• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who has the worst grab game?

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
I remember a topic a while ago that asked who had the best grab game, and basically everyone said either King Dedede or the Ice Climbers. However, which character has the worst grab game, factoring in not just the throws themselves, but things like grab range and pummeling too?

BTW, sorry if this topic has been done before. I searched for it and didn't find anything.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
it's samus by a landslide. her actual grab is bad (either the worst or second worst frame-wise), her pummel is bad (it doesn't even hit bowser sometimes wtf???) and the throws are bad.

ike at least is a **** when he's got a wall near him

marth sets up for aerials well and gets fsmashes at 0%

zss has fthrow chaingrabs and air release crap (albeit not that good)

it's samus

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Ganondorf can grab release Lucas, Ness, Squirtle, Meta Knight and Wario. His forward throw does 13%. It has terrible standing grab range but his pivot and dash grab have good range, especially pivot grab. His pummel is slow, though.

Stafy

Smash Journeyman
As a Samus secondary player, it's definitely Samus. There isn't really a safe way to grab someone except for if they just run into you while you're charging or you press R + A. Her grabs are lackluster meaning they aren't gonna do **** except for probably the back throw, which I usually lead up to with a charge shot or a bair.

Sukai

Smash Champion
Zelda.
Samus has setups into grabs, and spites reckless spotdodges. Zelda's is slow, short ranged and takes 3 hours to cool down, her grab game is a joke and practically nonexistent.
Zelda.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Have you guys seen Toon Link's grab? >_>

justaway12

Smash Master
@Knuxrouge: Zelda's grab is actually quite long, the 3rd largest non-tethered grab to be exact.

13. DDD 6
14.Charzard 5.5
15. Zelda 5.3
16. Donkey Kong 5.1
17. Squirtle 5
18. Marth 4.75
Diddy 4.75
Snake 4.75
21. Kirby 4.5
ROB 4.5
23. Peach 4.25
Fox 4.25
Falco 4.25
Ness 4.25
27. Wario 4.1
28.Bowser 4
Pit 4
MK 4
Jigglypuff 4
Ike 4
Sonic 4
34. Pika 3.9
Sheik 3.9
36. Lucario 3.75
37.Wolf 3.5
ICs 3.5
Mario 3.5
Luigi 3.5
G&W 3.5
42. Captain Falcon 3.25
43. Ganon 2.75
that being said it's still awful, infact all of the girls (except Peach and Sheik) have have awful grabs.

jpl315

Smash Apprentice
i think toon link's is the worst....no1 ever uses a grab with him...at least samus players use the grab sometimes like after the opponent shields a homing missile.....guess also link then too

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Zelda. Samus and Zelda grab their opponents just as often... and then Samus has better throws anyway, making them worthwhile. It doesn't matter if Zelda's grab has less lag than Samus's or someone random like TL - she's still lagging long enough to be punished on reaction, and she grabs so slowly that you can evade it on reaction. She has a tether grab's lagtime without the actual tether, she has the WORST possible power on her throws (too strong for follow-ups, too weak to be relied on for KOs), her pummel is really slow, etc.

I realize that this thread just asked for the grab, but either way it's still Zelda. Adding in anything else only solidifies that.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
You'd think it would be Jigglypuff, with those tiny arms, but no, her grab range is abnormally huge, ESPECIALLY her pivot grab. Its actually her safest ground move.

Plus, her dthrow is so cute :3

SwastikaPyle

Smash Ace
Tossup between Zelda and Zamus.

I would rather just get rid of their grabs and make it a permanent shield button if I could, sometimes.

Tien2500

Smash Lord
really chairzard has 2 on the list i didnt think he would be that high i knew that ddd is cause he has like 4x the grab as ics
Charizard's grabrange is very large. He actually grabs with his mouth and extends his neck quite a bit on it.

Shadia

Smash Cadet
I'd have to say Samus, but don't really like grabbing with zss either. I'm so paranoid I'll miss, her lag time for a failed grab is just awful.
I never really thought zelda's grab game was that bad, but now that I think about it yeah it kinda is lol. I've always loved her down throw, looks really cool. :p

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
I kinda agree with the toon Link comments, I rarely use his grab as even for a tether its quite slow and often I mess up and get punished for it.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Toon Link's best throw kills at ~250 fresh.
And none of this throw set up for anything.
And its a tether.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Samus' grab is leagues worse than TL's. At least TL's come out fast enough to shield grab laggy attacks. Samus's is sooo slow it's ridiculous. And TL's dthrow is a good setup, as is uthrow. And Fthrow is a good gtfo move.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Samus has a running grab which has more range and is faster.

Toon Link's throws set up for nothing.
Dthrow might get you a follow up, but its in no way guaranteed. Just mind games.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Ganondorf can grab release Lucas, Ness, Squirtle, Meta Knight and Wario. His forward throw does 13%. It has terrible standing grab range but his pivot and dash grab have good range, especially pivot grab. His pummel is slow, though.
Grab release them to what? He has a grab release > jab on Lucas and Ness, big deal, fthrow is always a better option. A Wizkick on Meta knight, once again, fthrow is a better option. His dash grab and pivot grab have more range than his normal standing grab, they don't have "suprising" range though. His pummel is very slow, do around 1-2% each.

Not bieng able to grab the opponent, or at least having the hardest time at it, is a major factor in grab games. Ganon has one of the worst, if not the worst, grab games.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Hey guys, I just want to clear something up. By grab game, I don't mean just their grab, but also all their throws, their pummel and all that stuff. Some people already knew that, but I just wanted to make sure everyone knew.

TP

Smash Master
Grab release them to what? He has a grab release > jab on Lucas and Ness, big deal, fthrow is always a better option. A Wizkick on Meta knight, once again, fthrow is a better option. His dash grab and pivot grab have more range than his normal standing grab, they don't have "suprising" range though. His pummel is very slow, do around 1-2% each.

Not bieng able to grab the opponent, or at least having the hardest time at it, is a major factor in grab games. Ganon has one of the worst, if not the worst, grab games.
Pivot grab has awesome range, what are you saying. His pummel is not super slow at all. Probably below average, but only that. His grab is also one of the tallest in the game, which helps against aerial approaches.

Ganon's grab game is bad, but with the most damaging Fthrow and various other redeeming qualities, it can't be the worst, especially after reading this stuff about Samus and Toon Link.

Kalm, you're gonna have to get used to me following you around again. ;)

:034:

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Pivot grab has awesome range, what are you saying. His pummel is not super slow at all. Probably below average, but only that. His grab is also one of the tallest in the game, which helps against aerial approaches.

Ganon's grab game is bad, but with the most damaging Fthrow and various other redeeming qualities, it can't be the worst, especially after reading this stuff about Samus and Toon Link.

Kalm, you're gonna have to get used to me following you around again. ;)

:034:
If Ganon's pivot grab had "awesome range", it would be past at least Ness on the standing grab range list.

Yeah, I already adjusted myself to that, after seeing your post in the General Discussion topic.

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
Seriously if IC's couldn't CG theirs would be one of the worst with their god awe full grab range, and throws that don't do anything and can't be followed up on much except d-throw at low %'s.

But otherwise, Zelda and ZSS have terrible grabs, but ZSS's throws are actually quite good and Zelda's b-throw at least has some power, and d-throw can set up. Samus just has a bad grab game overall, and TL does too.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Seriously if IC's couldn't CG theirs would be one of the worst with their god awe full grab range, and throws that don't do anything and can't be followed up on much except d-throw at low %'s.
That's if they couldn't. Apparently, they could.

Top Bottom