• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who even uses counter?

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
People who can make good reads with it and don't spam it like newbs.

Also a great edge guard vs some recoveries/characters

Last edited:

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
It's mostly for edgeguards, but also sometimes you definitely know your opponent will swing.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Think (as Lucina) I KO'd a Falco off of his down air, so it certainly can be useful.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227

SWEET! Lucina has the Fire Emblem Critical Hit noise on her Counter (maybe only when it will kill). I hope Marth has this too. Great little detail. Critical Hits are not represented enough in Smash for being such a staple in the entire FE series (other than Marth tippers).

Video already starts at the correct moment (2:31).

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master

SWEET! Lucina has the Fire Emblem Critical Hit noise on her Counter (maybe only when it will kill). I hope Marth has this too. Great little detail. Critical Hits are not represented enough in Smash for being such a staple in the entire FE series (other than Marth tippers).
Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope not. Though, if it were Lucina exclusive, it likely would have been the Awakening sound.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope not. Though, if it were Lucina exclusive, it likely would have been the Awakening sound.
Right. So if it's the classic sound... either they're going for what Smash players recognize or Marth has it.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Right. So if it's the classic sound... either they're going for what Smash players recognize or Marth has it.
Granted, I can't really think of a distinct Awakening crit sound. I think it was just a more intense hit maybe, but by the end of the game I was usually getting some sort of skill or crit so I'm not even sure.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
Marth's counter also makes the critical hit sound.

Codebox

Smash Apprentice
Counters can be useful for heavy edgeguards and reads. Unless you mean those who do nothing but spam it because they think it'll garner them every KO? It can also be useful against spammers.

HopeOfBlossom

Smash Rookie
I use it. In a sneaky way. I tend to bait my oponent with it, like taking a Nair on purpose and then put a counter when I see my opponent going at it again. But it's like one time in a best of 3. Otherwise it's usefull against people recovering low and having a wide UpB hitbox. Other than that eh. Guard parry is more efficient I supose.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I try to limit it as a read once a match. When your opponent kind of forgets it's an option and you know they're coming in, it can get them off the stage and turn the tables. Possibly kill.

But yeah, as mentioned, it's basically for edgeguarding at higher level play. Though as the meta develops, I think parries will start to make counter moves more and more obsolete. We're already starting to see great punishes off of parries when opponents are getting back off the ledge.

ISolox

Smash Rookie
I use it. Sometimes even spam it if the character is easy to read.
It wins matches so idc.

whippletickle

Smash Rookie
I use it as a hard read once or twice a match, it helps to get into the opponent's head "they're going to counter if I do x"
It works well as an edgeguard against quite a few chars.
If you're good at baiting and conditioning you can really mess with people with counter, but parry is definitely going to make counters a bit obsolete in the meta

JWoods87

Smash Rookie
I also use it as an edgeguarding tool, against Ike or Chrom's up B the knockback will prevent them from recovering. It's also very powerful against the Link's if you counter offstage while they're recovering. There are more characters its good against but basically anyone who's up B has a hit box. Some better than others

Goddamn_Angela

Smash Cadet
Rarely but I do pull it out every so often when I play Lucina if I read an input or want to surprise my opponent. Also as edgeguard.

I have learned to use it less since I was guilty of overusing it and being punished.

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
I'm not a top level player and when you're doing online quickplay at 200K GSP or less, a lot of players make mistakes and counter becomes a fairly reliable tool for getting kills. I also use it in a high risk/high reward strategy against really obvious players. I'll intentionally do something compromising to bait them into an attack and try to counter it.

I also find it useful for breaking juggles or sometimes even dealing with projectiles.

Raiks

Smash Rookie
Very good edge guard against some characters like Ike, Chrom and Links.

Aside from that, it can be useful as a hard read or when opponents are predictable with their aerials.

Top Bottom