• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is Japan's "Ridley"?

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
I mean Sakurai specifically said on Treehouse that Ridley was a bone thrown to Western fans. I think K. Rool is also generally a Western only request. For that matter, Little Mac was a highly requested character in the West that was never all that popular in Japan.

So if Sakurai were to put in a character for just the Japanese fans, who would it be? Takamaru would have been my first guess, but he's out. I've heard maybe Ashley, and I could see it but I ABSOLUTELY do not buy Geno as a newcomer. Are there any other characters that are much more popular in Japan that are less known over here? Does anyone here speak Japanese and ever troll their forums?

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Ashley is incredibly popular over there in Japan. She's absent from the Assist trophy list which raises eyebrows.

For worldwide Popularity K.Rool is popular everywhere.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah ditto Ashley I think is Japan's #1 Ballot choice and Ridley is the West's #1 choice. Bayonetta I think was that for Europe.

K. Rool is the worldwide ballot choice in terms of being overall popular everywhere.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
YK. Rool is the worldwide ballot choice in terms of being overall popular everywhere.
Is there any hard data for that? Or just a gauge on message boards in other territories? I kinda think for all we know japan could have had choices like daisy and hatsune miku as higher ballot totals than him, but we wont ever know so some just assume that since hes all thats left.

Last edited:

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
Is there any hard data for that? Or just a gauge on message boards in other territories? I kinda think for all we know japan could have had choices like daisy and hatsune miku as higher ballot totals than him, but we wont ever know so some just assume that since hes all thats left.
Yeah that's what I'm really curious about. People kind of just assert this stuff like "Oh yeah, Ashley for sure", but how do you know that?

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Is there any hard data for that? Or just a gauge on message boards in other territories? I kinda think for all we know japan could have had choices like daisy and hatsune miku as higher ballot totals but we wont ever know so some just assume
Well his Mii Costume was treated as a big deal for Smash 4 and he's the only character with immense popularity in both the West and Japan (and I mean on a big level).

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Yeah that's what I'm really curious about. People kind of just assert this stuff like "Oh yeah, Ashley for sure", but how do you know that?
It's impossible to prove as we don't have clear cut data, but Ashley gets a LOT of love and advertisement in Japan. Even being used to promote games she isn't in. Sakurai even acknowledged Ashley's growing popularity in an interview after Smash 4 came out, and she's even had more popularity growth since then, basically being the mascot for the Badge Arcade (The Badge Arcade Bunny is now an Assist Trophy too). She was also given several 3DS themes.

Last edited:

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Apparently Toad is insanely popular over there, but they've given up hope because of Peach's moveset.

harukaamami

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Ashley is exactly Japan's Ridley, but she is the most popular viable newcomer. Their most wanted is probably Miku or Goku.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I hear Arle Nadja from Puyo Puyo is very popular over there. As for first party, is there anyone who even rivals Ashley?

I’m very curious about his now, will attempt to research.

StormC

Smash Hero
The best data we have is PushDustin looking for 2,000 "votes" on Japanese social media.

https://sourcegaming.info/2015/09/13/japantopdlcpt2/

The idea that K. Rool is mainly a western request is a myth. Both him and the DKC series are very popular in Japan, and when Ridley was revealed, a lot of Japanese fans asked "where's K. Rool?" on Twitter. Obviously this poll is not extensive or absolute. But I think it gives a general idea. I'd also say Bandana Dee is very popular there, just looking at fanart and whatnot.

Last edited:

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
I'm actually a little curious of this too. Ridley does seem more of a western request. Surprising to see K. Rool at the top of that poll.
Ashley I could kind of believe, same goes for Arle. and definitely Bandana Dee. (and no, I don't think they'd be requesting Goku. Miku maybe. and some probably want Jibanyan)
I'd love to look into this a little more myself.
does anyone know of any Japanese smash bros forums/ online communities i can check out?

Top Bottom