• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is still disappointed in Ultimate after this much?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
It's beginning to get not just annoying but also sad to see some people request so much from Ultimate. Especially from IP's that Sakurai has done so much for. Leave the man alone, he's already laid down so much time and effort. I understand that everyone has a fighter they want that isn't in and that there is still so much left to reveal, but some people treat it like they're entitled to have whatever they want in the game or that their most wanted deserves to be in over all else. It's starting to get almost toxic as people begin to insult others with crude words if they don't agree with them.

That's why I ask: How come so many people still seem to be disappointed in the game and why?

D

Deleted member

Well remember you still got lots of people complaining about their characters not making it. Then I notice, there are quit a few people complaining about interface, air dodging, and then you have people still saying its a port!? And lets not forget when Isabelle was announced. Literally all hell broke loose. So in my opinion, I would say 40-50% of the community isnt happy with Smash. Which, when you think about it, is a pretty big number.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I think it's because people see the title 'Ultimate' and feel that it's now or never for their character. People just need to stop with the mentality that the roster is all that matters. Even if it was (and it's almost certainly getting fleshed out with DLC), I find it hard to believe that there's not someone for everyone in the already huge roster.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I'm fairly satisfied with what we got (with one major glaring issue for me), but I'd also be okay with no more new characters so I may not be the best example.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I think Gyrom8 Gyrom8 is on to something when he said he thinks it's because certain people see "Ultimate" in the title. That might lead some to think this is the last game. Then there's that interview floating around somewhere on the Internet about the choice for SSBU was either to cut the roster down, or to go with how it currently is. Cutting the roster by a third would mean 24 to 25 characters† in the next game.

74 characters currently. A third of that is 24.67. 74(1/3)

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I'm pretty sure that a good portion of the Smash audience will be disappointed with anything that isn't just Melee 2.0. Others will be pissed because one particular character doesn't make it in or is an Assist Trophy. With the amount of stuff we have, that's just insanity.

It's pretty sad tbh. I just pity them and move on

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Yeah it's a shame people are complaining. I've been gaming for over 15 years now and I have NEVER been as hyped and as obsessed of a game than I am with Ultimate. Yes I'm viewing it through biased eyes because my 17 year long wait of K.Rool joining Smash has finally been fulfilled. If K.Rool hadn't made it or been revealed yet I might have held a different tune. But good thing we don't live in that alternate reality.

- 100 stages is AMAZING and yes I know "BUT THEY AREN'T NEWWW!!!" I get that but to ME personally Wii U's stages were pretty bad IMO. So I'd rather time spent on remastering my favorite stages from Melee, 3DS, and Brawl that I know I'll love than potentially getting new stages based on Wii U's stage designs..

- Final Smash Meter is something I plan on using ALL the time. I'm not a hardcore Smash player but I don't like using items either. The Smash Ball wasn't fun for me because I was the only one in my group of friends good enough to get it 85% of the time which would result in them getting mad. So this meter levels the playing field. We all enjoy the cinematics of final smashes but it gets tiring for them to see me be the only one using it most of the time.

-Clan battles. AMAZING! Sakurai took the only good aspect of Smash Tour and expanded it into it's own mode something I've been hoping for for YEARS. I don't choose only 1 character. There's TOO many characters that I love on this roster to only limit myself to one. The fact that I can play with 5 of my faves in one match is amazing!

-Stage Morph. Another feature I'll probably be using more times than not. I've got friends who only like to play on 2-3 stages. We use to have to take turns choosing stages. Not anymore they can choose their limited pool but I can choose any stage to morph into so everyone can be happy.

-Hazard toggle. Incredible. This opens the gates/playing field to all types of players

- Omega and Battlefield forms.

- 900 songs and the songs ordered by series instead of stage is amazing. Now I can play my favorite Mario music on my favorite Mario stages instead of if I want to hear "Super Bell Hill" I HAVE to play on Mushroom Kingdom U (stage isn't terrible just REALLY dull, but in a way it captures the original game's spirit perfectly). But now I can have Super Bell Hill play on Luigi's Mansion or Delfino Plaza if I want.

^ To me all this stuff combined with the character roster we already have Idk HOW you could complain unless your most wanted didn't make it and I GET that BUT out of a 70 character roster and if their isn't a SINGLE character you F*** with heavy, then IMO you shouldn't be playing Smash Bros. PERIOD! This may be one of the few games if not the ONLY game I feel I would GLADLY pay $100 for and feel I've got my money's worth and THEN SOME!

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
Stage builder and Mii customization are the only things I'm actually worried about at this point. The game is certainly shaping up to be just as amazing as Brawl and Smash 4 were. Everything else is just a bonus at this point for me.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
It is physically impossible to please everyone(sadly the internet is usually the place where people express their negative opinions) it's a case that life will never always go your way but it's best to look at the positives.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I would defiantly say I am happy with game play, but the interface is my biggest concern for the game from what we have seen thus far.

The amount of time I have to spend in the menu system for me can make or break a game whether or not it's Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
It looks kind of crap competitive-wise. There are a few characters who, were they to be added, would get me to buy the game.

Goosey_021

Smash Cadet
There’s already 65+ characters and double the amount of stages that were in Smash 4, PLUS a secret new ‘Spirits’ mode. I really don’t understand why anybody would think that they deserve more than that.
Also FoD is back, how can you not be happy

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
It looks kind of crap competitive-wise. There are a few characters who, were they to be added, would get me to buy the game.
In terms of changes from Smash 4's roster, Smash Ultimate is adding many characters while cutting nobody. Additions include :ultdaisy:, :ultkrool:, :ultyounglink:, :ultdarksamus:, :ultridley:, :ultchrom:, :ultwolf:, :ultpichu:, :ultpokemontrainer:, :ulticeclimbers:, :ultisabelle:, :ultinkling:, :ultsimon:, :ultrichter:, and :ultsnake:. There are more to be announced soon. Considering all of the possibilities, how can there not be any characters that get you to buy the game?

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The angriest voices tend to speak the loudest. Just because you see a lot of people complaining doesn't mean that most people are actually complaining. Just check out the poll in the General Smash discussion. Over 80% of users here were satisfied with the latest Nintendo Direct and Isabelle's reveal, way more then the vocal minority of haters would make you think.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I would defiantly say I am happy with game play, but the interface is my biggest concern for the game from what we have seen thus far.

The amount of time I have to spend in the menu system for me can make or break a game whether or not it's Smash Bros.
Oh, yeah, not a fan of the CSS or SSS now that you mention it.

D

Deleted member

Hmm, this thread sort of reminds me about the upcoming Soulcalibur 6. At the 8WAYRUN forums, a fair number of users showed their negativity, most notably over Tira being announced as day 1 DLC.

Thus far I am quite content with what Ultimate has to offer, and I never even saw any footage of this upcoming game since I want to be surprised and buy the game and see for myself. I just simply read the Smash Ultimate Discussion thread.

My point is keep y'all's expectations low otherwise you can skip Ultimate. It makes no difference to us.

Sayonara :kirby:

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
Who is still disappointed in the amount of content? Unreasonable people, that's who.

Now, it's hard to say how I feel about the game til it's out. But I can tell at the very least I'm thrilled with all the stuff in it. And they'd have to try pretty hard to make a Smash game I DON'T like to play.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591

you be done with the menu in seconds

Ardisan

Smash Rookie
Eh, I got pretty much all I wanted from Ultimate. Only complaint I have is that Ashley and Bomberman are still assist trophies but that said, at least they are in.
My most wanted characters before Ultimate was announced was Bomberman and Richter/Alucard.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Not that I’m disappointed it just after :ultridley::ultkrool: and to an extent :ultsimon:+:ultrichter: the other new characters shown off just don’t hold as much hype. Maybe this can change.. going off leaks it’s not going to.

But everything else all the new modes gold great ideas.

Stages. while have all of them back would of been nice, even if it would be kinda redundant for some. it still Smash history and should be brought into a game what’s bring everything back.

You know I’m not sure if Smash 6 being a reboot with a cutdown roster is a good idea. Maybe a update do port of ultimate would be the smarter

But you can find something negative to moan about in everything in life... but that’s life I guess you’re as happy as you make yourselve I guess. If we are to be responsible for our own happiness

Last edited:

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
The disssenters' opinions don't matter, all that matters is Ultimate. Only amount of slight disappointment I could possibly be subject to is if we get a Pokémon newcomer and it's not Lycanroc or Decidueye or if they don't fix For Glory doubles, that aside it's god's gift to humanity (god being Sakurai in this case). Give me a demo please.

StormC

Smash Hero
I can't reasonably ask for more. K. Ridley is a decade in the making, Snake and Wolf are back... if you told me in February we were getting a Smash this year with all of these characters I'd have slapped you. Speculation is kind of boring now - and frankly obnoxious - because the game is almost out and leaks are making everyone antsy as well as the hope that we are getting more ballot characters, and while I hopped on the Banjo train post-K. Rool, if he doesn't make it, my reaction will be "oh, that's a bummer," and then I'll proceed to play as K. Rool on over 100 stages against a roster of over 70 characters.

People can be disappointed, but realistic expectations are healthy. I felt K. Rool had a good chance at being in after the Ridley reveal, and that expectation was met. If your hopeful is Shantae or something, I don't think you should act like the game has some obvious missing gaping hole. The big fish to fry were Inkling, Ridley, and K. Rool, and we got them all up front. I treat anything as a bonus from here on out, especially third parties. My priorities are almost always focused on Nintendo characters, so when the Nintendo representation is disappointing (as it was in Smash 4), that feels very jarring to me.

At the very least, you can't claim Sakurai isn't trying to address the complaints with Smash 4, especially if Spirits is a genuine single player campaign.

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
At this point, I'm incredibly excited for the game, and there isn't really anything about it I dislike. My only wish remaining is that there's more single player content, but with Classic mode being different for every character and "Spirits" mode still left to be fully revealed (I'm willing to bet it will be a combination of Melee's Adventure mode, Brawl's Boss Battles mode, and 3DS's Smash Run mode which would be very pleasing to me), I'm not worried.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Demanding that people be satisfied is at least as obnoxious as whining about not being so.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
you be done with the menu in seconds
If I'm trying to make my way to the Smash mode or the "Spirits" mode, then yes, it takes seconds. The thing is after Smash Brawl, anything other than those two modes is a nightmare to find with the introduction of the "Games and More" category. Smash 4 scattered Options, the Vault, and everything that should be inside those two modes around like a hot mess. In Smash Ultimate, the Vault is on the main screen, but Options still isn't. Finding the stuff I want will take even more time because I have to scramble through the Vault, and if what I want to go to isn't there, then Games and More immediately after. I always thought it would be best if Options and the Vault were integrated into one button on the main menu.

It was somewhat tolerable in Smash 4 because there was organization the two modes where I spent most of my time. Smash, and Online especially on the two select screens I have to navigate every time a game ends. In Smash Ultimate, the Character and Stage Select Screens (CSS and SSS) have been organized by when they were put in a Smash Bros game. They separates similar stages in terms of origins from each other to sort them by "generation". Because of that, I now have to take the extra 30 seconds on the SSS to find the stage(s) I want to use because I don't know which stages were added in which Smash game. Then I have to do the whole process over again with the CSS only it has to be done with multiple people and/or computer players.

The new game will be affecting my ability to quickly get off the menu screens and back to game play from both the main modes I use 90% of the time and the modes people don't use often but are still extremely important to know where they are. More time spent on the menu equals less time spent playing, and less time spent playing is less enjoyment out of the same amount of time I have to play.

Last edited:

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
Depends on whether you are talking about well mannered critisicm or just plain out whining.
There's a number (and one big) thing I'm very disappointed they still won't do for Smash that I myself highly disagree with, however I am aware that a vast amount of effort and decision making went into each Smash games. You can't perfectly please everyone of course, saying every decision is perfect for everyone would be as wrong as saying no effort went into this game when a huge amount of effort did, but I think that is what disappoints some people, they are putting a huge amount of effort but missed some key things they personally feel would truly make it feel "Ultimate" while having all that, however it is to be expected due to deadlines, circumstances and development time; you can't have all at once unfortunately.
I don't think it hurts to speculate in good fun, especially as a lot of the people doing so usually will play the game for what it has and look into the positives as well as dream of the possibilities, as most things in life. And the ones that don't wish to play it are entitled to do so for whatever their reasons may be, as different people have different needs, what would keep one more interested in playing it more, though that doesn't necessarily mean one thinks no effort went into it.
As for the other parts which are more plain whining, as is to be expected from large communities like this, I suppose.

Last edited:

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
It's beginning to get not just annoying but also sad to see some people request so much from Ultimate. Especially from IP's that Sakurai has done so much for. Leave the man alone, he's already laid down so much time and effort. I understand that everyone has a fighter they want that isn't in and that there is still so much left to reveal, but some people treat it like they're entitled to have whatever they want in the game or that their most wanted deserves to be in over all else. It's starting to get almost toxic as people begin to insult others with crude words if they don't agree with them.

That's why I ask: How come so many people still seem to be disappointed in the game and why?
With how huge Smash is and this community, there will be complaining from people, whether they are good complaints or not doesn't matter.
My advice is just ignore them. Complaining about others complaining won't solve anything. Just accept it. You aren't really helping either by telling others to shut up and accept it.
Demanding that people be satisfied is at least as obnoxious as whining about not being so.
Edit: I agree with you

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Not so much disappointed, just underwhelmed so far.

When it comes to newcomers:

:ultinkling: - Not a fan of Splatoon, but we all knew it was coming.
:ultridley: - Not into Metroid, but he was popular despite being too big. I still think he looks really silly now but hopefully fans are happy with it.
:ultdaisy: - Easy echo, sure.
:ultsimon::ultrichter: - Didn't want them but I'm interested in trying them out they seem pretty cool.
:ultdarksamus: - Echo, whatever, looks cool.
:ultchrom: - We all knew he was gonna be in but hopefully he's it until the inevitable DLC FE character(s)...sigh.
:ultkrool: - The only newcomer thus far that I wanted and was excited for.
:ultisabelle: - Not into Animal Crossing, kinda wish she was just an echo instead of semi clone but I guess they really had to put work into her if they want AC players to try out smash / promote new game.

With my most wanted character probably deconfirmed, and the most likely characters being more that im not interested in, this is the weakest set of newcomers in MY opinion, but it seems I'm in the minority thinking this, but thats fine. I'm not salty really I'm glad to see most people enjoy them.

Then outside of newcomers, the balloon knockback seems stupid, Bayo will never be nerfed enough to not be a top 5 character (they'd have to redo her to balance her properly) but at least it won't be as bad as last game...I hope, we have very few new stages.

Doesn't affect me as I don't use the color, but they removed Fire Mario? Like what lol. Not just leaving the 8 colors and then adding more costumes baffles me, really just a dumb idea when they take so little effort.

I'm hopeful for the story mode and maybe more outfits/costumes down the road or in base game.

But disappointed? Hell no. We may end up with near 80 characters (including echos and all), near 110 stages, tons of great music, and DLC to look forward to.

And while I am underwhelmed by the newcomers, my biggest wish was that they wouldn't cut anyone, and instead every character from every smash game ever is back, that's huge, I was losing my **** during the "Everyone is here" trailer...I don't even like the Ice Climbers and I was really happy they were back. Can't wait to play as Pokemon Trainer and Wolf again!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah, this thread reeks of "like this or else!" which is something I greatly loathe about this community.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I’m positive about the game so far, I’m remaining optimistic seeing what more greatness Sakurai can bring to an already fantastic game.

Vermilion

Smash Cadet
Some people are ungrateful or held unrealistic expectations. Most of the complainers are both.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Honestly, I'll be disappointed if some of my favorite characters didn't make it in, but wouldn't everyone/most people be like that?

It's not that I'm disappointed in the game itself; heh, I don't think that'd make any sense/be possible for me at this point, but it still feels bad when your characters didn't make it y'know? Of course, I have some favorites already on the roster as well, and while I may not have been part of the K. Rool supporters and such (I mean, I wasn't really around Smash Boards / Smash Bros. Reddit at all for over two-three years, but I'd still would have supported him or had stayed neutral), I'm happy he's back as I really like DK64, contrary to what seems to be the popular opinion on that game, and I hope to see his return as the main DK villain, as I think he's really cool. I haven't played DKC except maybe a small bit, idk, but I plan to in the future.

Then there are already-in characters that I really like such as the Ice Climbers, Pikachu, Ness...and I generally find most characters to be fun, anyway. I was filled with joy at the Ice Climbers' return, and just seeing everyone else return filled me with hype; while not particularly caring that the Melee vets. and others were cut before, them coming back gave me a sense of receiving something I never knew I wanted.

And hey, the game is already releasing on my birthday, so even if I don't get it the same day, it already feels like a wonderful birthday gift. So, even if Banjo-Kazooie, Skull Kid, Geno, Steve, etc. don't get in, I may be disappointed that they're not there, but I'll still love the game and have a lot of fun with it, as there's no way I can be disappointed in anything other than certain characters missing, which were never promised.

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
If I'm trying to make my way to the Smash mode or the "Spirits" mode, then yes, it takes seconds. The thing is after Smash Brawl, anything other than those two modes is a nightmare to find with the introduction of the "Games and More" category. Smash 4 scattered Options, the Vault, and everything that should be inside those two modes around like a hot mess. In Smash Ultimate, the Vault is on the main screen, but Options still isn't. Finding the stuff I want will take even more time because I have to scramble through the Vault, and if what I want to go to isn't there, then Games and More immediately after. I always thought it would be best if Options and the Vault were integrated into one button on the main menu.

It was somewhat tolerable in Smash 4 because there was organization the two modes where I spent most of my time. Smash, and Online especially on the two select screens I have to navigate every time a game ends. In Smash Ultimate, the Character and Stage Select Screens (CSS and SSS) have been organized by when they were put in a Smash Bros game. They separates similar stages in terms of origins from each other to sort them by "generation". Because of that, I now have to take the extra 30 seconds on the SSS to find the stage(s) I want to use because I don't know which stages were added in which Smash game. Then I have to do the whole process over again with the CSS only it has to be done with multiple people and/or computer players.

The new game will be affecting my ability to quickly get off the menu screens and back to game play from both the main modes I use 90% of the time and the modes people don't use often but are still extremely important to know where they are. More time spent on the menu equals less time spent playing, and less time spent playing is less enjoyment out of the same amount of time I have to play.
in the grand scheme of things is 30 seconds really all that much? It will only be a problem at first anyway since you will eventally learn the position of the stages you like and it will fix itself

Arthur97

Smash Master
in the grand scheme of things is 30 seconds really all that much? It will only be a problem at first anyway since you will eventally learn the position of the stages you like and it will fix itself
Just because you can work around something doesn't mean it's good.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Those 100 hours could be spent on hundreds of more matches where me and my friends play around. The entire menu system is inefficient, and that takes time that could be spent in game play whether it be offline, online, or the supposed "spirits" mode.

But when you multiply that by the amount of games I intend to play, those extra 30 seconds turns into an extra 100 hours just with in the first year. By the way, the amount of stages I like is so vast that I literally can't remember where they all are at once. I would have to work around it every time I want to play a different stage, so no, this would be a problem all throughout Smash Ultimate's life span.

Being able to know where any stage is at any given time without pouring hundreds of hours on to all five Smash games each (3DS and WiiU Separately), two of which I don't even own, is something a ton of people take for granted. I can guarantee you there will be truck loads of unhappy campers with the SSS and CSS. It's way too difficult to find anything.

Top Bottom