• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is your main and why did you pick them?

Captain Phobos

Smash Apprentice
Mine is Captain Falcon. I've always been a fan of aerial game, and Falcon has some of the best. Hitting my first offstage fair was probably one of my fondest memories from smash.

tsmfoxmaster

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
FGOD#520
Fox because of his speed and combos. Also his tech skill gap and a great character to play and he wins majors.

Last edited:

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
:jigglypuffmelee:

Two years ago I was playing with my friends when we didn't know about the competitive scene. I chose her as a joke character and accidentally pulled off a rest. Immediately mained her and only her since then. I found out who Hungrybox was and never knew Puff was a super good character and somewhat easy to use, then went into the competitive scene.

Last edited:

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
I main :peachmelee: 'cause her down smash, jabs 1 and 2, and back throw are cute-looking. Besides that, a decent amount of tech skill is a must to master her and this is what I aim to work on. And more than anything, I've grown fond of her long before I even started playing Melee. Oh, and her green outfit and Daisy outfit...don't get me started on that. :love:

Edit: Recently started maining :zeldamelee: alongside :peachmelee: since I adore her green outfit. Let's not forget the Lightning Kicks which are so satisfying to land though I still prefer the :falconmelee: knee over these.

Last edited:

YoungsterRoss

Smash Rookie
NNID
rossdaboss2002
3DS FC
1736-0591-0412
Peach and Falco because I felt immediately comfortable playing as them, plus I find them the most fun characters to play.

ThatKawaiiGuy

Smash Rookie
I like Fox because of how fast he is and all the options he has. I switched to Yoshi after a bit cause I felt like Fox was too fast for me, but Yoshi kinda warmed me up to Fox so I'm back to him.

Uber Duck

Smash Rookie
I'm slowly transitioning to Sheik. I've always really liked her, and since coming back into the scene I've decided a new character that's easier on my hands (hand pains from unrelated events recently). I really like her movement and the challenge of using her in the neutral. Needle edgeguards feel slick af and the tech chase is so fun.

JagerCry

Smash Cadet
I was a :foxmelee: main for literally 15 years bc I mained him in 64 and I liked his fast, very technical style. I'm typically drawn to harder to play characters/classes in games. But as weird as this sounds, since my friends all play Sm4sh and I play :4sheik: and :4marth: in that it actually got me to transition to :sheikmelee:/:marthmelee: in Melee. I enjoy :foxmelee:/:falcomelee:/:marthmelee:/:sheikmelee:/:jigglypuffmelee: all about the same. I like all of them but I really like spacing & dash dancing with :marthmelee: and edgeguarding & tech chasing with :sheikmelee:.

Suzukipot

Actual Mother trash
NNID
em12498
3DS FC
0404-9964-5652
I main :peachmelee: because, first and foremost, she's easier to use than my previous Melee main, :icsmelee: I like messing with RNG, I like her powerful Smash attacks and I like how technically demanding she is, right about at my skill range.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
Falcon because I've decided I'm done trying to win. I'd rather play for fun and see if winning comes along with it. I've also been playing Samus lately because I like how she controls every aspect of the playing field.

Hemwick

Fox <3
Jigglypuff, last year I was playing with my friends when we had no idea about the competitive smash scene and tech like L-canceling. I accidentally pulled off a rest and thought Jigglypuff was broken, even though she dies easily. Then I started to look into the game more which got me into competitive Melee. Just yesterday (4/23/17) I went to my first local tournament with my Jigglypuff and got through pools, but unfortunately lost my first match in bracket.
You're going to be the best puff in Ohio, don't let me down!

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
You're going to be the best puff in Ohio, don't let me down!
Oh, I forgot to thank you for helping me get into competitive Melee. I also got information on smash groups in Springfield and I plan to attend a butt-load more tournaments during the summer. Shhhhmanks!

Last edited:

Hemwick

Fox <3
Oh, I forgot to thank you for helping me get into competitive Melee. I also got information on smash groups in Springfield and I plan to attend a butt-load more tournaments during the summer. Shhhhmanks!
No problem at all. Good luck at all your future tournaments!

Mint Flavor

Smash Rookie
Kirby, I love his games and his character, his playstyle is so fun and really applies to me. Also, I have always had much more fun maining low tiers than top tiers.

Last edited:

Weggieninja

Smash Rookie
Captain Falcon, just because of his interesting moveset and pretty much the character himeself. Never played an F-Zero game except the SNES one, but he's a really fun character to play as.

SpeedyJ

Smash Journeyman
Captain Falcon because in many ways I find him to be the most fun character. I think Knee is the coolest move in the game, he has the best taunt and gets the crowd on your side.

Those top tiers though... :laugh:

Binion

Smash Rookie
I main :jigglypuffmelee: because his f-air and b-air look like he's poking his opponent farther and farther off screen, then he floats back and smiles. Jigglypuff always has a smile on her face, which makes me have one too.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I'm terrible at Melee, so I try to main characters that are easier on my hands. :mariomelee: and :jigglypuffmelee: are my two current mains in Melee because I found them easy to pick up and not too frustratingly difficult in tech skill. I also have a childhood filled with Mario, so because of nostalgia, Mario's one of my two characters as well.

On another note, aside from Mew2King, A Rookie is my fav Melee player <3 He also inspires me to use Mario more.

SquidKid

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
SQD#839
I've only been on the scene for a few years, so it took me a while to figure out my main. I chose :samusmelee: because of all of her defensive options. I grew up playing Brawl, so it was a relatively easy transition for me.

My secondary would be :jigglypuffmelee: because I love watching HungryBox play.

skywak3r

Smash Rookie
It depends what game I'm playing. I can only use emulators like Dolphin and potentially Cemu to play Smash 4, so I only play Melee and Brawl. If I'm playing Melee, it's Link. I like his balance of speed and power and he has pretty low launch in that game.

Last edited:

_Ne0N_

Smash Cadet
I main Marth because his speed, movement, and gracefulness is amazing in my opinion and all the amazing things he can do is great and he was a perfect match for me

Ryuphoton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuphoton
3DS FC
2552-4567-9907
I picked Luigi because 3 reasons. 1, I played him in 64. 2, his combo game really appealed to me and his wavedash shenanigans I think are fun. And 3, his playstyle fits with my philosophy on how I play smash, at least melee.

Gaona

Smash Rookie
I really like to use :4mario:. Since using his cape to attack feels like :foxmelee:'s shine in Melee. Although come to think of it, Mario feels like Fox because you can rack up a lot of percent. But getting the kill depends on hard reads. It makes the battle much more intense.:falcomelee: is my melee main because of how great it feels to get the dair. :4marth:seals the cracks in my game when I can't beat the match up.

Last edited:

Made2Order

Smash Rookie
Ganondorf. :ganondorfmelee: After watching the competitive scene for a few years, seeing players like Bizzarro and n0ne use ganon, I fell in love. His play style speaks to me, doesn't matter how many times I get hit, if I can sink that fair or dair its all worth it/ I never cared he wasn't the best character he is just the most fun to play for me. And lets be honest, anyone who mains ganon does it for them juicy stomps and hefty fairs/bairs

Last edited:

XenoFalcon95

Smash Cadet
Sheik cause I tend to play very defensivley. I also find tech chasing spacies off dthrow and needle edgeguards super fun.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Ganondorf. :ganondorfmelee: After watching the competitive scene for a few years, seeing players like Bizzarro and n0ne use ganon, I fell in love. His play style speaks to me, doesn't matter how many times I get hit, if I can sink that fair or dair its all worth it/ I never cared he wasn't the best character he is just the most fun to play for me. And lets be honest, anyone who mains ganon does it for them juicy stomps and hefty fairs/bairs
Hell Yeah. I know I'll never be top 10 in yhe world and don't care. Being power ranked or beating power ranked players and never losing in r1 pools at a national is good enough for me. Plus Ganon mains are THA HOMEEEEZZ

You should stop by the G boards and read my techchasing guide and the thread "the golden nuggets of the Ganon boards"

Last edited:

NASA1998

Smash Rookie
I main Luigi because I like to be creative. It feels hard to make big strides in making your own playstyle when so many people play Fox, Falcon, and Marth. Luigi I believe is largely underestimated and I love playing in my group of friends (who all main characters higher than Luigi on the tier list) and showing what new things I've figured out.

I tried to main Luigi along with Samus and ICs (I called it the Jank Triforce, credit to some Youtube comment) but there was one moment where I did a tech chase into fireball reset shoryuken with Luigi that cemented him as my main once and for all. He's just so much fun to play.

Zhulong

Smash Rookie
Falco - I mained Link around 2004 for a few years as a casual player. When I returned to the game a few months ago and went through the process of unlocking everything, I found myself feeling most comfortable with Falco so I decided to train with him for the foreseeable future.

mariogamer

Smash Rookie
:marthmelee: and maybe :falconmelee:, because captain falcon is so......... Funny? Also marth, basically Fair Fair Dair is my life goal :)

Snd maybe when I'll get used to the game, :luigimelee:, cause his the forgotten brother but is in reality high tier :joyful:.

Last edited:

EmpireCrusher203

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-7161-9170
I mained Sheik because I thought it was would be an easy transition from Sm4sh, where at the time I mained Sheik. Turns out the two are very different with Melee Sheik being super fun. Sm4sh Sheik is fun too, but nothing makes me happier than grinding tech skill as Sheik. I tried maining Ice Climbers, but I knew that led to the dark side and I would have several issues in the future. I originally tried maining Falco but he just seemed so slow. Nowadays I realize how fast he actually is but it don't matter anyway cuz I'm stuck on Sheik and litteraly have mental blocks against other characters. Like I can wavedash perfectly with Sheik all day long, but the timing is so different on Marth it just doesn't work. Sheik's Down throw follow ups are reminiscent of my early Sm4sh days when I mained Lucas. Sheik's fair is strong asf, her edgeguarding capability is amazing, and I love her bait and punish playstyle. I grew up with Sheik, and I don't plan on changing anytime soon.

JFB (JurgaBurgaFlintines)

Smash Apprentice
I main Marth because he's my favorite character to play. Even as a casual player I would always go back to playing Marth after switching off to other characters. When I found out that he was a top-tier character later on, it gave me more of a reason to play Marth. My favorite thing about Marth is the movement. It looks so damn cool and is satisfying to do.

Maza_1217

Smash Rookie
Originally Fox, simply because he's the best character in the game. Finally realized that he doesn't really mesh with my campy/bait-heavy playstyle, so I switched to Falco, because best projectile in the game and 0-death punishes. Lately I'm considering switching to Sheik, because every time I die to his garbage recovery I lose a piece of myself.

Top Bottom