• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is going to be your secondary for the hard counter?

1FC0

Smash Lord
Let's address the elephant in the room that is Shulk's new hard counter. Who are you planning on using for this unwinnable matchup?

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
If by "elephant" you mean "Ryu", which I'm going to guess you might be referring to, then no it's not a hard counter. While it's true that Ryu automatically turns to face his opponent, this is after the said lag is finished no? And so far, I haven't heard of de-confirmation or evidence anywhere about Ryu automatically turning around to face the opponent if he's airborne drifting or still in tumble fall. If he can't turn around to face you in the air, and if Focus operates the same way, then Backslash won't be useful compared to Uair destroying the option. Even so, the panic factor can play a role and can still Backslash Ryu if he cannot turn around while airborne.

Otherwise, If it's not Ryu, then who is the unwinnable matchup?:p

1FC0

Smash Lord
Personally I would recommend using Shulk for 2v2 matches only since there Ryu loses his ability to turn around automatically and probably becomes much more manageable because of that.

For 1v1 I would fall back on R.O.B. because R.O.B.'s B> is pretty similiar to Shulk's since they both hit the opponent while being able to move forward but R.O.B.'s works good on the opponents front as well.

Top Bottom