• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who is a good secondary for Ness?

LilPoncle115

Smash Apprentice
Being a Ness main, there's obviously 2 MUs that can be an absolute nightmare for us.
RosaLuma and Villager. You could aregue Sheik tho.

That being said, Cloud is my preferred pocket for these MUs just because of his range and power.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
A really good swordsman is always good because that is usually who he struggles against. When picking a secondary character its usually a good choice to make sure they can give your main some trouble and can cover MUs your main struggles in.

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
Being a Ness main, there's obviously 2 MUs that can be an absolute nightmare for us.

That being said, Cloud is my preferred pocket for these MUs just because of his range and power.
Corrin is pretty troublesome as well.

SyMag

Smash Cadet
NNID
PKThunda
3DS FC
1805-2965-9302
From my experience, Ness is better if played with a more defensively-oriented playstyle. So I think someone with an offensive playstyle would complement him well. Perhaps somebody like Fox or Ryu would be worth a try?

Moet

Smash Rookie

^this. I also like Meta Knight in this case. I prefer it over other characters, because Meta Knight has a similar playstyle/a similar way to approach. Thus, you don't leave your Comfort Zone too hard.

Last edited:

LilPoncle115

Smash Apprentice
^this. I also like Meta Knight in this case. I prefer it over other characters, because Meta Knight has a similar playstyle/a similar way to approach. Thus, you don't leave your Comfort Zone too hard.
I have to agree this. I would probably still prefer Cloud since he is lot harder to counterpick than Meta Knight.

Envoy of Chaos

Smash Ace
The important MUs to cover are Shiek, Cloud, Corrin and Rosaluma as those are the four bad ones. Ive been thinking of Marth lately he only loses to Shiek outta those three. Lucas is also pretty good secondary for Ness as they both employ defensive play styles.

Fox and Mewtwo are pretty solid secondary characters as well imo

McDeathstrider

Smash Cadet
NNID
McDeathstrider
3DS FC
4700-0028-0617
if you're only looking to cover bad matchups, cloud would be pretty good for that. if you don't want to play cloud, sheik, fox, or mewtwo would work well

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
While I am training a Cloud, Lucina has served me well. Aside from trivializing MUs I am personally too lazy to play as Ness like Captain Falcon, she has a much better time against Corrin, Sonic and Sheik than Ness does. I personally play Ness against Rosa and Villager since their players are hard to come by so I end up using Ness anyways, and from practice I don't think those MUs are as bleach drink inducing as Corrin or Sheik. And aside from being a contrarian, Lucina come in handy because from playing Ness you likely have the mentality of throwing out spaced aerials and hope they do something cool and consistently, and no tipper does just that. From playing Ness you also favor mixups out of simple things, and Lucina does that too. And if you like rage jank, Lucina has F-smash 2 frames and rage Up Throw.

Last edited:
Top Bottom