• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who else had to google Terry Bogard?

D

Deleted member

I honestly had no idea he(or his franchise) even existed.

Personally, he seems kinda odd as a fighter pick(considering we have Ryu and Ken as the "martial artist" characters), but I haven't done too much research into his playstyle in his home games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quillion

Smash Hero
SNK is one of the last few Japanese publishers not repped in Smash yet. I guess they're just focusing on them before going for the bigger ones out west.

Also, people largely don't mind that Incineroar and Smash 4-on Bowser are wrestler characters, and they also largely don't mind that Greninja and Sheik are ninja characters. What makes Terry so odd?

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I think I've at least heard the name of the series once or twice before. All I can say about him.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Not me. Even before the SNK leak he was one of my most wanted characters.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Ironically, I first learned about Terry and Fatal Fury/KOF in general through reading Nintendo Power, before I was into fighting games. He and SNK are a huge deal and thanks to Smash, more people can acknowledge their existence and contribution to game history. Nothing odd about him as a Smash character.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'm suprised by the number of people that DON'T know Terry. His series is classic, he was featured prominently in the Capcom vs SNK games, he still makes appearances in King of Fighters and has had several animes. The guy is one of THE icons of fighting games.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'm suprised by the number of people that DON'T know Terry. His series is classic, he was featured prominently in the Capcom vs SNK games, he still makes appearances in King of Fighters and has had several animes. The guy is one of THE icons of fighting games.
To be fair, even after getting a revival with SF4, fighting games have been falling back into their little niche again lately. DBFZ was a nice attempt to get out of it, though.

D

Deleted member

Why would you be? He isn't really know in the U.S.

/sAnd as we all know, the U.S rules the world /s

But for real,though, most of the people at my school who I asked had no clue wtf Terry even was.

Hell, Ryu is more of an icon/classic than King of Fighters ever was. At least, going by sales

Last edited by a moderator:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Honestly, I don't think there are a lot of iconic fighting game characters other than Ryu, Chun-li, Scorpion, and Sub-Zero.

Other well-known fighting games have well-known brand names like Tekken, Virtua Fighter, and Soulcalibur, but the characters are mainly known to their specific fandoms.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I don't think there are a lot of iconic fighting game characters other than Ryu, Chun-li, Scorpion, and Sub-Zero.

Other well-known fighting games have well-known brand names like Tekken, Virtua Fighter, and Soulcalibur, but the characters are mainly known to their specific fandoms.
That's my point imo.

Khao

Smash Lord
Being honest, if you had just shown me a picture of Terry, I wouldn't have been able to tell you he's called Terry. :p

But I definitely recognize him. I know where he's from and what he can do. I always assumed he's specifically a KoF character rather than Fatal Fury though.

He's definitely far from being as famous as Ryu, who's basically a pop culture icon in comparison.

T a c t i c i a n

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 1575-3505-0320
I knew who he was since I'm into fighting games. But I think what's even more surprising to me is that there are people who don't know what SNK even is. Maybe I'm just old...

D

Deleted member

I knew who he was since I'm into fighting games. But I think what's even more surprising to me is that there are people who don't know what SNK even is. Maybe I'm just old...
Yeah, you might just be old.
TBF though I am still kinda young, so maybe not.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I'm 26. I just missed the arcade scene and grew up starting with NES and DOS. Honestly never even played a Street Fighter, but knew about it via many many cultural references. Same for Mortal Kombat. All I knew about SNK was that they did some kind of crossover with Capcom, and I remember when I learned that as a kid, thinking it was strange that a company with so many properties I was familiar with would be crossing over as equals with a company whose games I'd never even heard the names of. It was a strange to me as a crossover between Mario and Glover.

Technourgos

Smash Cadet
A lot of you must be young. I wasn't born in the 70s, but I was young enough where Super Mario Bros. was my first Nintendo game for the NES alongside Kid Icarus. Arcades were still around, even games like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat were played on these. I knew of Fatal Fury, mainly because my best friend enjoyed the series.

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Is it okay if I say not me? I never played Fatal Fury but I knew who he was beforehand.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I knew what SNK was beforehand from SNK vs Capcom.

He was also one of the few male characters to be included in SNK Heroines, which Nintendo has promoted on their channel before.

Nintendo has also promoted the SNK 40th Anniversary on the Switch on their channel before as well.

Senator Phillips

Smash Cadet
Not me, always been a huge Fatal Fury and King of Fighters fan back to the arcade days, and while I never expected to get him as a character, am stupidly satisfied that he's going to be on the roster. Now if we can just get Doom Guy at some point....

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Yeah, you might just be old.
TBF though I am still kinda young, so maybe not.
That's pretty much the answer, you are too young to have had any exposure to SNK properties.

Region depends as well. KOF and Fatal Fury have enjoyed immense popularity in Latin America, Japan and China. I'm not sure how that was for the US, but in the 90s and early to mid 2000s they were almost everywhere in arcades.

Quillion

Smash Hero
That's pretty much the answer, you are too young to have had any exposure to SNK properties.

Region depends as well. KOF and Fatal Fury have enjoyed immense popularity in Latin America, Japan and China. I'm not sure how that was for the US, but in the 90s and early to mid 2000s they were almost everywhere in arcades.
From what I can tell, a lot of SNK's stuff tends to be "just another fighting game" in the US as opposed to being mega-icons in other regions.

cj.

Smash Journeyman
I'm a SNK fan since as long as I can remember and Terry was my most wanted along with Nakoruru

KatKit

Smash Lord
I'm just glad to know that Smash is bringing more awareness to a company (and character) that helped shape the fighting game genre as we know it. He deserves the recognition, and to those of you who are unfamiliar with him, I assure you he will be a great addition to the roster.

With that being said, I knew who Terry was before Google was even a thing. ;)

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
You know, does it really matter if we have to Google someone to know who they are if they're in Smash? I had to Google who Ness, Captain Falcon, Marth, and Roy were back in the Melee days and Smash had made or helped make all of them into icons in their own right.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I mean, I had already done some looking up thanks to rumors I think, but he should say something about the state of third party picks. My main hope is that most of the DLC are one offs and won't be back.
To me, he just doesn't feel Nintendo'esque. Idunno, I really didn't have a clue who he was.
You could say that about Cloud. At least you probably knew who he was.

Last edited:

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
I vaguely knew of him and SNK in general but not very much
Even so it doesn’t matter, not everybody will know everybody. I didn’t know Lucina, Robin, or Shulk when they were announced but they still deserve to be here (to be fair I was quite young, so it’s not the best example)

Top Bottom