• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Who Is Diego Umejuarez? - Ryu Q&A Thread

Kulty

Smash Ace
This information is in the OP.

Forward, Down, Down Forward + A
:GCR:, :GCD:, :GCDR: + :GCA:

It's Dair, there is no "Strong Dair"

Ryu, being the most balanced character in most of his Street Fighter iterations, has the option to be played offensively, defensively, or balanced. Play him like you'd play Mario, I'd say. Switch it up depending on the matchup.
Oh okay! Thank you so much for the advice. So basically like Mario, cool! What are :4ryu: weaknesses? I think it's the same as :4mario: (poor range = vulnerable against characters with disjointed hitboxes), maybe campers and probably predictable recovery. That's all I can think about for Ryu. Is there others?

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
This information is in the OP.

Forward, Down, Down Forward + A
:GCR:, :GCD:, :GCDR: + :GCA:

It's Dair, there is no "Strong Dair"

Ryu, being the most balanced character in most of his Street Fighter iterations, has the option to be played offensively, defensively, or balanced. Play him like you'd play Mario, I'd say. Switch it up depending on the matchup.
:GCDR:,:GCDR:+:GCA: or :GCDR:,:GCD:,:GCDR:+:GCA: work too.

Minwu

Smash Journeyman
I do believe I've been able to execute both the regular and hard versions of Ryu's specials using both the regular SSB and SF input methods by tapping or holding the attack button. The only difference I've found the SF inputs make are the voice lines. And Shakunetsu Hadoken seems to 1) require a half-circle and 2) be really difficult on 3DS

Last edited:

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
I do believe I've been able to execute both the regular and hard versions of Ryu's specials using both the regular SSB and SF input methods by tapping or holding the attack button. The only difference I've found the SF inputs make are the voice lines. And Shakunetsu Hadoken seems to 1) require a half-circle and 2) be really difficult on 3DS
I thought so in the beginning, but it is basically like this (Example : Shoryuken) :
:GCU:+tap:GCB: : Short Shoryuken ->lower damage
:GCU:+hold:GCB:: High Shoryuken -> lower damage
:GCR::GCD::GCDR::GCA: OR :GCDR::GCDR::GCA: OR :GCDR::GCD::GCDR::GCA: : Dragon Punch -> 2% more damage, KILLS 20% EARLIER. (Also i think the invincible start-up is only on this one, too)

Same goes for Hurricane Kick, more damage and a little more KB on the input version.

So yeah, doing the original inputs is still worth it, except if you just want to recover and do not want to risk failing the input.

Last edited:

Minwu

Smash Journeyman
I thought so in the beginning, but it is basically like this (Example : Shoryuken) :
:GCU:+tap:GCB: : Short Shoryuken ->lower damage
:GCU:+hold:GCB:: High Shoryuken -> lower damage
:GCR::GCD::GCDR::GCA: OR :GCDR::GCDR::GCA: OR :GCDR::GCD::GCDR::GCA: : Dragon Punch -> 2% more damage, KILLS 20% EARLIER. (Also i think the invincible start-up is only on this one, too)

Same goes for Hurricane Kick, more damage and a little more KB on the input version.

So yeah, doing the original inputs is still worth it, except if you just want to recover and do not want to risk failing the input.
It's odd, I just checked in training and SF shoryuken can definitely go the short distance, but still gets a damage boost. I think there are four different versions of shoryuken:

low SSB - 13%
high SSB - 15%
low SF - 15%
high SF - 18%

I can't test the other property differences between all versions as easily, but this should be readily confirmable. I'm still only getting two different versions of blue hadoken though...

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
It's odd, I just checked in training and SF shoryuken can definitely go the short distance, but still gets a damage boost. I think there are four different versions of shoryuken:

low SSB - 13%
high SSB - 15%
low SF - 15%
high SF - 18%

I can't test the other property differences between all versions as easily, but this should be readily confirmable. I'm still only getting two different versions of blue hadoken though...
That is possible. I can get at least 3 versions of the blue Hadouken though. Fast, long traveling Hadouken, short, slow traveling Hadouken and SF Hadouken which das a few % extra.

Name Cannot be changed

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4768-7691-2214
I haven't heard anyone mention this, but Ryu's SF-input DP can't be done instantly out of shield while his SSB-input DP can be done out of shield.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Does have any tips on preforming the shakunetsu haduken(the fire one if that is not what it's callled)? I end up kicking or doing someother move. I can do the haduken that requires quarter of a circle but I cant seem to get this one.

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
How does one deal with matchups where your fireballs are worthless along with your approach options? Like take Villager for example, he uses Lloid and his slingshot to keep you at bay, which make using FADC as an approach worthless since you can only block one hit. Both projectiles eat your fireballs of all types, and he can also pocket it.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
I haven't heard anyone mention this, but Ryu's SF-input DP can't be done instantly out of shield while his SSB-input DP can be done out of shield.
Have you tried jump-cancelling it? I'm fairly certain you'd be able to do the EX Shoryuken OOS if you jump cancelled.

Does have any tips on preforming the shakunetsu haduken(the fire one if that is not what it's callled)? I end up kicking or doing someother move. I can do the haduken that requires quarter of a circle but I cant seem to get this one.
You can roll your stick either :GCL::GCDL::GCD::GCDR::GCR: which is the proper input, or use the simplified :GCDL::GCD::GCDR::GCR:

How does one deal with matchups where your fireballs are worthless along with your approach options? Like take Villager for example, he uses Lloid and his slingshot to keep you at bay, which make using FADC as an approach worthless since you can only block one hit. Both projectiles eat your fireballs of all types, and he can also pocket it.
the key to approaching Villager is to run and shield. Up close, Villager isn't too stellar. Their Neutral Air is a great move and comes out fast, but Ryu has an easier time KOing. Villager can gimp the hell out of Ryu though. You generally have slightly better range with Ryu and your moves are faster (Villager's Dair, Nair, and Uair are all tricky though). It's not an easy match but don't be reckless. The main thing to know is that projectiles won't KO you unless you're at like 200+%. Fair and Bair are just nuisances unless Villager sweetspots them. Lloid is extremely easy to avoid or stuff completely with a Hadouken.

Last edited:

Minwu

Smash Journeyman
That is possible. I can get at least 3 versions of the blue Hadouken though. Fast, long traveling Hadouken, short, slow traveling Hadouken and SF Hadouken which das a few % extra.
Actually, SF hadoken seems to have fast and slow variants as well. It looks like the SF versions of specials have heightened damage and knockback across the board. Hopefully someone can test the more intricate details such as invincibility frames along the way. One important consideration is whether Ryu's attack variations share places in the stale move queue.

That's actually because you have to start a jump before you perform an OoS up special or smash attack. Turn off tap jump and up+b does nothing when shielding unless you jump first.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Have you tried jump-cancelling it? I'm fairly certain you'd be able to do the EX Shoryuken OOS if you jump cancelled.

You can roll your stick either :GCL::GCDL::GCD::GCDR::GCR: which is the proper input, or use the simplified :GCDL::GCD::GCDR::GCR:

the key to approaching Villager is to run and shield. Up close, Villager isn't too stellar. Their Neutral Air is a great move and comes out fast, but Ryu has an easier time KOing. Villager can gimp the hell out of Ryu though. You generally have slightly better range with Ryu and your moves are faster (Villager's Dair, Nair, and Uair are all tricky though). It's not an easy match but don't be reckless. The main thing to know is that projectiles won't KO you unless you're at lik.

Thanks! I was able to consistently shoot shakunetsu hadukens for a while, but then for some reason I started doing that move where he shouts "tatsumaki senpukyaku!" or something like that. Whare the inputs for that move so I know what I'm doing wrong?

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
Thanks! I was able to consistently shoot shakunetsu hadukens for a while, but then for some reason I started doing that move where he shouts "tatsumaki senpukyaku!" or something like that. Whare the inputs for that move so I know what I'm doing wrong?
The input for Tatsu is :GCD::GCDL::GCL: + :GCA:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Ryu actually seems to have 5 variants of his hadouken.

If you tap B you get the weak slow one.
Hold B, SF hadouken + tapping B/A/Z you get the mid one.
SF hadouken + Hold B/A you get the fast long travelling one.
QC + tap A/B/Z you get the slow short fire hadouken.
QC + Hold A/B you get the fast long travelling fire hadouken.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
Ryu actually seems to have 5 variants of his hadouken.

If you tap B you get the weak slow one.
Hold B, SF hadouken + tapping B/A/Z you get the mid one.
SF hadouken + Hold B/A you get the fast long travelling one.
QC + tap A/B/Z you get the slow short fire hadouken.
QC + Hold A/B you get the fast long travelling fire hadouken.
This is cool. Is there a way you could provide a video example of this?

Ponytail

Smash Rookie
Alright, here's a question that's a bit of a doozy.
So in USF4 OE, Focus Attacks had three stages. Stage one was the tap, where it would crumple an opponent only on a counter hit. Stage two is when the ink effect first appears, as long as the opponent doesn't block, it crumples. Stage three was the fully charged unblockable crumpling monstrosity.
So, has anyone tested to see if that's the case in Smash? I don't exactly have my fingers on him to test it out.

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
Alright, here's a question that's a bit of a doozy.
So in USF4 OE, Focus Attacks had three stages. Stage one was the tap, where it would crumple an opponent only on a counter hit. Stage two is when the ink effect first appears, as long as the opponent doesn't block, it crumples. Stage three was the fully charged unblockable crumpling monstrosity.
So, has anyone tested to see if that's the case in Smash? I don't exactly have my fingers on him to test it out.
Ryu does have different levels to his Focus Attack just like in SF4 and you can tell by how he flashes whitish, just like in SF4.

Though, only a Level 3 Focus Attack (fully charged) will cause a crumple.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
So, I'm looking to pick up Ryu and have never played SF. When inputting the special commands to make a give special stronger, do you have to return the stick to neutral after every input, or simply roll the stick? Thanks!

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
So, I'm looking to pick up Ryu and have never played SF. When inputting the special commands to make a give special stronger, do you have to return the stick to neutral after every input, or simply roll the stick? Thanks!
You don't have to return the stick to neutral. Just roll the stick and press the button at the end of the roll.

Last edited:

Shikenshu

Smash Cadet
Is it possible to cancel specials with focus attack? In SF4, I can do it w/o any problem (on arcade stick tho), but I can't do it in smash.

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
Ryu does have different levels to his Focus Attack just like in SF4 and you can tell by how he flashes whitish, just like in SF4.

Though, only a Level 3 Focus Attack (fully charged) will cause a crumple.
His level 2 FA crumples as well, albeit not for as long.

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
With so much misinformation going around about Ryu, I hope to stay at the forefront of his meta and help out here as much as possible. I'll be hitting the lab tomorrow to comeback with a comprehensive list of Ryu's damage amounts and kill percentages. Is anyone interested in this?

PokemonyeWest

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4770-2872
With so much misinformation going around about Ryu, I hope to stay at the forefront of his meta and help out here as much as possible. I'll be hitting the lab tomorrow to comeback with a comprehensive list of Ryu's damage amounts and kill percentages. Is anyone interested in this?
Um yes, absolutely! I don't have my 3DS currently, sadly, otherwise I'd already have tables done up and a guide written. We definitely need DEFINITIVE information about Ryu. I'm trying as well to stay at the forefront of Ryu and this subforum.

When I get my 3DS back, I'm writing a beginner's guide on Ryu that will be just as detailed as the Greninja one in my signature.

Last edited:

PowerHungryFool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Power-HF
3DS FC
1504-6251-0700
Switch FC
SW-7375-5375-8309
Um yes, absolutely! I don't have my 3DS currently, sadly, otherwise I'd already have tables done up and a guide written. We definitely need DEFINITIVE information about Ryu. I'm trying as well to stay at the forefront of Ryu and this subforum.

When I get my 3DS back, I'm writing a beginner's guide on Ryu that will be just as detailed as the Greninja one in my signature.
Good to hear, I look forward to your guide. I stayed ahead of the ROB meta when the game was released, and did my fair share of work in both the boards and tournaments. Now that Im switching mains and am a much more experienced player in smash 4 and PM, I think I'll have a lot to bring to the table with Ryu. Let's push the wandering warrior to his limits in smash, because I think he's going to be capable of amazing things!

SixSaw

Smash Journeyman
How does the game decide whether a QCB does a tatsu in the direction you intended or a backward fireball?
The game seems to remember the direction you were facing before you started the motion. If you're facing left, to do a fireball to the right you need to input :GCR: followed by :GCD::GCDR::GCR:. Even though you can see Ryu turn around while inputting a backwards QC you will never get a reverse fireball this way because of how the memory works.

Also can anyone confirm that all versions of fireball (including red) have the same frame data?

Last edited:

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
Inputing the commands with A or B changes something? I can't test it right now, would be grateful if someone helped in this matter.

D

Deleted member

Inputing the commands with A or B changes something? I can't test it right now, would be grateful if someone helped in this matter.
There isn't a difference between inputting with A or B as far as I know.

But as @ Elessar Elessar pointed out doing the inputs and then executing the attacks with the grab button will always perform the variant of the moves as if you had simply tapped the button, regardless of how long you hold the grab button down.

For example, QCF (or the input for Shakunetsu Hadouken) Hadouken using the grab button will always be the slowest version of Hadouken, QCB Tatsumaki with the grab button will always travel the short distance for Tatsumaki (once again, as if you had simply tapped the button when executing these move).

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Doing the input with A + Block, or Just Block?
(Assuming we're still talking about grab button for inputs, otherwise ignore this)

A + Block (if a shield grab input will even register properly, I haven't tested that yet) (assuming you're talking about Shield Grab input)

You should be able to bind grab as its own independent command to a button so you don't have to worry about shield grabbing in order to attempt the input.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
This is cool. Is there a way you could provide a video example of this?
I can, but it's not that necessary. Check the Nintendo direct video, there's a moment where they show and compare three speeds of hadouken. Then you have shakunetsu, which is a fourth variation, and shakunetsu itself has a fast and slow version, making it five. I'll try to provide a video, but I make no promises.

I am really excited about Ryu and he will definitively become my main alt. I tend to be very active with a competitive mindset and lab quite a bit. I was labbing kill percentages and combos yesterday and found some very interesting things. I am willing to share, but so far the forums is such a chaos that it's hard to know which the best thread to do so will be. I'll be contributing as much as I can.

Finally. We need a mod who will put this board in shape.

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
(Assuming we're still talking about grab button for inputs, otherwise ignore this)

A + Block (if a shield grab input will even register properly, I haven't tested that yet) (assuming you're talking about Shield Grab input)

You should be able to bind grab as its own independent command to a buttons so you don't have to worry about shield grabbing in order to attempt the input.
Yes! Grab, dunno where my head was when I typed Block. So sorry.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Sorry if this has been posted, but how do you actually perform a FADC?

I've seen Ryu doing it in the air: how does that work?

D

Deleted member

Sorry if this has been posted, but how do you actually perform a FADC?

I've seen Ryu doing it in the air: how does that work?
The key to doing this properly is to make sure that you are holding down the Special Button the entire time.

Then, just dash in either direction and you'll cancel it.

You can do it even before his Stage 1 strike.

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
How can one do special inputs without negative edge? I can't dragon punch, dash always comes out instead.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Does his aerials have landing lag?
Nair autocancels, fair and bair don't necessarily autocancel but they have very little landing lag. dair has the most lag if i'm not mistaken.

Can you do the "buffer" option select in Smash 4?
Yes. smash has a much larger buffer window than SF though, so if you're not very quick with the option select, the special still might come out even if it doesn't combo.

The SF input version of Shoryuken does more damage and -way- more knockback than the Up-B version. (even the 'hard' up B version)

onehundredhitz

Smash Apprentice
Yes. smash has a much larger buffer window than SF though, so if you're not very quick with the option select, the special still might come out even if it doesn't combo.
We can buffer option selects?? WE HAVE OPTION SELECTS??? I never knew. What are our good OSes?

Also, what are some good moves for OoS?

Top Bottom