• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who guessed Isabelle was going to be an original fighter?

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
We all thought that Isabelle might be an echo, but Sakurai surprised us that she is a new fighter. Number 68.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Not me, glad she original, but something tells me that another Animal Crossing face may show up as an echo of either her or Villager.

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Honestly, I didn't think she would be in. Another Assist Trophy getting promoted to fighter?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I thought she could go either way. I am glad she's not an Echo. Although she seems to be a semi-clone of Villager. Same normal moves but different special moves like that fishing pole... at least I think that's a special move. She seems to have the same Neutral Special (pocket) and Up Special (balloons). Don't know about Down Special (tree) and Side Special (gyroid).

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I did, on August 14th. I'm so giddy right now, I love Isabelle.
King Sonn Dededoo said:
I have a somewhat ominous prediction about Isabelle.

I believe that Isabelle will get in as a unique newcomer. She will be unique not because she lacks the qualities to become an echo (close enough proportions, Villager move set could work with her), but because she is an extremely popular, promoted, and marketable character with enough moveset potential to warrant a unique move set.

What I find ominous about my prediction is that I feel that Isabelle will become the go to character to complain about. “Why did Isabelle have to take a unique move set slot, she could have been an echo and *insert popular character here* could have gotten in instead”

At the end of the day, I’d be ecstatic if Isabelle is unique or an echo, but I’m already prepping myself for potential backlash if she’s unique.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
I was still convinced she was an echo even during the gameplay footage. She's weird, has a lot of Villager's moves and even their Final Smash, and yet has enough different-looking stuff to be barely a semi-clone.
Gyroid replaces the tree for down special, looks like, and I can only assume the fishing pole is a side special since she's also got the bug net in her gameplay showcase. Neutral and up specials look functionally identical, Final Smash is the same. D-smash is similar but with horizontal knockback instead of burying, dash attack looks similar but a bit faster? N-air is the pom-poms and looks to behave just like Villager's too. Broom sweep u-tilt and party cracker f-smash are unique, and I think that's all we've seen.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Isabelle becoming original but still have a few moves in common with Villager is another thing to ask what an Echo is. After Dark Samus and Chrom I thought maybe everyone who copies moves that were introduced since Smash 4 are Echoes. But Isabelle has the Pocket move and trips with a vase, yet she's not an echo. Well, I still don't believe Chrom deserves to be called an Echo of Roy. At least Isabelle's fishing rod is new.

zferolie

Smash Hero
she looks to be the Luigi to villagers Mario. Some unique A and B moves, but also share some. its interesting

Poopyhead

Smash Cadet
Yesterday I predicted on reddit that she'd be revealed as a unique newcomer today. That's technically true... but I'm happy with the way they went about implementing her. Villager's moveset just didn't quite seem to fit her and I think they did a good job of reusing Villager's assets to work with her. That said even though she's similar in some ways I think she's going to play much differently. People are really overreacting calling her "basically an echo fighter" because that's very much untrue if you played Villager in Smash 4 and try to imagine playing her the same way.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I honestly had no idea nor cared how Isabelle would fight as an echo, semi or unique...I just wanted her in cause she’s adorable (and Animal Crossing needed that since :ultvillager: wasn’t cutting it)

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
This will be weird; quoting myself. Anyway, here is what I had to say when Isabelle was being voted on in the Rate Your Chances thread.

Isabelle (Animal Crossing series)
Chances: 95%
If Isabelle is not playable, I will be completely shocked. She has so much going for her; popularity, promotion, prominence, possibilities. Her series is a big one of Nintendo's and she's been pushed heaving as a sort of mascot for it.​
Her chances I'd put above anyone else's, because not only does have all these strong points in her favour, she also has Echo potential. I personally believe she'll get in as a character with a unique move-set, but the fact that she even has the alternative option of being an Echo is strong argument for her gaining a playable role, regardless of how that is.​

Want: 56%
I'd prefer Tom Nook, but Isabelle is a pretty deserving character for inclusion and Animal Crossing is a pretty deserving series for multiple reps. This Want will probably be a lot lower if she is an Echo; I feel people pass on her potential for a unique move-set too easily (though I feel that is my problem with the introduction with Echoes in general). Aside from that... I'm not a fan of Animal Crossing but she is a cute character and a Nintendo one at that who'd allow an under-represented Nintendo series to gain more representation.​
So yeah... called it!

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I called her using the Fishing Rod a year ago.
I am full on Cooler here.

Last edited:

Xigger

Smash Lord
I'm glad she's a brand new fighter just because we got a cute trailer for her!

That's the real difference between Newcomers and Echoes. Trailers.

Jampen Gage

Smash Rookie
NNID
GammageKids
Switch FC
SW-5640-9609-4988
Bruh I was like Etika up in my house when Isabelle was announced!

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
I called her using the Fishing Rod a year ago.
I am full on Cooler here.
Honestly I would perfer if the Fishing Pole would be Isabelle's grab. It could have a lot of ending lag, but it can work as a tether, have a lot of range, and possible draw in Items if you hit them.
I thought the Fishing Pole would be her grab but it looks like a side-b since she still uses the net for a grab.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Bruh I was like Etika up in my house when Isabelle was announced!
You looked for lotion like him aswell? Cause I don’t think anyone but him would do that
I'm glad she's a brand new fighter just because we got a cute trailer for her!

That's the real difference between Newcomers and Echoes. Trailers.
Echoes are newcomers though...just not special enough newcomers...and yes that trailer was so ****ing adorable

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord
I was bracing more and more for the echo outcome as time went by. My heart sank when I saw her do Villager's dash cause I feared she was an echo, but then it popped back up again seeing all but like 3 moves were completely new.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
Isabelle becoming original but still have a few moves in common with Villager is another thing to ask what an Echo is. After Dark Samus and Chrom I thought maybe everyone who copies moves that were introduced since Smash 4 are Echoes. But Isabelle has the Pocket move and trips with a vase, yet she's not an echo. Well, I still don't believe Chrom deserves to be called an Echo of Roy. At least Isabelle's fishing rod is new.
Chrom is an echo because he is still using other character's moves. He echoes other Fire Emblem characters and was able to be made by throwing their animations together. Isabelle has unique moves, so she is a semi clone.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
She literally shares three moves with Villager. All of her specials are different sans pocket, her smashes and tilts are different, even and her aerials from what little we've seen are completely different. She may not even be a semi-clone, but she's far from an echo.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think the line between Echo and Clone is insignificant enough to not really mean much.
I also think calling her an 'original fighter' is not exactly painting the full picture.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I've always felt a character her magnitude should be more unique. I'm satisfied with a mostly-unique Semi-Clone, much better than an Echo.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I said so many times that she and her series deserve better than an echo, and I never fully gave up hope, but I wouldn’t say I expected it. So many people said it was echo or nothing for her, which really brought me down.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I never though being an echo fits her. Congrats, she has a few new tricks up her sleeve.

Top Bottom