• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who got the most buffs since Melee/Brawl?

danzibr

Smash Cadet
I used to play Sheik a lot in Melee, then hated what they did to her in Brawl. Now she seems almost back to her glory days.

But the real reason I make this thread is because of... Zelda! When I played Sheik, if I was against a weak opponent I'd switch to Zelda for kicks (no pun intended). She was alright. But in Sm4sh it seems like she got some serious love.

I also like what they did to Ike. But man, dat Zelda.

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
mario
luigi
pika
link
ness
bowser

on the other hand these got *****
falco
marth

fox and falcon not sooo *****

Last edited:

RyeSSB

Smash Cadet
NNID
RyanTheDrummer
3DS FC
3652-0543-2675
For Brawl, probably Captain Falcon. He went from one of the worst characters in Brawl to being possibly top 10 in Smash 4.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Captain Falcon... seemed to me and those I played with a complete joke.

Now he is one of my top characters.

But I am not a comparative player so my opinion shouldn't mean much.

_gold_

Smash Master
ZSS, Bowser, Yoshi, Mario, Kirby, and definitely Diddy

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
:4link:

+ Faster ground and aerial movement
+ Dash Attack has KO potential
+ D-air meteor smashes
+ Longer Z-air
+ Jab cancel shenanigans (Just kidding. This probably shouldn't count.)

:4myfriends:

+ Faster ground and aerial movement
+ Quick Draw and Aether can be used together to recover
+ F-air has faster start-up, and can auto-cancel
+ D-tilt has combo potential

:4bowser:

+ Better mobility
+ B-air is stronger, and can auto-cancel
+ Whirling Fortress covers more vertical distance

^-^

Last edited:

visvim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
visvim-1893
3DS FC
1736-0405-5625
I've seen some solid Zelda's, but I still don't feel like she's an impressive character overall.

So many characters had a come up since Brawl though - most notably Falcon and Sheik, in my opinion. Shout outs to Ness for being very viable now too.

Last edited:

Veigar

Smash Rookie
Yoshi definitely, and I've been playing a lot of Ganon lately, he is sooo much better in sm4sh it's not even funny. Hitting someone with his Dair and meteoroing them is an unrivaled feeling.

Ryoku

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ryoku926
Was Captain Falcon's D-air always so easy to land in Brawl as it is in Sm4sh?

I wanna say Captain Falcon, Mario, Yoshi, Bowser. Quite a few, actually.

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
From melee,Ness and Bowser

From brawl,Yoshi,Link,Mario,Falcon,Ike.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I would say Falcon, but Brawl was more of a dud for him. He has always been top tier in every Smash game except Brawl. 64, melee, 4, always great. His moveset is extremely good. Brawl's physics were just nonsense that defied logic, which is why he was awful.

Kirby probably has gotten the most since Melee. Though he was supreme in 64 too.

And for most nerfs I'd say it's gotta be Marth. All of his speed is pretty much gone. He's almost a different character. Definitely quite a lot worse than he ever was.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
:4yoshi::4luigi::4bowser::4ness:....

These characters had a horrible track record Moving from Melee to Brawl. They're finally getting some sunshine in Smash 4.

Now, based on the tier list from Brawl moving into Smash 4: :4link::4falcon::4mario::4sonic::4samus::4jigglypuff::4sheik:

These guys sat between low-mid tier all the way to bottom tier in Brawl. Now they are all viable for the most part. Purposely leaving Diddy out because he was never bad in the first place.

Lemon Girl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maguitus
3DS FC
0147-0570-9943
:4bowser: easily

then
:4jigglypuff: :4falcon: :4sheik: :4yoshi: :4zelda:

Zelda is still bad, not horrible but nothing impressive, Jiggly is also bad, not because the character is horrible but because shields are too strong and she can do nothing against them.

TheFlyingCule

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlyingCule
3DS FC
3668-8782-5131
:4yoshi::4zelda::4luigi::4ness: :4bowser:are big step ups from Melee and Brawl
:4kirby: At least compared to melee Kirby, Brawl Kirby was alright
:4jigglypuff::4dk::4fox::4ganondorf::4link::4sheik: all feel massively upgraded from brawl

ansossy

Smash Apprentice
Very sad to what they did with Marth and Falco. I loved these guys and I played Falco a lot in Melee and Brawl, but now it's just so ridiculous that I switched to my old main captain falcon. If anything Captain Falcon got a buff now with the hitsun being changed.

Last edited:

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Considering how bad Bowser is in Melee, I think he got the most buffs. Not only is he still really strong, but his speed was heavily buffed. Not to mention his recovery being useful now and actually helping you to recover instead of just crushing your dreams like every other game.

Saviorr

Smash Cadet
Pikachu got amazing buffs to quick attack and thunder. Like most other characters Pikachu was given an over powered up air. The Smash 4 "environment", compared to Brawl, gives Pikachu just enough hitstun to be able to actually combo.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Pikachu got amazing buffs to quick attack and thunder. Like most other characters Pikachu was given an over powered up air. The Smash 4 "environment", compared to Brawl, gives Pikachu just enough hitstun to be able to actually combo.
Pikachu has always been pretty good though. Definitely has been downgraded from Smash 64, but Pikachu has never really left the upper echelons of characters.

TheRealBlueBlur

Smash Apprentice
Fox is mostly considered nerfed from Brawl in every way other than recovery, but the physics indirectly buffed him, so he is still an effective fighter. Sheik is much faster and more powerful, along with a new projectile and Bouncing Fish. Bowser is much faster and more powerful. Captain Falcon has higher speed, power, and utility. Even characters like Mario were buffed. It's hard to say which one got buffed the most.

On the other side of things, it's not hard to see who was most nerfed. As a MK main, I have to say that he was easily the most nerfed.

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
He was very high tier in Brawl, but he got major buffs in SSB4 for some reason. He is pretty much the new Meta Knight.
No-one in this game comes close to being SS tier. Diddy is definitely not the "new Meta Knight" and he received some significant nerfs compared to how he was in Brawl. His neutral special, down special, and down smash were definitely better moves in Brawl. Plus his up special in this game takes way longer to fully charge and it's far easier for Diddy to crash when arriving onto stage with rocket barrel. But many of his offensive moves were noticeably buffed in strength and range, which helped him enormously in areas he was weak.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
In no particular order..

From Melee & Brawl:
:4kirby:: He's actually playable, albeit still with weak approach options
:4bowser:: After two straight games of hunchback Koopa, he got fit and is ready to wreck **** (rhyme intended)
:4dk:: ALL the shield break and spike options...
:4link:: He's not completely outclassed by the other Link now
:4mario:: Much more mobile and combo-oriented than before
:4ness:: Don't get me started.
:4yoshi:: Same case as Bowser, but he went through three games to do so and can finally jump out of shield again.

From Brawl:
:4luigi:: Dear lord...
:4falcon:: He returned
:4sonic:: Still retains his quick confusing character but can actually damage and kill now

ImReallyFeelingIt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sailings
:4link: I MEAN DUDE, i DON'T HAVE TO EXPLAIN. LINK IS OP. TOP 5.
:4mario: *kisses developers* thank you oh god that F-Smash is wonderful. bless. combos all over the stage.
:4pit: still pretty crappy but thank you for making him much better, brawl pit sucked.
:4zelda: she's much better, i agree.

Also, can someone explain how Marth is now bad? Falco was obviously killed but Marth doesn't look too bad.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Link is probably the most improved out of any other. He sucked in Melee, sucked harder in Brawl, and was made competitively great in Smash 4. Link's living the good life.

misterOWAIN33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MR_FA1L
3DS FC
2294-5361-2433
:charizard:- Not only does he gain Flare Blitz, but we are rid of :squirtle: (who I personally couldn't stand).
:zelda:- A few buffs overall, despite losing :sheik:.
:lucario: - Damage Up=Recovery Up
:jigglypuff: - Just freakin' terrible in Brawl.

16bit

Smash Apprentice
NNID
imsl1msh4dy
3DS FC
3136-7059-5966
To me, Captain Falcon and Luigi got the biggest buff as this game does support offensive play more than brawl.

D

Deleted member

:popo:- They were buffed so much that they had to be removed because they were too good.

:troll:

Ryoku

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ryoku926
Also, can someone explain how Marth is now bad? Falco was obviously killed but Marth doesn't look too bad.
Sakurai took away his sword and, instead, gave him a dagger. Sakurai took away his short-hop double F-air and gave him added landing lag. SAKURAAAIII!!!!

In all seriousness, though, I don't think Marth is bad. He's just not as good as he was in previous games.

3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
Link. It's funny because I would always be criticized for using him in Brawl. Now everyone uses him cause hes buffed like heck.

Top Bottom