• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is Richter Belmont?

belmont.jpg

Overview

On August 8th 2018. Richter Belmont was revealed alongside his ancestor Simon for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Despite the series’ longtime dormancy. I was surprised by how few people knew of Richter despite his impact on the franchise.

Of all the Belmonts, Richter is canonically the most hot-headed. He’s fiercely loyal to his future wife along with her sister Maria and became good friends with Alucard, like Trevor before him. Richter is usually thought of as the strongest Belmont before Julius, as he is headstrong and not afraid to dive into danger.

His signature theme is called “Bloodlines” sometimes known as “Divine Bloodlines”

He originated on the Turbografx-16 or the PC Engine in Japan in the game Rondo of Blood, one of the last Castlevania games done in the classic style of stage-to-stage progression. It was later re-made under the title Dracula X Chronicles on the PSP. He’s made several appearances since then, making him one of the more prolific Belmonts.

Richter’s original design, on which the Smash design is based, is jokingly referred to as “Ryu Belmont.” Although he does have a more gothic aesthetic in games such as Symphony of the Night. His sprite has always remained consistent with his initial appearance.

300px-Richter_Belmont_SotN_portrait.jpg

Distinct Abillities

Richter differentiates himself from others in his clan with several martial arts-based moves, ranging from sliding kicks, uppercuts, backflips to even a roundhouse kick in Harmony of Despair.

POR_Spinning_Kick.gif

He also introduced the Belmonts’ “Item Crash” technique, which basically gives every sub-weapon a super move. Grand Cross, which Simon uses as his Final Smash in Ultimate, is the Cross weapons super move. Richter also uses a technique without sub weapons that imbues his whip with holy fire.

The Lore Behind Richter

Richter’s story takes place roughly 100 years after Simon’s in 1792 when Dracula rises once more to terrorize the land, kidnapping several maidens, including Richter’s fiancée and her sister, Maria. After many trials, Richter saves them, and slays Dracula along with the evil wizard, Shaft. All seems well with the world. Cue Symphony of the Night.

In Symphony of the Night, Richter is given several new martial arts techniques, which have been listed above. He and Simon happen to use these techniques in Ultimate:

Below are spoilers for Symphony, so beware!

Shaft (having avoided death in Rondo of Blood) possesses Richter, who becomes the Lord of Castlevania. It’s then up to Dracula’s son, Alucard, to take the role of main hero. Richter becomes a very hammy antagonist, highly atypical for a Belmont, during the game’s first half. Alucard, with some help from Maria, manages to snap Richter out of the spell, but not before Dracula is once again revived. Alucard deals with his father personally, and afterwards, the Belmont bloodline goes a bit dormant for awhile. Richter is very upset and shaken by being taken advantage of.

There was a radio drama in Japan known as Castlevania: Nocturne of Recollection, starring Richter and Alucard, which takes place shortly after Symphony of the Night.

Richter appears again in Portrait of Ruin as an optional boss who inhabits the inert Vampire Killer as its last true wielder. Defeating him unleashes the whip’s true power and makes it one of the game’s strongest weapons. Portrait of Ruin also features a mode in which you can play as Richter and Maria.

There is also the non-canonical SNES game Dracula X that retells Rondo of Blood’s story and reuses that game’s assets, doing a decent job of adapting them to the more technically proficient Super Nintendo. The game’s overall design is subpar as far as Castlevania games go , and it mostly serves as a very strange piece of history. If you’re crazy enough to try it, is available on the SNES and is generally not expensive on Amazon or Ebay from the listings I’ve found.

Richter has also appeared in Harmony of Despair as one of the many playable characters.

Experiencing the Legend Yourself
To experience the legend of Richter Belmont for yourself, you might have to do some digging.

Rondo of Blood, as mentioned previously, was on the TurboGrafx-16 and was released on the Wii Virtual Console. Also on Wii U, but only until January 2019 I recommend this version of the game.

Dracula X Chronicles, a remake of Rondo, is on the PSP and includes Symphony of the Night and the original Rondo of Blood as extra unlockables.

Symphony of the Night, in which Richter has a bonus mode, was originally released on the PS1 and is also available on the Xbox 360 and PS3 for digital download.

Portrait of Ruin, which also has a Richter mode, is on the DS.

Harmony of Despair is on PS3 and Xbox 360 and is mostly an online co-op game.

Authors Note: How do you feel about the Belmonts appearing in SSBU? Do you intend on trying to main or casually use them? Were you familiar with Richter before this piece? Tell us below!

Last edited:
Jedidiah "SHSL Jedi" Baker

Comments

I was surprised how few knew who Richter was as well. Even if you've never played Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, it's hard to miss Richter in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.

As for Simon and Richter's debut, I think it's pretty cool. My brother and I have thought about how interesting it'd be to have at least Simon as a playable character. I won't main any of them, nor use any for a secondary, since my plate will be full. (I'm using all Metroid characters.) Still, I will give them a try.

Last edited:
Same. I mean "What is a Man??" Is one of the most famous lines in gaming history. Regardless I'm glad he's here too.

Rondo is one of the greatest games of all time, and everyone should play it. CD-based soundtrack is the icing on the cake.

Same. I mean "What is a Man??" Is one of the most famous lines in gaming history. Regardless I'm glad he's here too.
Of course even having never played a Castlevania game in my life, I know that quote. I guess I just never knew the games had chronology and lineage. I guess I just assumed any game that didn't have Alucard as the main hero featured Simon.

Of course even having never played a Castlevania game in my life, I know that quote. I guess I just never knew the games had chronology and lineage. I guess I just assumed any game that didn't have Alucard as the main hero featured Simon.
There’s quite a few Belmont’s! Simon himself only actually stars in 3 games.

He does appear in a few others but mostly in his 8-Bit form.

Yeah. The Belmonts appearance in Smash has prompted me to do a bit of research. I've read a bit now on Simon, Trevor, Christopher, Richter, Alucard. Game's look fun too, people hailing some later games in the series as classics or must plays. Got to say, Simon and Richter did their job of making me engaged with the source material.

I never had the chance to play a Castlevania game, but I've always supported Simon because he's synonymous with the NES era of game to me. I think NES and I think Mario, Megaman, Contra, Ghost and Goblins, probably a few others, but of course Castlevania.

Last edited:
D
Rondo is easily my favorite of the pre-SotN Castlevania games, so having Richter as an Echo Fighter of one of my most wanted characters was a cool bonus.

The possibility of him or Trevor showing up as an echo of Simon did cross (no pun intended) my mind before, but it wasn't something that many predicted. At most, I recall people suggesting Alph/Koopaling-esque alts of the other Belmonts.

D

Correction, Simon stars canonically only in 2 games (Castlevania 1 and Simon's Quest), but stars in 6 Castlevania games overall (Castlevania 1, Super Castlevania 4, Vampire Killer for the MSX2, Chronicles and Haunted Castle all feature the same plot but different gameplay and design) the most out of any Belmont.

He appears in his 8 bit form in Casltevania Portrait of Ruin as a cameo in the "Greatest Five" Dual Attack (athough he also has a more detailed sprite based on his barbaric look) as a secret playable character in Harmony of Dissonance's boss rush mode (you have to input the Konami code when Konami's logo appears) and is a DLC character in Harmony of Despair.

Correction, Simon stars canonically only in 2 games (Castlevania 1 and Simon's Quest), but stars in 6 Castlevania games overall (Castlevania 1, Super Castlevania 4, Vampire Killer for the MSX2, Chronicles and Haunted Castle all feature the same plot but different gameplay and design) the most out of any Belmont.

He appears in his 8 bit form in Casltevania Portrait of Ruin as a cameo in the "Greatest Five" Dual Attack (athough he also has a more detailed sprite based on his barbaric look) as a secret playable character in Harmony of Dissonance's boss rush mode (you have to input the Konami code when Konami's logo appears) and is a DLC character in Harmony of Despair.
Thank you, I’m rusty on my lore with Simon admittedly.

tbh all I need to know about him is that he's a muscled dude and this game could always use more bara.

Tekken Characters and Goku when?

The absolute best Belmont, I'm beyond happy that he made the cut. I honestly have no reason to play Simon now, Richter has been a bigger part of my life than almost any other Castlevania character. Being playable in SOTN and Portrait of Ruin, he was my main in Harmony of Despair (a game I sunk hundreds of hours in), played Rondo down the road thanks to the Dracula X Collection and it became my favorite Classicvania, he's really just one of my favorite characters in the entire series.

Great article as always!

Last edited:
Def a shock to see Richter added tbh.

Sakurai could've stopped at Simon and call it a day and none would be the wiser, but he went ahead and added Richter as well.

I haven't put much time into Castlevania at all, despite its legacy as a franchise but I do know enough about the games to at least know about some of the important characters. But someone else in my position I'd understand if they haven't done at least some digging.

I really do need to try to get into Castlevania at some point.

Even though Simon was my most wanted character in Smash, he's far from my favorite Castlevania character. I was worried we'd get him, music from the first two games only, and Bela Lugosi Dracula. Needless to say, I'm glad I was wrong. I wanted Richter to at least be an alt, but him being his own character is even better. He's a great addition because he's kind of the bridge between classicvania and metroidvania. I was hoping for a slide attack, and they did us one better and gave us the slide and the jump afterwards. I'm really happy both Simon and Richter are in, and that both parts of the series are acknowledged (3D stuff didn't get much, but I'm okay with that. At least there's the Combat Cross design incorporated for those LoS fans out there).

I started a hard mode run of Richter mode on PoR last night, but if Rondo is on the WiiU VC then I am definitely gonna check that out.

Great article dude!

I was surprised how few knew who Richter was as well. Even if you've never played Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, it's hard to miss Richter in Castlevania: Symphony of the Night.
As someone who’s never played Castlevania and only knew of Simon through Captain N, the term “Metroidvania”, and his theme song through Dashie, I’m not shocked about the lack of people knowing of Richter.

Richter was probably the best surprise of the direct for me. Hope we get Maria at least as a trophy.

Rondo Of Blood is my favorite Castlevania game behind Super Castlevania IV.

If you wanna get into the series those two games are a great starting points.

Last edited:
Richter was probably the best surprise of the direct for me. Hope we get Maria at least as a trophy.

Rondo Of Blood is my favorite Castlevania game behind Super Castlevania IV.

If you wanna get into the series those two games are a great starting points.
I agree, although if people wanted to start with the Metroidvanias first I’d rec Symphony and Aria of Sorrow.

The absolute best Belmont, I'm beyond happy that he made the cut. I honestly have no reason to play Simon now, Richter has been a bigger part of my life than almost any other Castlevania character. Being playable in SOTN and Portrait of Ruin, he was my main in Harmony of Despair (a game I sunk hundreds of hours in), played Rondo down the road thanks to the Dracula X Collection and it became my favorite Classicvania, he's really just one of my favorite characters in the entire series.

Great article as always!
Well this is a rarity, a fellow Richter main in HoD. His base abilities might not have been as stout as, say, Julius or Jonathan, but the Martial Arts is where Richter shines. In all of his playable appearances he's portrayed as being highly athletic, what with his ability to backflip in midair to avoid incoming threats, launch off the ground into a flying kick, and delivering powerful spin kicks/crashing through with spinning whip tackles when enemies decide to get too close. Not to mention delivering wicked uppercuts with his dagger. I mean, he's basic like the other whip wielders, but he's just got this extra flair that makes you feel like you're playing as a powerful, yet balanced, character. Unlike all those Blenders running around.

But enough about that.

I also find it a bit strange that not many players know about Richter. I figure with SotN being the highly rated game that it is his name would be more well known, due to him playing a significant role in the story. Subsequently, one would think the release of DXC would bring him into the limelight once more, so those who missed out on his original adventures could get to know him better. DXC was how I got to really know Richter, though my first experience was through the extra modes in PoR. I thought he was just a blue Simon when I first battled against him.

Anyway, on to Smash. Needless to say, I'm ecstatic to see the Belmonts join the roster. Richter's going to be one of my mains, without question. I'll probably use Simon every now and then, either through Random, picking him just to see if there are any differences between the two, or if Simon is the one that gets unlocked first.

I know it's not as OG... but I was really hoping for Alucard as the Echo, but I get that the moveset is too stark... I loved his game though. He'd just such a cool alternative to this badass 'Heman, Conan the Barbarian' Simon that we're getting.

I picked up the Dracula X Chronicles on PSP after Richter was confirmed (already beat CV1). It's pretty good and the unlockable versions of SotN and the original Rondo of Blood are great too.

Honestly, if you don’t know who Richter is you’ve missed out on some truly amazing games.

Also, I wonder how the phrase “Shaft possessed Richter” looks to people who are strangers to Castlevania.
Def a shock to see Richter added tbh.

Sakurai could've stopped at Simon and call it a day and none would be the wiser, but he went ahead and added Richter as well.

I haven't put much time into Castlevania at all, despite its legacy as a franchise but I do know enough about the games to at least know about some of the important characters. But someone else in my position I'd understand if they haven't done at least some digging.

I really do need to try to get into Castlevania at some point.
Absolutely. Castlevania has produced some of the greatest games on just about every system they’re released on.

Well, except the N64, but we don’t talk about those games.

Well this is a rarity, a fellow Richter main in HoD. His base abilities might not have been as stout as, say, Julius or Jonathan, but the Martial Arts is where Richter shines. In all of his playable appearances he's portrayed as being highly athletic, what with his ability to backflip in midair to avoid incoming threats, launch off the ground into a flying kick, and delivering powerful spin kicks/crashing through with spinning whip tackles when enemies decide to get too close. Not to mention delivering wicked uppercuts with his dagger. I mean, he's basic like the other whip wielders, but he's just got this extra flair that makes you feel like you're playing as a powerful, yet balanced, character. Unlike all those Blenders running around.

But enough about that.

I also find it a bit strange that not many players know about Richter. I figure with SotN being the highly rated game that it is his name would be more well known, due to him playing a significant role in the story. Subsequently, one would think the release of DXC would bring him into the limelight once more, so those who missed out on his original adventures could get to know him better. DXC was how I got to really know Richter, though my first experience was through the extra modes in PoR. I thought he was just a blue Simon when I first battled against him.

Anyway, on to Smash. Needless to say, I'm ecstatic to see the Belmonts join the roster. Richter's going to be one of my mains, without question. I'll probably use Simon every now and then, either through Random, picking him just to see if there are any differences between the two, or if Simon is the one that gets unlocked first.
Heck yeah man, Richter was so much fun. I'm one of those few who dared to brave Chapter 7 without taking turns in the arena like a wimp. A well timed backflip is all you need to dodge Astare's hearts.

I pretty much mainly played Richter, but I also maxed out Simon, Julius and Charlotte and nearly maxed out Maria and Alucard I believe. Harmony was so much fun man, I would KILL for a Switch port.

Last edited:
D
I'll say this, Richter Belmont's inclusion was a total shocker, like Wii Fit Trainer unexpected.
Rondo of Blood, as mentioned previously, was on the TurboGrafx-16 and was released on the Wii Virtual Console. Also on Wii U, but only until January 2019 I recommend this version of the game.
You might want to reword this. The TurboGrafx-16 Wii Virtual Console release, which is unavailable if you did not put in Wii Points by the end of March, 2018, will no longer be for sale come January, 2019. Only the SNES version is available on purchase on the Wii U which is considered the inferior version of the game. I've played the former myself and heartily recommend it to anyone who can get their hands on it.

Not that you didn't know this already but it's best to prevent confusion from coming up in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's pretty intriguing too, a friend of mine had been drawing a lot of Castlevania-fanart as of last months prior to these reveals, so I was slowly been rekindling my interest on the series after she drew ton of Belmonts (and I definitely liked when some Ryu Belmont was in the mix). Prior that I tried to explore the series probably 3 years back or so out of finding more about Alucard (after knowing him loosely as Kid Dracula in Parodius-games), and played down CS1 and RoB. I tried to move on to SoTN, but it was bit too early IMO due not clearing RoB yet (though I certainly liked what I was going to be experiencing).

Quite threw us outta loop when both Simon and Richter were revealed, I was though really ecstatic after I regained my consciousness on what I was now receiving. Definitely can't wait to pick him up.

I'll say this, Richter Belmont's inclusion was a total shocker, like Wii Fit Trainer unexpected.
I got to agree, I mean I was sorta wishful-thinking him on being an alt, but apparently a fully-fledged character that basically combined his abilities with Simon's for one amazing newcomer. Definitely preferring that to Wii Fit Trainer's reveal and overall existence.

Top Bottom