• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Who Is Diego Umejuarez? - Ryu Q&A Thread

Deezxnutz

Smash Cadet
Other than DI and jump away how do you handle Utilt strings like Mario's, Fox, Toon, etc.? I assume FADC back would work.

Ghazis

Smash Rookie
Hey guys I'm a Luigi main, just asking out of curiosity, what are some of Ryu's weaknesses? My friends were arguing about whether or not Ryu was op and they asked me if he had a weakness and I realized I couldn't think of a weakness he had, not saying he's op cause I know he's beatable
But still any thoughts?

Deezxnutz

Smash Cadet
Hey guys I'm a Luigi main, just asking out of curiosity, what are some of Ryu's weaknesses? My friends were arguing about whether or not Ryu was op and they asked me if he had a weakness and I realized I couldn't think of a weakness he had, not saying he's op cause I know he's beatable
But still any thoughts?
To name a few his walk/run speed is slow, gets combo'd hard and arguably loses to quock characters pretty bad

Ghazis

Smash Rookie
I don't know he runs around Marios speed so he isn't THAT slow, I agree on the combo thing though his FA doesn't let slower characters combo him effectively, and around how fast? I think as long as you aren't FA happy against characters with multi hit boxes you won't have that much of a problem and it evens the MU up a little.

Ghazis

Smash Rookie
Ah, never mind I found a list of his weaknesses, though alot of it seems false and dragged out to make his minor weaknesses look a little more major I'll take it. :052:

Ryuki of Spiral Rhapsody

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
h o w
h o w
h o w

how do i beat sonic as ryu

Seriously, wow, I never faced an at-least-decent Sonic as Ryu and hated my life so much until now

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
h o w
h o w
h o w

how do i beat sonic as ryu

Seriously, wow, I never faced an at-least-decent Sonic as Ryu and hated my life so much until now
Sonic is definitely one of our harder top-tier matchups but he's not extremely difficult. You just really have to watch the Sonic and focus on his Spindash habits, when he goes in compared to what actions you do.

Shakunetsu is a great tool to outspace him and force the approach. Furthermore, he dies relatively early (84% on FD) which is nice. B-Air wall of pain is pretty great, too.

Hope this helped :)

WD40

Smash Apprentice
NNID
adamwd
Ah, never mind I found a list of his weaknesses, though alot of it seems false and dragged out to make his minor weaknesses look a little more major I'll take it. :052:
Honestly, I think his biggest weakness is the increased potential for misinput. If you aren't always cognizant of which direction Ryu is facing, it is very easy to input a true tatsu instead of a shaku hadouken. That's just one misinput scenario of many. An accidental tatsu input can kill all the momentum you had and can afford the opponent an easy punish combo that may result in a loss of stock. These mistakes definitely go down the more time you put into Ryu, but the potential is always there.

Other than DI and jump away how do you handle Utilt strings like Mario's, Fox, Toon, etc.? I assume FADC back would work.
Mashing nair should also work against Mario and TL utilt, as Ryus nair is frame 4 while Marios utilt is frame 5, and TL is even later. Fox utilt is frame 3 though I believe. So FADC and DI is your best option there.

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
So I was at a tournament yesterday and played our up and coming :4ryu: main after he beat one of our top players. Not the first time we played but she showed off some slick moves. I won but I was pretty much scared the whole time haha. He made the character look so fun and stylish. I'm curious about people's experience learning him and how difficult it is. I was considering trying him out. Thank you in advance for any honest answers.

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
So I was at a tournament yesterday and played our up and coming :4ryu: main after he beat one of our top players. Not the first time we played but she showed off some slick moves. I won but I was pretty much scared the whole time haha. He made the character look so fun and stylish. I'm curious about people's experience learning him and how difficult it is. I was considering trying him out. Thank you in advance for any honest answers.
:4ryu:, in my opinion, is the most fun character to play in this game. All you have to do is learn his BnBs and solid combo strings you are completely fine.

I'll be honest, he was a little difficult to get used to at first but once you understand him, he is. INSANE.

I mean, I was testing with @BlueMenace and we found combos which killed :4fox: on Battefield at 35%, with NO rage. These are true combinations and he will only get better and better as his soft F-Air footstool combos get better. Try this character, he really needs more rep.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
:4ryu:, in my opinion, is the most fun character to play in this game. All you have to do is learn his BnBs and solid combo strings you are completely fine.

I'll be honest, he was a little difficult to get used to at first but once you understand him, he is. INSANE.

I mean, I was testing with @BlueMenace and we found combos which killed :4fox: on Battefield at 35%, with NO rage. These are true combinations and he will only get better and better as his soft F-Air footstool combos get better. Try this character, he really needs more rep.
Wowwwwww. Well then. That is something else lol. Thank you for your answer. I think I'll give it a go. I don't mind the higher learning curve if the reward is worth it.

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
Wowwwwww. Well then. That is something else lol. Thank you for your answer. I think I'll give it a go. I don't mind the higher learning curve if the reward is worth it.
I made a post a little while back in the "Character Competitive Impressions" forum stating what I think on the learning curve of each character. In the grand spectrum, :4ryu: really isn't that hard to play. Like I said previously, don't get me wrong because he's not easy but when you strike a comparison between learning an optimal :4ryu: vs. say an optimal :foxmelee:, there really is no chance for Ryu. Putting just a little extra time into a character like Ryu is so rewarding in Smash 4 and I will always suggest people to play him.

He's one of the best characters in the game and almost nobody represents him, it's ridiculous.

malicecrossrevolver

Smash Apprentice
Hello Ryu friends! I found a little combo that never fails to land and is useful in the right condition (given that it isn't already known). When you do a level 1 focus attack, you and do a quick forward advance then a jumping-tatsumaki. Hits every time so far. So [Focus > FADC > Rising-Tatsumaki. ]

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
Hello Ryu friends! I found a little combo that never fails to land and is useful in the right condition (given that it isn't already known). When you do a level 1 focus attack, you and do a quick forward advance then a jumping-tatsumaki. Hits every time so far. So [Focus > FADC > Rising-Tatsumaki. ]
This seems alright but why would I use Tastumaki instead of a simple F-Air? F-Air still does a lot of damage an didn't NEARLY as punishable.

Is there any specific reason?

malicecrossrevolver

Smash Apprentice
This seems alright but why would I use Tastumaki instead of a simple F-Air? F-Air still does a lot of damage an didn't NEARLY as punishable.

Is there any specific reason?
I just recently started using this combo and I have gotten a KO from 0 percent. I did it near the edge on Cloud, and it pushed him far enough that he didn't' make it back. Maybe it was a fluke, but at higher damage I bet it can make anyone hit the Horizon. But most importantly, the reason you would do this, is cause it looks ****ing cool! And because you can.

And sometimes, the up-air misses. This seems to be easier.

Here is a video where I do it, I get a KO after doing it at the start, but it was definitely a fluke. Still looks cool to me.

Last edited:

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
I just recently started using this combo and I have gotten a KO from 0 percent. I did it near the edge on Cloud, and it pushed him far enough that he didn't' make it back. Maybe it was a fluke, but at higher damage I bet it can make anyone hit the Horizon. But most importantly, the reason you would do this, is cause it looks ****ing cool! And because you can.

And sometimes, the up-air misses. This seems to be easier.

Here is a video where I do it, I get a KO after doing it at the start, but it was definitely a fluke. Still looks cool to me.
Interesting. I'll definitely try it against characters who have a crappy recovery or a slow enough so they can't punish it. Characters such as :4cloud:, :4littlemac: and :4ganondorf: (as shown in your video).

If you don't mind, I'd actually like to critique your gameplay a bit. You often combo from L. UTilt -> H. UTilt -> SRK which, in my opinion, is really not good because it stales Shoryuken. You're better off locking them as much as possible and simply finishing with a H. UTilt or H. FTilt, depending on their DI. Just a little tidbit. Also, mix up your combo game off FA rather than doing the same thing over and over.

SameOldG

Smash Rookie
Hey does anyone use FA offstage? I've been trying some crazy things with Ryu lately... mainly just because. For example jump TO jump+fadc away from the stage TO nair TO Tatsu back to the stage TO srk (if necessary). Have not found a use for it except for mind games against a weak/predictable recovery. Anybody venture way off stage otherwise?

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
Hey does anyone use FA offstage? I've been trying some crazy things with Ryu lately... mainly just because. For example jump TO jump+fadc away from the stage TO nair TO Tatsu back to the stage TO srk (if necessary). Have not found a use for it except for mind games against a weak/predictable recovery. Anybody venture way off stage otherwise?
I don't so much use FA off-stage for offensive maneuvers, rather, I use it defensively to get back to the stage. Mixing up rising FA, Tastumaki and SRK recovery is very versatile and it is hard for the opponent to predict.

FA is extremely useful when recovering against :4zss: because it stops a spike from her Flip Kick.

Ryuki of Spiral Rhapsody

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
I wouldn't try going too far off stage; I don't find Ryu to be that sort of character.
The farthest my Ryu would ever go off-stage is an FADC from the ledge to either Dair or Bair, or run off edge into a Dair.

Occasionally, I might jump off and try reading my opponent (who happens to be using a character with a not so good recovery) by "chasing" them in the air with a single jump then flying back to the edge with a tatsu; while you're flying back to the edge, if the kick lands on the opponent who's behind you, it should knock them off-screen.

malicecrossrevolver

Smash Apprentice
It's funny you guys are talking about FADC off-stage. I found a use for it! If you are on the ledge, press back, then forward jump, then immediately down B to do a Focus. You can land on the ledge perfectly, to either absorb an attack, step back to remain stationary, or advance forward. A made a video where I try to focus on doing what I just said.

Attempts made were at 00:11, 00:24, 00:38 (failed), 1:03 (my favorite), 1:40, 2:22 (failed), 2:24.

I seem to have trouble with stages with "pointy" edges. And this technique seems to work best in square stages like this. Also this isn't my best fight since I was focusing on FADC. But can you guys rate my Ryu again. Thanks.

Last edited:

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
It's funny you guys are talking about FADC off-stage. I found a use for it! If you are on the ledge, press back, then forward jump, then immediately down B to do a Focus. You can land on the ledge perfectly, to either absorb an attack, step back to remain stationary, or advance forward. A made a video where I try to focus on doing what I just said.

Attempts made were at 00:11, 00:24, 00:38 (failed), 1:03 (my favorite), 1:40, 2:22 (failed), 2:24.

I seem to have trouble with stages with "pointy" edges. And this technique seems to work best in square stages like this. Also this isn't my best fight since I was focusing on FADC. But can you guys rate my Ryu again. Thanks.
Good to see you are trying to learn new tech but this has been a thing for a while now. It's a great mix-up option but it's easier if you set your L-Button to Jump in which case you can go Drop-Down -> Jump -> Rising FA -> Dash Cancel which gets you back on stage.

NNID
MasterHavik
I just brought ryu on xmas day along with a few other goodies. He is my favorite of the dlc I bought (I picked up Cloud and Mewtwo as well).

I got a few questions though. For starters does he has any good throws that can start a combo? Also I have played some of the SF games before and is use to how you space in SF. It is possible to play him like how he plays in the SF games fully? Lastly, how good is his perfect pivot?

Last edited:

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
I just brought ryu on xmas day along with a few other goodies. He is my favorite of the dlc I bought (I picked up Cloud and Mewtwo as well).

I got a few questions though. For starters does he has any good throws that can start a combo? Also I have played some of the SF games before and is use to how you space in SF. It is possible to play him like how he plays in the SF games fully? Lastly, how good is his perfect pivot?
None of his throws combo as they are all for position pretty much. Down-Throw can combo into F-Air below 10-15% and F-Smash if you read an airdodge. The flipside is that Up-Throw is really good in teams because it has a hitbox on recovery. B-Throw and F-Throw both do meaty damage, 12% and 10% respectively, and are great for positioning.

You do have to incorporate elements of his playstyle from Street Fighter because that is simply the way he was designed. Using him as a bait & punish character along with the standard combos (Up-Tilt locks, D-Tilt > Tatsu / Hadouken / Shakunetsu) seems to be his best strategy in the current Smash 4 metagame. His perfect pivot and extended dash dance really are not good and really aren't worth utilising that much. If you can incorporate it into his game as a mixup it could be decent but it just doesn't fit his playstyle.

Hope this helped. :4ryu:

Rocxidi

Smash Rookie
I just bought Ryu and I have a quick question. Does Up B Shoryuken stale your true Shoryuken?

Rocxidi

Smash Rookie
So there's nothing wrong with using Shoryuken in low percent combos or to recover when close to enemies (so it doesn't stale)?

Do his weak and strong tilts also stale separately?

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
I just bought Ryu and I have a quick question. Does Up B Shoryuken stale your true Shoryuken?
Nope, Ryus input moves stale independently of their non-input versions.
So there's nothing wrong with using Shoryuken in low percent combos or to recover when close to enemies (so it doesn't stale)?

Do his weak and strong tilts also stale separately?

Ok, I'm really not sure where this misinformation has come from but it is completely wrong. All of Ryu's special moves, whether they have been used with the true input or not, stale exactly the same. Inputting Up + B DOES stale TSRK as does inputting Left / Right + B stales True Tatsumaki.

Just stay away from using TSRK or Up + B in any combos to keep it fresh for when you ACTUALLY need it. Getting an extra 7-8% after a H. U-Tilt is not worth it at all when the move then kills later. Hitting the opponent with Up + B when recovering will still stale the move but there isn't much you can do about that. SRK sharks through the stage and some people might be unaware of this.

His light and hard tilts stale separately because they are completely different moves. L. F-Tilt is a simple, frame 6-11 invincible poke where H. F-Tilt is Ryu's Collarbone Breaker, a move that does 9% and massive shield damage. Hopefully this was cleared up for you.

WD40

Smash Apprentice
NNID
adamwd
Ok, I'm really not sure where this misinformation has come from but it is completely wrong. All of Ryu's special moves, whether they have been used with the true input or not, stale exactly the same. Inputting Up + B DOES stale TSRK as does inputting Left / Right + B stales True Tatsumaki.

Just stay away from using TSRK or Up + B in any combos to keep it fresh for when you ACTUALLY need it. Getting an extra 7-8% after a H. U-Tilt is not worth it at all when the move then kills later. Hitting the opponent with Up + B when recovering will still stale the move but there isn't much you can do about that. SRK sharks through the stage and some people might be unaware of this.

His light and hard tilts stale separately because they are completely different moves. L. F-Tilt is a simple, frame 6-11 invincible poke where H. F-Tilt is Ryu's Collarbone Breaker, a move that does 9% and massive shield damage. Hopefully this was cleared up for you.

Hmm, well I've just seen it repeated on here by various posters who have had solid Ryu information. I guess that's partially my fault for not testing in the lab, but there's a lot of things I want to lab more....

Does the fact that true input moves have higher knockback make them less susceptible to the effects of staleing?

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
Hmm, well I've just seen it repeated on here by various posters who have had solid Ryu information. I guess that's partially my fault for not testing in the lab, but there's a lot of things I want to lab more....

Does the fact that true input moves have higher knockback make them less susceptible to the effects of staleing?
Sadly, it has been a bit of misinformation that has been spread around like wildfire. Oh well, as long as people EVENTUALLY find out, I'm happy with it.

The amount of base knockback and knockback growth a move has is completely irrelevant to how much it 'stales' over the course of a game. The Beefy Smash Doods released an absolutely fantastic video on staling and it can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wis_25jQeew

Quick overview: Staling occurs as soon as a move is used and it reduces the overall knockback and damage of the move. So, if you use TSRK during combo strings, it will have less knockback when you actually need it to kill which is never a good thing. I highly suggest you watch the video, though.

EDIT: I also suggest that you join the Ryu Discord. Hooded, EmblemLord, Renegade and other good players are in there and you'll get lots of good information. You'll find the link on the Ryu page, just scroll down.

Last edited:

SameOldG

Smash Rookie

On "pointy" stages I have gotten the FA2 to work pretty consistently (not dash cancelled) but the key seems to be that you release the attack when Ryu's front foot is over the edge..... then he (should) move forward with the attack and land safely on stage. I think its a cool mixup to a mixup, instead of cancelling it all the time to be able to throw one out and still land on the stage. Anyone found use for haduken/shaku in a similar fashion to FADC ledge get ups?

Mili

World Warrior
NNID
shoryuquen
On "pointy" stages I have gotten the FA2 to work pretty consistently (not dash cancelled) but the key seems to be that you release the attack when Ryu's front foot is over the edge..... then he (should) move forward with the attack and land safely on stage. I think its a cool mixup to a mixup, instead of cancelling it all the time to be able to throw one out and still land on the stage. Anyone found use for haduken/shaku in a similar fashion to FADC ledge get ups?
Using Shakunetsu or Hadoken off of the ledge is legitimately something you should do a maximum of once or twice within a whole match. It is a slow and laggy option that is EASILY punished. Any good player will certainly punish you for it, sometimes even just on reaction. I like it but I barely ever use it because it is really unsafe and the reward really isn't worth it.

It is a bit of a high-risk / low-reward move. The key on the ledge, rather than fancy get-ups, is really mixing up your options. Good players who play characters such as :4fox: (or other characters that don't do well off-stage), will have worked on reading you at the ledge and will often punish you for things you haven't done yet. Mixing-up is key. Getting fancy? Not so much.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Honestly, I think his biggest weakness is the increased potential for misinput. If you aren't always cognizant of which direction Ryu is facing, it is very easy to input a true tatsu instead of a shaku hadouken. That's just one misinput scenario of many. An accidental tatsu input can kill all the momentum you had and can afford the opponent an easy punish combo that may result in a loss of stock. These mistakes definitely go down the more time you put into Ryu, but the potential is always there.
That's not exactly a weakness of the character.

Hoenn

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hoenn101
Does anyone know the exact areas of the control stick that need to be hit in order to due the true inputs?
I feel like I drop the inputs a lot even when I feel like I am doing them perfectly
I am trying to find the most consistent ways to execute, true shoryu especially

Maybe some tips for hitting true shoryu more consistently? I hadoken and ftilt too much and I want to get better muscle memory for it by practicing, but I am afraid of giving my fingers bad habits
Any help is appreciated

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
They're SDI-ing out of the utilt. Its the best way to get out of a lot of Ryu's tilt combos.
While it does seem like he uses SDI to escape the D-Tilts, what he does most on the video while escaping the U-Tilts doesn't seem like SDI.

He is able to consistently escape Ryu's U-Tilt in only 1 hit. Not only that but at 20% he is knocked back more than a Full Jump upwards by Ryu's U-Tilt. It even seems like some sort of glitch.

Is there an specific input I could try maybe? I've been trying SDI with a friend and that doesn't seem to be working to reproduce what that Ike can do.

Top Bottom