• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is your favorite character in Smash...outside of Smash and why?

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
For example, Little Mac is one of my favorite characters in gaming because I love his games and what he represents as a character. An underdog who despite his limitations as a fighter, rises to the top as a champion through extreme hardwork and dedication, despite his opponents being much bigger, stronger, and even sometimes faster than he is...But he's not my favorite character to play as here or even fight. In fact, I hate how he plays and is represented in Smash. Banjo is actually who I play, despite never beating a single one of his games, or even playing the others. I love grenade egg shenanigans and busting through zoners with wonderwing.

So, who do you guys enjoy playing as the most in Smash, and who is actually your favorite character in Smash that just so happens to be in the game?

Last edited:

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
Well, I never owned Splatoon, but I decided to main :ultinklingboy: in Smash because I enjoyed playing as him in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
Other than that? I quite like the Koopalings, but I tend to stick with the default Bowser Jr when I play as him in Smash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

:ultpeach::ultdaisy::ultrosalina: all beacuse they are my favorite characters to play as in things like Mario Kart or Mario Party games. Inside of Smash, I know they have massive learning curves, which gives me a well-deserved challenge. :yoshi:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
King Dedede. He has some of the best lines in the Kirby anime that have become timeless memes. He's also really fun to play as outside of Smash (True arena/Ultimate Choice).

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Of course my favourite pink baby boy, Kirby himself! He's always so adorable all the time, making friends, having a big appetite like me in real life. I love it when he says "Poyo!" a lot. (If Kirby was real, i would be friends with him.)

Oh and Dedede too! love how he's summoned so many memes, and the fact he and Kirby got over their rivalry and became friends.

Last edited:

Keeshu

Smash Ace
This is the hardest question to answer in Smash because the variety of gameplay styles and characters is the whole reason why I love smash so much. In any other game it's hard to really attach myself to any character. Usually ends up with just one "ehhh sure" kinda character.

My favorite characters outside of smash would have to be :ultlucario:Lucario and :ultmetaknight:Meta Knight, hence they gotta be loyalty mains. They kinda represent certain times in my life. Meta Knight representing what I cared about as a kid
I've never had a role model in life, but Meta Knight would probably be the closest thing to that. Just the way he was built up in the Kirby's Adventure game and him looking cool was already pretty sweet (and got cooler in Superstar cause wings and special powers). However at this point in time I never heard of the concept of a duel. So when he wouldn't fight until I grabbed the sword it really shocked me (also didn't want to do it because sword is probably the hardest ability to use in the NES version). Then he starts doing things I haven't seen characters do in a game before, like matches your ground speed so he stays at a specific distance at all times, and then strikes suddenly and swiftly when your guard is down. Never saw anyone counter an attack before either. He made me lose more lives than anything else in the game. Then the big mind blow is when you beat him and his mask comes off, it's a black kirby. Making me go "wait, you mean if I get good enough with the sword I can be that amazing!?!?!" Of course I knew you couldnt do it in the video game, but that gave me a huge boost in wanting to improve in everything I do. Video games were gonna make me want to always improve anyways, but the Meta Knight duel is a nice powerful moment to think back to. On a side note, love that in Smash 4 I got to tutor someone by dueling them a lot, just like Meta Knight did with me when I was playing Kirby's Adventure. I was really happy that day when I made that connection.
As for Lucario, you can definitely blame his movie since I did not care about his character design at all before I saw his movie (partially because I didn't understand some of the character design choices, but also cause the spikes and shorts look a bit dumb)
He's just being so cool being all ninja and using the aura. However that movie came out 13 years ago, I don't remember exactly why it hit me so hard. However, pretty sure Lucario goes through a character arc of trying to be all serious 24/7 and feeling bitter about Sir Aaron betraying him, and slowly learns to relax and enjoy other people's company overtime.... Around the same time the movie came out I starting to stop being so serious all the time and relaxed the same way. So that might be the reason why it hit me so hard, but it could be something else. I'd have to watch the movie again to remember why in case there were other reasons..... I remember for a while that whenever I got stressed out over something, I'd just think of Lucario doing his aura stuffs and relaxing and then I'd relax very quickly after (partially because I wanted to be as cool as Lucario lol), and it'd make it much easier to get back into doing stuff. I like to think of Meta Knight as my childhood where I'd try to improve and succeed no matter what, and then Lucario is me just getting a little older and realizing that you need to relax sometimes, but it's still good to improve.
Honorable mentions to: :ultridley::ultmewtwo::ultwolf::ultsonic:
:ultridley:Ridley (a lot of similar reasons to why I like Meta Knight), :ultmewtwo:Mewtwo (Used to like cause OP, him being my worst character in Melee made me realize there's other reasons to love a character besides being powerful. Learned his backstory that got cut from some versions of the movie later and now I love him again), :ultwolf:Wolf (I'm a sucker for anti-heroes), :ultsonic:Sonic (Used to hate him, but as I get older he just keeps growing on me... I love his "It doesn't matter" attitude and just is positive without being obnoxiously positive.)

Now as for who is my favorite character to PLAY as, that is much much more difficult because many characters feel like they have "perfect" gameplay such as the following: :ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultyounglink::ultlink::ultmario::ultcloud::ultjoker::ultsheik::ultinklingboy::ultduckhunt::ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultdarksamus::ultsamus::ultrob::ultganondorf::ultike::ultdarkpit::ultpikachu::ultpichu::ultfalcon::ultsonic:
:ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy: Marth and his clones - Marth and Link battled to be my main for such a long time in Melee, but Marth won out due to being able to abuse CPUs easier because of his long range and attacks at long range being able to hit safely even if they perfect block like they always do. Didn't play marth after Brawl because his range got shorter (or at least felt it), so in games after Brawl I always whiff the tipper because I'm so used to the Melee range of his sword and it's very discouraging. Though when I play random and get Marth he's still really fun even if I never really knew combos with him because I was such a noob in Melee. Lu Cena is basically Marth in a lot of ways so of course she feels good. I'm still trying to learn Roy, but he feels so good to play, and I love watching Roy players use him. Only reason why I don't use them more often is because of all the other characters that feel perfect to play, and me not knowing anything about Fire Emblem other than the perma death mechanic seeming pretty cool.
:ultyounglink::ultlink: - The character I learned smash off of. Hard hitting sword attacks helped me a lot when first getting into the game because the hits felt good. In Melee I was a noob so I never really understood projectiles because why use projectiles when they are going to get perfect block reflected back at you almost constantly? Smash 4 is where link really kicked into gear and I loved having an option for whatever range I was in. You're always doing something as Link. Using projectiles is what he wants to do, but he can do decently up close because of how nice his Nair is at doing things. I've only used them when random selects them for me and I always wreck my opponents a too hard when I get them so I do get tempted to play them. Just deciding between fast comboy young link, or the long range fast falling bomb shenanigan regular Link, or trying to learn Toon Link (Toon Link was among my worst characters in Smash 4, didn't understand his game plan) makes it hard to choose. Though there's too many characters I like so I've basically decided to skip trying to master the Links in Ultimate and can't pick a single Link. Even if I have a good time playing them every match I play with them.
:ultmario: - Mario maybe the most boring character ever, but gosh darn he has an amazing moveset. First match I used with Mario against a human opponent was against someone who was a very good Pikachu (because I wanted to see why Pikachu had trouble with Mario in Smash 4). Getting all the reads, adapting however I'd like, and in my first game I got to get 2 Fair spike kills left a very very positive impression on playing Mario. Maybe someday if I totally stop caring about how I like characters outside of smash, maybe then I will try to use Mario more.
:ultcloud: - Sword, Fast, looks cool, definitely like him. Charizard and Cloud are the two easiest characters for me to use in Smash, and it didn't feel like there was much room for improvement. So I went to other characters to learn them, or lab more often with my loyalty mains, and just haven't gotten back to Cloud yet. I don't know anything about Final Fantasy (though Kingdom Hearts and Crystal Chronicles are games I wanna get even if they aren't 100% final fantasy) Hard to main a character you have no attachments to.
:ultjoker: - I've been exhausted since Joker came out, so he does feel perfect to play, but sometimes I wonder if it's just because it feels good to constantly hit the enemy and the people I've been playing are just really bad so they let me get away with stupid things. Fast, combo character with a projectile, counter, and looking cool while doing so. However I've never played the Persona games (maybe one day!). Though one of my favorite video game music tracks is Persona 4's "The Almighty". Another character with no attachments, and with so many characters with "perfect gameplay", kinda have to have something special to motivate me to play them over the other perfect characters.
:ultsheik: - Hated Sheik in Melee for same reason as Samus, I just didn't understand them at all in Melee. However in Smash 4 since I improved in many areas I was able to pick up Sheik. My Meta Knight was my worst character for the longest time in Smash 4, but that changed once I used Sheik for a while so I always have Sheik to thank for getting my mind to click with Meta Knight. Sheik always is a blast to play. Even if I lose, it will ALWAYS feels like I was being badass in the fight just because of all the cool things Sheik does and how much you can just attack the opponent all the time.
:ultinklingboy: - Don't have a lot of matches with them, but they always feel good. Though I have a lot to learn to know how to use them properly. Just other characters have been higher priority so I haven't touched them as much as I'd like.
:ultduckhunt: - Duck Hunt is surprisingly fun to use. I always do well with him despite only having a few matches with him. He feels like playing Link since you're always doing something, but have ways to keep people out if they get too close. I'd use him more if not for other characters, also because a lot of people get salty around Duck Hunt and I don't care for the character. But gosh darn that gameplay is so tempting!
:ultfox: - Ah Fox. There were 3 characters that got me into smash, Link, Samus, Fox, and Fox was the most interesting out of the roster in Smash 64. So when I got my first smash game Melee when it came out I immediately wanted to use Fox (and Link). Though I was a noob in Melee, and fought CPUs so they'd always perfect block and attack everything, or just outrange fox. In Brawl I started to try to get better at the game and I had some very intense matches against the CPUs in Brawl because they are much better at fighting and don't rely on perfect blocks to get things done. Wolf vs Fox was a common fight I did (usually I was wolf but sometimes I liked to switch it up). Doing this made it so I could wreck people online in Smash 4 despite never playing good human opponents. So whenever I randomly play Smash 4 or Ultimate my Fox is pretty decent and usually wins anytime it gets brought out, despite most of my experience coming from fighting CPUs in Brawl. Love how fast Fox is and all his moves are so good. I'd play Fox more often, but Wolf won't let me do that.
:ultfalco: - I love playing all the spacies, Falco is the trickiest for me to play of the 3 spacies. Still gotta learn Falco more, but I love how his moves work.
:ultwolf: - Wolf was the character I practiced the most with in Brawl which was when I started to learn more advanced techniques in Smash. I used him because I figured Snake and him would be unlikely to return in Smash 4 (looks like I was right. glad Wolf is back and surprised snake is back). Wolf Feels much different in Ultimate but he still feels really good. I don't use him more often because if I'm not paying attention I can get lazy very easily with wolf because all his options are just so good and easy to use. Cloud maybe easier to play, but Wolf feels kinda braindead to play because Wolf is pretty close to being super easy to play, but he's such a good character that it makes me feel like the character is winning the match for me and that really bothers me greatly because I like my victories to feel earned. There's a good chance I'll pick him back up again sometime because I could make his punish game even more devastating, and I really love the character in general.
:ultdarksamus::ultsamus: - Samus and Link were my two mains for the longest time in Smash 4 before I got good with Meta Knight. If I every failed with Link, I could swap to Samus and beat that person. Loved the unstoppable duo of Link+Samus. Melee I didn't understand Samus, but Smash 4 I knew how to use Samus. One big reason I love Samus is the charge shot because I love seeing the sudden shift in the opponent's behavior if they see it charged, and if they don't change, then I get some free damage for them not respecting the option. One of my favorite things is that I never lost a match against a fox or falco with my samus because it was common for people to swap to falco or fox when I played Samus. I know when to shoot my charge shot. :3 I may get around to Samus again when I feel like I understand other characters more, and get better with my loyalty mains because it's really fun. Personally like using Dark Samus because I feel Samus's moveset fits Dark Samus more since Dark Samus actually melees and Samus didn't for the longest time. Also I got a person that mains dark Samus so whenever we get a Samus ditto going it strongly makes me want to use Samus again.
:ultrob: - I love R.O.B. because there's so many ways to mixup what you do that your opponent can't really know what you are going to do all the time. I usually even beat players that usually kick my butt regularly when I play R.O.B. despite not using him much. So there's definitely a reason to pick up R.O.B.... Or maybe the R.O.B. in the corner of my room watching me play games was lending his energy to help me win games! :3 One day R.O.B. I will play you again.
:ultganondorf: - Strangely enough I like the older Ganondorf in Brawl and Smash 4 because in Ultimate it feels like I have cheats on, just like if I go back to brawl Meta Knight after playing Smash 4 or Ultimate. In Smash 4 I loved Ganondorf because I loved seeing people break under the pressure of Ganondorf being this "low tier" and not understand how I was able to keep up with them, and then that leads them to making mistakes. Then I start wrecking them, and then they play even worse. Never underestimate the power of fear, just like with Samus's charge shot. Even if I encountered a player that didn't give into fear, my ganondorf was pretty darn good and catches a lot of people offguard. In Ultimate, I feel like I'm barely even fighting when I play Ganondorf because he's so fast and can kill so early. Always have a lot of matches with Ganondorf, he's always a fun casual pick to play.
:ultike: - While this can apply to ganondorf, it applies more for Ike. I use Ike to watch my opponent's moves because Ike is so basic. I feel like I am playing a fair game when I play with Ike compared to most characters in the roster. Also I love sword users a lot. Ike's hits are always so satisfying.
:ultdarkpit:- Speaking of playing fair, Dark Pit feels like the most fair character in the game to me (which in Ultimate means he's not as strong as he probably should be). Dark Pit has multijumps, disjoints, a projectile, reflector, and the movement feels pretty nice despite it not being fast (I usually prefer fast characters). With all other characters in the roster I'd like to play, there will be bad days where I feel like I'm taking advantage of their strength and I feel like I shouldn't be doing that (even though you should!), but with Dark Pit that would never happen and probably would be easier to stick with him. Still researching if I want to use him regularly though. Though I've been too busy lately to test him out more.
:ultpikachu: - Started playing Pikachu because I wanted to give advice to a Pikachu main before they got super awesome at the game. Pikachu just feels so great to play. Did 100 matches with Pikachu in Smash 4 and there are some awesome matches I had. I can totally see myself using Pikachu. Only problem is having the motivation to play pikachu over the other "perfect gameplay" characters. Pokemon yellow being my first pokemon game will only go so far.
:ultpichu: - I feel this sense of overwhelming joy whenever I play Pichu. I dunno what it is. Gameplay being fast and has combos? probably. Pichu having big floppy ears and being super cute and tiny? maybe! I will probably pick Pichu up again at some point. Once I heard Pichu had "lightning loops", it turned me off to the character a bit because I dislike anything that can do anything close to a 0 to death on opponents. Don't like doing it, don't like it done to me, don't like seeing it happen in people's matches.
:ultfalcon: - Speaking of feeling overwhelmingly happy when I play a character, Captain Falcon is the only other character that does that. Something about him just makes me want to go "HYES!". He's like the face of smash to me, not only because we basically know him from Smash, but also because he's the character that always seems to be in a state of making people go "OMG DID YOU SEE THAT!?!?!". In Smash 4 I usually kinda trolled with him to see how many people I could defeat using only falcon punches (which worked waaaay too well lol). In Ultimate I've been thinking about picking him up more seriously to see how things go. However I worry that he might have a problem where I'll just want to be all memey and start not focusing mid-match because he seems silly at times. After all, that's one of the reasons why I could never even consider using King Dedede as a main. It's impossible for me to take a match seriously if I'm DDD.
:ultsonic: - I like fast characters... So many characters in the game just aren't fast enough... If only there was a character that was based around speed... OH HAI SONIC! His moves chain so well together as well. In brawl and in Smash 4 he felt weird the couple times I tried him, but for some reason in Ultimate he feels absolutely perfect and is addicting to play. Gotta research to see if he's right for me.

My Loyalty mains used to feel horrible until I played with them enough to get over that initial barrier of learning them because all the above characters (minus R.O.B., Samus, and learned smash off of Link) I picked up and did well with quite easily despite not spending much time with them. Though now my loyalty mains :ultlucario:Lucario and :ultmetaknight:Meta Knight feel perfect and irreplaceable unless I haven't played Smash in a long time and simultaneously having a bad day because I feel like they require more out of me compared to most of the characters above.
Meta Knight
In Brawl pretty sure I knew Meta Knight was OP before I got the game, but even then I knew I was going to use him the most so I didn't use him in Brawl to learn other characters and figured he'd get nerfed in Smash 4 when I heard that was coming out. So I basically learned Meta Knight off of Smash 4. He was my worst character in Smash 4 for the longest time because I just didn't understand him. Sheik came along and then it all clicked with Meta Knight. I love multi-jumping but the other multijumpers in the game either dont have many or have a playstyle I don't like. Also Meta Knight is a sword user, and I love swords. Meta Knight is super friggin fast and it's nice catching people off guard with him. He just feels so cool to use. I forced myself to use Meta Knight more than any other character, so he's basically my main. However I did have to use Little mac for a while because I noticed I stayed in the air way too much when I was Meta Knight, so little mac helped ground me a bit so I can be a more well rounded threat. Still many things to learn with Meta Knight. Still can't get the hang of his ladder combos because dang they are hard. They get easier overtime though. I only successfully did it in smash 4 once.... against a Donkey Kong. In Ultimate I've done it a few times on people, but there's so many other ways to kill now that it's not as big of a deal if I can't do it. Feels awesome everytime though. I love fights with Meta Knight, whether I'm playing, Fighting against, or just watching, he is always awesome when he is on the battlefield. Currently I'm just trying to practice his ladder combo when labbing since it's so important. Though I've been trying to force myself to use Lucario a bit more lately because I feel Lucario is a bit more "normal" of a fighter compared to Meta Knight
Lucario
I used to be really bad with Lucario, so he felt terrible at first, but since he's a loyalty main I got over that learning cliff. Now it feels like there's a certain flow to Lucario that makes him feel uniquely amazing. I'm so glad he's much faster in Ultimate. He was all ninja-like in the movie! He should be fast! For a long while I use to go on and off on liking/disliking the aura mechanic. However after a while I realized that the Aura mechanic makes me focus for the entire duration of the match no matter what happens, which no other character in the roster does. Thing is with most characters in the game, if I start winning too much at the start I'll get overconfident, if I lose too much at the start, I sometimes start to panic. However with Lucario he keeps me focused the entire time no matter what happens because at low % while I'm in no danger of dieing I have to hit the opponent more often so I can either land a KO or be able to KO easier when I am high %. Then at high % I cold die at any moment, so I need to make sure they are not able to do so. Playing as or against Lucario is always intense once he gets higher aura and I love that intensity. The largest problem with Lucario is trying to recover to stage against people that know how to abuse his recovery, and his range feels really short because he's still rather slow and it not being a disjoint. Currently trying to learn how to do B-reverse shenanigans with Lucario since his gameplay requires it so much, and the b-reverse tech can help practically every other character I play that isn't Meta Knight.
:ultridley:Ridley has the most playtime in Smash (excluding me trying to try hard with Meta Knight by forcing myself to train with him), because I just naturally want to select him.
Thing is with Ridley, I can play him casually or competitively and have fun with him..... Unless I'm fighting someone extremely good like my Pikachu main friend.... Cause then I just get combod to the edge and die without being able to do anything about it. Outside of that though, my Ridley usually decimates anyone he comes across. Especially in the first few matches. Ridley feels like a bigger Meta Knight (my main for competitive try hardiness) with some influence from brawl/smash4 Ganondorf (most fun character to play casually), with a little unique Ridley goodness. Uniquely, he feels perfect, yet he also feels awkward to use at times. I usually play characters that I can see myself being sometimes, but that's an exception to Ridley! I'm here to crush you and be evil mwahahaha! I will admit I have a bit too much fun crushing bad players with Ridley with shenanigans like side+b when they stand next to the ledge, or skewering them repeatedly, or ending the game super fast by escorting them to the blast zone with his fair. Strange, since I usually hate 0 to death sort of things, but Ridley with Ridley it just makes me want to laugh all evily. Against good players it's just fun trying to make use of everything he has to win (though when I fight against good players, makes me wish ridley had more ways to mix up what he can do). No matter what kind of mood I'm in, can't go wrong with Ridley, he just fits everything. Unlike Lucario and Meta Knight, he's simple enough for me to use when my brain has shut off entirely because he doesn't have really tricky tech when compared to Lucario and Meta Knight. Since Ultimate has been out, I've been busy with life and been way too tired to really spend time labbing and improving, so playing some Ridley casually until I get woken up enough to be competitive, Ridley is just so perfect for my tired brain. Ridley is practically my main in Ultimate, even though I'm trying to main Lucario and Meta Knight instead. Ridley is just so fun! I really hope he returns for Smash 6.

Top 5 favorite gameplay styles at this moment for me would probabably have to be Meta Knight > Lucario > Ridley > Link > Sonic

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Shulk, really.

6 years of trying to play that character and I just can't. I hate his animations, his gimmick, and his playstyle, which is a shame since I loved XC and pre-ordered XCDE.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I know this is one of those "only has a personality in Smash" characters to most people, but the dog of :ultduckhunt: is a character who's actually rather meaningful to me, he was my most wanted newcomer prior to 3DS' release and I "knew" he wouldn't happen, to the point of making a Mii of him when Miis were revealed. When Shulk was revealed and he matched up with the leak, 12 year old me didn't shout "Shulk! Shulk! Shulk!", I was shouting "Duck Hunt Dog! Duck Hunt Dog! Duck Hunt Dog!" - even through I've phased out the duo as a main (through I haven't decided on a secondary yet, but maybe, just maybe...), I'm still extremely grateful for their inclusion, and hey, if this widely hated dog can get in Smash, maybe a widely unknown mole can too? ;)

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
:ultdiddy:was the first characters I really latched on to ever since Brawl I was instantly hooked on how he plays though during Smash 4 I was a big fan of using :ultvillagerf: since her unorthodox carnage making move set always puts a smile on my face, I honestly consider it a tie between the two of them as my favorites.
I also like them outside of Smash as well though I can't be sure if there's others as high since they have some differences between how they are in their own games.

Honorable mentions go to:ultjigglypuff::ultisabelle::ultwendy::ultinkling::ultpikachu::ultpichu::ulticeclimbers::ultwolf::ultganondorf::ultsnake::ultbanjokazooie::ultness::ultrichter::ultluigi::ultbowser::ultken: there's probably others but it might take too long to get mention them all.

NoUsernameHere

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4184-3304-2047
My favorite character to play as in Smash is Roy, he's been my favorite since Melee. As a kid, I thought he was much cooler than Marth in that game, and I got good enough to where I could beat my friends with Roy. I was upset when he was removed from Brawl, but I was ecstatic when he was revealed as DLC in Smash 4, and happy when he was revealed to be back in Ultimate too. I've always just liked his moveset, and playing him just feels...natural to me. I've thought about dropping him as my main in the past and have made an effort to do so on multiple occasions, but I always come back to him no matter what. As for my favorite character in that's in Smash though not necessarily my favorite to play, I'm gonna say either Pit or Joker. I just really enjoy Pit's character in Kid Icarus: Uprising and as for Joker, he's my favorite JRPG hero, period. He's just a really cool character and he has a cool design too.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
This was a tricky question but I think it's Wendy O' Koopa because her alt is the main reason Bowser Jr. is one of my mains . She's also one of my favourite characters in Mario Kart. ad in Mario's games she's always the boss I'm mostly eager fight.
I also loved her Kootie Pie incarnation in the Super Mario Brothers Super Show and I discovered she had the same voice actress of Rarity, which makes me smiles everytime I remember the scenes in which both them put a tantrum.

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
Characters in Smash that are my favorites by video game franchises:

Mario: :ultmario: :ultluigi: :ultyoshi: :ultpeach: :ultdaisy: :ultrosalina: :ultbowser: :ultbowserjr: :ultpiranha: :ultwario:

Donkey Kong: :ultdk: :ultdiddy: :ultkrool:

The Legend of Zelda: :ultlink: :ultyounglink: :ulttoonlink: :ultzelda: :ultsheik: :ultganondorf:

Star Fox: :ultfox: :ultfalco: :ultwolf:

Kirby: :ultkirby: :ultmetaknight: :ultkingdedede:

Pokemon: :ultpikachu: :ultpichu: :ultmewtwo: :ultsquirtle: :ultivysaur: :ultcharizard: :ultlucario: :ultgreninja:

Metroid: :ultsamus: :ultzss: :ultdarksamus: :ultridley:

Other various franchises: :ultpacman: :ultrob: :ultvillager: :ultisabelle: :ultrichter: :ultike: :ultbanjokazooie: :ultpalutena:

Characters not in Smash that are my favorites:

Mario: Shy Guy, Pauline, Waluigi, Geno, and Mallow.

DKC: Dixie Kong (she is not in yet but is my most wanted for DLC), Cranky Kong, Funky Kong, Tiny Kong, Lanky Kong, Chunky Kong, Commander Klump, and Krusha.

TLOZ: Tetra, Midna, Impa, and Skull Kid.

Star Fox: Krystal, Peppy, Leon, and Fay.

Kirby: Bandana Dee, Chef Kawasaki, and Nightmare.

Other franchises: Shovel Knight, Bomberman, Doom Marine, Ryu Hayabusa, and Valkyrie.

My favorites tend to be Nintendo characters because they’re the characters I grew up with and have had an inspiring impact on me.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Overall, Mega Man:ultmegaman:. Dude's a bro that just wants to do the right thing. Kicks all sorts of ass too. He tries to see the good in people, but is also pretty tired of Dr.Wily's ****. I dig that he chose the path he went on, rather than being thrust into it. So he's like this responsible older brother, but still a kid at heart. Helps he's not as cookie cutter as Mario, but not as TUBULAR as Sonic. A nice middle ground. And Robots are pretty bad ass.

****! He just works.

Terry's a really cool fighting game protagonist too, he's one of the few that actually evolves through the titles without needing an evil doppleganger. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't like Ryu a lot too. I like how the games show his journey to become stronger has influenced those around him like Alex, Sakura and Rashidooooooo.

Shout outs to Samus, Ridley, Ganon and bunch more though. I like a lot of the series' cast. There's very few wrong answers.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
:ultpikachu: - I became a huge fan of the Pokemon franchise back when the anime began back in 1999 and it was a no brainer that Pikachu was going to be my favourite character back on the Nintendo 64 version.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Hmm... probably Chrom.
He's such a pure, naive, slightly goofy and chivalrous boy in Awakening(+Heroes and Warriors) it's hard to not adore him.

He's a prince that finds a random amnesiac hobo and instantly makes him his best friend(potentially wife) and tactician of his entire army. He cares not for titles. He's willing to risk his life for a single person despite his status and his supports with his fellow Shepards can be downright hilarious... usually at his expense such as with his over coddly butler/great knight Fredrick or female Robin.

As much as I like Yoshi, if it weren't for Smash I wouldn't be as big of a fan of the green dino.

Marmotbro

Smash Apprentice
Snake. What a cool ****ing character. It's a shame that I hate playing zoners and Snake is the lamest one in this game, or I would only play him. Playing rushdown snake is a blast (hah) though because he is pretty good up close anyways and no one expects it.

Other than that, Wario, Ike, Ken, Terry and Lucas are all pretty likable.

link2702

Smash Champion
outside of smash, Link. Zelda games have always been my favorite series. Samus is a close second.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Both in and outside of Smash it would have to be Hero. Or if we're being specific, Eleven/Luminary as of now. I've yet to play the other Dragon Quest games so my favorite Dragon Quest protag could change by then. I just really happen to like silent JRPG protagonists that can simultaneously work as a player self-insert and their own character.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
:ultbayonetta:

Absolutely love her games, she's a great character, and I really love her design (especially her Bayo 2 look).

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
Outside Smash, probably :ultolimar:. Pikmin 1 and 2 are games I always replay from time to time. I really enjoy exploring the "mysterious" planet, and Olimar is a great character. He smart, curious, responsible, loves his family, loves candy, has a dog. When he crashes into the planet, he's basically "I'm 100% going to die here"(Absolutely relatable). But then through the power of friendship he manages to overcome the danger, and regain his lost hope (Character development at it's finest). He's cool.

However, the characters I have the most fun playing are :ultinkling::ultbanjokazooie::ultincineroar:. I never touched Splatoon, never managed to play Banjo-Kazooie for more than half an hour, and the last Pokémon game I played was Pokémon Stadium 2.... in 2001.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It was Ridley long before he got in, him being my favorite character was what got me into Smash speculation to begin with. He's got a fantastic design, continually has a big impact on the series' story, and he always has the best boss fights in the games he feature in. I'm fortunate that I also enjoy his moveset in Smash, means I'll never have any more dilemmas on who to main.

Just for the sake of a more interesting post, I'd probably say the biggest disconnect between my opinion on a character inside and outside Smash is Meta Knight. I love the dude in the Kirby games, but he's just been no fun to play as in the past two Smash games now, his butter knife just feels so bad. On the opposite spectrum you have Captain Falcon, who I don't care much for in F-Zero (I have no reason to care about any of its characters really), but man he's a blast to play as in Smash.

Top Bottom