• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who Is Your Favorite Ultimate Character?

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Inkling has become my #2. Which is sad, because I've been playing Peach (and by extension Daisy) way longer. That said, it's a happy accident that after Dorf my top fighters are my best Nintendo girls.

:ultinkling::ultdaisy:

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Gotta admit that I'm happy Daisy's in the game even though I'm not the biggest Mario fan because I always thought she had potential to become as big a star as Bandana Dee. I'm also having fun with Incinaroar.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Its a toss up between Dark-Pit and Yoshi.
I also enjoy Greninja, Palutena, Link, Meta Knight, Mii Swordfighter, Sonic, and Falco.

I think the characters in this game are overall better designed. On top of also having all characters from the past to present and it makes total sense that this is the most characters you've liked using. Same for me.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
The big wah himself.
Nothing feels better than killing my opponent by farting on them.

Astroking112

Smash Cadet
Pac-Man. I don't know what it is about him, but somehow all of his physics just click in my head and I have a ton of fun setting up crazy traps and making stupid plans as him.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
I play :ultpokemontrainer: and :ultcharizard: pretty much exclusively. I immediately wanted to gripe about them getting rid of rock smash but I managed to get into elite smash before getting a touch bored and switching to :ultludwig:. Can't win as much but it's satisfying when I do.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
I play :ultpokemontrainer: and :ultcharizard: pretty much exclusively. I immediately wanted to gripe about them getting rid of rock smash but I managed to get into elite smash before getting a touch bored and switching to :ultludwig:. Can't win as much but it's satisfying when I do.
I hope in the future they decide to create additional character slots just for each of the 3 pokemon. That way Pokemon Trainer is still an option but if you really only want to play as one of the pokemon you can do that. And as an added bonus, each gets a new down special move and Charizard gets his Rock Smash back.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
I hope in the future they decide to create additional character slots just for each of the 3 pokemon. That way Pokemon Trainer is still an option but if you really only want to play as one of the pokemon you can do that. And as an added bonus, each gets a new down special move and Charizard gets his Rock Smash back.
I mean I get it. The key with pokemon trainer is using each pokemon interchangeably and each has their own specialties. :ultsquirtle: is a damage racker with several easy to use combos but is super light and has very few kill options. :ultivysaur: specializes in ranged fighting and has a tether grab but it's recovery is unpredictable and it's smashes are easily telegraphed. :ultcharizard: is the heavy hitter having a plethora of kill moves and excellent ledge guarding abilities but he can't set those kills up forcing him to fish for an up grab kill shot which might not work or hoping that one of his moves connects that can seal the stock. His damage racking is awful and for some reason they seem to have nerfed the super armor on his fly making it easier to swat him out of the air if he's at the end of his fly move.....

Last edited:

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
I mean I get it. The key with pokemon trainer is using each pokemon interchangeably and each has their own specialties. :ultsquirtle: is a damage racker with several easy to use combos but is super light and has very few kill options. :ultivysaur: specializes in ranged fighting and has a tether grab but it's recovery is unpredictable and it's smashes are easily telegraphed. :ultcharizard: is the heavy hitter having a plethora of kill moves and excellent ledge guarding abilities but he can't set those kills up forcing him to fish for an up grab kill shot which might not work or hoping that one of his moves connects that can seal the stock. His damage racking is awful and for some reason they seem to have nerfed the super armor on his fly making it easier to swat him out of the air if he's at the end of his fly move.....
Yes, they all serve there rolls and make for a fairly unique character, particularly in Smash Ultimate where every other character who could transform before can't anymore. Each one compliments each other fairly well.
If they were to be their own separate characters then their new down special could help somewhat cover their weaknesses. Squirtle could perhaps use 'Bubble' to create a tight window to land a KO move. Ivysaur could possibly use what was given to it in Project M in the form of Solar Beam which would both work as a mix up tool for offense and recovery.

Either way, its nice to have all those pokemon playable again.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Interchangeable characters with different roles was already attempted with Zelda and Sheik. The intended design was to rack up damage with Sheik and finish as Zelda. Good in theory, but in practice players just liked one character or the other and no one played both together.

I don't know why that would be any less true with Pokemon Trainer. I think once the nostalgia of him/her being back in the game wears off people will gradually begin to realize this. "Wait a minute, I only actually like playing as one of these three characters."

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Interchangeable characters with different roles was already attempted with Zelda and Sheik. The intended design was to rack up damage with Sheik and finish as Zelda. Good in theory, but in practice players just liked one character or the other and no one played both together.

I don't know why that would be any less true with Pokemon Trainer. I think once the nostalgia of him/her being back in the game wears off people will gradually begin to realize this. "Wait a minute, I only actually like playing as one of these three characters."
Agreed, people dual main constantly but when that's the entire concept of a character and THEN you have three characters who are fundamentally different? It just makes things needlessly complicated.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Captain Falcon :ultfalcon:, same with every Smash game really even though I've strayed at times for other mains.. I always end up back with the Cap'n, though. Something about wildly reckless offstage knees, blast zone falcon punches, needless offstage DAirs and disrespectful use of command grabs resonates with me on a deep, spiritual level as it does with every Falcon memelord I presume. I've played Falcon for over a decade at this point, and despite his many differences and quirks across the Smash games I'm never as comfortable as I am when playing him. There's also something.. different, to playing Falcon.. something far more fun and far less stressful than other characters.

Don't mess with the Cap'n, lest you end up taking a knee.

Last edited:

LINK MAIN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Carter
Welp, I have finally found the right character for me, I have dropped every character I said at the beginning of the thread recently, and have chosen Ice Climbers to be my only character, as I have been playing them since February

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
My favorite Ultimate character is Yoshi. :ultyoshi: Yoshi is also my favorite video game character in general.

My second-favorite characters in Ultimate are Pikachu, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, Bowser, Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings, and King K. Rool.
:ultpikachu: :ultsquirtle: :ultivysaur: :ultcharizard: :ultbowser: :ultbowserjr: :ultkrool:
My third-favorite characters in Ultimate are Sonic, Lucario, Incineroar, and Ridley. :ultsonic: :ultlucario: :ultincineroar: :ultridley:

Zinith and I do love our fellow reptiles.
So do I. In fact, my main and all of my secondaries (except Pikachu) are reptiles.

Last edited:

KoMallow

Smash Cadet
Super Smash Bros Ultimate Main: :ulticeclimbers:

The Ice Climbers will always be my all time favorite character in Super Smash Bros and in classic franchises in general. I love their game series and been using them since Melee. I think their Ultimate version is best adaptation of them in terms of how fun they are and balanced. They are everything I want in a character when playing fighting games: They are complex, unorthodox / unique, and stylish

** ( I really don't care that much for desyncs but learning them is a fun and challenging experience that can only open new doors in battle ) **

Overall, I all them and their series. There is never a dull moment when I am using them. I actually really want to enter tournaments for this game as my competitive interested extended from Super Smash Bros for Wii U / 3DS.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate Secondary: :ultwiifittrainer:

Wii Fit Trainer is weird in the best ways possible and I love it. When Ice Climbers were removed in Super Smash Bros Wii U / 3DS, I went through a mini character crisis. I just couldn't settle down anyone and I feel like it impacted not only my skills at the game, but also my enjoyment. I have a hard time picking up more than 3 characters at a time. It was the main reason why I kept cutting people I enjoyed a lot in that game

** ( I feel like I have be really good with a character before I juggle more and I never felt that feeling with soo many I used ) **

When I saw Wii Fit Trainer's trailer, I was shocked. She's such a well known character yes but not one you expect to have a move list so versatile. I thought she was a great addition, but I had no intentions of using her at the time, I gave everyone a shot on the roster and then I picked her and never stopped. I love using her header in ways to create mix-ups, pressure, and keep away ( especially cancels ). I like her wonky hitboxes at time because they can be useful. I lost a lot during my Super Smash Bros 4 days in order to get better with her and it's a decision I never regretted. Now I love both : )

Super Smash Bros Ultimate Secondary: :ultjigglypuff:

I honestly rarely used Jigglypuff back in my Melee days but I admit I had interest in her. She was just overshadowed by Ice Climbers at the time. Then, again in Super Smash Bros Brawl, she was again overlooked by me. I used her a bit more here actually despite me sticking to the Ice Climbers as my main. To be completely honest, I am not in anyway a Pokémon fan. I like watching the show at times with my nephew and I love Jigglypuff overall, but other than I really don't pay much attention to them in general.

** ( However, Jigglypuff is really fun to use and fits right up my ally as well in terms of gameplay ) **

I love how she works. She is a character that that excels in aerial combat: ( to pressure, to apply mix- ups, to gimp ). I always had issues when it comes to controlling jumping attacks in fighters but Jigglypuff essential encourages it so I am happy when using her being able to weave in to whiff and punish. I use her least of the three characters but I still want to improve with her and she is just fun character to use.

Grie

Smash Apprentice
:ultlucina:, I owe a lot to this character. Got me into fire emblem, got me to care about smash to the extent that I do today. I also really like the character itself and her play style is one that I old a lot of respect to. It’s gonna be hard to see her go if she’s ever cut. :ultridley: Is in a similar case, only with metroid.

GhostM

Phantom
For me it’s Captain Falcon :ultfalcon: because he’s a character that fits my play style perfectly, an aggressive character that can delete people off of openings and hard reads. Something about his move set and combo game is what got me hooked to this character, even way back in Melee. Going offstage to knee people or falcon punch them, or just combining your opponents to the finishing touch with a knee is highly satisfying.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
Back and forth between :ultjoker: and :ultbayonetta: as my number one.

Zelda, Peach, Bowser, and Pikachu are fun too.

Last edited:

Anomika

Smash Apprentice
Mains: :ultfox: is what I use the most, but I think some secondaries can also be the contenders to be my mains too. My only complaints about him are bad endurance and somewhat inconsistent down aerial and up aerial. Landing multiple up aerials and sounds it makes, up smash (especially during Finishing Zoom), getting good punishes from parries, frame traps, jab locks, doing tomahawk grabs, tech chase or ledge getup reads are probably the most satisfying things to achieve even though it's practically impossible to react online, and I'm still somewhat new to the game, so I'm going to stick with him because he can help me learn the fundamentals while also not being sluggish and being able to punish things some other fighters can't do because of great mobility and frame data. For some reason I become a parry master when playing with him. Also for some reason I both like and dislike this Fox's design. His fur and nose look kinda awkward to look at (and of the reasons why I find "Returning to base" victory screen look bad), but he has great costume, including his alternative ones (I'm not that big of a fan of Wolf one though), and then he has one of the coolest victory poses (Especially the "triumphant", back towards the screen one). Watching him in competitive is also hype for me.

I'll be honest though: I don't know how enjoyable the matches against him would be (with any fighter). I don't think he is overpowered but his advantage state is insane and can vortex around you for days. And... then he gets KOd offstage at like 80%. LOL

Secondaries: :ultmario::ultlucina::ultjoker:

What these make up for Fox's weaknesses is mainly the edgeguard potential, with Mario and Joker also having combo and / or KO throws (but the former doesn't matter too much, it's just a small bonus).

Mario: he is basically a well rounded Fox for me, with great frame data and balanced moveset and he also has safer KOing options. He kinda lacks on the grounded mobility, which makes approaching and punishing feel awkward. Also since I'm so much used to Fire Fox's long distance, I SD with Mario more often than I should because I'm afraid of wasting my double jump and overestimating the distance of his Super Jump Punch. Ladder combos and landing up aerial to forward aerial, while not a big fan of being a victim of those, I ain't even mad when that happens. And those combos are very hype to watch in competitive.

Lucina: she is not the most fun character to play with since she is so straightforward, but I think people don't give enough credit for her. Edgeguards, Shield Breaker or strong hit Dolphin Slash are probably the most satisfying things to do with her. SDs with her also happen but not as much as with Mario.

Joker: while he has bad OoS options, it makes up for his "looking cool" (get it?) aesthetics, moves and combo game being unique (even though he's the weakest in terms of combo game for me at this point of time), and his special moves are also satisfying, from a finger snap Eiha to a rainstorm Gun to Grappling Hook and the attention to detail for pretty much everything, I really like playing with him, even though playing against him in dittos (and maybe in general) is kinda boring. He also one of the best victory screens, period (aside from Fox's "triumphant" victory pose).

Sometimes::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultmarth::ultluigi::ultpalutena::ultpit::ultroy:

Falco is one of the fighters I've been using more recently. His combo game is pretty satisfying and has one of the best taunts. Now if only his moves were more consistent. I miss Fox's up smash when playing with him not because of the power, but because of the reliability. Falco's is pretty bad. His mobility is also lacking but it makes up for his great jumps.

Wolf is basically a mix of both Fox and Falco. His design is cool and has great effects with claw attacks. His recovery leaves something to be desired but he's great overall.

Marth would replace my Lucina if his sourspots weren't so goddamn weak. I don't even mind tipper moves being hard to land (even though the sound and knockback make up for it), I just want to KO with smash attacks at reasonable percentages. He also doesn't have as many combos with sourspot either.

Luigi is definition of "Sh**s and giggles" character for me. No, I'm not a fan of being a victim of or performing his infamous KO combo, but I like his expressions. It truly describes his nature of being a good-hearted coward that has some hidden strength inside. While I do think that his grounded Super Jump Punch sweetspot power is absurd, it sure is satisfying to land it and get a loud "PING!" and see the opponents flying. And I'll be honest: I'll only respect those Luigis who don't fish for annoying grabs just to get a KO combo (which there aren't many of those, sadly). Also since Luigi's Mansion 3 is one of my most anticipated games of the year, playing him with his new Poltergust makes the hype not die down.

Palutena: I'll be honest, I don't know why I play her. I guess it's because she's the closest thing to a waifu and she has cute taunts and idle poses.

Pit: Sometimes even being simple can be fun. I like the versatility and looks of his moves, like neutral aerial for the former and up tilt for the latter. His voice clips are definitely something else. I love the voices he makes when he does smash attacks, they're soooo funny to me, and his Star KO scream is probably the best in the game.

Roy: He is our boy! Need I say more!? (buff his recovery please :'( )

Last edited:

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
Isabelle, she cute, she doggo, hecc yeah.

Oh and Ness, obviously.

...And also every character on the roster, because i can't make up my mind.

ze9

Smash Ace
:ultlucas: is probably the character I have the deepest emotional connection with. Mother 3 blowed me away, and I just love his playstyle in Smash. Seeing him again in Smash 4 after he was cut is probably my happiest Smash memory. I've played as Lucas for ar ungodly amount of hours in Smash 4, and I can't seem to put him down in Ultimate, too.
:ultness: comes close, for similar reasons. I just feel like I'm a little better with Lucas, though.
:ultridley:is another big one (heh). He's been my most wanted character for 10 years straight. He's kinda weird, I struggled a bit to adapt to him, but now I think I play a pretty good Ridley (well, low Elite Smash level). Playing as Ridley really makes you feel like a ferocious but calculating beast. His specials are a bit slow, but they hit incredibly hard and they're very satisfying to land. The tail stab is amazing. I'm so happy that I finally got to play as my purple space dragon.
:ultdiddy:is great, too. I didn't play him in Smash 4, dunno why, I found him a bit weird. Now he's great, the last buffs have really benefitted him. Of course me and Diddy go a long way, he was maybe my favorite character back when I was a kid and I played on my Nintendo 64. He's really fun in Smash too. Just a sly little treacherous monkey. Hope we get Dixie someday, too. I love DKC.

Honorable mentions: :ultkrool::ultpiranha::ultcloud::ultzelda::ultsimon::ultisabelle::ultmegaman::ultpacman:

I feel like if they're really getting in, Banjo & Kazooie will trump everyone, though

Top Bottom