• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who enjoys collecting trophies?

TheFVguy

Smash Apprentice
Ever since Melee, I always enjoyed collecting trophies, it was just phone gathering so many trophies from many different series, I'm hoping we get a lot for Ultimate. Would love more trophies of Street Fighter and Final Fantasy.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I also enjoy collecting the trophies. I wonder what's going to be available this time around.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
I love the process of getting them all and going through challenges or conditions to get them. It adds a lot to the game in a simple way - a digit trophy of your accomplishment, incentive to play more and background on the franchise it belongs to.

What we don’t need back are the collectibles like stickers/custom moves/mii outfits - they made sense at the time (stickers as sub space power ups, custom moves and outfits for single player modes in 4) but tend to be more obnoxious to gather than anything else. I am relatively sure and glad these items are out of the picture this time.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I love the process of getting them all and going through challenges or conditions to get them. It adds a lot to the game in a simple way - a digit trophy of your accomplishment, incentive to play more and background on the franchise it belongs to.

What we don’t need back are the collectibles like stickers/custom moves/mii outfits - they made sense at the time (stickers as sub space power ups, custom moves and outfits for single player modes in 4) but tend to be more obnoxious to gather than anything else. I am relatively sure and glad these items are out of the picture this time.
I was with you until you said Mii costumes. I love me some Mii costumes. It's a great way to get characters that don't make it into the game in there somehow.

But yeah, I love trophies. It's a great way to be exposed to characters you don't know and a chance to see characters that have never had a #-D appearance done up in 3-d. I would honestly but DLC of just trophies... but only if you have to find/earn them. I don't want to buy them and just get them. Where's the fun there.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Reading trophy descriptions is what got me into EarthBound, which is now my favorite Nintendo franchise.

It's safe to say I adore collecting them and reading all the descriptions. Every single one of 'em.

notion_of_the_ocean

Smash Rookie
Trophies don't really do anything for me. I just don't get hours upon hours these days of video game time to collect them all and don't really ever find myself giving the ones I inadvertently collect a second thought. I may be in the minority here though.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I enjoy it as well. There is just something satisfying about building this massive collection and seeing how close you can get to completion.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I'm hoping they bring back all previous methods of getting trophies. The capsule toy machine from Melee, the coin launcher mini game from Brawl, and the Trophy shop from 4. Because I think that's a good balance of methods. The capsule toy machine gives you the most trophies per individual coin, but it's completely random. The brawl minigame is fun and gives you an amount of trophies dependent on skill. And the trophy shop is just when you're trying to get the last entries in your trophy collection and you're willing to pay full price with the coins you've saved up.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I like collecting them if they’re trophies of characters from games that I haven’t heard of, then I look up those games and eventually I become a fan of those games.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I enjoyed it in Melee and to a lesser extent Brawl, but I didn't get a lot of joy out of it in Smash Wii U. I think trophies have hit a point of diminishing returns for me.

Melee was great, because it was the first game to have trophies. The trophies you earned for clearing classic mode were classic versions fo the characters that resembled the source material more than their melee counterparts, and the selection of trophies in Melee were really diverse, having a lot of trophies from older games updated with ( at the time ) modern 3D models, as well as things from current games. I believe there were even a few trophies from unreleased games. And there were lots of Japan only trophies, which I loved learning about, even if I could never play some of them ( there's never gonna be a Shin Onigashima translation )

Then Brawl was more about current games, and all the trophies were basically models ripped from their source material. The Zelda trophies were just from Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. Earthbound only had trophies of things that appeared in Smash, and it didn't even have a trophy of the Ultimate Chimera. There were a few cool trophies of things I never heard of. I bought Magical Starsign because of the Mokka trophy ( that and I wanted to support Brownie Brown, as they were responsible for Mother 3. ) The most difficult trophies to collect were the Subspace Emmissary trophies, but they were pretty fun.

But then Smash Wii U came out and it was almost nothing but models ripped from their source material, and they were all characters I knew about... I guess you can't really blame the game for that so much as you can blame me for having seen all the trophies in the past Smash games.

I don't know, I just think Trophies have kind of run their course. I'd almost rather they be replaced with something new. Maybe something like a log book pages for "books" dedicated to various Nintendo series, and 3rd party series, that have data on characters, locations, and events from various games containing artwork, screenshots, and video clips.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I like unlocking things, as it gives me a sense of purpose. If there was an option to, I'd also like to unlock the stages in Ultimate. At least you still have to unlock characters. I don't really like the current trend in Nintendo's deluxe ports where everything is available from the start.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I like them but to say they are as cool to get and instantly go see what is was like it was in Melee and somewhat brawl has lost a bit of meaning.

Their is just so many what are just not interesting,

@ thirsty-pocket thirsty-pocket melee had only one Zelda Trophie what wasn’t from oot or mm

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I'm hoping they bring back all previous methods of getting trophies. The capsule toy machine from Melee, the coin launcher mini game from Brawl, and the Trophy shop from 4. Because I think that's a good balance of methods. The capsule toy machine gives you the most trophies per individual coin, but it's completely random. The brawl minigame is fun and gives you an amount of trophies dependent on skill. And the trophy shop is just when you're trying to get the last entries in your trophy collection and you're willing to pay full price with the coins you've saved up.
You're forgetting about Trophy Rush.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
I love collecting things and I love reading them, giving me more background info on stuff I don't know about and having a nostalgia blast for trophies I know of.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
I enjoy collecting them, but after a while I get a little burnt out. Like I'll still and try to collect them, but I care less than I did initially.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I like that they're a thing as it gives people who like to go on collectathons something fun to try in Smash Bros.

MajoraMoon

Smash Apprentice
In brawl, I LOVED collecting the trophies. It was just so fun shooting them down and trying to get a trophy of the character you recognize. But when it came to the Wii U....I didn't care about trophies. It just wasn't fun getting them. Now, if they did the same thing but also with unlocking music. That would be amazing.

Last edited:

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
In brawl, I LOVED collecting the trophies. It was just so fun shooting them down and trying to get a trophy of the character you recognize. But when it came to the Wii U....I didn't care about trophies. It just wasn't fun getting them.
Yesssssss
I agree with this so much, and I hope it’s just as fun to get them in Ultimate

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
In brawl, I LOVED collecting the trophies. It was just so fun shooting them down and trying to get a trophy of the character you recognize. But when it came to the Wii U....I didn't care about trophies. It just wasn't fun getting them. Now, if they did the same thing but also with unlocking music. That would be amazing.
I would rather all music either be unlocked at the start. I didn't want to grind for twenty hours just so I can listen to one music track only available on one stage back in Smash 4 for Wii U, and I still don't have every song I want to listen to even to this day on my copy of that game.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I love collecting trophies, checking out different angles of the figure just to look at the possibly missed details, and I just love reading the descriptions about them. I was collecting a bunch of trophies like crazy in Sm4sh, and the Sablé Prince trophy was really difficult for me to obtain, because you had to get 300,000g. Like why? I would spend a lot of time bidding on For Glory matches in hopes I'd obtain the gold much faster, and it took forever, so I eventually gave up on it. Then one day I got it. I just hope trophies don't end up being tedious to get in the next game.

pap64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pappel64
Switch FC
2966 0225 9209
Here is how my brain works regarding the trophies in the Smash games...

My critical thinking mind says that while they are a really nice addition to the games that create both fan service and Nintendo history, they really add nothing to the overall game save for an incentive for completionists that want to truly 100% the game.

My fanboy side, though, LOVES the trophies to death. Not only are they just fun to collect, I just love seeing what kind of trophies they came up with. This fascination started with Melee, and I love that it has becomes a series staple since. I love that many of them have a lot of effort put into them, even if some of them are just borrowed assets from a previous game. It also gives us context to the playable characters as well as their backstories, either as figuring out who they are, or just reliving great moments. The diorama mode in Smash 4 where you could draw the pictures had me creating hilarious photo mash ups.

Top Bottom