• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is your Main and why do you main them?

What is your Playstyle?

• Hyper Agressive

Votes: 11 4.7%
  • Agressive

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Aggression : Defensive

Votes: 127 54.7%
  • Defensive

Votes: 29 12.5%
  • Turtle Defensive

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Bait n Wait

Votes: 20 8.6%

• Total voters

ssb.rogue

Smash Rookie
NNID
ssb.rogue
I've been maining :4yoshi: since the start of the game. The way I play Yoshi is aggressive and defensive because of certain match-ups and also depending on the opponent's play style. With Yoshi's eggs, it's a great offensive and defensive tool that can mess with the opponent. Also on the offensive end, Yoshi's command grab is what I use to rack up percent damage especially when I catch my opponent with a B-reverse. I've only been playing competitive for less than a year now but I still got a long way to go.

I've decided to pick up :4bayonetta: because I wanted to play a character with lots of offensive options and someone with a good recovery. I'm still in the works with mastering Bayonetta but I think she'll be great to my competitive arsenal. I'll probably have a hyper aggressive style with her.

Donkey_Inferno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkey_Inferno
3DS FC
4768-7553-7018
I Main who I Main because no other character on the roster can use Buzz Saws, Drills, Cannons, Boxing Gloves, Exploding Robots, Karts, Tongues, and Giant Forks at the same time....

But besides that. Bowser Jr. clicked in my head as my favorite character so quick. I just think he is so amazing and incredibly unique. And I love using unique characters.

SlickJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SlickJ95
My main is Pikachu, I main Pikachu cause this little thunderball fits the role of Hyper Aggressive but also can recover easily.

The overall speed i can process with this Character is perfect on how aggressive i like to be, If i want to go in and dish out a thunder load of damage and get out unshaven then immediately go back in AGAIN after a second or two. I can do that with Pikachu, All thanks to Quick-Attack. 10/10 best up special.
I main Mario. After many years of not playing Melee I had finally gotten back to Super Smash Bros. Brawl. My main in Melee was Link and I had no idea who to use in Brawl. I told myself I was just going to master the entire roster in order and then Mario became fun and I just stuck with him and I haven't used many other characters besides him. My secondary is Villager just because he is fun and helps me win but the rest are sort of pockets. Bayonetta is sort of a main/pocket of mine also but it's mostly Mario who I use 80% of the time.

Poopysandwich

Smash Rookie
:4peach: She is the most technical and hardest character to play as
Her combos are creative and variable. Edge guarding is amazing
Lots of movement options and she has the potential to be top tier

Vexxan

Smash Rookie
NNID
VexxanVahydro
3DS FC
0130-2994-6492
I main Little Mac. Ok I know he has an awful recovery but he is such an awesome character... Between times though I may turn my head towards Greninja and Cloud mainly coz I grew up with FF and Pokemon, though I must admit I need more practise with Cloud. As for my palystyle, I'll mix it up depending on the opponent I face.

Last edited:

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
I switched to Corrin, and I knew I would from the second I saw the trailer. I've always wanted this character in Smash Bros: a sword character with a good projectile, unique properties, and no "maintenance" move (charging Giant Punch, Limit, etc). Corrin hits all those notes beautifully and matches my slightly defensive playstyle very well. The fact that he's also got awesome movement options with the Dragon Lunge is icing on the cake.

marteen_

Smash Cadet
NNID
martinthelee
I like Yoshi. I was going to main him no matter what when I first started playing in Brawl.

Last edited:

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
I like Yoshi. I was going to main him no matter what when I first started playing in Brawl.
As good a reason as any! If Dracula from the Castlevania games ever made it into Smash, I'd play him no matter where he was on the tier list.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
:4pacman: I messed around with him for the first few months the game was out, then really dedicated to him once I realized the true power of his Bonus Fruit. An overall fantastic character with lots of potential that many people still underrate.
:4metaknight: Alright, I admit I jumped on the hype train when I first played him, but now I really like his play style. A flexible recovery, satisfying combos to death, great throws and aerials, and a Ganondorf-Up-smash-esque F-smash.
:4drmario: I liked him in Melee, and once I picked him up in this game he felt natural. He's a bit lower because I'm kinda sad of how obviously inferior he is to his plumber self, but his specials, combos, and mobility make him more comfortable to me.
:4tlink: I just randomly chose him for training mode one day, and I'm really glad I did. His mobility, projectiles, and recovery are superior to those of his realistic self, and his combos and power are basically on par. He even inspired me to play WindWaker HD!
:4miigun: Like with Toon Link, I just randomly played him once, thinking nothing much of it at first, and now I'm immediately attracted. I like the great power with projectiles and other disjoints that the other Miis just can't compare to.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
:rosalina: I absolutely loved Super Mario Galaxy and I love her as a character. Her storybook has really touched a nerve on me and she easily became my all time favorite Mario character ever. Lately when I think about the Mario series, Rosalina is all I care about. Nothing more, nothing less. And thus, she will always be the only Mario rep I'll ever play as in Smash.
:4cloud: I never played Final Fantasy VII at the time of his reveal but when I saw his trailer, I got really interested in trying him out. Once he came out and picked him up, I absolutely enjoyed the way he plays and he eventually became my second favorite character to play as. Months later, I finally got the chance to play his game on my PS4 and I'm really liking it so far.
:4link: I've mained him since Smash 64 but I didn't know anything about the Zelda games at the time. It wasn't until 5 years ago when I started playing my first Zelda game and I became a fan of the series since.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Main has been and always will be Pikachu. What even is a "defense"? Is that a thing that like, you need when your moveset kinda isn't very good?

In all seriousness though, I don't tend to worry much about defense, and Pikachu is perfect for that because he can use QA for defense and offense, and his offensive tools are just all around great for a variety of situations.

Volga

Juggling Veteran
NNID
Saltytitan
3DS FC
0533-7336-5044
Mac and Bayonetta!

:4littlemac:at the time of picking him up(which was when I first played Smash 4 about a year ago or so) I've never played his games,but I knew what he was about. His reveal trailer helped finalize that for me. Yeah he doesn't have the best recovery,but I till wanna work with his faults because he's so fun to use. also Armoring through Finishing Touches with Smashes and Neutral B never hurts. :D I tend to be more aggressive with him,going for Shield Breaks when I can.

:4bayonetta:I'm REALLY glad she was in the game. I love her series,and she kinda helps out with Mac faults,like the aforementioned air game/recoveries. Though I need to adjust with her,I SD with her more than I think I do. I'm more defensive with her,using Bullet Arts from Afar to rack up the Damage. Probably go in the situation warrants it.

2 Characters that I love playing in Smash? Good on ya Nintendo! I don't see myself Dropping Either of these guys,even if I do terrible with one of them.

Moshilam

Smash Cadet
I main :4duckhunt: because if you cant hit me, you can't win. Mate I gove everyone a CAN of PUNCH HAHAAHAHH

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
:rosalina: I absolutely loved Super Mario Galaxy and I love her as a character. Her storybook has really touched a nerve on me and she easily became my all time favorite Mario character ever. Lately when I think about the Mario series, Rosalina is all I care about. Nothing more, nothing less. And thus, she will always be the only Mario rep I'll ever play as in Smash.
Rosalina is one of my favorite Mario characters too, probably 2nd or 3rd favorite, beaten out only by Fawful. It's weird because everyone in the Mario universe is screaming and yelling and then there's just Rosalina over yonder like "oh hi". Definitely out of the ordinary, which I like. I've always wanted to pick her up, but I'm always afraid of the backlash I might get since she seems rather... unpopular with most of the smash community.

I guess I have a thing for tall, floaty characters. :p

Mothraniclus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1178-0677-3736
I main Samus because I utterly love Metroid and it's been my favorite franchise since I was 10. Samus is just so cool. She has this super cool armor that lets her fire tons of beams and fly all over the place. She can shoot MISSILES out of her cannon too. And she can become a prefect sphere. What's not to like about her?

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
:4bayonetta2:

Gravitated towards her because of her high execution requirement and high amount of options.

Kinda been trying to find a new main, but now it's too late lol I'm too used to her.

TheReplayRemake

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheSeductiveSpy
3DS FC
1693-1443-0003
I main Link cause i never like conforming to one playstyle, with link i can transition from turtle to offensive with a quick DITCIT. Plus ive always like charaters who combo off projectiles

Lazerpants

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lazerpants
I main:4shulk:out of character loyalty and respect, and plus i love how much range and he has with his n-air, f-air, b-air, u-tilt, his smash attacks, and pretty much his entire moveset. Shulk also has a lot of versatility with his monado arts, you just can't go wrong with him.
On the other hand, i secondary:4samus:. Again, because i love Samus and Metroid as a whole. I also just love how many combos Samus has, it's amazing how many combos and utilities she has and yet somehow she dwells at bottom tier along with Gannon and Dedede.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
My main is Pikachu, I main Pikachu cause this little thunderball fits the role of Hyper Aggressive but also can recover easily.

The overall speed i can process with this Character is perfect on how aggressive i like to be, If i want to go in and dish out a thunder load of damage and get out unshaven then immediately go back in AGAIN after a second or two. I can do that with Pikachu, All thanks to Quick-Attack. 10/10 best up special.
Yh 4Real Pikachu is insane i got molested by one hard last night on FG guy was really good.

RedAhmed

Smash Rookie
NNID
RedAhmed
3DS FC
4339-2569-6938
First of all, I don't care about tiers. I look at character design, the series they're from and if they're fun to play as.

My main is Roy:4feroy:, I'm enjoying playing him the most of all characters. I also love Fire Emblem, my favourite SRPG series, I've played all EU released games and like the characters. Roy's new design also looks great, his style also fits me. I like to be on the offensive, just get in the face of the opponent, and Roy is fun to play that way.

My secondaries or whatever you want to call them:

:4mewtwo:Mewtwo has been my most wanted character, and I was extremely happy with his return. I'm still salty that he's a glass canon, which I think doesn't fit him, but that's a discussion for another time and place. Again, I love Pokemon, and Mewtwo is my favourite Pokemon to date. Just look at him!

:4link: I've played Link in Smash since I can remember, all the way back to N64. The Legend of Zelda is my favourite game series of all time. I've played Link even when he was kinda bad, and I think he's on his best in Smash 4. I would make him my absolute main if he was a bit faster, so I could play more agressive with him. Nonetheless, I still love this character, no matter how he plays.

:4myfriends: Ike is a bit of the same story with Roy. The moment he got announced for Brawl, I was excited... But I didn't like the fact that he's a slow powerhouse. Like with Mewtwo, I don't think that fits him, and you'll know why if you've played FE PoR and RD. But I still understand they wanted him te be a different fighter than Marth. I used Ike a lot in Brawl to fill the empty space in my heart that was left by Roy. I was never good with Ike, I was terrible actually. But I still played him, I love FE, and PoR and RD are my favourite FE games. I still use Ike sometimes in Smash4, for those reasons.

:4lucas:I just like Lucas' design. I have never played Mother, until EarthBound finally released on the eShop (Europe am cry). And still haven't touched the game other than playing the first half hour or so of the game. So, what got me interested in Lucas is his design, which I think is better than Ness. He's also pretty fun to play as, even if I suck as Lucas.

:4pikachu: I've played Pikachu since N64 as well, along with every Smash. But I never really mained him, except for a part in Brawl. I like Pikachu for, again, his design and my love for Pokemon. He's also a speedy character and fun to use.

:4yoshi: I've also played Yoshi in every Smash game. Also never been my main, but Yoshi is my favourite character from the Mario universe. I've loved him since Super Mario World, and I really love Yoshi's Island.

:4cloud::4corrinf::4ryu::4shulk: my other honorable mentions. These are all fun characters to play as. But there are too many characters I want to play!! In the case of Shulk, he was also one of my most wanted characters for Smash, and he got in!! I like to play as him, he's pretty fun with his Monado mechanics, but there are others I prefer.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
My main in Smash Bros. is Cloud Strife.

A sentence I never, ever thought I would say. :3

Lime Cultivist

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3368-3457-2010
Since I play Fox in melee I can't play very defensive, even with Melee characters like :jigglypuffmelee: :marthmelee:,
or smash 4 ones like :4link::4samus::rosalina:, but I know when to try and regain positioning when being shield pressured by 5 moves a second against another spacie. So I love :4mewtwo: :4falco: in this game because... ? :ohwell: something

Last edited:

XHunterX

Smash Rookie
NNID
XHunterX55
:4zss: I didn't really know much about smash so I just watched tournaments on YouTube. I saw Nairo execute so many cool aerial combos with ZSS and decided to try her out for myself. I love her mobility and quick playstyle. She has so many options and I love styling with her.

:4kirby: I picked him up at first because Kirby is literally the cutest thing in existence. His down taunt is the best move in the game, hands down. Jokes aside, there's a lot of creative combos one can do with Kirby. He's heavily underestimated, so I love playing this "low tier" character.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
:4diddy: Is basically the virtual avatar of my youth. Donkey Kong Country 2 is still my favorite game to this day. Was overhyped when he was revealed in Brawl, and since the first day I used him it was magic. Perfect playstyle for me, and he's my favorite character ever. There's no reason for me not to play Diddy.

:4dk: Was my main since Melee. Not 64 ironically, cause back there I didn't want to use DK because of Diddy's absence :rolleyes: Yeah, I was a silly kid, and I liked Pikachu better I guess. Needless to say, he's the representative of my favorite gaming series, although not my favorite character in it. He's a fast heavy weight with lots of grab combos, that alone I appriciate.

:4myfriends:: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance & Radiant Dawn. Nuff said.

:4mewtwo:: Favorite Pokémon basically, was hyped to see him back in Smash 4. First "new" character that hyped me in Smash 4.

:4tlink:: Wind Waker, also projectiles and actually a viable version of Link. I always liked Young Link as a casual character in Melee, but couldn't really stand Toon Link's playstyle in Brawl despite being hyped for his inclusion. I guess after he came back in Smash 4 I really got to appriciate the character more.

:4fox:: In Melee, Fox was too technical for me, in Brawl, he got massacared by chain grabs, and I already had DK for such scenes. As a matter of fact, I always liked Fox as a character. Moreso after StarFox Adventures. So now he's Top Tier again in Smash 4, am looking more into Fox than ever.

:4ness:: First time he's actually viable without shenanigans bringing him down. Ness got a lot of love from me ever since Brawl, where I feared he might've been cut for Lucas. 'Up untill now...' Am also a big fan of EarthBound, so Ness was already a character I loved using. Especially now in Smash 4, where I think his moveset is just perfect suited for him.

Mothraniclus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1178-0677-3736
:4zss:: Same reason as Samus.
:4lucina:: Loved Fire Emblem Awakening, plus I like how she's more combo based than Marth.
:4robinf:: Same as Lucina, plus I love using tomes in FE, so there's that.
:4mewtwo:: Mewtwo because fave legendary.

Natwin

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sykuga
Though I can really only scale myself on how good I am with characters, since really I consider myself to be "mainless"

:4link:: Favorite character from my favorite childhood series, I like his playstyle to where I can switch between turtleing and physical combat in a cinch. I always thought he was a pretty cool character.

:4dk:: His playstyle being a bruiser/grab character suits me well, I love grab characters in games. Like my boi Zangief. Though pretty inferior to other characters, mostly ones with a projectile. Taking risks is just another way to deal with them, and another reason why I love this fighter.

:4sheik::I lack proper skill to fully manipulate space etc etc, so I kinda just go ham unless i'm trying to poke with needles. Also mix ups are quite easy due to speed...obviously... It's fun what can I say lol.

:4fox::20XX. No. I mean kind of but still. He's fast and fun, really funky combos too. Also, love the starfox series, I dunno why people be hatin' on SF zero but hey, nothin' I can do about that.

:4falcon:: Not to be stereotypical here but, pretty much why people use falcon in general.

Do I need a waifu? Yes?

:4palutena:: Side Taunt GG. Still tho, love Palutena. Fun to play, nice to look at :cool:.

Last edited:

ArguablyTasty

Smash Rookie
:4cloud2: because, although I didn't play FF7, I liked him a lot in the KH series, and he's the only SE representation we'll get- the closest to Sora that we have. Plus I really like his playstyle, and will keep playing him even if he's nerfed.

I'm thinking I'm going to pick :4greninja: back up again as a secondary over Fox though, since he's my 3rd favourite Pokemon

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
:4wario:Farts are so hype, satisfying to land and so much fun...and smash farts are always funny just like real life. And fart means I'm never out of a match as long as I have it, I love having that comeback potential wildcard up my sleave. That's the main reason. I also love the comedy aspect overall. His "wah" noises throughout his moveset are hilarious, and he has the best victory screens which are also hilarious. I also find his bite a lot of fun. I also like being different and maining a character who is not commonly played.

:rosalina:I'll be honest I find this character boring and uninteresting AF, but she's become my go to secondarynow because she is super good and covers the :4diddy::4mario::4sheik:matchups that are bad for Wario, and because she fits my playstyle really well. I found her very natural and easy to pick up, other than her recovery which has taken some work.

:4dk:Another secondary, he's just so much fun and has always been my "for fun" character, even before the cargo upthrow buff. I love the ding dong comeback aspect though, as well as DK punch. Plus I'm a huge fan of the Donkey Kong Country games. He's always felt very natural for me to play as well, I feel very comfortable with him. He might start being my go to for the :4cloud:matchup, although he has trouble landing against Cloud's upair so I may end up keeping him for the :4mario:matchup where he does well. Or I may use him against other swordies that aren't Cloud if I'm not feeling Rosa.

:4dedede:My old main. Like Wario I love the comedy aspect. Still keep him in the pocket for a couple matchups I feel he does well in. Had to drop him from main status sadly because he gets bodied by way too many top/high tiers.

:4cloud:I'm a big FF7 fan, beat it like 3 times. Also he's very OP in smash still, even after 1.1.5. Also he's easy to play. Not used him in bracket yet but I might start soon. Just feels cheap right now TBH and I know they're going to neuter him with more nerfs in another patch so I don't want to invest time until they're done with patches.

Last edited:

Discoid

Smash Rookie
NNID
Discoid
:4sonic:Easily, I don't even really enjoy anyone else much (with exception) not am I good at all with them. I was never into competitive Smash but once I found out he was actually really good in Sm4sh I decided to learn the game and love it a lot now. It just feels so so so satisfying pulling off good combos and overwhelming my opponent with his insane speed and mobility.

C3CC

Smash Lord
:rosalina:: She just fits my fighting style (tall, floaty characters) and I love the character. Also it's very fun to be able to use two characters at the same time. Sandwiching people between her and Luma is SO satisfying.

:4mewtwo:: My main in Melee, even though he sucked, because I'm a sucker for telekinetic powers. They're just so cool. Psychic is my favorite Pokémon type and Mewtwo just oozes coolness AND power. I also love villains and I loved his portrayal in the first movie.

:4charizard:: I love dragons and Charizard is amazing. Even though I chose Blastoise almost all the time, I always looked for a way to get a Charizard in my games because he's so cool. He's also a powerhouse and killing with him is very satisfying.

:4yoshi:: Just look at him. He's so freaking adorable. He's also my go-to option in Mario spin-offs and his playstyle is very fun. He was my main in 64, but I couldn't use him in either Melee or Brawl; he felt kind of weird. Now, he's awesome again.

:4lucas:: Since I lost my main from Melee in Brawl, I had to go look for someone else with psychic powers, and since Ness is so weird and I can't stand his voice, I tried Lucas. He hooked me from day one.

:4palutena:: She's a fun character in both terms of personality and gameplay, even though she kind of sucks. Also her wing attacks and the light beam are amazing. And that side taunt, though!

D

Deleted member

:4cloud:

Cloud is everything I've wanted in a character and more. I've never felt so free playing as somebody in Smash ever since :metaknight:. Great frame data, range, and combos/strings along with just being so fast makes him an outright treat to play. Being able to dictate the pace of the match with Limit Charge and intimidate your opponents by unleashing a LB special at the moment they least expect it is so satisfying, particularly Limit Cross Slash. I haven't played FFVII or any other Final Fantasy game, but his inclusion has peaked my interest.

:4mewtwo:

I'm a person who's really into glass-cannon type characters. I messed around with :pichumelee: a lot in Melee despite how bad he was, and loved :gw: in Brawl and Project M. Now we have Mewtwo. Even with his light weight and poor grab range being noticeable issues, his strengths far outweigh his weaknesses. He has an excellent recovery with different ways to mix it up and edgeguarding ability, one of the best projectiles in the game and the most deadly, and just having a good amount of versatility all around. His fast speed and wide ranged attacks especially in the air allow him to have combos that flow very well and do good danage. Confusion working both as a reflector and a command grab is also awesome.

:4diddy:

Diddy is only my secondary but I'll talk about him here too. Never played DKC though I want to someday.

Diddy is just so much fun. Using bananas and peanuts to gain control of the stage, his amazing neutral combined with his combo'ing ability and pressure just fit the bill for me. His pretty good reach (I love me some disjoints on characters I play) doesn't hurt either, especially on moves like his forward air... Which is complete art.

Last edited by a moderator:

Suzukipot

Actual Mother trash
NNID
em12498
3DS FC
0404-9964-5652
On WII U I main :4lucas: I'm an aggressive player and I like to pressure my opponents and Lucas is great for it. He's also super fun to play with and I just like his character as a whole.

:4sheik: is my secondary, just because, out of the other two top tiers, she fits my playstyle and I like having top tiers as my secondaries.

On 3DS I main :4ness: It started out as just messing around and using characters I like but I quickly found myself making him my main. He plays a lot differently from Lucas but I think that if I invest more time into him, then I'll get used to playing him.

:4bayonetta2: is my secondary (on 3DS) Her offensive game is great and she fits my playstyle perfectly. Between her combos, Witch Time, her smash attacks....she's perfect for me. Her recovery isn't the greatest but I can easily work around it.

sunfleck

Smash Rookie
NNID
sunfleck
:4mewtwo: I main mewtwo, because he's got a lot of mobility and his design is centered around deception. He's also mad strong and keeps getting buffed.

D

Deleted member 269706

Started out as :4myfriends: as he was my guy back in Brawl. Unfortunately, I had to drop him for :4falcon: after realizing how much of an aggressive player I am and how much more I get out of having a character who can actually play aggressively. However, just recently I started playing :4fox: because at my local I've been starting to place really high but losing to characters like Sheik, Pika, Rosa, ZSS, Ryu, etc. and Falcon really struggles against them. So Fox it is to compliment my highly aggressive play and not be at a ridiculous disadvantage.

Also enjoy playing the following in friendlies and some very rarely in tourney. :4ganondorf::4cloud2::4corrin::4drmario::4falco::4greninja::4marth::rosalina::4feroy::4peach::4samus::4zelda:

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
my main is :4falco: simply because I love this bird. I picked him up in melee when he first came out and I have loved him ever since. I liked his uniqueness in Brawl, the high jumps, the new kick reflector and his godly dair. Sure he changed a little from brawl to sm4sh but he still fits me like a glove. His bair is amazing, and I love showing people just how good he really is.

Top Bottom