis
- Miimes
- I can play as my favourite character from the Legend of Zelda series. Who is my favourite character? Salvatore.
- I'm a fan of edgeguarding and Swordspider happens to have very good edgeguarding game

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
i main :4mewtwo:

-Sucked in melee
-has a high chance of top tier
-very fun to play as
-interesting character

Top Bottom