• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who Is Your Favorite Ultimate Character?

LINK MAIN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Carter
Still a good list of characters you got, especially wanting to use Chrom and Pichu
Thanks, same to yours. I've always liked Link and Chrom/Roy better because #1. Link requires thought with bomb placements and strings and #2. Chrom/Roy just fell so free with their strings, they serve as a nice break from Link. Pichu just feels fun and his thunder confirms are so satisfying.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Thanks, same to yours. I've always liked Link and Chrom/Roy better because #1. Link requires thought with bomb placements and strings and #2. Chrom/Roy just fell so free with their strings, they serve as a nice break from Link. Pichu just feels fun and his thunder confirms are so satisfying.
No lie, I expected Chrom and Pichu to be bad due to the small amount of gameplay they had...then the game came out and proved me wrong

LINK MAIN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Carter
No lie, I expected Chrom and Pichu to be bad due to the small amount of gameplay they had...then the game came out and proved me wrong
I totally agree, I thought Chrom would be trash because of that awful recovery, but then aethercide became a thing. I thought Pichu would be bad because Melee, literally just Melee. I thought he would just be the same old joke character

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I totally agree, I thought Chrom would be trash because of that awful recovery, but then aethercide became a thing. I thought Pichu would be bad because Melee, literally just Melee. I thought he would just be the same old joke character
Glad they proved us and many others wrong

LINK MAIN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Carter
Glad they proved us and many others wrong
Yeah, nice little surprise with Pichu, I never thought of playing Pichu before SSBU came out, and then I saw Alpharad's video, and then I got the game with savings, and Link and my other secondaries just clicked

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Yeah, nice little surprise with Pichu, I never thought of playing Pichu before SSBU came out, and then I saw Alpharad's video, and then I got the game with savings, and Link and my other secondaries just clicked
Any Link clicks with somebody

LINK MAIN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Carter
Excluding For Glory players since they don’t really play any of the Links correctly
That really annoys me, just spamming up-smash, forward-smash, and projectiles. At least use his good moves like nair, bair, down b, fast fall dair, side b for pressure, and u-air to poke through platforms. In short, for glory Links suck

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
That really annoys me, just spamming up-smash, forward-smash, and projectiles. At least use his good moves like nair, bair, down b, fast fall dair, side b for pressure, and u-air to poke through platforms. In short, for glory Links suck
That’s exactly how I feel...now we got Online Belmonts running around

Aussie1024

"Stow your fear. It's now or never!"
Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
Thanks, appreciate it, I've just always been more interested in Link, I'm the same with Young Link, I only have like 60 KOs with him
Try to lab with him though. If the curiosity arises you to do it, I would go for it. Since he has great speed I was already interested in using him. Plus spacing with the projectiles looks great to do with that added speed. He seems to have great combo potential with that speed thrown in there.

LINK MAIN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Carter
Try to lab with him though. If the curiosity arises you to do it, I would go for it. Since he has great speed I was already interested in using him. Plus spacing with the projectiles looks great to do with that added speed. He seems to have great combo potential with that speed thrown in there.
I'll consider it, seems like a good use of my time

Tokyo Cloud

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1692-5700-5908
For newcomers it's definitely Simon and Richter Belmont, though I have yet to actually use them.

For veterans then it's Cloud, simply cause I love FF and I really loved his reveal trailer, so I was happy when he made a return. Of course the FE characters are up there for me in favorites too.

LINK MAIN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Carter
Chrom is less good now, I can't cheese stocks on legend spirits on the spirit board :(
Edit: this thread died
Edit 2: any people in thr Plant Gang?

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Early on I played a ton of Ridley. With him being the first character I unlocked in Elite Smash. I’ve also jumped around with Inkling, Young Link, Pokémon Trainer, the Belmonts, as well as some of my Smash 4 mains - Bowser Jr., Olimar, Cloud, Roy, Little Mac, Rosa, Ness, Mario, etc.

I’m really digging Piranha Plant. I could literally play Plant dittos with my friends for hours. He’s just so wacky and unique, but still feels really clean and fluid. I do wish that there was less lag on some of his aerials. Maybe then I would actually be maining him.

Long story short - I’m horrible at choosing a main. For me, literally the best part of Smash is the sheer variety of characters. How on Earth am I supposed to pick only one to git gud with?

:ultbowserjr::ultridley::ultyounglink::ultmario::ultpiranha: are probably my favs right now. But that is more than subject to change. Especially with all the DLC on the way.
Edit: These are my dudes currently. Joker and Bowser Jr. have been my most played lately.
B18CB383-B844-43E6-B908-EE73F25D7B0C.png

Last edited:

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Wario is my official main. Again. But I want to get good with Olimar, and potentially one of the five upcoming characters, already super excited for Joker.
I'm just great at playing Wario though, he's definitely my go to. I love his combos (forward air is beautiful), how fast he is, his improved moves (bite is crazy now!), his new moves (forward tilt is great), his returning shoulder bash!
And I also just really like his character. Along with some of the characters from Bayonetta and Kid Icarus, I'd say Wario is definitely one of my favourite game characters, his personality is great. So are his platforming games, which is why I always go with his normal Wario Land costume.

LINK MAIN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Carter
Love the outlook of having many secondaries, I had that outlook in Sm4sh, and it's great to see someone carry that into ultimate
Early on I played a ton of Ridley. With him being the first character I unlocked in Elite Smash. I’ve also jumped around with Inkling, Young Link, Pokémon Trainer, the Belmonts, as well as some of my Smash 4 mains - Bowser Jr., Olimar, Cloud, Roy, Little Mac, Rosa, Ness, Mario, etc.

I’m really digging Piranha Plant. I could literally play Plant dittos with my friends for hours. He’s just so wacky and unique, but still feels really clean and fluid. I do wish that there was less lag on some of his aerials. Maybe then I would actually be maining him.

Long story short - I’m horrible at choosing a main. For me, literally the best part of Smash is the sheer variety of characters. How on Earth am I supposed to pick only one to git gud with?

:ultbowserjr::ultridley::ultyounglink::ultmario::ultpiranha: are probably my favs right now. But that is more than subject to change. Especially with all the DLC on the way.
Love the outlook of having many secondaries, I had that outlook in Sm4sh, and it's great to see someone carry that into ultimate

saiyan.

Feint - Snake Eyes
Top 5:
:ultfalcon:
:ultryu:
:ultken:
:ultganondorf:
:ultyounglink:
I wish that Ryu was on par with sm4sh Ryu but besides that I really enjoy this roster, I can’t stand heavies but Ganon feels so good in this game I can’t not play him. CF is my baby and YL is a blast to play.

LINK MAIN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Carter

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Here is my top 10

:ultbowser:: My smash main, he's a heavy hitter, with several deadly moves that gets the job done. This is how I unlocked a good chunk of fighters that I lost to before. Also his final smash is great.

:ultmetaknight:: Deadly combos, cool voice and great recovery. And a great final smash. He also has some of the best costumes (mainly Dark Meta Knight)
:ultgreninja:: One of the best Meteor Smashes (which makes dealing with Mater Hand easier). Also some cool moves.

:ultpikachu:: Easy to use with some power. I often use Pikachu Libre in my matches (as with Dark Meta Knight)

:ultincineroar:: Another heavy hitter, with several unique moves to make it different from the other Pokémon. It also has one of the best final smashes, plus it's smash attacks are fun.

:ultinkling:: She's cute, yet powerful, with several moves to send opponents flying. I often use female Inkling in fights, and her side special gets the job done.

:ultmario:: Another easy character with some powerful moves. Plus he now gives you the thumbs up for his up taunt.

:ultpeach: and :ultdaisy:: They have some powerful moves, plus their toads are now willing to take down attackers, and gang up with Peach and Daisy to throw opponents. Also both are cute.

:ultolimar:: Despite not having much damaging specials, he and the pikmin make up for it by being powerful and fun to use

:ultwolf:: He is back and ready to fight. He has some deadly attacks, cool voice and a deadly final smash. He also has one of the best classic modes (After all, everyone is here)

Honorable Mentions: :ultrosalina::ultisabelle::ultkirby::ultmewtwo::ultkrool::ultkingdedede::ultmegaman::ultsonic::ultpichu: and :ultpiranha:

LINK MAIN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Carter
Here is my top 10

:ultbowser:: My smash main, he's a heavy hitter, with several deadly moves that gets the job done. This is how I unlocked a good chunk of fighters that I lost to before. Also his final smash is great.

:ultmetaknight:: Deadly combos, cool voice and great recovery. And a great final smash. He also has some of the best costumes (mainly Dark Meta Knight)
:ultgreninja:: One of the best Meteor Smashes (which makes dealing with Mater Hand easier). Also some cool moves.

:ultpikachu:: Easy to use with some power. I often use Pikachu Libre in my matches (as with Dark Meta Knight)

:ultincineroar:: Another heavy hitter, with several unique moves to make it different from the other Pokémon. It also has one of the best final smashes, plus it's smash attacks are fun.

:ultinkling:: She's cute, yet powerful, with several moves to send opponents flying. I often use female Inkling in fights, and her side special gets the job done.

:ultmario:: Another easy character with some powerful moves. Plus he now gives you the thumbs up for his up taunt.

:ultpeach: and :ultdaisy:: They have some powerful moves, plus their toads are now willing to take down attackers, and gang up with Peach and Daisy to throw opponents. Also both are cute.

:ultolimar:: Despite not having much damaging specials, he and the pikmin make up for it by being powerful and fun to use

:ultwolf:: He is back and ready to fight. He has some deadly attacks, cool voice and a deadly final smash. He also has one of the best classic modes (After all, everyone is here)

Honorable Mentions: :ultrosalina::ultisabelle::ultkirby::ultmewtwo::ultkrool::ultkingdedede::ultmegaman::ultsonic::ultpichu: and :ultpiranha:
Amazing picks, I enjoy every one of these characters

If this thread isn't dead then I don't know what is

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
MY choice should be pretty darn obvious. Link is sick AF in this game. WAY better than any other version of Link from any other official Smash title. (PM doesn't count).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqz0jKZ6YYg

That should explain my reasoning for choosing Link.

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Isn't this what the "Ultimate Main" box is for?

Eh, not like I haven't always been a Dorf main. Now I just got a boss sword... which I had reservations about, but I've come to the conclusion that he's better off for it. Honestly, I'm really not partial to the Ocarina Dorf. I don't mind that he's back, but I liked the Twilight design just as much. He looked... dare I say, noble?

Last edited:

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
Here’s my top 10 favorite characters (1 and 2 being my mains):

1.:ultyoshi: Love him as a character and love him as a fighter. There is not much more too it than that. There is no fighter in Ultimate that I find more fun, satisfying, and smooth to play as than this cute little green dinosaur. Yoshi is awesome!

2. :ultpalutena: I have actually used Palutena since 4 because I liked her play style and I LOVE her up-smash. Even with her customs gone, she is still one of my favorite characters to use because of her style, specials, and personality. Now I really want to play Kid Icarus Uprising. I find it funny because despite having Palutena as one of my mains, I never use either one of the Pits in any Smash game.

3. :ultpacman: I was very scared that Pac-Man was going to get cut. I’m glad he didn’t, and he is still super fun to use. Pac-Man has my favorite specials as well as some of my favorite Smash attacks in Ultimate. I am starting to figure out how to do some of his combos and they are pretty crazy to pull off!

4. :ultsimon: His whip is just so satisfying to use, and his projectiles are very useful. Nothing feels better than grabbing the ledge with the whip. Easily my favorite Ultimate newcomer and now I want to pick a Castlevania game up!

5. :ultinkling: I didn’t like her at first, but the more I used her, the more the Inkling grew on me. It is funny because I have no desire to ever play Splatoon. I honestly do not understand why this character gets so much hate. She is not a very easy character to master, and she is a lot more fun and stylish to watch than most top tiers.

6. :ultcorrinf: One of only two Fire Emblem characters I like, the other being Robin. Despite being nerfed, I still like Corrin’s style, dragon transformation, and unique specials. That counter is still glorious. Easily one of the most underrated characters in Ultimate.

7. :ultsnake: I am terrible with Snake, but I love using him in Ultimate. I couldn’t get into him in Brawl, but he quickly became one of my favorites in Ultimate because his down smash is much better, and his bombs are so fun to use. I feel like I am the star of an action movie when I play as Snake.

8.:ultsheik: The sad thing about this is that I never even touched Sheik in 4. It wasn’t until Ultimate when I started using her, where she was nerfed to high heaven. I picked her up during World of Light and I have had so much fun using her. Her combos are pretty crazy, and her side and down specials are very cool. If she gets buffed in future updates, she could be in the top five.

9. :ultkirby: Kirby will always be my favorite Nintendo character of all time. He is the true mascot of Smash and he was my main in Melee and Brawl. He may not be my main in Ultimate, but he will always have a special place in my heart.

10. :ultwiifittrainer: I have recently been using the Wii Fit Trainer a lot and I find her so much fun to play as, she could go up on this list later on. I didn’t really care for her that much in 4, but I think the faster speed in Ultimate really helped this character shine. Her combos and specials are great and there is not a character that plays like the Wii Fit Trainer. Also, her quotes are gold in my opinion. I have even gotten to the point where some of my friends groan when I pick her because they say that I am good with her! She is another extremely underrated character who deserves more love.

Other characters that I really like to use, but couldn’t make the list:

:ultkingdedede::ultzss::ultganondorf::ultpiranha::ultpichu::ultrobinf::ultfalcon::ultcloud::ultridley::ultmegaman::ultpokemontrainerf::ultlink:

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I just don't think I can get used to the bombs and lack of hookshot. That said, I think I still like this Link better than Toon Link, at least.

D

Deleted member

I now use Palutena as she's a very versatile character just like Mr. Game & Watch was in previous games, with multiple kill options, combo tools, or moves to get the opponent away from you.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Since everyone is making Top 10 lists:

1: :ultdiddy: My forever main, even though it's way harder now he's no longer Top Tier as in the other two games he was in. I'm having fun to relearn this character and proving myself and everyone that despite the nerfs, he's still a force to be reckoned with. I also love his speedy trickster playstyle and how you constantly are playing mindgames with your opponent. In general, just everything I want for a main character, despite secretly wanting buffs for him.

2: :ultdk: This character has always been one of my most used ones. I just love how dominant his advantage state is and the sheer speed combined with raw power. Grabs are also rewarding, and landing KOs this easy is just plain fun, especially since I don't have that with Diddy. The contrast between the two Kongs keep them interessting to play both.

3: :ultmewtwo: Lots of nerfs, yet he remains powerful and technical. You always gotta read and predict your opponent a lot. It's more of a challenge now, but still one I'm willing to take. Quite combo based still, and he really teaches you when to be careful and when to be aggresive.

4: :ultike: He's crazy good this time! And my long hours of playing him starts to pay off. That new U Air is awesome, and the fact he can play his intended playstyle finally is something I appriciate. It's the same character as ever, but now with combos and actual stage control. I am not yet as good with him as I want to, but he's probably gonna be played more in the future if he isn't nerfed in the 3.0 patch and if the others aren't buffed.

5: :ultlucina: I liked her playstyle a lot in Smash 4, and once I got to play Awakening, I loved this character even more. Such a well written character, no wonder she was always so popular. Like everybody else, she's one of my effective secondary characters. But if she remains so dominant, she might be played more in the future past (that one you'll only get if you played Awakening).

6: :ultkrool: He's just a fun character. The trickery stuff of Diddy combined with heavy weight status of DK, and fun gimmicks to work with. Shame he was nerfed so badly. I likely will remain to play him, but as I said, just for fun and nothing serious.

7: :ultlink: I loved Breath of the Wild, and this new Link is improved so much.. how can't I play him? I always had a pocket Link. And the other smaller Links don't really work that well for me anymore. Or at least, Young Link doesn't, and Toon Link is still effective for me but lacks the things I find in this Link. Anyway, he's a blast to play this time around.

8: :ultness: Ahh Ness, luckily you remained so faithful to your other Smash appearances, and seems to be slightly improved even. Haven't played the psychic wonderkid in a while, but I can't "unlearn" his playstyle when I haven't touched him for a while, and that's good. Especially for the long run.

9: :ultchrom: Working on this character currently. He's just.. very explosive and matches really well in the playstyle I have discovered for all the other characters I play. He's a perfect blend, and easy to pick up and play. I also legitimately like him after playing Awakening and anticipate his entry in Smash before he got confirmed. Might become one of my "Top Tier mains" togheter with his daughter and Ike.

10: :ultganondorf::ultsamus::ultsheik::ulttoonlink: Am basically looking which of these am gonna invest more time in as the meta progresses.

Characters I'm still interessted in:

:ultpichu:: Powerful and explosive, fast and combo-based. Yes please. I could potentially make him a secondary. Played him for fun in Melee, and always wanted to pick up Pikachu again after Smash 64 but Pikachu never really connected with me anymore.
:ultpikachu:: Read above. Pikachu only has the benefits of being more safe and harder to kill.
:ultgreninja:: Greninja has a lot of the characteristics am looking for in a main, but he controls so slippery and his moves are hard to learn. Basically, he's too demanding for me currently.
:ultpokemontrainer:: I need to learn 3 characters in order to play the Pokemon Trainer. I played Charizard for fun in Smash 4, and was quite effective with him, and Squirtle comes in pretty easy. Might look into this interessting character more.
:ultroy:: Chrom, but harder to learn. Like Greninja, I might not really wanna explore him as deeply as I would need to in order to play him effectively.

CasualGamer

Smash Rookie
NNID
CasualGamer89
I absolutely did not expect to main K. Rool. I fully anticipated maining Sonic once again, but something about K. Rool trailer, the pre-launch hype and all the chants of "too OP" made me gravitate toward him. And I always hated heavys. Flash forward to today, he's sitting comfortably in low tier and I haven't looked back. Banana slamma!

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
probably have had the most fun with inkling so far although little mac can be a really fun challenge from time to time, surprised i have not been liking sword users as much this time especially since most of the time they tend to be my favorites.

Last edited:

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
:ultpalutena: Definitely my favorite character to play in this game. Great Nair, F-Smash, Explosive Flame is fun as hell to trap opponents with, and she's just super fun to play. 10x better than Smash 4's Palutena which sucked.

I also play a ton of other characters that you can find in my signature.

Top Bottom