• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who else misses brawl

Perfect patricia

Smash Apprentice
No hate to this game but who else misses brawl online? I know it wasn’t very diverse but it was so fun picking your own stage and the game randomly chose what it was. Taunt parties wasn’t bannable and it was so fun ganging up on one player. The most fun I ever had was going against a god meta knight player in a 3v1 and meta knight was so good in brawl and the player was amazing he would just destroy us. Good times

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I miss the single player content. Brawl had the best single player experience by a mile.

I also miss the OG :zerosuitsamus: before they gave her hooker heels and threw away her juggling upB.

Other than that, nah, I'm good.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I miss Brawl because it’s nostalgic for me. I miss it because of the people I played with and the time of my life I played it in. I have some of the best memories of my life playing FFAs with my friends without a care in the world. Do I miss it as a game though? No. Ultimate is far better

KIRBY MAIN

Smash Cadet
I myself skipped the whole “Wii” generation, so I only got to experience it at my friends house, got to say though, when I first turned on that Switch, definitely felt like a kid again! From what I remember of playing Brawl, Ultimate certainly feels superior to me, personally!
^_^

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
I miss the Speculation/Wait for Brawl. This Forum as a fun place to be during the character reveals/speculations/development of the game.

I do not miss Brawl itself at ALL.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I miss Brawl's array of single player content, which was easily the best in the series. Definitely don't miss Brawl's online though.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I miss the Stage Builder.

Don't miss online though. Mario Kart Wii's? Long waits, but generally performed okay. Brawl? Waits that last forever and lag up the wazoo

Mario Kart's always seemed to have done online better than Smash tbh

SNinjaStudios

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1881-9214-4032
I miss Brawl's single-player content, but I'm perfectly fine with never touching the rest of the game again. I guess I technically still play it in the form of PM though.

ArcticKat

Smash Rookie
I got Brawl the day it came out and loved every bit of it. (But… I can’t believe it’s actually over a decade old. Where does the time go?)

I found it funny when people started mucking around online — doing nothing but wait for somebody to attack first, then gang up on that instigator.
It seems most people I stumble upon on the internet hate these “taunt parties” as they call them. But since these taunt parties were still a thing well into the 3DS/Wii U, I figure it’s a silent majority who likes playing this way.

… Honestly, the only thing I didn’t like about playing Brawl online was letting players vote for which stage to play at next.
I found it super annoying when people kept choosing Final Destination over and over again….

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I do miss Brawl's online actually. It's total garbage but it was one of my first online experience really. It's strange to say that it did have some sort of charm and I think it worked at the time. That being said, if it was still up to this day then my feelings for it probably wouldn't be the same and we'll be back to saying it's complete trash (again, even though it was).

Brawl was a grand experience in single player content and I remember spending bunch of hours getting characters, but mostly for Sonic, and it's funny how I spent so much time playing Sonic that I completely just avoid playing him now these days. Subspace was great moment to my childhood too but the great maze scarred my younger self and I just couldn't beat it till a few years later because God forbid me to pause and understand that map for some reason.

Now these days, while I love Brawl, I can't bring myself to play it except for nostalgia reasons. I'll still get on it more often than I will for smash 4, but Brawl isn't going to with Melee and Ultimate in terms of playing it frequently.

Last edited:

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
I don’t miss slipping radomly. I think ssbu is better in almost every important thing. I don’t mind about subspace for example. I play smash for 1v1 and Free for alls without items on battlefield or omega stages.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Will always have nostalgia for the game itself, its sound effects, graphics, etc. But do I want to go back and play anything but the story mode? Nah.

Christian_CAO

Smash Apprentice
I miss Brawl Mods. Was lots of fun.People still mod and stuff but as new games release folks move on and also life and stuff happen. From kcmm to that banana mod place whose name escapes me. Though I'm hoping the mod scene doesn't get too crazy here in ultimate until maybe a year after release. Miss the content from Starwaffle, Pik, SilentDoom(Virum), and a few bunch of the other animators and creators who made custom content.
Hope everyone from that time are off putting their talent and hardwork to good use

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I never really played Brawl at the time, specially because I only had Wii Remotes and Nunchucks. I tried to play Brawl sometimes and I couldn't play it in a good way with the remote+nunchuck configuration. At the time I blamed the game for having bad controls, but it was actually fault of me, trying to force the Wii Remote configuration to play, cause I loved to play Smash 4 on the WiiU in the GamePad and Pro Controller.
Anyway, after some time I tried Brawl in a emulator, but after playing Smash 4 it was hard to adapt to some missing features on gameplay. But I also tried Subspace Emissary and it was a thing that really deserved some sequel to be improved. Subspace is the mode that Ultimate should have based on to create it's own campaign. I like Spirits, but Spirits doesnt fill the hole that existis because the lack of a proper story mode with levels with progression. It is really something like a huge Events mode in Smash4, and we actually have on the last stage of Spirits a final battle with plataforming elements that actually made me think: "this is very close to how I wanted this entire campaign to be", and this is a bit disappointing.

Last edited:

J05hster

Smash Rookie
The only thing I missed about it was the craziness the way it was so broken made it fun.

ALiBi212

Smash Cadet
NNID
ALiBi212
Stage builder and home run contest are fun little things I miss. I also miss using the C stick to shake the main menu around (why’d they stop doing this?). Plus DACUS was hilariously fun, I miss sliding all around the place as Snake while lighting the sky up with bombs.

Subspace was incredible and had some of the best Nintendo cutscenes ever. It’s amazing to me that they’ve never done it again. Smash Wii U and Ultimate don’t even come close on the single player fun scale.

I was recently at my parents for the holidays, with terrible WiFi, and I found no enjoyment in Ultimate without online. (That said, Ultimates competitive play is the best we’ve had since Melee)

Last edited:

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Yes, I too miss 60% of all tournament winnings being earned by a single character; Meta Knight.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
There are times where I'll miss the game. Pit was definitely fun in it within reasons (especially them arrows, Mirror Shield gimps, and D-tilt spiking, and glidetossing), the single player content as said before (that includes SSE), stage builder, the opening of doors for boss battles outside of just the hands (not counting Melee's Giga Bowser), the growing variety of franchises involved, Assist Trophy introductions... and well, it introduced me to Pit (not counting the melee Pit trophy).
If the game had patches, better balance, removed random tripping and had a much better online, it could've been much better. Honestly, despite the online being bad, it was the first Smash with online, and that I won't ever forget, especially since online was the only way I could play with others.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I miss the Stage Builder. While Smash 4 did improve on Brawl's Stage Builder in a few ways (freeform platform making, more flexibility for moving platforms, painting lava hazards on any solid surface so damaging ceilings and walls could be a thing, having knockback growth on hazardous surfaces, including cannons), it also took a few steps backward (why did they remove ladders, ice, conveyor belts, carousels, and fixed-knockback hazards?!). Also, not being able to save stages to SD Cards and only being able to save 100 of them (as well as making replays count against this limit) was flat-out dumb, and some of the improvements didn’t go far enough (there was no option to have Danger Zone hazards like the Great Cave Offensive, platforms could still only move back and forth, solid terrain couldn't move, and designing terrain the way you wanted to with the free-form terrain drawer could be... difficult (and if you made any mistakes while designing a complicated piece of terrain, you most likely had to start all over)).

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Brawl was pretty fun. Subspace was pretty fun (Up until the great maze, anyway) and the Stage Builder was a great addition with fun games like Dorfball and Duelist. The ease of hacking it made some great stages, new characters and other game modes. Brawl- in particular was pretty awesome.

I can't really think what people disliked abou-

Oh yeah, it was designed to be a lot less competative. Oh, and Metaknight too.

It was fun at the time. Do I miss it? Not really.

Nepht

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4207 3323 3722
No hate to this game but who else misses brawl online? I know it wasn’t very diverse but it was so fun picking your own stage and the game randomly chose what it was. Taunt parties wasn’t bannable and it was so fun ganging up on one player. The most fun I ever had was going against a god meta knight player in a 3v1 and meta knight was so good in brawl and the player was amazing he would just destroy us. Good times
I don't miss Brawl as I still fire it up to play Subspace now and then.

Dante064

Smash Rookie
I miss how Brawl felt like a complete game. Home run contest, break the targets, events mode, co-op events mode. A perfect universe Nintendo would release these modes as free DLC, or as part of a year 2 seasonal pass.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
I do a ton. Its my fav smash game and id argue with anyone to death about why brawl is the GOAT. no other smash is like it in any way and no newer smash will ever be. Its that super unique black sheep. If brawls online wasnt shut down would be playing it ALOT more than ultimate and, i have 205+ hours played in ultimate. All ultimate serves for me is a smash fix to play online but everytime i play i cant help but miss brawl. I skipped the wii u one for a reason.

EGsmash

Smash Apprentice
I don't mostly because the online service was trash and I played it for like a hot minute. SSE was pretty fun though.

I do miss 64 mostly because of nostalgia, though it's really hard to play these days because I'm spoiled by all the fancy crap we have now.

What I really miss since Ultimate came out is Smash 4,

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I personally enjoyed Smash Brawl more than Smash 64, Melee, and 4 combined, and I'm willing to bet a lot of people did. It had the best casual modes by far. SubSpace Emissary, Stage Builder, Event Matches, and the actual game play was very fun for larger parties.

I'm actually willing to bet that more players had fun with Smash Brawl than with any other Smash game. It was tied with Smash Melee for the longest life cycle, was on the most popular console by far, and sold the most copies of any Smash Game to date.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I still have Brawl. Shikashi, there is not much about it I miss, particularly random tripping and how serious stale-move negation was that even Pokèball attacks were affected too. If you do not believe me, control two characters in a match and have them use nothing but Pokèballs. As for its online I am indifferent since I have never used it. Judging by its reception, it is a good thing I never touched it. Now that I have nearly 20 different games to cycle through, I return to Brawl every once in a while.

So****e, Smash 4 is my new love because of the debut of my girls :rosalina::4bayonetta2:. Ultimate will be my brand-new love as soon as I get my hands on it. Y'all are having fun without me!

Sayonara :kirby:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Brawl was ok. That’s about the extent of my opinion on it. It was fun for what it was, but high level play was a bit sad to watch in the long run.

It’s more nostalgic than anything now since it was my first tournament game. So I tend to look at it through rose-colored glasses. It was fun learning all the tech with my friends and practicing it on each other. Getting 17th-25th in every local because there was no such thing as good online and we only had each other and training mode to practice. But then I remember all the chainthrows, infinites, and broken air dodge, shield, and ledge mechanics. So I put the nostalgia goggles back on and never put the disc in.

Last edited:

Isaac4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
someletters
3DS FC
4270-5125-0529
Switch FC
SW-0987-8922-3098
Brawl was a good game to play when you just wanted some chaos. Besides that though, eh. I still have the game and I have a lot of great memories playing it but if I had to choose to play ultimate or brawl I wouldn't have a problem choosing ultimate.

Also, Brawl doesn't have Mewto.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
To me, Brawl was cancer. Maybe a few things it gave us was ok and it was only bearable because I had family/friends playing it. Outside of it, it's just a blackstain that'll never wash away for me in the series. The tripping, the online lag and dumb taunt parties, starting the whole AT=deconfirmed characters, 3rd parties being the primary focus for characters now-it's just one big mess I hope to forget but to be kept reminded of since it's practically this generations' first Smash Bros.

evildevil97

Smash Apprentice
NNID
evildevil97
I don't...
(lag... lag... lag...)
miss Brawl's
(lag... lag...)
(lag... lag...)
at all
(lost connection)

Steelmullet

Smash Apprentice
I don't...
(lag... lag... lag...)
miss Brawl's
(lag... lag...)
(lag... lag...)
at all
(lost connection)
seems the same to me. no difference between brawl and smash ultimate as far as online is concerned....Actually, I think it's a fact that the same netcode is used in both games. Smart move ;)

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I miss Subspace and stage builder.
I should expand. I miss casual Brawl. I miss those days as a kid where I had no idea that competitive Smash existed and it was just me and my brothers playing with sideways wii remotes, items, and crazy custom stages. I played a few characters, mainly :metaknight::dedede::toonlink::pikachu2::kirby2::lucas::pit::ness2:. Yes, I played Meta Knight, I had no idea how broken he was. And nobody cared and we had fun.

Top Bottom