• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is the best sword-fighter in Smash Ultimate?

Who is the best sword-fighter in Smash Ultimate?

• Chrom

• Roy

• Lucina

• Young Link

• Link

• Marth

• Shulk

• Corrin

• Robin

• Ike

• Cloud

• Hero

• MetaKnight

• Mii Swordfighter

• Toon Link

Results are only viewable after voting.

Xx2RAGE2xX

Smash Rookie
NNID
SW032285626527
Who is the best sword-fighter in Smash Ultimate? Let's hear some opinions!

Ez Quinn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EZ Quinn
3DS FC
2810-2492-6140
Switch FC
8449-9291-0216
left out toon link, mii swordfighter, and meta knight smh, not that they are the best, but still

Last edited:

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Yeah was going to post that, but you beat me to it. Which is strange since they added Young to the roster. I also think it's a bit of an unfair advantage to add the Links since they utilzie other arsenal just as much as their sword. Then again so does Hero and I have yet to meet a Cloud online that doesn't just spam that green energy strike.

Xx2RAGE2xX

Smash Rookie
NNID
SW032285626527
I just put general sword-fighters that came to mind on the list, toon link, mii swordfighter, and meta knight definitely didn't come to mind.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Do we mean best in Smash, or best canonically, or just our favorite? This is important data, I gotta make sure it's accurate.

Xx2RAGE2xX

Smash Rookie
NNID
SW032285626527
Do we mean best in Smash, or best canonically, or just our favorite? This is important data, I gotta make sure it's accurate.
The best in Ultimate, not canon, not favorite, who you think does the most work!

EaglePie

Smash Cadet
NNID
ZeldaGamer08
As an ACTUAL swordfighter, definitely Lucina. A lot of these don't use their sword for specials, which they use wayyy more. Lucina is just powerful with her sword and not many compare with her strength.
Then again she is my Ultimate main so I am a bit biased lol

Arthur97

Smash Master
As an ACTUAL swordfighter, definitely Lucina. A lot of these don't use their sword for specials, which they use wayyy more. Lucina is just powerful with her sword and not many compare with her strength.
Then again she is my Ultimate main so I am a bit biased lol
I mean, she is generally perceived as the strongest.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Lucina is commonly considered to be the strongest sword-wielding character on tier lists I've seen for Ultimate. I'll have faith, and cast my vote for her.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
I would have to also say Lucina. She has excellent tools, option coverage, and a decent match-up spread. Lucina is not really a character that has glaring weaknesses.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Which makes little sense since she is supposed to be a clone of Marth. But yeah I figured best overall would be Lucinia.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I don’t think anybody would argue that it’s Lucina. She’s just everything good about a Smash character in one. Roy’s not too far behind, though.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Eh, with Roy and Chrom though, it still hasn't been firmly established if one or the other is better if one even is, so if you list Roy, you should probably list Chrom as well.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Eh, with Roy and Chrom though, it still hasn't been firmly established if one or the other is better if one even is, so if you list Roy, you should probably list Chrom as well.
I’ve not heard of a single person who believes Chrom is better than Roy. I used to think so until I realized just how much of a difference Roy’s consistent recovery makes.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
I’ve not heard of a single person who believes Chrom is better than Roy. I used to think so until I realized just how much of a difference Roy’s consistent recovery makes.
Roy has a better recovery, sure, but it is still susceptible to the same things Chrom suffers from.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I think I've seen it thrown around though generally most can't decide. Roy's recovery difference is generally overblown. It's still rather bad and often comes up short itself. At least Chrom's can take someone with him. Even things like counters which are the bane of my existence when I use Chrom can be worked around by skilled players. Also, you say realized as if you came to some objective fact which is odd considering the two are still debated.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Lucina, definitely. She has the movement, the hitboxes, and the absurd strength. That doesn't include her kill confirms and her combos. She trumps Marth for having a better blade, and Roy/Chrom by a slight margin for having a more consistent recovery and combos, etc.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Roy has a better recovery, sure, but it is still susceptible to the same things Chrom suffers from.
No it isn’t. They’re two different types of recoveries with different ways to intercept both. The difference is there are more and easier ways to stop Chrom’s.
I think I've seen it thrown around though generally most can't decide.
A five-minute search tells me that ESAM, M2K, Armada, and Samsora all believe that Roy is better. I’ve seen a few say that they’re even with each other, but again, I’ve heard no one say that Chrom is better.
Roy's recovery difference is generally overblown.
No it’s not. I’m pretty sure no one’s deluded themselves into thinking Roy’s recovery is good, but it’s better than Chrom’s to the point that it warrants mentioning. The fact that it actually grabs the ledge on the way up makes it objectively better by itself.
At least Chrom's can take someone with him. Even things like counters which are the bane of my existence when I use Chrom can be worked around by skilled players.
Villager can’t take people with him when he recovers, does that mean his recovery is comparable to Chrom’s?

Roy doesn’t have to worry about this nearly as much as Chrom. Sure, you can run off the stage and counter Blazer, but all you have to do to ruin Chrom’s day is stand at the edge and wait.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
No it isn’t. They’re two different types of recoveries with different ways to intercept both. The difference is there are more and easier ways to stop Chrom’s.

A five-minute search tells me that ESAM, M2K, Armada, and Samsora all believe that Roy is better. I’ve seen a few say that they’re even with each other, but again, I’ve heard no one say that Chrom is better.

No it’s not. I’m pretty sure no one’s deluded themselves into thinking Roy’s recovery is good, but it’s better than Chrom’s to the point that it warrants mentioning. The fact that it actually grabs the ledge on the way up makes it objectively better by itself.

Villager can’t take people with him when he recovers, does that mean his recovery is comparable to Chrom’s?

Roy doesn’t have to worry about this nearly as much as Chrom. Sure, you can run off the stage and counter Blazer, but all you have to do to ruin Chrom’s day is stand at the edge and wait.
Oh yes, because 4 pro players (Though, does M2K even play Ultimate much) are the certifiable indication of who is good and who isn't. Are you kidding me with that? Shall we go into how so many thought plant was a bottom tier only for it to show to be a capable mid tier? No, that's hardly evidence. Many pro tier lists are some form of clickbait anyways as most don't seriously know enough about the entire roster to do it justice. Many may just cite some shallow thoughts and move on.

It grabs the ledge...sometimes. It's pretty bad about it though, and good luck if you have to recover from under a ledge. It's vertical distance is also pathetic and it's rather slow. I mean, just about any hit off stage unless it sends him up is likely to do him in without a jump much like Chrom.

Roy's is also very non-threatening to challenge. Taking a midair blazer to the face is hardly punishing as it is much weaker in the air. Challenge Chrom's and lose...then very well might die with him. That's why counters are Chrom's bane as they remove this risk. Normal edguarding though, Chrom becomes much riskier to challenge especially with the benefit of armor in the air (pretty sure Blazer only gets it when grounded).

The true extent of the recovery business has yet to be fully realized, and things get more complicated with Chrom essentially just having better versions of f and up smash (forward smash having an extra active frame and up smash being harder to DI out of) as well as f tilt (for whatever reason he moves forward) in addition to the lack of limp noodling and still hitting really hard.

Yes, Roy's recovery is better, but it's still not conclusive if one is better than the other as Roy's is still quite weak and the other non-recovery factors compared to Marth and Lucina where Lucina is almost universally considered better except for maybe a few Marth loyalists that are deluding themselves.

Edit: Yes, I looked up those pros, and not a single one seems to even secondary either Chrom or Roy. In fact, potentially the former best Roy main in Europe, Mr. R, dropped him for Chrom.

Last edited:

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
Unpopular opinion, I don't think there is a definitive "better" between the two. Chrom has better ground game, Roy has better recovery. I think it's just a trade-off you have to be willing to make.

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
That's not actually unpopular I think.
I think the meme is to start popular opinions with "unpopular opinion".

Either way, the way I see it is: I'm more scared of Chrom on the ground, and I'm not surprised when Roy is able to make it back to stage.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I think the meme is to start popular opinions with "unpopular opinion".

Either way, the way I see it is: I'm more scared of Chrom on the ground, and I'm not surprised when Roy is able to make it back to stage.
While I won't say for certain that Chrom's ground game is better (the sweetspot can be quite potent if it lands) and Roy whiffs the edge more than is good, yes, they are fairly close together. The recovery does keep Chrom from just outstripping Roy like Lucina does Marth, but to say it makes him definitively worse seems to be jumping the gun without too much thought.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Cloud feels really powerful, bruh. He has a power up for a variety of moves, reliable speed and a projectile. Shulk also looks to be pretty great.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
User was warned for this post
Oh yes, because 4 pro players (Though, does M2K even play Ultimate much) are the certifiable indication of who is good and who isn't. Are you kidding me with that? Shall we go into how so many thought plant was a bottom tier only for it to show to be a capable mid tier? No, that's hardly evidence. Many pro tier lists are some form of clickbait anyways as most don't seriously know enough about the entire roster to do it justice. Many may just cite some shallow thoughts and move on.

It grabs the ledge...sometimes. It's pretty bad about it though, and good luck if you have to recover from under a ledge. It's vertical distance is also pathetic and it's rather slow. I mean, just about any hit off stage unless it sends him up is likely to do him in without a jump much like Chrom.

Roy's is also very non-threatening to challenge. Taking a midair blazer to the face is hardly punishing as it is much weaker in the air. Challenge Chrom's and lose...then very well might die with him. That's why counters are Chrom's bane as they remove this risk. Normal edguarding though, Chrom becomes much riskier to challenge especially with the benefit of armor in the air (pretty sure Blazer only gets it when grounded).

The true extent of the recovery business has yet to be fully realized, and things get more complicated with Chrom essentially just having better versions of f and up smash (forward smash having an extra active frame and up smash being harder to DI out of) as well as f tilt (for whatever reason he moves forward) in addition to the lack of limp noodling and still hitting really hard.

Yes, Roy's recovery is better, but it's still not conclusive if one is better than the other as Roy's is still quite weak and the other non-recovery factors compared to Marth and Lucina where Lucina is almost universally considered better except for maybe a few Marth loyalists that are deluding themselves.

Edit: Yes, I looked up those pros, and not a single one seems to even secondary either Chrom or Roy. In fact, potentially the former best Roy main in Europe, Mr. R, dropped him for Chrom.
Oh, my bad. I wasn’t aware that you know more about this game than the people who literally play it for a living. You’ll have to excuse me.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Oh, my bad. I wasn’t aware that you know more about this game than the people who literally play it for a living. You’ll have to excuse me.
Well, if you actually read it, you'd notice that the pros you cited don't even play them. Pros are exceptionally good usually at basics and a few fighters. If they don't use them, they're largely firing from the hip and expect you to believe them because they're pros (apparently works on you). I mean, look at ZeRo's Smash 4 tier lists; being an amazing player does not make you qualified to make a good and accurate tier list. Find me some Chrom and Roy players, or even some swordie mains, then use those. Besides, if you want to talk pros, MKLeo took up Chrom and not Roy.

In the end, I won't say one is better than the other. You can't really definitively say one way or the other.

Then again, you apparently missed/ignored my point about the Plant being underrated, so you'll probably ignore those points too.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Then again, you apparently missed/ignored my point about the Plant being underrated, so you'll probably ignore those points too.
If a character is underrated, it's in the favor of said character. People will underestimate it and not practice the matchup. Ergo, there's really zero reason whatsoever to get heated about tier discussions at any point in one's life.

Top Bottom