• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is easier to play among the top-tiers?

Which character is easier to pick up and play?

• Total voters

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hi guys,

Which character would you say is the easiest character to pick and play between:4pikachu::4sheik::4zss::rosalina:? This thread is a form of survey, so you're not forced to reply. Otherwise, if you chose X character, explain why he (or she)'s easier compared to the rest. I just chose these four characters, because most people will put them in top 4 best characters in the game. From my experience, it's:4zss:.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
If you really want to nail it down to those four, I'd say Zero Suit Samus, yes. Her haters don't call her Zero Skill Spamus for nothing.
However, if you went for High Tiers as well, like the people in the Top 15 (IMO, not necessarily in this order, :4ryu::4mario::4sonic::4falcon::4fox::4cloud::4ness::4pit::4darkpit::4diddy::4metaknight::4villager:) you could probably include Mario, Sonic and Cloud in that list as well.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
If you really want to nail it down to those four, I'd say Zero Suit Samus, yes. Her haters don't call her Zero Skill Spamus for nothing.
However, if you went for High Tiers as well, like the people in the Top 15 (IMO, not necessarily in this order, :4ryu::4mario::4sonic::4falcon::4fox::4cloud::4ness::4pit::4darkpit::4diddy::4metaknight::4villager:) you could probably include Mario, Sonic and Cloud in that list as well.
Can definitely see cloud. I picked him up recently and have been doing consistently well.

Also Pit and Dark Pit seem to be especially good for beginners because of their fast startups in particular. DP's electroshock buff seems to make him more optimal than ever at this point (though obviously it shouldn't be spammed). But the Angels really have a good all-around kit, with a decent projectile and strong recovery. They're just really underrated.

Kulty

Smash Ace
I agree with Mario and Cloud, but Sonic is kinda difficult to play, since his advanced techniques can be quite technical to execute. I can also add Captain Falcon since he has a low learning curve in this game.

As I thought, I mainly don`t like ZSS, because she's so top-tier and so easy to pick up and play. Plus, her reward is so dumb. I prefer Sheik and Pikachu, because they really give you a good sense of reward of proper control and precision.

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
I'd say either Zero Suit Samus or Rosalina and Luma.

While of course you can play these characters really good and make rather amazing moves, it's usually not that difficult to land an early and very simple kill; like Rosalina's u-airs or Zero Suit Samus' down-b spams.

I recently picked up Rosalina as secondary and Luma is really doing a lot of the work that I barely have to control much of at all.

rudekraizor

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5301-1095-4320
So I voted Pikachu because first of all, I actually play/main Rosalina & Luma, and despite what anyone says, in my opinion, she is not easy (I'll go into more detail). Second of all, I can't play Shiek or ZSS for my life LOL I just can't. Their playstyles don't sit well with me. They make me uncomfortable; but I can appreciate good plays from them.

So yea I guess for me I have an easier time to just sort of "pick up and play" Pikachu, I do fairly decent with him when I do play him rarely, the only hard/technical thing for me as Pikachu is the Up-B recovery and the mix-ups he can do with it (which is very hard to deal with).

As for Rosalina, I see why people think she's easy to play. She has many great options and advantages over the majority of the cast that it makes it seem like you don't have to do much to win with her (like seriously hitboxes everywhere). But she does have her weaknesses (like any other character). She's a great character, but she has a very high learning curve = takes a while to get really good with her.

On the more technical level of Rosa you have to always have stage control (Luma can die to pretty much anything if your back is to the ledge), you have to know when is the best option to have Luma shot out to apply pressure or when to keep him near for safety, you have to know how to lunar land properly, you have to know how to angle her Up-B correctly (I've seen so many people on For Glory switching to Rosa after I've beat them only to see them SD as soon as they're off-stage due to the weird angle of Rosa's recovery), I can go on but you get the point I hope.

All in all, Rosalina is one of the hardest characters to fight against imo; this is coming from a Rosa main, I understand the struggle.
But she is also one of the hardest to master.

tl;dr Rosalina main can't play shiek/zss, Pikachu is fairly easy

Last edited:

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
Cloud because as Sakurai said "A lot of people would want to play this character so I made him easy to play."

apparently fuz

legendary doesn't fit me.
NNID
googlemynumber
3DS FC
1908-0730-5856
I don't think there is an 'easiest top tier' to play, purely because we all prefer different playstyles and at different paces. For example, I'm starting to pick up Sheik just to gather information on what she does and how I can deal with her. As a ZSS main, I'm more accustomed to the rush-down playstyle, meaning that me picking up Sheik isn't really that hard for me to do. She clicks with me as a character. Just because I find Sheik easy doesn't mean she's an easy character to pick up overall.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
Rosalina or Sheik. ZSS has the hardest neutral among all other tiers so the fact she's so ahead of everyone else in the poll is mind boggling to me. This character isn't easy to control and her combos require you to follow DI and whatnot, whereas Rosalina has amazing smash attacks that new users can freely spam, luma to get her back, and amazing aerials, only tough part is recovering, cuz her up b can be hard to maneuver. Sheik is also easy to pick up if you understand that the character revolves around how quickly you can get your aerials out, and the concept of fastfalling and such.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Rosalina or Sheik. ZSS has the hardest neutral among all other tiers so the fact she's so ahead of everyone else in the poll is mind boggling to me. This character isn't easy to control and her combos require you to follow DI and whatnot, whereas Rosalina has amazing smash attacks that new users can freely spam, luma to get her back, and amazing aerials, only tough part is recovering, cuz her up b can be hard to maneuver. Sheik is also easy to pick up if you understand that the character revolves around how quickly you can get your aerials out, and the concept of fastfalling and such.
The only thing you need to practice as ZSS is combos (and your options in multiple scenarios, but that's everybody). Sheik has multiple stuff to use in the neutral (needle canceling being the most important). Rosaluma has Luna to manipulate and control.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
Out of the 4 you chose, I would say ZSS. Fundamentals go a long way with her and the tools at her disposal are top-notch.

Pikachu and Shiek struggle to kill without reads, confirms, or edgeguards. And Rosa, while easy-ish to get used to, will be a struggle to master due to the need to keep Luma intact for as long as possible. (as well as her fairly unique playstyle)

Personally, I would say play Mario, Captain Falcon, or Cloud. They are all straightforward and high tier.

PenguinStorm

Smash Rookie
Easiest top tiers:

:4cloud2: :4mario: :4sonic: :4zss: :4bayonetta:are very easily to learn and very rewarding.
:4falcon::4ness::4pit::4darkpit: :4fox:are easy to learn but you have to work hard against tough matchups.
:4sheik::4metaknight::4villager: :4ryu: :4pikachu: are quite technical but are rewarding to master (since they're top tier)

Every other top tier is somewhere in that spectrum.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Personally, I think that if you have good skill in execution, pick up Shiek. Her combos and gameplan are not difficult strategy-wise, but the physical demand required to execute those combos is very high. If you feel confident with your hands, and are very well coordinated, I would say Sheik for sure.

Otherwise, out of those four I would pick Rosalina just because if you want to play Rosalina at a low level, you can still get good results. Just don't bother with shooting luma. Keep it next to you as a disjoint/meat shield. If you just play Rosa with basic knowledge of her moveset, she is still very good. However if you want to get to Dabuz level of skill with her, she is probably one of the hardest characters to master. So in a nutshell, Rosa is easy to learn, hard to master.

Probably the easiest way to get results though IMO is Cloud. Anyone that doesn't respect and pressure you at the same time is going to get destroyed just by using basic tactics.

Donkey_Inferno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkey_Inferno
3DS FC
4768-7553-7018
I would say Sheik is the easiest character in the world to pick up IMO. Once you get the Forward Grab to Bouncing Fish down, and the Down Grab to Up Air down, and the Tinder Combo down. It's pretty damn easy to win.

I'd say ZSS is definitely in 2nd Place for this one.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
I would say Sheik is the easiest character in the world to pick up IMO. Once you get the Forward Grab to Bouncing Fish down, and the Down Grab to Up Air down, and the Tinder Combo down. It's pretty damn easy to win.

There's a lot more to Sheik than that, though. That'd be like saying that knowing how to wobble is all you need to do to play Ice Climbers in Melee.

Donkey_Inferno

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Donkey_Inferno
3DS FC
4768-7553-7018
There's a lot more to Sheik than that, though. That'd be like saying that knowing how to wobble is all you need to do to play Ice Climbers in Melee.
Oh trust me I definitely know that to be true.

I'm just saying that literally EVERY local I go to. 90% of the people there play Sheik. And I would say 75% of every match played is spent doing those 3 things.

I'd love to see way more combos from her, but as of right now, I'm not

Megamang

Smash Lord
One of the toughest things to do in this game is approach against a skilled player, especially if you are working against the clock as well. We see aggression at the highest level, but even then it isn't blind and the very best player plays an interesting hybrid style. With shiek, you can force everyone to approach for multiple reasons. Needles win pretty much every projectile war, even shutting down projectile characters like duck hunt dog and megaman. She has confirms for the first 50% or so, which means you will usually take the lead unless you somehow don't land a fair and get beat up badly before then. She also has kills from both grabs and neutral tools (such as weak hit nair to bouncing fish kill confirm) so the chance of getting the first stock can be moved in your favor if you aren't fighting a character with similar abilities. The characters with confirms aren't as good in neutral, and those competitive in neutral aren't as good at confirming, with few exceptions. These are the top tiers. So shiek has the answers, but it is up to the player to put it together.

So you are playing against someone trying to put this together better than you with their tools. Thats the true challenge of fighting games, as all of your tools ideally have counterplay. With anyone, you have to make some sort of good play to get a kill. Sure shiek makes them approach and has easier methods to set up the kill, but in exchange she is relatively delicate. Also, everyone knows how to play the MU because their scene has a good shiek. Pika is a really difficult character, but as you get to a certain level you benefit from people having no idea how to deal with your tools. You still see ESAM drop below the stage and top level players walk up and look over the edge like dodo birds while they get hit with a thunderbolt. So in that way Pika's tools have an advantage, though they may not be as good as shieks.

Then we have ZSS and Ryu type characters where they kill so fast, you only have to read the opponent less to win the game. Optimization of combo and advantage game lets you net wins before the opponent gets their skill geared up and before they start reading you well. Some people might find this easier.

And thats the point. Find a set of tools which benefits you the most, whether that be through winning or through having a good time. Don't worry yourself with who is having an easier time doing what, because we don't have a true measure of how difficult something is. Because in the end, if you are competing, everyone should be applying the same amount of effort: all that they have.

Jcsaenz1

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4210-4404-7146
From my point of view, it really depends when you pick them up. I found out that early on when I started developing myself that :4zss: was a very easy top tier to get the hang of. But recently I've tried picking up :4sheik: recently and it's working out well for me, because I've already gotten hang of the fundamentals necessary to start well with her due to playing with other sort of quick characters for quite some time, namely :4tlink:. With the fundamentals already taken care of, it's easier to get creative with her combos and speed and being an efficient :4sheik: player.

Mokeyo

Smash Rookie
At any decent level of play Zero Suit Samus is hardly an easy character to play as her neutral is notably lacking compared to most other top tiers. Of the characters you've listed I'd say Rosalina is the most straightforward, but still not as braindead as some may claim.

If you want an easy top-tier experience then pick Cloud, Mario or Sonic.

David Viran

Smash Lord
At any decent level of play Zero Suit Samus is hardly an easy character to play as her neutral is notably lacking compared to most other top tiers. Of the characters you've listed I'd say Rosalina is the most straightforward, but still not as braindead as some may claim.

At a low level when people don't know good DI then zss is easy. Once you get to mid level and have to actually develope a neutral is when things get hard. I wouldn't say zss is actually lacking in neutral tho it's just hard to get a grasp on.

Megamang

Smash Lord
I think ZSS will feel the pain much like melee falco as consistent powershielding makes its way down the skill tiers.

Kulty

Smash Ace

As someone who used to main Sonic, I kinda disagree, because Sonic does require some degree of technical skill in order to perform very well with him. Sure, many people find him annoying, but he's not braindead (as opposed to Ness) at all. With Sonic, you need to know the timing of the Instant Spin Dash, Platform cancelling with Spring Jump, the Spinshot, etc. In a nutshell, Sonic is not as easy as Smashers would think.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Even Mario isn't as easy as people think. Yeah, he's still easy in comparison to others, but using Mario isn't gonna net you isntant wins.

People just love to whine about Down Throw>Up Tilt. First, you need to actualy a grab with Mario for that to work, seeing how all of the High to Top Tiers are fast and how Mario's grab range is bleh, that's actually easier said that done without a read.
Then, there's the fact that this combo doesn't actually work on most characters heavier than Mario at 0%. Down Throw has so little hitstun and base knockback, they just land on the floor and can perfect shield your attack.
If you finally do get it... even people like Roy and Captain Falcon escape after the third hit. Lighter characters can escape after the first Up Tilt, sometimes. Just DI away and jump at the right time, people!

Another throw combo that's popular with him is Up Throw>Down Air. People call this the Ally Combo because he popularized it, but even I knew this was a thing before I watched him play. This combo works on all characters at 0%, I believe. Alteast it has that. But reacting fast enough and actually landing a followup after the Down Air isn't easy. This combo also stops working really early as well.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Even Mario isn't as easy as people think. Yeah, he's still easy in comparison to others, but using Mario isn't gonna net you isntant wins.

People just love to whine about Down Throw>Up Tilt. First, you need to actualy a grab with Mario for that to work, seeing how all of the High to Top Tiers are fast and how Mario's grab range is bleh, that's actually easier said that done without a read.
Then, there's the fact that this combo doesn't actually work on most characters heavier than Mario at 0%. Down Throw has so little hitstun and base knockback, they just land on the floor and can perfect shield your attack.
If you finally do get it... even people like Roy and Captain Falcon escape after the third hit. Lighter characters can escape after the first Up Tilt, sometimes. Just DI away and jump at the right time, people!

Another throw combo that's popular with him is Up Throw>Down Air. People call this the Ally Combo because he popularized it, but even I knew this was a thing before I watched him play. This combo works on all characters at 0%, I believe. Alteast it has that. But reacting fast enough and actually landing a followup after the Down Air isn't easy. This combo also stops working really early as well.
Thank you. Finally someone who understands how Mario is not braindead and an easy character to master. I'm so tired of people complaining about how Mario is too easy to play and too good... As for the Ally combo, every character can escape the down-air final hit except for:4bowser::4dedede::4ganondorf::4jigglypuff::4dk:. However, Jiggs can escape with Rest (since it's frame 1), but very risky and DK can escape with Up-B.

ArikadoSD

the cream of the crop
NNID
ArikadoSD
3DS FC
0748-2790-0166
I mean I don't think it's really complaining when people say mario is easy. Mario being easy is a well established fact lol. You can't deny his combos are very easy to string together and do, and how his usmash and dsmash is for the most part safe, and the character in general is very straightforward.

Mario as a character is fine, but when people say he's easy they're not really complaining/asking for a nerf.

also re: people calling the ally combo the ally combo even though it's been around before he started to use it.. that's just how things are. He was the firs tto be on a stream that thousands were watching and did it, so it's called after him cuz he popularized it. We all know wobbling has been around before wobbles but it's called after him cuz he popularized it (i believe so anyway), Fox's uair punishes in melee are called the swedes' punish cuz Leffen/Armada use them most (even though it's been there for years), MK's ff bair spike to dtilt jab lock is sometimes called the Leo/Abadango combo cuz they first used it on stream... etc, so honestly I don't know why you're complaining about something as trivial as that.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
I mean I don't think it's really complaining when people say mario is easy. Mario being easy is a well established fact lol. You can't deny his combos are very easy to string together and do, and how his usmash and dsmash is for the most part safe, and the character in general is very straightforward.

Mario as a character is fine, but when people say he's easy they're not really complaining/asking for a nerf.

also re: people calling the ally combo the ally combo even though it's been around before he started to use it.. that's just how things are. He was the firs tto be on a stream that thousands were watching and did it, so it's called after him cuz he popularized it. We all know wobbling has been around before wobbles but it's called after him cuz he popularized it (i believe so anyway), Fox's uair punishes in melee are called the swedes' punish cuz Leffen/Armada use them most (even though it's been there for years), MK's ff bair spike to dtilt jab lock is sometimes called the Leo/Abadango combo cuz they first used it on stream... etc, so honestly I don't know why you're complaining about something as trivial as that.
Mario has always been easy but he's never been good before. Now he's an excellent character and his learning curve is still very low. I see a lot of people ******** about him because of that.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I voted Rosalina for a possibly odd reason: She plays a lot slower than Pikachu, Sheik or ZSS do, so it's easier (IMO) to grasp what she can do and execute it in a match. The most complex tech she has is Lunar Landing, which is simply landing with an aerial such that her hitboxes don't actually come out. But she's otherwise pretty sedate, relatively speaking, and doesn't require much in the way of technical execution -- most of the skill in using her lies in manipulating Luma, more of a mental exercise than anything else.

Mokeyo

Smash Rookie
As a Mario/Sheik main I can honestly admit that Mario is braindead compared to most other characters. Any Mario main who doesn't think this is kidding themselves. Picking Mario is no easy-win button but the character really doesn't have many complexities and doesn't take much to master.

This is not to take anything away from talented players who choose to use Mario, but if we're talking comparatively and weighing up top tiers based on their ease of use then there is no question the dude is super easy. I've beaten players far more talented than I simply by abusing his core mechanics.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467

Against idiots.

Onoh

Smash Cadet
NNID
benclaremom
I would say out of the four asked that Rosa is the easiest in my opinion. Yes, ZSS has great frame-data and can spam moves easily, but I feel her movement and neutral are awkward for me. Missing a grab is costly and she doesn't have the greatest zoning. That's big thing for me since I play more zoning/wall characters and Rosa can keep her space well and has some easy up air strings. I feel more comfortable with her. I will say though Ness is the easiest out of all of them though. You pretty much just need to know 4 moves to be good at an intermediate level with him.

MarMarTheGreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dylannumar2
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
ZSS can be played decently easily compared to other Top Tiers but mastering her is a whole other story

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Easiest top tier IMO is Cloud. His entire kit makes sense just structurally to basically everybody I've seen play him for the first couple of times, and his meta explains itself pretty clearly.

He will teach you proper recovery mixups though which some top tiers can omit in a lot of instances.

Top Bottom