• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who Is Your Favorite Ultimate Character?

BloodyThumbsDown

Smash Rookie
I've actually really been digging the Belmonts. I think it's really cool that Nintendo decided Castlevania characters should be in the game and they just work beautifully with their moveset being reminiscent of the actual games.

LINK MAIN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Carter
I've actually really been digging the Belmonts. I think it's really cool that Nintendo decided Castlevania characters should be in the game and they just work beautifully with their moveset being reminiscent of the actual games.
Totally agree with you there

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
oh man.. my faves? i got more then 5 but my all time favorite and the 1 i perform the best online with is :ulttoonlink:

all others are :ultzelda: :ultdaisy: :ultpeach::ultdarkpit: :ultroy: :ultlucina: :ultyounglink: :ultpalutena:

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Ness :ultness: will be my favorite in every Smash game, because I love Earthbound, he’s my main, and he’s just cool. He’s been my favorite since 64 and he just got better and more fun to play in Ultimate. Some of my other favorites are :ultdiddy::ultfox::ultchrom: because they’re fun to play and I like their other games too. I love :ultshulk:as a character but I don’t play him. There are so many cool characters in this game

Last edited:

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
I've always viewed Ness as an awesome character, and looked up to people who played him well and mained him, but never thought he'd be a character I mained. I'm not sure what made me think this, I just never thought Ness would be a character I'd be able to do justice. As soon as I unlock him, I give him a try, him being the first character I played Classic with, and for the first time, I resonate with his moveset! Easily my favourite to play this time round. Nothing's more fun than landing a PK Thunder 2, and his air game is great.
Young Link's the first time Link has been fun, and he's really, really fun. So fast, really good aerials.
Mega Man's not the best with me, but he is really fun. Other than Leaf Shield, which I only kind of like, I love every single move he has. Weird that I didn't enjoy him in Smash 4. New engine can really change how it feels to play certain characters.
There's a bunch of other characters I love playing though, but I'd say that those three might be my favourites? Ridley, Pokémon Trainer, R.O.B., Marth, Chrom, Corrin, Ken, Duck Hunt, they're all fun too.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy Kong, which is quite obvious from the username and all. :ultdiddy:

Just love how he plays. He got a few nerfs, and now requires thought, analysis, precision and way quicker reflexes to play right. In a way, Diddy in Ultimate is really maximising my prior Diddy experience of Brawl and Smash 4, where he was a more straight forward character. I love that about him. Also Diddy is my favorite character ever from my favorite games ever... So that's easy to see why I pick him 99% of the time.

Others I play consistently are: :ultdk::ultmewtwo::ultike:. I used them in all games they are in, quite simple as that. Plus I like their character both in the source games, and how they play in Smash. All are powerhouses, but with unique strenghts. None of them play remotely alike, outside of making hard predictions, reads, and using range to your maximum. These are what I call my solid secondaries.

Characters I can also effectively play are; :ultlucina::ultchrom::ultness::ultlink::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultganondorf::ultsamus:.

Lucina and Ness are also secondaries from last game, and Ness stuck around as a character ever since Brawl and how I was overjoyed he came back and having played EarthBound finally (it never released in Europe before Wii U VC). Lucina is a great character, and came to love her after Awakening. Chrom is much the same, he plays like a mix of Ike and Lucina, and that feels awesome.

The Zelda characters and Samus I play because they are fun, and I love the home franchises. All the Links are basically easy to learn if you are familiar with the other versions, so I can't really pick a clear favorite even if I kinda lean towards Toon Link mostly because he's the least popular and the most "balanced" of all Links. Ganondorf and Samus are now also buffed enough to feel comfortable with them again. Last played both in Melee, now they feel great again.

Characters I wish I was better at playing them: :ultkrool::ultpikachu::ultpichu::ultlucario::ultpokemontrainer::ultfox::ultmarth::ultroy::ultcorrin:

:ultkrool:: Really wanted him in Smash, and now I got him and feel like his playstyle doesn't quite match mine. I choose him when I want to give my enemies a chance of sorts. Outside of projectile spam and abusing belly armor, I haven't quite got a solid control over him. Which is a shame.. But I do like fighting against him at the very least. Living up to 200%, it can feel like a boss battle defeating him, so I still enjoy his pressence.
:ultpikachu::ultpichu:: Pikachu was my first ever main, but unfortunately dropped him in Melee because of the changes and nerfs. Couldn't quite get a good grip on the character ever since, but am sort of improving now. Pichu is the same, and is different enough now to warrant his own time in the lab.
:ultlucario:: The character appeals to me greatly now that Aura is way more balanced. Yet I can't figure him out yet.
:ultpokemontrainer:: Loved playing as Charizard alone in Smash 4. Haven't yet felt comfortable enough with the other 2 to really pick the Trainer comfortably.
:ultfox:: Guy is wayyyy too precise for my tastes. Labbing him probably requires a new controller, and I don't really want that. Always had a sort of admiration for Fox mains. These guys are dedicated!
:ultmarth:: Am too used to Lucina and Ike to really bother with tippers. Can't get the tippers consistently, and don't really think it's worth the effort since Ultimate moves way faster. Lucina might be the superior pick anyways.
:ultroy:: Chrom is just superiour in every way. Which is a shame, as I like the Young Lion and Fire Emblem 6 greatly. Supported his return in Smash 4 as well. Yet, if I wanna hit people with a wooden stick, I rather pick Lucas.
:ultcorrin:: Fates was great. Never really felt much for Corrin's playstyle in Ultimate. Got adjusted to them well in 4, then all changed in Ultimate.

A character I dropped for reasons was :ultsheik:; she doesn't play the same anymore, and we didn't get a Impa Echo either. So I didn't really feel for playing Sheik anymore, even if she was a good secondary in Smash 4, and played her a lot in Brawl and Melee before.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Who should I learn next, I feel pretty competent with Link, Inkling, and Chrom, and am looking to learn a new secondary
Please be careful with double posting. If you have anything more to say and someone hasn't made a comment since your last post, please edit your initial post to add whatever else it is you wish to say. Double posting can lead to an infraction on this site.

Regarding the subject of this thread, Samus has been and will always be my favorite. She's not just my favorite Nintendo character, nor just my favorite video game character. She's my favorite fictional character. When the Nintendo 64 didn't have a Metroid game, but Super Smash Bros. allowed for me to play as Samus, I first played as her. She's always my go-to character in every Smash game.

Aside from all the Metroid characters I like playing as, I like to use Mario, Sheik, Inkling, Diddy Kong, Pit, Ness, and Roy. These characters are not characters I spend time or effort on, though.

Last edited:

LINK MAIN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Carter
Please be careful with double posting. If you have anything more to say and someone hasn't made a comment since your last post, please edit your initial post to add whatever else it is you wish to say. Double posting can lead to an infraction on this site.

Regarding the subject of this thread, Samus has been and will always be my favorite. She's not just my favorite Nintendo character, nor just my favorite video game character. She's my favorite fictional character. When the Nintendo 64 didn't have a Metroid game, but Super Smash Bros. allowed for me to play as Samus, I first played as her. She's always my go-to character in every Smash game.

Aside from all the Metroid characters I like playing as, I like to use Mario, Sheik, Inkling, Diddy Kong, Pit, Ness, and Roy. These characters are not characters I spend time or effort on, though.
Yeah, at the time of posting that, I was really giddy and excited to finally be on Smashboards, and I acknowledge now to not post unless I'm replying or something of the sort.
(That was within hours of me creating an account)
also, Dark Samus is my secondary, and I love playing Metroid games, nice favorites

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
We just talking characters, and not movesets?

:ultdaisy::ultinkling::ultlucina::ultsamus::ultken::ultisabelle::ultzelda::ultmewtwo:

We talking movesets?

:ultlucina::ultzelda::ultyounglink::ultrobin::ultcorrin::ultzss:

We talking ATs that should be characters?

LINK MAIN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Carter
While def not a top tier I really like how the belmonts play and since it isn't real fire I play richter
Makes sense, honestly Richter's at an advantage over Simon in the Olimar matchup because of that, and I really do like the Belmonts as characters

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
Aside from my favorites and mains my friend and I have been doing a lot of random battles because there are just so many characters and having a ton of fun. I really like playing pretty much everyone in this game

LINK MAIN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Carter
Aside from my favorites and mains my friend and I have been doing a lot of random battles because there are just so many characters and having a ton of fun. I really like playing pretty much everyone in this game
Me and my friend do just the same, we love playing random dittos

rlwrgh

Smash Apprentice
I've been doing a lot of all random with my kids and wife it's fun and less competition but also good as knowing more of the cast teaches me how to deal with them better.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
:ultwario: and :ultdoc: followed by :ultisabelle:,:ultchrom:, and :ultyounglink:.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Definitely :ultmegaman: and :ultzelda:, followed by :ultike:. It's really satisfying to win with the Blue Bomber given how outclassed he is by other characters with projectiles. You either have pixel-perfect dexterity with him and pull out infinites like it's just another Tuesday, or you improvise like I do and try to outplay your opponent with some good ol fashioned confusion-fu.

LINK MAIN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Carter
Definitely :ultmegaman: and :ultzelda:, followed by :ultike:. It's really satisfying to win with the Blue Bomber given how outclassed he is by other characters with projectiles. You either have pixel-perfect dexterity with him and pull out infinites like it's just another Tuesday, or you improvise like I do and try to outplay your opponent with some good ol fashioned confusion-fu.
Nice, I never have grasped Mega Man, but I do play Zelda and Ike. Props to you for being competent with Mega Man, I couldn't get a single string with him if I tried.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Refer to my signature for the answers. If I have to pick one, just refer to my avatar.

KIRBY MAIN

Smash Cadet
:ultkirby: For Sentiment
:ultkirby: For Shenanigans
:ultkirby: To Piss off my friends
:ultridley: Because FRIGGIN META RIDLEY!!!
:ultike: For being serious
:ultincineroar: For every match in the boxing ring..... All of them.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Nice, I never have grasped Mega Man, but I do play Zelda and Ike. Props to you for being competent with Mega Man, I couldn't get a single string with him if I tried.
Thank you. Although I don't consider myself very good to begin with. Mega Man just happens to be in a situation where almost no one plays him, so people don't know what to expect, whereas I will have my run-ins with opponents who know everyone's frame data and get bopped accordingly.

Nepht

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4207 3323 3722
Not counting the Mii Sword Fighter it has to be Kirby and Megaman.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
:ultfox:: Guy is wayyyy too precise for my tastes. Labbing him probably requires a new controller, and I don't really want that. Always had a sort of admiration for Fox mains. These guys are dedicated!
As a dedicated Fox main, when I decide to play virtually anyone else I'm shocked at how big everyone's hitboxes are by comparison, and how flexible their windows of input are. I went through so, so many GC controllers over the years. I finally forced myself to use the Switch's pro controller for Ultimate.

Props to sticking with Diddy - I always like Diddy but the beginning of Sm4sh was not good for his reputation. I'm happy his adjustments in Ultimate have pushed him into a more technical state again. :ultdiddy:

LINK MAIN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Carter
Thank you. Although I don't consider myself very good to begin with. Mega Man just happens to be in a situation where almost no one plays him, so people don't know what to expect, whereas I will have my run-ins with opponents who know everyone's frame data and get bopped accordingly.
No problem, I honestly wish Mega Man had more players
:ultkirby: For Sentiment
:ultkirby: For Shenanigans
:ultkirby: To Piss off my friends
:ultridley: Because FRIGGIN META RIDLEY!!!
:ultike: For being serious
:ultincineroar: For every match in the boxing ring..... All of them.
Nice

Last edited:

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
I've fallen hardest for the Belmonts. Filling the air with hitboxes, then slamming a perfectly spaced whip right in their face is just so great.

Krimnorr

Smash Cadet
If it wasn't obvious by my profile picture, it's Ridley.

In the last two smash games I've tended to gravitate and enjoy bad characters more than any other. In Brawl I played Ganondorf, same for Sm4sh. I also played a bit of Dr Mario here and there in Sm4sh. So, when Ultimate was revealed, I honestly had no idea who I was going to play; there were so many options! Wolf was definitely a contender, since he was another favorite back in Brawl. Back at that time, I was happy that Ridley got in, but wasn't necessarily considering him as an option.

It wasn't until people claimed him as being as less-than-decent character that I started to gravitate toward him. After picking him up, playing a thorough amount of games with him, and having an overall blast: I can safely say that I will be enjoying this character for years to come. Smash also has a way of increasing my interest for not only the moveset of the character I'm playing, but their story as well. My love for Ganondorf's character came from Brawl, and Ridley is looking like he'll be the same story.

LINK MAIN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Carter
If it wasn't obvious by my profile picture, it's Ridley.

In the last two smash games I've tended to gravitate and enjoy bad characters more than any other. In Brawl I played Ganondorf, same for Sm4sh. I also played a bit of Dr Mario here and there in Sm4sh. So, when Ultimate was revealed, I honestly had no idea who I was going to play; there were so many options! Wolf was definitely a contender, since he was another favorite back in Brawl. Back at that time, I was happy that Ridley got in, but wasn't necessarily considering him as an option.

It wasn't until people claimed him as being as less-than-decent character that I started to gravitate toward him. After picking him up, playing a thorough amount of games with him, and having an overall blast: I can safely say that I will be enjoying this character for years to come. Smash also has a way of increasing my interest for not only the moveset of the character I'm playing, but their story as well. My love for Ganondorf's character came from Brawl, and Ridley is looking like he'll be the same story.
The fact that you do this with your characters is very respectable, and personally, I love Ridley, top 10 for me

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
At the moment it's ROB. Olimar was my first main back in Brawl but I find that I'm doing better with the Robotic Operating Buddy. Probably because I'm not using Olimar all that well and need to work on my Pikmin management to get the best out of him (he was an absolute beast in World of Light though).

ROB is just fun all around. I love the buffs to his side-b and the flexibility his recovery gives him. It's also cool how they buffed his Final Smash, even if I don't normally play with items on.

Piranha Plant could well become my favourite overall and I'm super excited for their release, but I won't be able to really judge until February

Mister.Kim1

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2558-6837-3970
Wide variety. :ultlink: to start off when I was focusing to unlock the roster, :ultroy: or :ultchrom: to warm up in an online matches, :ultike: is my Trump card and :ultfalcon: is playing if I want some trolling or disrespect.

LINK MAIN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Carter
Wide variety. :ultlink: to start off when I was focusing to unlock the roster, :ultroy: or :ultchrom: to warm up in an online matches, :ultike: is my Trump card and :ultfalcon: is playing if I want some trolling or disrespect.
I agree with literally every single one of these, great favorites

D

Deleted member

Pac-Man. I love the character, I love how he plays and the references to all the old Namco arcade games are really neat.
Mostly I just play a character for how much I like them as a character and their games. It's also why I play Mega Man, Snake, Richter, but I've also tried some other characters whose games I'm not as familiar with like Ridley and Villager, who I also enjoy a lot.

Top Bottom